Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Yooper posted:

Depends where you are. California, yah, property is ridiculous. In my area you can get a lot in a small town for a couple of grand. Though you can't legally put up a trailer house anymore, zoning did away with it. You can put one up in a specially zoned trailer park.

A friend of mine did some design work on a weird rear end custom house for an executive consultant. It had steel catwalks linking the bedrooms and a concrete tube rising up through the center of the living room for an open hearth fire. I can't find the tube picture, but there's the concrete bathroom.

Isn't that the house with the rolling chain pull garage bedroom doors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Same here.

amethystdragon posted:

If memory serves you want to make sure to own the land rather then rent because land owners can charge more rent and have renters over the barrel if they cannot afford to move.
(Some research article/video I'm remembering having read/watched but not enough to reference)

A friend of mine was in that situation before I met him. Local trailer park was sold to a large corporation who started raising the rent and changing rules. He eventually bought a cheap house (which has since proved to be something of a money pit, thanks to additions made by a Handy-Andy previous owner.) Since his mobile home was a cheap piece of crap, he basically couldn't sell it, and moving costs were expensive, so he literally disassembled it on-site over the course of a couple months after moving to his house. Renting dumpsters and paying the disposal fees was cheaper than moving the thing, and he was able to get some crap value for appliances, frame, axles, etc.

Kind of fascinating.
Only reason I would voluntarily live in a mobile is a temporary situation, like say when building a house on new property. Some of the newer manufactured housing is pretty well build, and really only designed to be moved once or twice, but the traditional cheap mobile homes are just that: cheap.

...Why?
I mean, if you want it grounded, there's a giant metal grid right there (I know that's not the right answer, but it would be more useful than a small pile of dirt.)

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I thought they were big boxes, it's just an empty card catalogue like you used to see at libraries.

Yep. Index card file. That wasn't clear in the initial photos.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Darchangel posted:

...Why?
I mean, if you want it grounded, there's a giant metal grid right there (I know that's not the right answer, but it would be more useful than a small pile of dirt.)

It's a joke, you robot.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Isn't that the house with the rolling chain pull garage bedroom doors?

I'm not sure tbh, the photos seem to show boring doors.

The shower has a prison vibe.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Some of the newer manufactured housing is pretty well build, and really only designed to be moved once or twice, but the traditional cheap mobile homes are just that: cheap.

Once. You can't insure them if you move them again.

Which means they aren't worth poo poo as soon as they are put on site. This is good if you're looking for a quick hunting cabin to put on your land. A little patience and you can pick one up for basically the cost of moving it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Darchangel posted:

...Why?

It's a :britain: generator, so it needs to be earthed, not grounded.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Darchangel posted:

...Why?

It's from ISS, the only way for grounding they have. They swap the dirt when a supply ship visits the station.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Nenonen posted:

It's from ISS, the only way for grounding they have. They swap the dirt when a supply ship visits the station.

Well you gotta get rid of those leftover electrons somehow.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Yooper posted:

I'm not sure tbh, the photos seem to show boring doors.

The shower has a prison vibe.

God, I wonder how much that dude spent to achieve the serial killer vibe

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Proteus Jones posted:

It's a joke, you robot.

That's not a given in this forum/thread.

Nevets posted:

It's a :britain: generator, so it needs to be earthed, not grounded.

Nice.

Nenonen posted:

Even better.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Shovel it into the boiler for the ion drive.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darchangel posted:

...Why?
instructions say to place the rod in bare dirt. rod is placed in bare dirt.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

if the power is coming in through the green powerstrip it could have a breaker but I am guessing the power is coming in from the brown plug and the greem powerstrip plug is pluged into another distirbution power strip. (In a coffee can for safety)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Elephanthead posted:

(In a coffee can for safety)

That's junction can to you

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Yooper posted:

Depends where you are. California, yah, property is ridiculous. In my area you can get a lot in a small town for a couple of grand. Though you can't legally put up a trailer house anymore, zoning did away with it. You can put one up in a specially zoned trailer park.

A friend of mine did some design work on a weird rear end custom house for an executive consultant. It had steel catwalks linking the bedrooms and a concrete tube rising up through the center of the living room for an open hearth fire. I can't find the tube picture, but there's the concrete bathroom.

I love living in Silent Hill. It’s the greatest town on earth.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

That's junction can to you

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm betting that that Romex used to be white & someone switched to burning the stuff rather than sucking on it.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm betting that that Romex used to be white & someone switched to burning the stuff rather than sucking on it.
Sucking on Romex just sounds like a bad idea tbh.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

When I turned the "shop" area of my basement into my home office, I had to remove the old canning cupboard, since it took up a lot of space and was too small to be useful for storage. It was also the only part of the entire house that was insulated. With sawdust. The light fixture(bare bulb in a ceramic base) had a coffee can for an electrical box, that was completely surrounded in saw dust. Worked well enough I guess, seeing as the house was built in the late 20's and I removed it in 2018.

I also found a page from a newspaper inside the wall cavity that my wife ended up having framed. One side was the sports page, but the other was random want ads, including things like someone offering their home phone number as a sort of answering service for fisherman who didn't have a permanent house. The funny thing was, the newspaper wasn't used to hold in the sawdust, there was a layer of brown butchers paper for that. Someone had just stapled it up for some reason.

We also found a time capsule of sorts from one of the old owners. It had his fishing license from the 50's along with a bunch of letters his wife had sent him while he was out working on fishing boats in Alaska, that are written in old Norwegian, which apparently barely anyone knows anymore. We actually reached out to the Nordic heritage museum to see about getting them translated, but we still need to follow up and take them in. There were also cans of chewing tabacco, one unopened and one that was still mostly full. Tried to get some of the construction guys to try someone, but no one would.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Dienes posted:

I bet they'd be great for storing Magic cards.
:goonsay:

That's totally a thing people do

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Why hideous fluorescent tape, they have little name card holders ffs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Arrath posted:

B-b-but :effort:..!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Go through the effort of getting a nice storage rack and organize them all then halfass the final step.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Arrath posted:

It could have looked quite classy had they done that and kept the top clear.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

It could have looked quite classy had they done that and kept the top clear.

Clear for some "The Joker" Funky Poops!

e: Business idea: Funwaa Pops! Nerds are going to go wild for those rare Chintus.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

slurry_curry posted:

We also found a time capsule of sorts from one of the old owners. It had his fishing license from the 50's along with a bunch of letters his wife had sent him while he was out working on fishing boats in Alaska, that are written in old Norwegian, which apparently barely anyone knows anymore. We actually reached out to the Nordic heritage museum to see about getting them translated, but we still need to follow up and take them in. There were also cans of chewing tabacco, one unopened and one that was still mostly full. Tried to get some of the construction guys to try someone, but no one would.

While turn of the (last) century Norwegian is further removed from current-day Norwegian than is the case with English, it's readable enough - but I bet he had some godawful (but neat) German-inspired handwriting. :)
If you post an image I can take a shot, but I'm not great at dechiffering old cursive - and there's always the chance he wrote in some obscure dialect from his old two-sheep village in outer nowhere.

On the off chance anyone cares, there is a good historical reason that the language changed as much as it did: Norwegian and Danish are mutually intelligible, but inherit from different dialects of old Norse. Norway was under Danish rule 1397-1814, and when we got around to public schools and the like, pure Danish became the official language. This thoroughly shaped Norwegian (especially the city dialects), but when we dropped out of the Union there was still a strong mismatch between the spoken and written language that took about a century to work out. The period from, say, 1850-1930 was rather ... innovative, spelling-wise, and that worked it's way backward into the spoken language as well, when un-Danish phrasings crept back into polite usage.
(There was also a secondary weaker Swedish influence 1814-1905; we left the union with Denmark directly into one with Sweden as a war price. Swedish is also mutually intelligible with Norwegian, but a bit further from Danish.)

Which makes Danish rap super funny to us, because it's like hearing Dickens trying to be gangsta.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 27, 2019

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Computer viking posted:

Which makes Danish rap super funny to us, because it's like hearing Dickens trying to be gangsta.

Danish rap sounds like a breakfast sandwich.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Or a dog, but I can absolutely imagine it on a Guardian UK recipe page.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
MC Einar!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Arrath posted:

Yeah, the tape make me kind of angry TBH.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I could see doing the tape thing as a temporary measure while trying to figure out exactly which drawers would wind up holding what, but... like, maybe don't take the photo until you're done and have the nice labels in place

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
There is nothing about that setup that indicates the person gives a single gently caress about aesthetics. They scored that incredibly piece of furniture entirely for it's function and will slap tape on it for the entirety of it's service.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I'd use whatever tape I had laying around, too.

That it apparently annoys the gently caress of some people is a bonus.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Granted, my M:tG collection was never anywhere NEAR as massive as that, but is it a common organizing technique to sort cards by FUNCTION (i.e. counterspell, steal/swap, give flying) as that fellow has done?

I guess if you needed to construct a new deck to serve XYZ purpose, I can see it helping since it's unlikely you' have literally EVERY card name+function/text memorized. So you want a counterspell deck, well there you go, there's all your counterspell cards.

But on the other hand, not every card fits neatly into a category, so if you're, say, using an online deck builder and it says to get the card that both counterspells AND draws cards, what category is it in? Though even that guys collection doesn't look so big that it would take an inordinate amount of time to look in the 2 or 3 spots it might be, so I guess whatever way you want is fine?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

Granted, my M:tG collection was never anywhere NEAR as massive as that, but is it a common organizing technique to sort cards by FUNCTION (i.e. counterspell, steal/swap, give flying) as that fellow has done?

I guess if you needed to construct a new deck to serve XYZ purpose, I can see it helping since it's unlikely you' have literally EVERY card name+function/text memorized. So you want a counterspell deck, well there you go, there's all your counterspell cards.

But on the other hand, not every card fits neatly into a category, so if you're, say, using an online deck builder and it says to get the card that both counterspells AND draws cards, what category is it in? Though even that guys collection doesn't look so big that it would take an inordinate amount of time to look in the 2 or 3 spots it might be, so I guess whatever way you want is fine?

:colbert: What you do is set up a location code for each drawer, with arbitrarily coded subdividers (say every 15 or 20 cards). Then you have a spreadsheet/database that tracks each card's location and has indexable keywords and descriptions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

:colbert: What you do is set up a location code for each drawer, with arbitrarily coded subdividers (say every 15 or 20 cards). Then you have a spreadsheet/database that tracks each card's location and has indexable keywords and descriptions.

or, or, and bear with me here, maybe what you do is get out the trusty old typewriter, and create indexes of where the cards are, organized by some type of numbering system. and then of course, you'd need some sort of drawer thingy to store your index cards in...

the real answer is to sort them alphabetically by card name, and then use software or apps to look up cards that do what you want, and that app tells you the name of the card and then you just go find it by name, and this system is the best for managing an expanding/shrinking collection without going insane, too

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

the real answer is to sort them alphabetically by card name, and then use software or apps to look up cards that do what you want, and that app tells you the name of the card and then you just go find it by name, and this system is the best for managing an expanding/shrinking collection without going insane, too

If my fabric collection is anything to go by, this does not allow for wasting a whole afternoon reorganizing everything into a different system that you think will work better every couple of months.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

there wolf posted:

If my fabric collection is anything to go by, this does not allow for wasting a whole afternoon reorganizing everything into a different system that you think will work better every couple of months.

I used to reorganise my DVDs for fun, which I assume is some symptom of a spectrum disorder.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

drgitlin posted:

MC Einar!

That's a reference and a half. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Jaded Burnout posted:

I used to reorganise my DVDs for fun, which I assume is some symptom of a spectrum disorder.

How come the people who enjoy sorting stuff have a mental condition and the people who think fifty two pickup is a fun joke are just classified as assholes?