Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Relin posted:

i got a friend to start watching eva, her first question is why shinji was required to pilot

The answer is a spoiler. That I'm honestly not sure is included in it's own work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
They tell you why Shinji has to pilot the Eva in the first episode: because there is no one else who can.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PathAsc posted:

I'm just happy to have another movie

i'm never happy

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Captain Invictus posted:

i'm never happy

Happiness is a crutch

Get in the loving robot Shinji Captain

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I want the original series to be remastered because I want to show people anime nonsense without apologizing for its production values. Oh well there's still Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop: the only good amines.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

But then you’d still have to apologize for the creepy anime poo poo.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Arglebargle III posted:

I want the original series to be remastered because I want to show people anime nonsense without apologizing for its production values. Oh well there's still Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop: the only good amines.

What? When you show your friends old movies, do you have to apologize for their production values, too?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Arglebargle III posted:

grainy rear end 4:3 is the only true aesthetic, gently caress the posers

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
no compromise we run out of budget like men

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm with you, but for me Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 were interesting because they WEREN'T just straight-up remastered remakes - there was stuff there for the first time viewer, but there were lots of hints in there of things being 'different' that served as a hook for people who had watched the series too. But yes, the production values were another draw. Ramiel with a theatre surround system was... wow.
I was very keen to see what the payoff of the changes were going to be.

In this thread I'm in the unpopular minority of people that thinks that 3.0 is a disappointing garbage fire after 1.0 and 2.0, but I've harped on about that enough in this thread already.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Why is Rebuild 1.0 a straight remake and Rebuild 2.0 almost a straight remake until it veers wildly off course in the last ten minutes and then Rebuild 3.0 is a lower grade of anime nonsense than we've come to expect from Evangelion? Couldn't they just have finished re-animating the show and End of Evangelion before they went off on alternate timelines?

Rebuild 1 is not a straight remake. There a small, but considerable, differences

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zeruel posted:

no compromise we run out of budget like men
animate an entire show exactly like your avatar, just sketches and crayon

also make it a deadly serious drama

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Captain Invictus posted:

animate an entire show exactly like your avatar, just sketches and crayon

also make it a deadly serious drama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC-zPWb7bQc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
someone besides don hertzfeldt :colbert:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Mecha Ted Turner is probably a username that is available

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Is there an Oyasumi Punpun anime yet?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Zeruel posted:

Is there an Oyasumi Punpun anime yet?

If only :smith: I believe Asano said he never wants an anime of it to be made.

Everyone in here should go ready Oyasumi Punpun / Goodnight Punpun, it's some real fuckin good sadbrain manga, hits a lot of the same emotional notes as Eva does.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

If only :smith: I believe Asano said he never wants an anime of it to be made.

Everyone in here should go ready Oyasumi Punpun / Goodnight Punpun, it's some real fuckin good sadbrain manga, hits a lot of the same emotional notes as Eva does.

That's fair enough.

e: Those emotional notes being:

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 27, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So what do you guys think about the common assertion that End of Evangelion is a "huge gently caress you" to the fans who were unhappy with episodes 25 & 26? That's not the impression that I get at all. People tend to mention the anti-fan-service in the movie as evidence of this but NGE used un-erotic nudity throughout its run. Asuka has been naked onscreen before and it was depressing the last time too. Also the show has been against running away and escaping your problems since forever, and the audience has been explicitly addressed in episode 26 as well. Not sure where any of the "gently caress you" is in the movie that wasn't in the show.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Arglebargle III posted:

So what do you guys think about the common assertion that End of Evangelion is a "huge gently caress you" to the fans who were unhappy with episodes 25 & 26? That's not the impression that I get at all. People tend to mention the anti-fan-service in the movie as evidence of this but NGE used un-erotic nudity throughout its run. Asuka has been naked onscreen before and it was depressing the last time too. Also the show has been against running away and escaping your problems since forever, and the audience has been explicitly addressed in episode 26 as well. Not sure where any of the "gently caress you" is in the movie that wasn't in the show.

It's an incredibly dumb take that emerged out of misinformation and internet rumors. Evangelion is incredibly sympathetic to people who are suffering from loneliness and confusion; the fact that EoE doesn't shy away from their shortcomings or breakdowns doesn't make it hostile, it just makes it honest.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

like think for a minute about someone who watches a movie that says, essentially, "the only way out is through", concludes that this must be a personal attack against some person or class of people -- but not them, definitely. it's aimed at some nebulous other group of other people in the same fandom.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I did always think the cum scene was a stealth attack on the commodification and consumption of sexualized young girls in anime through studios and fans though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The_Rob posted:

I did always think the cum scene was a stealth attack on the commodification and consumption of sexualized young girls in anime through studios and fans though.

it'd be nice if it were and while there is a certain resentment to the constraints of creating in the anime industry in Evangelion, i don't think it lines up that neatly with the cultural tics of western anime fans

like there's an interview from somewhere between Rebuild 1 and Rebuild 2 coming out where Anno talks about what his goals for were with Evangelion and how he thought he succeeded or failed; let me see if I can find it first, I don't want to accidentally misrepresent the contents :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

This is the article (or at least one of them) that I was thinking of, although it was a public statement, rather than an interview: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-02-20/hideaki-anno-releases-statement-about-new-evangelion-movies

In particular:

quote:

Specifically, among the stagnant mood of the present day, it is the portrayal of will - not technology - that is most important.
To support the fans that support animation, we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from Anime, was necessary.
When we decided that we wanted to something to support the anime [industry] of today, the determination to return to this title was strong.

Like, the subtext there is that he's sick of anime aimed at adult otaku at the expense of actually drawing in a new, younger audience, but that's more about where the use of sexuality in his works is aimed, and about artistic stagnation, rather than suggesting that he's categorically against it for moral reasons.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is the article (or at least one of them) that I was thinking of, although it was a public statement, rather than an interview: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-02-20/hideaki-anno-releases-statement-about-new-evangelion-movies

In particular:

Like, the subtext there is that he's sick of anime aimed at adult otaku at the expense of actually drawing in a new, younger audience, but that's more about where the use of sexuality in his works is aimed, and about artistic stagnation, rather than suggesting that he's categorically against it for moral reasons.

I mean even if it’s not for moral reasons I think we’re both saying pretty much the same thing just from different perspectives. It seems like he considers it kind of cheap and lazy which I completely agree with.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i never understood the whole idea EoE is "gently caress you, otaku!!!!" when Anno, by his own admission, is a massive otaku dweeb. you don't write a character like Shinji and have him come across as so realistically broken that people still hate him years later without having lived through that depression and isolation yourself. EoE almost literally spells out it's themes for you, you have to be incredibly bad at media comprehension to miss it telling you "i know it's scary, but please please please just try to make a friend or two."

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Archer666 posted:

She was also supposed to be in a wheelchair at some point and I think I read an interview with one of the people working on Eva that she won't really have active role in the new movie... so yeah at this point she's just pure fanservice.
Misato delivers when she promises "Oh, and more fanservice!".

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm reading that catalog of translated material and the story of the voice actors reading the final script was pretty funny. Two of the voice actors started crying reading the script to 25 and Anno responded by striking a bodybuilder pose. Also, turns out there's a missing episode between 25 and 26 that would eventually be rolled into End of Evangelion. So it seems like everyone saying that EoE overlaps with 25 & 26 are correct. I mean, the experimental sequences are there, just cut down, in EoE.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm reading that catalog of translated material and the story of the voice actors reading the final script was pretty funny. Two of the voice actors started crying reading the script to 25 and Anno responded by striking a bodybuilder pose. Also, turns out there's a missing episode between 25 and 26 that would eventually be rolled into End of Evangelion. So it seems like everyone saying that EoE overlaps with 25 & 26 are correct. I mean, the experimental sequences are there, just cut down, in EoE.

It's been known for a while that there was an early version of episodes 25 and 26 that were rejected by the broadcaster for content reasons (and the script for this is out on the internet if you're curious and can read Japanese -- I've seen it but can't), is the lost episode the same thing as that or something entirely unknown till now?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's been known for a while that there was an early version of episodes 25 and 26 that were rejected by the broadcaster for content reasons (and the script for this is out on the internet if you're curious and can read Japanese -- I've seen it but can't), is the lost episode the same thing as that or something entirely unknown till now?

Shinji wanking over an unconscious girl was too hot for TV.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Shinji wanking over an unconscious girl was too hot for TV.

I mean, there's also a lot of civilians getting brutally slaughtered by (thinly veiled analogues for) JSDF soldiers, GNR, Misato propositioning Shinji to motivate him... I'm not sure exactly how much of this made it into the original 25+26 but it's supposed to more or less be a 45-minute version of EoE.

e: apparently that scene actually DOESN'T happen in the script, although a more abstract cousin of it does:

https://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:End_of_Evangelion_Screenplays

e2: there's a rough translation, too!

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 29, 2019

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
https://kotaku.com/gainax-president-arrested-after-taking-nude-photos-of-t-1840227841

rip eva 4.0

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

quote:

Yomiuri reports that these events are suspected to have occurred earlier this year in February at a Tokyo apartment. At that time, Maki was involved in developing voice talent. According to Sankei News, Maki’s own apartment was dubbed “Production Women’s Dormitory” (Purodakushon Jyoshiryou or プロダクション女子寮). Kyodo News adds that the voice actors were allegedly contractually obligated to live at Maki’s apartment.

:stare:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

That’s not very illustrious of you

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/sakyuuga/status/1202542829295165441?s=21

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah pretty sure all the good people who used to work at Gainax moved on to other companies like Trigger and Khara.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, Gainax has had basically nobody for years.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
uru in blues gonna happen guyzzz

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rest in piss, Gainax. You rose up out of the trash, and to the trash ye shall return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus
Having seen pretty much everything evangelion a few times now, i decided to watch the movies on acid, and boy can i tell you that was some experience.