Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

nemesis_hub posted:

Blood Boils already gave a perfectly clear explanation.
Pity the movie didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

theblackw0lf posted:

This simultaneously impressed me (for how tragic Anakin’s story is in TPM) and angered me in how poorly it was told). Reading this makes me more sympathetic to Anakin saying “gently caress the jedi”

This is like the pony in the holocaust picture. If you need the story that is explicitly told this way in the movie to be drawn as anime to understand it, it's not the movie's fault you failed to grasp it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
There's usually plenty of things to criticize an Abrams story for, but being too complex to understand is a strange angle

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If Marcus knew what was in the torpedoes why not just kill them immediately (or use them as leverage against Khan, like he was doing originally) rather than going through a convoluted scheme to have Kirk launch them at Kronos.

Marcus and Khan very obviously despise each other. Marcus is the head of section 31, those were his people Khan blows up. Even if it wasn't personal between them, it's perfectly in character for either the war-mongering admiral or demonic space lord to be vicious.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That is literally the plot of those movies. That is Anakins arc.

Its things like this that make me certain people who say things like "why does this character need to explain this, we just watched it happen" are grossly overestimating the average movie goers ability to put a story together.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Honestly Christensens acting is so sketchy in these movies that even if all that were made explicit by Anakin, there’s almost no chance it would have landed.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

No Mods No Masters posted:

Leia's blithe, smug assertion that she, someone who can barely walk or speak, has everything she needs to restore herself to power- after ~99.99% of her forces have been killed and the entire galaxy has been conquered by nazis- will remain the most perfect and crystalline expression of a particular political moment

once you realize that TLJ is #resistance incarnate it makes a lot more sense and critiques of it can become more coherent

the way the movie seems like it's going in an interesting, maybe even revolutionary new direction and then totally fails to commit and backpedals? that's Obamaism. the way it treats the First Order as totally comically ridiculous yet they stomp the Resistance's loving asses into the ground? that's Trump. the way they a save few of the animals to make themselves feel a little better on a personal level but it does nothing to fix any structural problems? that's inspirational stories about someone's grandma still working, plastic straw bans, the individual mandate, debt forgiveness for students who start a business on a Tuesday when the moon is full

colored hair woman dressing down a man in a way that looks feminist on the most rudimentary, pandering surface level but is totally empty of meaning. don't make sacrifices for a cause Finn, you the individual are more important and love will save us. yes we lost, but we just need to have hope and keep using exactly the same strategies and we'll win

it perfectly, inadvertently depicts a specific historical psychosis through cinema. The Last Jedi is a masterpiece

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Boxman posted:

Honestly Christensens acting is so sketchy in these movies that even if all that were made explicit by Anakin, there’s almost no chance it would have landed.

Christensen's performance is perfectly effective at conveying everything that’s going on with Anakin; it’s probably the most raw and honest portrayal of any character in the series. However, it’s also off-putting for exactly that reason.

Next to gallant, charming Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan, or even Natalie Portman's idealistic ingenue turned political prodigy (probably the weakest performance in the prequels), Hayden's Anakin is a wreck. He's awkward, he's socially inept, but he's the only one with any sense that what's going on around him isn’t right. The only person who's capable of validating that feeling is, unfortunately, the bad guy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I dont know if I should fault Hayden or Lucas for that because Anakin in the The Clone Wars is compelling and deep. It's such a better portrayal of the character.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Its Coke posted:

once you realize that TLJ is #resistance incarnate it makes a lot more sense and critiques of it can become more coherent

the way the movie seems like it's going in an interesting, maybe even revolutionary new direction and then totally fails to commit and backpedals? that's Obamaism. the way it treats the First Order as totally comically ridiculous yet they stomp the Resistance's loving asses into the ground? that's Trump. the way they a save few of the animals to make themselves feel a little better on a personal level but it does nothing to fix any structural problems? that's inspirational stories about someone's grandma still working, plastic straw bans, the individual mandate, debt forgiveness for students who start a business on a Tuesday when the moon is full

colored hair woman dressing down a man in a way that looks feminist on the most rudimentary, pandering surface level but is totally empty of meaning. don't make sacrifices for a cause Finn, you the individual are more important and love will save us. yes we lost, but we just need to have hope and keep using exactly the same strategies and we'll win

it perfectly, inadvertently depicts a specific historical psychosis through cinema. The Last Jedi is a masterpiece

Yeah, the movie makes a lot more sense viewing it through this lens. It’s very Clintonian.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
In order to make the new trilogy a true parallel for our times, Dexter Jettster should have been elected president of the republic senate.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I still think the tragic arc of Anakin would have been way better if he were aged up in TPM. Keep literally everything just age him up a bit

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vintersorg posted:

I dont know if I should fault Hayden or Lucas for that because Anakin in the The Clone Wars is compelling and deep. It's such a better portrayal of the character.

The Clone Wars is portraying him at the point in his life when he's at his most confident and is allowed a good amount agency, as opposed to when he's anxious and powerless.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He also slides into believable anger and darkness.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

George H.W. oval office posted:

I still think the tragic arc of Anakin would have been way better if he were aged up in TPM. Keep literally everything just age him up a bit

It’s maybe the most easily fixable problem in the prequels. Anakin should have been Luke’s age circa the original Star Wars.

This would have made Yoda’s ESB comments about Luke being too old more resonant too, given he would have been speaking from experience after seeing Anakin fall after starting his training around the same age.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Vintersorg posted:

Anakin's fall is a good example of the importance of artistry in cinema. everything about it sounds like a great tragic story in theory, but the way it was actually put to film sucks and falls flat

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Jesus posted:

This is like the pony in the holocaust picture. If you need the story that is explicitly told this way in the movie to be drawn as anime to understand it, it's not the movie's fault you failed to grasp it.

What the

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Its Coke posted:

Anakin's fall is a good example of the importance of artistry in cinema. everything about it sounds like a great tragic story in theory, but the way it was actually put to film sucks and falls flat
No, you see, we needed to film entire movies in front of just green screen because...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Its Coke posted:

theblackw0lf's post suggests the opposite. It's not a matter of the story being poorly told, it's a matter of the story not being understood. The demand isn't that the movies should have more artistry but less. How is the viewer supposed to understand something bad is happening unless there's a close up of a child's unhappy expression?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I demand a Revenge of the Sith Special Edition where I get to watch newly knighted Darth Vader bisect younglings.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Schwarzwald posted:

theblackw0lf's post suggests the opposite.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schwarzwald posted:

theblackw0lf's post suggests the opposite. It's not a matter of the story being poorly told, it's a matter of the story not being understood. The demand isn't that the movies should have more artistry but less. How is the viewer supposed to understand something bad is happening unless there's a close up of a child's unhappy expression?

Right: the incomprehensible thing in the prequels, for many, is that everyone is really happy. This is why you have these calls to "age up" Anakin, or make him really visibly distraught and crying at everything.

The terrifying reality is that Anakin doesn't realize the impact that what he's doing is having on him. He's innocent - he's having fun, he's helping people. He doesn't understand that he's killed like 3 million people, because he's a good guy and good guys don't kill people. Anakin doesn't realize, at the age of 10, just how badly being taken from his mother will gently caress him up - because of course he doesn't. He's a kid.

He was always under the illusion that things would be ok - that, at some point, his work as a Jedi would lead to his mother's liberation.

And this extends to all the characters: they're good people, they're happy. So how did things go so catastrophically awry? And the only sensible answer is that being a good person isn't enough to beat the dark side. In fact, it clouds your vision to the fact that the dark side is omnipresent.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TOO BAD THE PREQUELS WERE BAD MOVIES.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjdjyvnOGtg

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

It is too bad, yeah. Would've been cool if someone made good movies out of this story.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Robotnik Nudes posted:

This is what Baby Yoda is.

Paranoia agent was actually about a Japanese man accusing people of avoiding facing their sins and the sins of their country through consumption of cute mascots so it's pretty apt.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

It's fascinating just how much star wars fans don't like star wars.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don’t blame Christiansen or Jake Lloyd. There are great actors in the prequels and almost everyone sucks across the board. Those two just happened to be the cute face of baby Darth so fanboys threw when straight under the bus.

Christiansen plays a great whiny twerp in Shattered Glass.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I mean both things can be true, there are bad performances across the board in the prequels but even by the standard set there Christensen is really bad

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Bad acting?? In an outer space fantasy movie!?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

weekly font posted:

I don’t blame Christiansen or Jake Lloyd. There are great actors in the prequels and almost everyone sucks across the board. Those two just happened to be the cute face of baby Darth so fanboys threw when straight under the bus.

In order for us to take these kind of assertions seriously, given the context, you need to be way more specific.

Even in these last couple pages, we've seen people define the very concept of acting as inherently bad. The basic thesis of that twitter cartoon is that the prequels shouldn't have acting. The people onscreen should instead provide studio-audience style reactions to the concepts evoked.

In Phantom Menace, Anakin the character has mixed feelings about leaving his mother but ultimately trusts her decision to send him away. He's nervous, but believes it's for the best.

Now, according to that cartoon, Jake Lloyd should not have acted here. He instead should have started yelling that Anakin is making a bad decision, like an outside observer in Anakin's life. "Don't go into the basement, Anakin!"

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

AndyElusive posted:

I demand a Revenge of the Sith Special Edition where I get to watch newly knighted Darth Vader bisect younglings.

funny you should ask https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ8mwFiXlP8&t=790s

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

McGregor's good, McDiarmid's very good, because they both have the ability to sell crappy dialogue and Portman, Neeson, Jackson et all just don't (but give them a good script and they're fine).

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In order for us to take these kind of assertions seriously, given the context, you need to be way more specific.

Sure! Most of what you said is about Jake Lloyd and other than the weird yippee which isn’t on him he’s a child actor and does what he does. People get salty cause the Plinkett reviews showed an audition with a kid who was mildly less precocious and people latched onto it as LUCAS BAD - gently caress that.

There’s a real disconnect with Christensen for me. When looking at Clones Anakin film only, he comes across as a stunted weirdo with no social skills and his disdain for the volcel no nut November Jedi bullshit. I like that!

But there are a couple deliveries of lines - sorry I don’t have the movie in front of me shrug emoji - I can’t be specific but watching it from the perspective of “this is a movie and those are actors” there are some very clunky deliveries and not just from him, Portman and Jackson too, where I wonder if they were directed to deliver the lines in a stilted way that sounded like high school drama to get across the artificiality of the space opera world. If so, ok they did the thing right, but there are lines that actively pull me out of the movie cause I’m suddenly reminded this is an actor doing acting.

It’s minimal. Largely I think it’s difficult to act against a tennis ball on a stick, something McGregor has been open about, which is why I think disdain for an actor in the prequels is smooth brained poo poo (other than ya know being a human). But there is an artificiality, a play acting, that is more prevalent in the prequels than the OT and I’d argue when people talk about poor acting it’s that.

I’m gonna be honest I don’t remember what my original point was and I may have even ended up arguing against myself but I’m with family for thanksgiving which means I’m enough into the day that I’m trying to type while seeing two phones.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

It's fascinating just how much star wars fans don't like star wars.

I'm just taking the piss. I actually love the prequel trilogy regardless of the flaws.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Blood Boils posted:

Bad acting?? In a room 95% green screen?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

People have acted without movie sets for literally thousands of years

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

multijoe posted:

People have acted without movie sets for literally thousands of years

Tell that to Ian McKellen on the set of The Hobbit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The difference between minimalist theatre and what Ian McKellen had to deal with on the Hobbit is he's in this small space surrounded by electronics and lights with people bustling around, a director barking orders, a tennis ball being shoved in his face

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Couple of shots in here that match up with the leaks, which doesn't bode well for the finished product.

Also they really waste Oscar Isaac in these flicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mat Cauthon posted:

Couple of shots in here that match up with the leaks, which doesn't bode well for the finished product.

Also they really waste Oscar Isaac in these flicks.

nearly everyone is wasted in these movies. because theyre bad.