Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Drink?
This poll is closed.
Water 32 26.67%
Tea 21 17.50%
Soda 28 23.33%
Alcoholic 22 18.33%
I dunno 17 14.17%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

i mean you literally said its just a joke so if you feel its unfair feel free to actually clarify your stance instead of saying you "shan't" continue. like what do you want

I said I'm not getting dragged into this. If you want to PM me to hear why, feel free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

So many of those are absolutely suck

love to get to the end of a chapter and discover the scanlator is a gross pervert and/or a bigot

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

love to get to the end of a chapter and discover the scanlator is a gross pervert and/or a bigot

sad nod of recognition

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

*goes to new Key game website*

Well I'm not sure I'd be into this in 20..*chorus kicks in* Wow this song is a banger god drat

https://twitter.com/VisualArtsUSA/status/1200244950438301697

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm waiting for a mangaka brave enough to do the infamous double fang: fleshfang and tooth fang.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I am free.

And yes, I got time and half.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Congrats Waffle. Did they give you at least 12 hours before your next shift because the last year I did retail they did not

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

lunar detritus posted:

I'm waiting for a mangaka brave enough to do the infamous double fang: fleshfang and tooth fang.

It’s been done multiple times

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dangerous Person posted:

Congrats Waffle. Did they give you at least 12 hours before your next shift because the last year I did retail they did not

So I originally DID get 12 hours but

I agreed to come in earlier because they offered me an extra hour :shobon:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Well, enjoy the money at least

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

lunar detritus posted:

cat mouth with flesh fang, which has sub-fangs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dangerous Person posted:

Well, enjoy the money at least

i need the money

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

people are already comparing it to being extremely thirsty for lesbians and to the "it's just a joke, bro" crowd so I shan't be engaging with it further

uhhh colonel was literally just talking about lovely scanlator end notes, not your stand on fleshfang

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i was literally just bitching about how much the scans for umineko sou days suck lol

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/G1_BARI/status/1200287093173313536

Obari looking at knockoff Thomas the Tank engine robot and getting ideas

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Today there was a scan of Nyanko Days, a fluffy 4-koma about tiny anthropomorphic cats, where the high school protagonist girl calls herself a “normalfag.”

:(

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Hmmm, after 1 and a tiny fraction of a chapter, I have come to the conclusion that the Umineko VN, is good. Thank you, Steam sale.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it rules and it gets even better from there

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Agronox posted:

Today there was a scan of Nyanko Days, a fluffy 4-koma about tiny anthropomorphic cats, where the high school protagonist girl calls herself a “normalfag.”

:(

The group[ that did that scan is pretty awful so I skipped it (They did some Miss Vampire scans that were awful and pretty racist so....)

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
that's the "scans random manga 80 chapters ahead to piss people off" person and i think you can block their releases with a mangadex account or something.

but on the other hand they scanned the chapter of miss neighborhood vampire where elizabeth bathory calls herself a sexy lesbian vampire. impossible to say good/ungood etc

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
love to get to the end of a chapter and find that this exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3irWcAJhyU&t=262s

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
*floop* *floop*

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

They're shorthand for snaggletooth and character mischeviousness/innocence?
Show, don't tell - If a character has a certain trait, make us come to the conclusion based on their characterization rather than some shorthand.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

what

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
blindly applying grade school writing advice to an entirely different medium for 200, alex

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also character design is showing because

Visual.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

*floop* *floop*
Very funny! :mad:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

klapman posted:

blindly applying grade school writing advice to an entirely different medium for 200, alex
If it's grade school writing advice, why do a lot of authors of any written medium not practice it more?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

D. Ebdrup posted:

If it's grade school writing advice, why do a lot of authors of any written medium not practice it more?
:byodood: "You're not my dad, writing advice. YOU'RE NOT MY DAD!"

But seriously, it depends on the story and medium whether to apply such writing advice or not. It'd be like including cinnamon rolls as food in every story which, while I'd appreciate it, it wouldn't make sense for certain settings.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

D. Ebdrup posted:

Because it's a tool used to guide new people along the path of writing, not some divine revelation handed down from on high that dictates how a story should be told. I've personally been very guilty of constantly writing around whatever I'm trying to say instead of just nixing the "show don't tell" adage altogether. It's a good tool to keep in mind, but it's not any sort of fundamental building block.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
also it's a visual medium so idk why you're even trying to apply that here

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:cripes:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
APPLY THIS

*fart*

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wark Say posted:

:byodood: "You're not my dad, writing advice. YOU'RE NOT MY DAD!"

But seriously, it depends on the story and medium whether to apply such writing advice or not. It'd be like including cinnamon rolls as food in every story which, while I'd appreciate it, it wouldn't make sense for certain settings.
But cinnamon rolls are delicious!!! :mad:

klapman posted:

Because it's a tool used to guide new people along the path of writing, not some divine revelation handed down from on high that dictates how a story should be told. I've personally been very guilty of constantly writing around whatever I'm trying to say instead of just nixing the "show don't tell" adage altogether. It's a good tool to keep in mind, but it's not any sort of fundamental building block.
If it's a tool used to guide people, isn't it a fundamental building block that writers can learn to eschew once they've mastered it?

verbal enema posted:

APPLY THIS

*fart*
Wouldn't that be a burp if it's coming from the mouth?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

D. Ebdrup posted:

Wouldn't that be a burp if it's coming from the mouth?

https://youtu.be/m-SWlIKFtp4

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

If it's a tool used to guide people, isn't it a fundamental building block that writers can learn to eschew once they've mastered it?

Do you know what fundamental means?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

Show, don't tell - If a character has a certain trait, make us come to the conclusion based on their characterization rather than some shorthand.
Glad someone is finally advocating for Tell Don't Show

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

D. Ebdrup posted:

But cinnamon rolls are delicious!!! :mad:
Yeah, but it's like with everything: You have to much of it and you get sick of it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

show don't tell is cia propaganda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

D. Ebdrup posted:

lol. d ebdrup advocating the end of visual symbolism