Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is Ernest Hemmingway's writing style typically "stream of thought" and just kinda not filling in blanks when there are some? I'm not sure if I've read anything by him. Maybe something back in high school.. Anyways, I'm reading A Moveable Feast which is an autobiography of sorts and it is very disjointed. He will write about a conversation without even mentioning who he's having it with. Things like that. Seems strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've only read some of Islands in the Stream but I found Hemingway's writing very difficult to work through. There's a battle with a Marlin in that book that goes on for forty pages.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Normal People was pretty good and pretty funny.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Rooney's? funny how?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Lex Neville posted:

Rooney's? funny how?

the prose and dialog. the story was not funny.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Philthy posted:

Is Ernest Hemmingway's writing style typically "stream of thought" and just kinda not filling in blanks when there are some? I'm not sure if I've read anything by him. Maybe something back in high school.. Anyways, I'm reading A Moveable Feast which is an autobiography of sorts and it is very disjointed. He will write about a conversation without even mentioning who he's having it with. Things like that. Seems strange.

Never read A Moveable Feast but A Farewell to Arms and Snows of Kilimanjaro were both fairly straight forward. At least I don't recall them being disjointed. Very male of a particular time, yes, but not super stream of consciousness Stephen Dedalus bullshit.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

super stream of consciousness Stephen Dedalus bullshit.

huh, haven't heard this literary term before

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

A human heart posted:

We Americanists refer to it as "Quentin Compson nonsense".

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
ricardo reis hijinks

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

A human heart posted:

i do believe he mean "joycean" but I am a simple farmer of terms

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

A human heart posted:

Its not wrong though

See, say, page 37 of Ulysses. Ineluctable modality of my rear end

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

re Hemingway, I really like his short stories. Check out A Way You'll Never Be

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

cda posted:

My apologies to Eugene V Dubstep who did mention a few women.

Anyway, Donald Barthelme is funny, I think. Charles W. Chestnutt. Early Naipaul. Ishmael Reed. There are writers that wrote one funny book, like Sam Selvon (The Lonely Londoners). Timothy Mo's novel Sour Sweet is pretty funny, I think and also includes some cool poo poo about Chinese fighting styles and the Hong Kong triads. Flannery O'Connor can be very funny but I wouldn't call her a comic writer. Bulgakov. Georges Perec.

i forgot about the lonely londoners that book is really good, five past (i think that was his name) was a great character. related, earl lovelace’s the dragon can’t dance is also fantastic and pretty funny until the climax and then it’s not funny anymore but still good.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Its not wrong though

See, say, page 37 of Ulysses. Ineluctable modality of my rear end

it’s actually extremely wrong

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Charlatans Wake :smuggo:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The Dedalus parts of Ulysses aren't difficult because they're in a stream of consciousness style, and to say that Hemingway is easier because he does not write long semi-parodical monologues about Hamlet or Aristotlean metaphysics seems trivial

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ras Het posted:

The Dedalus parts of Ulysses aren't difficult because they're in a stream of consciousness style, and to say that Hemingway is easier because he does not write long semi-parodical monologues about Hamlet or Aristotlean metaphysics seems trivial

I'm nothing if not trivial. See my av.

Serious posting a second, I'm not sure I will ever have the background knowledge to deal with Ulysses. Glancing over the marginalia I scribbled throughout the book from a class I took, its far too dense with obscure references to ever pick up on, and without that it reads like a lot of meaningless words to me. This is what I mean by the stream of consciousness: Stephan is thinking through things that are clear to himself but since I'm not as literate as he its mumble jumble. Apparently he is testing specific philosophical stances on epistemology in that passage? Perhaps I'm just mentally blocked, but I'm comfortable with just being too dumb to read this, even if other Joyce is completely accessible.

How would you characterize the source of the difficulty of the Dedalus parts of Ulysses?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

ugh

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Bilirubin posted:

Serious posting a second, I'm not sure I will ever have the background knowledge to deal with Ulysses. Glancing over the marginalia I scribbled throughout the book from a class I took, its far too dense with obscure references to ever pick up on, and without that it reads like a lot of meaningless words to me. This is what I mean by the stream of consciousness: Stephan is thinking through things that are clear to himself but since I'm not as literate as he its mumble jumble. Apparently he is testing specific philosophical stances on epistemology in that passage? Perhaps I'm just mentally blocked, but I'm comfortable with just being too dumb to read this, even if other Joyce is completely accessible.

How would you characterize the source of the difficulty of the Dedalus parts of Ulysses?

You explained it yourself - you don't understand the references. I don't either, so I didn't pay too much attention. It's not a crime

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Read Robert Walser for the first time today (Jakob von Gunten) and am respectfully nominating him for inclusion in the canon of funny authors

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ras Het posted:

You explained it yourself - you don't understand the references. I don't either, so I didn't pay too much attention. It's not a crime
Huh. Ok then, if it's just that simple, I'll leave it as my Waterloo and not worry about it ever again.

Makes me wonder how generally accessible the book ever was then or if our general education has declined that much over the years.

Goons being awful, shocking

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lmao Joyce did not give even a fraction of a gently caress about accessibility.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
a comic book dweeb wanking himself off about not reading joyce it’s like i’m an undergrad again

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

mdemone posted:

Felt like a fair question given Dubliners and Portrait

WatermelonGun posted:

a comic book dweeb wanking himself off about not reading joyce it’s like i’m an undergrad again

I am sorry for your trauma

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mdemone posted:

He didn't care if everyone enjoyce his works

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Shibawanko posted:

He didn't care if everyone enjoyce his works

His attitude was like a fart in the wind, you might say

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

you've got the brain disease typical of this forum where you think that you have to understand every single thing in a book before reading the words on the page

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There were lots of bits of Moby Dick I didn't understand so I Googled them sometimes or just reqd on and am excited to reread it over years. Sure there's way too much in there to understand it in a single read

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

A human heart posted:

you've got the brain disease typical of this forum where you think that you have to understand every single thing in a book before reading the words on the page

Probably so! I also have the problem of not always landing attempted jokes.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

I also have the problem of not always landing attempted jokes.

this is called being “unfunny.”

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

A human heart posted:

brain disease typical of this forum

WatermelonGun posted:

called being “unfunny.”

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The point of Ulysses is in part its difficulty, though his technique of directly depicting the interior monologue is the major step-up from Portrait and Dubliners, but it's also not far removed from what lots of books do nowadays.

As Ras Het said, its references in specific are difficult to keep up with, but I'd say the major gist is always 'accessible' even from it (usually it's about a character being confused about something, or it's contemporary cultural detail or something their thoughts tend to circle around anyway: in Stephen, his mother's death and his feelings about his father, in Leopold, his wife's adultery and his dead son).

It definitely would have been easier to read back then because 'ordinary' people knew more about stuff like Hamlet, Don Giovanni and the Latin Mass. It stands to reason that Irish people knew about Irish politics from around them. I reckon a lot of internet discourse is going to be borderline incomprehensible to people 100 years from now if it still exists in some form for the exact same reason, it's the cultural minutiae that get obscured.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
is Gogol, Krzhizhanovsky or Pelevin the funniest Russian author?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I love Pelevin, but Gogol is much funnier. Of the contemporary authors, Sorokin is pretty much hit and miss, but his The Blizzard is a very funny parody of classic Russian lit. That guy really hates Turgenev and it shows in the book.
Another good and very funny book by Sorokin is Blue Salo aka Blue Blubber, a satire aimed at the Russian national mythos and Orthodoxy. There is a Russian Orthodox sect dedicated to loving the holy Russian ground, future Russia has fallen under complete Chinese cultural domination so dialogues are conducted in a sort of nadsat, but it’s Russian with Chinese loan words, writers such as Akhmatova are cloned and resurrected and their new, bizarre yet stylistically true, works are pasted into the narrative. Khruschev’s and Stalin’s clones gently caress. poo poo, now I gotta reread that

e:Daniil Kharms is funny, brilliant and not very well known in the West. His short stories are few because, siege of Leningrad, but well worth tracking down.

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 3, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

gogol

pelevin is too loving bitter and krzhizhanovsky has four consonants at the start of his name

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

of course the real answer is bulgakov

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wow I was all ready to say Pelevin but I guess we got a debate goin here.

Sorokin isn't so much funny as he is playful, I would say. His prose has a child-like glee and it makes you feel good.

Hot take: Dostoyevsky is funnier than either one.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I found Crime and Punishment very funny

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

just read books because you enjoy the words. you don't need to Catch The Reference, they're not family guy episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shibawanko posted:

just read books because you enjoy the words. you don't need to Catch The Reference, they're not family guy episodes

I can understand the fear of missing out, though. It can make you feel inadequate (even though there's no reason to worry about being lit-inferior to James Fartin' Joyce).

Pynchon trained me out of that need to understand each reference and connection. If you go into GR trying to do that, for example, well....good luck.