Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
As many different editions of Art of War and The Prince as you can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Jerry Cotton posted:

Actually the applicable work condition agreement has to be present and freely available at every workplace :finland:
maybe in far west russia where you are, but in australia we are civilised englishpeople

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

kjv, the very b

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

b stands for best

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

maybe in far west russia where you are, but in australia we are civilised englishpeople

Nice oxy moron.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Have Finnegans Wake on your desk and pushily read it to him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Selachian posted:

A complete set of Remembrance of Things Past.

This is probably the answer, but only if the copy is in French and you do not speak or read French.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

e: never mind

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Someone who calls Kurt Vonnegut pretentious is going to have no clue what all these books are.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Is there a generally accepted term for the equivalent of a "page" on an e-reader or book app? I struggle to describe how long a book or a chapter is when there is no consistent measure across devices. Except word count, I guess, but that can be cumbersome to estimate.

(It's not like physical pages are 100% consistent either, given different text sizes and binding methods, but that feels easier to handle. Maybe that's just lifelong familiarity.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

wizzardstaff posted:

Is there a generally accepted term for the equivalent of a "page" on an e-reader or book app? I struggle to describe how long a book or a chapter is when there is no consistent measure across devices. Except word count, I guess, but that can be cumbersome to estimate.

(It's not like physical pages are 100% consistent either, given different text sizes and binding methods, but that feels easier to handle. Maybe that's just lifelong familiarity.)

Whenever my friends do audiobooks or ebooks and measure their progress for goodreads, it's in percentage. Page count means nothing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

n% of 50k words is a lot different from n% of 250k words tho

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Annual United Way book sale is on. I browsed the shelves for potential gems among the Ian Rankin cast offs and obligatory copies of Future Shock and walked off with

A hardcover of Lincoln in the Bardo (I already have it but got it to give to a friend), hardcover of Barney's Version and softcovers of Foucault's Pendulum (have not read this in forever) and Solomon Gursky Was Here so it was kind of a Mordecai Richler sort of afternoon.

$6 total

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Thomas Pynchon is definitely pretentious. And he's written a bunch of real big books for added visual effect!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ask the person to pick any part in Finnegans Wake for you to start reading because it's circular.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ppl need to be forced to define what “pretentious” means before they’re even allowed to post books, which only turns out to be just actually good books and reveal what a big dumb,rear end they really are

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

ulvir posted:

ppl need to be forced to define what “pretentious” means before they’re even allowed to post books, which only turns out to be just actually good books and reveal what a big dumb,rear end they really are

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I'm reading Wuthering Heights and it sucks!! All the characters are annoying and bad and they can gently caress right off

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Syncopated posted:

I'm reading Wuthering Heights and it sucks!! All the characters are annoying and bad and they can gently caress right off
they are crazy people, it's a story about serious mental illness and the impacts it has upon one's life and relationships, in the context of the landed gentry (a social bubble totally isolated from the world by nature, where it was considered normal for your entire social circle to consist of like nine people)

fauna fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 3, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is a question about books but not about literature, so sue me: some books - pocket books are the only one's where I've personally come across this but I don't know if it's exclusive - have a band of red ink on the bottom and top edges of the pages. Since it can hardly be for decorative purposes, I'm wondering why this would be done?

e: Also I can't believe how long I wasted recreating the phenomenon in Paint when I could've just snapped a picture with my phone :doh:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 3, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Marking it as overstock maybe?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

This is a question about books but not about literature, so sue me: some books - pocket books are the only one's where I've personally come across this but I don't know if it's exclusive - have a band of red ink on the bottom and top edges of the pages. Since it can hardly be for decorative purposes, I'm wondering why this would be done?

e: Also I can't believe how long I wasted recreating the phenomenon in Paint when I could've just snapped a picture with my phone :doh:

It's probably a Remainder Mark

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

Marking it as overstock maybe?

Ohhh that makes sense. Thanks :tipshat:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1201868492414304257?s=20

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Where can I find a copy of Butt Smell for my Book Barn Secret Santee?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Where can I find a copy of Butt Smell for my Book Barn Secret Santee?

Call Bookstop and ask for it :newlol:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is Moby Dick officially the BotM? I'm dying to hear bookgoon's thoughts on sperms

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

Is Moby Dick officially the BotM? I'm dying to hear bookgoon's thoughts on sperms

It is. Thanks for the reminder, I'll get the thread up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I've heard people talking about Moby Dick a lot lately. It's like literally a hundred years old but suddenly everybody's talking about how great it is. Was it on Oprah or something?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gripweed posted:

I've heard people talking about Moby Dick a lot lately. It's like literally a hundred years old but suddenly everybody's talking about how great it is. Was it on Oprah or something?

because it's fuckin' good yo

https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1202779526721396736?s=20

It's one of those books that's just so good that people who read it want to talk about it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Think I'll pick it up tomorrow!

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Just finished Blackwater and will be proselytizing its greatness to everyone I know now

ty tbb

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

MelancholyMark posted:

Just finished Blackwater and will be proselytizing its greatness to everyone I know now

ty tbb

The one by Jeremy Scahill? I will join you on your quest.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Uncle Lloyd posted:

The one by Jeremy Scahill? I will join you on your quest.

Nah Michael McDowell, way less depressing

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/sineadgleeson/status/1203372999883313153

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
That article doesn't actually seem to make the argument that fiction is trivialised (??) which would seem to be a necessary starting point. And I think it's sort of curious that the writers feel the need to defend the idea of approaching an emotional truth in their works, because it seems to me that that has always been the prime aim and virtue of all fiction, and the idea that men are unable to accept that seems to spring from a very superficial 20th century lukewarm machoism

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

For lack of a better place to put this - has anyone here ever had issues reading manga in the Nook app? I keep getting an Unsupported Document Error trying to read a manga I bought on their own store, and the app's suggestion of uninstalling/reinstalling both the book and the app itself proved useless. I think it has something to do with this specific manga being listed as a "book" instead of as a "comic" like the other manga I've bought - think the app's expecting it to be in a different format than it is and breaking. Anybody run into this before? Know of a fix?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Spiritus Nox posted:

For lack of a better place to put this - has anyone here ever had issues reading manga in the Nook app? I keep getting an Unsupported Document Error trying to read a manga I bought on their own store, and the app's suggestion of uninstalling/reinstalling both the book and the app itself proved useless. I think it has something to do with this specific manga being listed as a "book" instead of as a "comic" like the other manga I've bought - think the app's expecting it to be in a different format than it is and breaking. Anybody run into this before? Know of a fix?

there is an entire forum dedicated to animes and mangers you'd probably get better help there

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

there is an entire forum dedicated to animes and mangers you'd probably get better help there

My question is less about mangers and more about e-readers tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The forum for people who read manga probably has better advice for this technical issue with reading manga than the forum for people who read books and would not encounter this technical issue.