Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Angron, but Mortarion is a close second. Mortarion is only easier to justify because he hates the hypocrisy of chaos almost as much as he hates Emps. Angron never had any hope. Like Kurze, he was doomed from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Where the gently caress is Perturabo anyway. I can't really recall reading anything much about him post-Heresy in short stories.

I think he's gone crazy builder and is constantly upgrading Medrengard into the Iron Cage 2.0 in anticipation for his final showdown with Dorn. That Dorn's dead and the Imperial Fists are walking around with his bones as relics hasn't persuaded him that it isn't just a clever ruse. He's going to fortify until Dorn comes and then he can finally kill the bastard in yellow, and that's that!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

Aside from Horus who is the hardest Primarch to justify coming back into the fold? "That's Angron, he's super angry about Chaos so the Emperor blessed him with a warform." vs "That's Mortarion he uh cures diseases now I guess?"

I can't see any of the Demon Prince Primarchs being redeemed, like, at all. Sorry, Magnus the Red.

The only redeemable Primarch that really leaves is Omegon.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

susan posted:

Hm. Forges of Mars omnibus. Nice slice of life on a Mechanicus ship. That or dive into Ciaphas Caine if you're looking for something lighter but still 40k.

D-Pad posted:

Chris Wraight stuff is the move here. Carrion Throne and Hollow Mountain. Watchers of the Throne (sequel early next year too). Lords of Silence.

Rites of Passage (a great non-traditional 40k book). The Great Work. Finally, make sure you read Divination if you haven't yet. It is a short story collection set in the Inquisition War series that gives a backstory to each of the retinue characters.

Thanks both. Had my eye on Carrion Throne so might give that a go.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

jng2058 posted:

I think he's gone crazy builder and is constantly upgrading Medrengard into the Iron Cage 2.0 in anticipation for his final showdown with Dorn. That Dorn's dead and the Imperial Fists are walking around with his bones as relics hasn't persuaded him that it isn't just a clever ruse. He's going to fortify until Dorn comes and then he can finally kill the bastard in yellow, and that's that!

I love how hard they lean into the fact that Pert is just a whiny neckbeard in The Lost and the Damned. Like the other fallen primarchs have tragic arcs and depth of character and all that, and here's Pert being an unlikable dick from pretty much day one.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

KM Scorchio posted:

Thanks both. Had my eye on Carrion Throne so might give that a go.

Just read it. VERY good. Some rare moments of heart/compassion/humanity.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Where the gently caress is Perturabo anyway. I can't really recall reading anything much about him post-Heresy in short stories.

He got together with Mortarion and made the Obliterator Virus so that automatically makes him the most useful Daemon Primarch. Seems like he mostly jacked off after that.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Aside from Horus who is the hardest Primarch to justify coming back into the fold? "That's Angron, he's super angry about Chaos so the Emperor blessed him with a warform." vs "That's Mortarion he uh cures diseases now I guess?"

Lorgar for sure, in my opinion. He's the worst of the bunch by far, in no small part because he started the whole mess and went in with his eyes wide open. If the WH40k story was the bible, and Horus was evil Jesus, then Lorgar and Erebus are Adam and Eve eating every apple in the tree just to piss off the God Emperor. Lorgar had every opportunity to take a different path, and had decades to consider his course of action before being committed to it. Angron is a bloodthirsty lunatic, and Mortarion is an angsty sociopath, but ultimately they're products of their environment that are so amoral in character that they don't seem that difficult to bring back into the fold. All they need is Emperor-approved butterflies to pull wings off of, and they'd be perfectly happy. Characters like Lorgar, Fulgrim, and Horus make ethical choices during the development of the heresy and ultimately make the decision to burn the galaxy in their pursuit of power - they could never be redeemed and would never want to be.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 3, 2019

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'd like Angorn to be redeemed because I think he deserves a break from being turbo hosed for drat near his entire life.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Azubah posted:

I'd like Angorn to be redeemed because I think he deserves a break from being turbo hosed for drat near his entire life.

This.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Omegon is kind of loyal. He’s just a gullible accelerationist and basically the future him and Alpharius was trying to avoid has come to fruition anyway so It would be pretty easy for him to come back.

Knowing him he could already be back working for the impirium but you wouldn’t know it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Azubah posted:

I get the sentiment, but this is 40k. Since when has "deserves" had anything to do with what happens, with the possible exception of the Old Eldar bringing forth Slaanesh?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Where does this idea that they’re going to redeem a primarch even come from? Is it just internet wishfulness or is there a credible source?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

jng2058 posted:

I get the sentiment, but this is 40k. Since when has "deserves" had anything to do with what happens, with the possible exception of the Old Eldar bringing forth Slaanesh?

Cathartic release after seeing all the poo poo he's gone through?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Azubah posted:

Cathartic release after seeing all the poo poo he's gone through?

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Bucnasti posted:

Where does this idea that they’re going to redeem a primarch even come from? Is it just internet wishfulness or is there a credible source?

Internet speculation/wishfulness.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah. It's hard to see how a redemption arc would get brought into 40k. If there was one, it would probably somehow be Horus, because only his repudiation of chaos could truly bring the rebellion to an end.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't really understand how Horus could even still exist in any way given that The Emperor obliterated his entire soul when he killed him. I realize he's been cloned and whatever but it seems dumb even by 40k standards.

My personal pet theory (which is hardly just my own) is that Guilliman/Cawl are going to end up sparking some kind of civil war with the Ecclesiarchy which could be construed as "falling" since y'know, bad side of the church and all.

It would be funny to see Lorgar be the guy who returns to the fold since it turns out he was right about The Emperor all along anyway.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
There's that whole thing about Cawl's great work and how he'd feel like he's betraying the big E all jesus/judas, right

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

PantsOptional posted:

It's been out there a lot though, and came around the same time as a new non- Imperium human faction.

I'm pretty sure this had a valid origination.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

It would be funny to see Lorgar be the guy who returns to the fold since it turns out he was right about The Emperor all along anyway.

He unplugs the throne, the Emperor ascends, Lorgar was right.

Oh yeah, the entire Sol system gets sucked into literal hell because the gate is open, but hey. Redemption.

Magnus bursts into the room to warn the Emperor again, trips over the power cord to the coffee maker and faceplants into a custode.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

moths posted:

It's been out there a lot though, and came around the same time as a new non- Imperium human faction.

I'm pretty sure this had a valid origination.

Yeah, that’s the other big rumor mill item that... I don’t think it ever manifested?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah so far none of the biggest lore rumors have panned out yet.

I'm still very curious to know where the rumors came from. Tracking this stuff back is like wrestling smoke though.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

If anything they probably originated with GW as trial balloons. They decided to bring back a primarch and let several different rumors out in the wild to gauge reaction. Girlyman coming back ended up being what they went with.

Even with the announcement they won't be advancing the story and are taking a pause to explore the 100 year period during the crusade after G man returned I think they see how much the plot moving forward has rekindled interest in 40k. They'll probably spend the next 3-5 years exploring this era before moving the story again. I don't think they could not do so when it would cause another big bump in revenue.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Just finished master of mankind and holy poo poo that was a surprisingly great listen. Any other custodes focused books out there?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Nuclear War posted:

Just finished master of mankind and holy poo poo that was a surprisingly great listen. Any other custodes focused books out there?

Watchers of the throne feels like it was meant to be read immediately after master of mankind, if that helps. Carrion throne takes place probably weeks or months before watchers and has some custodes action in it. It is also good, and has a sequel out (hollow mountain).

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Carrion Throne, Hollow Mountain and Watchers of the Throne should be read in that order fyi

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Anybody who has read all the Custodes recommendations should also rrad the Auric Gods short story.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
On the Master of Mankind note, the description of the female servitor at the start was pretty horrifying. (No spoilers) especially how it described how they didn't remove the ability to feel pain, just the ability to react to it, and how the one gun servitors last thoughts had been of the children she left behind when she was servitored. The pre-heresy Empire was very much not a paradise, thats for sure

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Anybody who has read all the Custodes recommendations should also rrad the Auric Gods short story.

I agree, don't let Nick Kyme's name frighten you away.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any hard and fast rules for how a Titan crew interface with their machines? Helsreach has princeps Zahar in the titan equivalent of a dreadnought sarcophagus while her moderatii acted as gunners.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there any hard and fast rules for how a Titan crew interface with their machines? Helsreach has princeps Zahar in the titan equivalent of a dreadnought sarcophagus while her moderatii acted as gunners.

That's how it works in Mechanicum too, and the "entombing" of the princeps is due to injuries sustained in battle, much like when it comes to dreadnoughts. It's implied that it's not necessarily a standard practice but isn't that rare, either.

A princeps can interface with the Titan without the sarcophagus, but their ability to link up with the manifold is way better once they're doing it that way.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In Titanicus the Princeps is linked so closely to the titan that they get "psycho-stigmata" when the titan is damaged. If a Princeps lives long enough and fights in enough battles they're gonna end up pretty badly torn up due to all the damage titans shrug off.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

In Night Lords, they steal an entomed princeps for some grimdark fun.

Speaking of, are there other books with Adeptus Mechanicus uh... heretics? Not sure what you call chaos AdMechs.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Speaking of, are there other books with Adeptus Mechanicus uh... heretics? Not sure what you call chaos AdMechs.

Hereteks lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Dark Mechanicus is the "official" name. Mechanicum is pretty much about the schism where they first show up.

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009
Doesn't one of the books talk about how it depends on how big the titan is, like the princeps of warhounds just sorta plug in to the controls while in use but the big ones need/get to be entombed

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Karneios posted:

Doesn't one of the books talk about how it depends on how big the titan is, like the princeps of warhounds just sorta plug in to the controls while in use but the big ones need/get to be entombed

It's inconsistent across books. For the most part all Princeps start with just the wires hooked into their head. The older they get and the more they are "melded" with the machine spirit the sooner they have to go into the tank full time. Eventually any pilot that survives long enough goes into the tank.

There are some examples where this isn't the case but it is just due to BL editors not being consistent with details like that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Karneios posted:

For sure Imperial Knights are plug and play like that.

At least from the 40 Facts vid I saw about imperial knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ThePopeOfFun posted:

The Word Bearers trilogy has a heretek character introduced in the second novel.