Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
There's nothing worse than needing your bike and having it fail on you often. It's soul destroying and you made the right choice. They're supposed to be fun not a pain in the rear end

(I have a 20yo pain in the rear end and a second more dependable bike)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

It's even worse when you have to inconvenience the ones you love because you're 500 miles from home in the middle of nowhere on the side of the road staring at your bike wondering what you've done wrong with your life. As you're bleeding after slicing your hand open because you found a leaky chunk of your fuel hose and you used a multitool to snip it and reconnect it but the petcock is still dripping gasoline and now you're covered in gas and... well I'm just glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

At this point in my life, a boring bike is a good bike. Especially if it isn't boring to me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Riding only really became completely enjoyable to me when I made exactly that change.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yet more evidence that two bike life is the only way to live.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t think I’ve posted here yet, so here’s my first bike that I got over the summer, a 2019 R3 ABS.

Edit: I’ve since fixed the rear whale-tail.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 8, 2019

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

:hfive: new Yamaha bro

I love the R3's styling, if the 2019 blue one had ABS I might have bought one instead even though it's not a great fit for me

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Looks nice and clean! And I swear every bike I own going forward will have ABS, unless it's a drz or dirt bike.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

M42 posted:

Bought from an archaeologist 👌
Congrats! Hopefully this one doesn’t spit out its spark plugs :shobon:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

Sorry, was* a powersports mechanic for a few years till just recently. I’d rather take the 2am wakeup than work at a shop again 😂

To be fair, you worked at the wrong shop.
Hell you even managed to pick the WORST of the dealerships to work at.

My advice. Just ride it for a bit until you find another museum piece.
I bought a CBR600 F3 with about 2000 miles on it and within 3 months it was over 10k.
Best decision I ever made.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ulf posted:

Congrats! Hopefully this one doesn’t spit out its spark plugs :shobon:

Ohh poo poo I forgot about that 😂😂 I still have the head and piston from that ninja!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

To be fair, you worked at the wrong shop.
Hell you even managed to pick the WORST of the dealerships to work

Naw the one in VA was awesome. I loved it and miss it dearly. The one here in WA is the awful one. Shame, I love the work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

Ohh poo poo I forgot about that 😂😂 I still have the head and piston from that ninja!

Naw the one in VA was awesome. I loved it and miss it dearly. The one here in WA is the awful one. Shame, I love the work.

lol wait you moved to WA and took a ninja head with you?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Getting the 800 SuperSport ready for post-import inspection back home in Canada. It needs a speedo with km/h markings and damned if I'm dropping $300+ on another gauge cluster just for that.

:colbert:

Fuckin sorted.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nobody does an optimistic speedo like the Italians.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Slavvy posted:

Nobody does an optimistic speedo like the Italians.

While I completely agree, I've done a radar-verified (ahem, :homebrew:) 220km/h on my 696 Monster - given the aero differences and a little bit of extra horsepower, I could see the 800 SuperSport making 250km/h. Downhill. With a tailwind.

(Realtalk: the 1000SuperSport shares this gauge cluster, guessing 160MPH is for it)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HandlingByJebus posted:

While I completely agree, I've done a radar-verified (ahem, :homebrew:) 220km/h on my 696 Monster - given the aero differences and a little bit of extra horsepower, I could see the 800 SuperSport making 250km/h. Downhill. With a tailwind.

(Realtalk: the 1000SuperSport shares this gauge cluster, guessing 160MPH is for it)

Legit surprised the little 696 can steam it's way up to that speed with no fairing.

The JDM monster 400 has the same speedo as the 800 for maximum laughs.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Legit surprised the little 696 can steam it's way up to that speed with no fairing.

The JDM monster 400 has the same speedo as the 800 for maximum laughs.

My 696 isn't stock by any stretch of the imagination, and I was tucked in as far as I could be, but I was really surprised too. I mean, obviously.

Also: :3: that's the cutest.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Had this guy for two weeks now. My first ever bike.

Really fun to putter around the city with

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Looks nice! That's an interesting place for the license plate and turn signals, but it keeps the tail looking cleaner

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

Looks nice! That's an interesting place for the license plate and turn signals, but it keeps the tail looking cleaner

Thanks! There are rear fender delete kits but eh, not planning on popping wheelies with this thing

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MomJeans420 posted:

Until bike design artistes learn to incorporate such legally required items as indicators and number plates into their perfect vision, it's the best place for them. Miles better than hanging them off a spindly bit of plastic under the tail anyway.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

as long as it’s easy to remove who cares

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

as long as it’s easy to remove who cares

Yeah this. Plate/indicator holders that are integrated in any way are an instant black mark for me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like the way that’s laid out and wouldn’t change it at all.

My bike had a huge plastic whale tail coming from under the brake light and it absolutely had to go.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Agreed. The tire-huggers look restrained and unintrusive for the most part and I wouldn't change it if it were mine.

The giant tumor growing from the back of MY bike, however, definitely required surgery

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I don't mind the under tail license plate and signals. I never look at it except when cleaning, it helps keep dirt off the rest of the bike, and if nothing else it's not unsprung mass like the tire hugging ones.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I never really minded it from a functional perspective, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't very hung up on aesthetics. It was really cheap to fix and gave the bike a much cleaner look so it was a no brainer for me :)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

another cold morning in nashville :D

(the yellow bar on the dash says ICE WARNING)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nice helmet! What is it?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
drat it’s like that helmet was made for that bike.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Its a https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-at950-neocon-helmet-dual-lens

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Nice helmet! What is it?

bingo!

pinlock and a neck gaiter / whatever it's called make it good enough to survive the 20 degree days I did out in yellowstone on my way over :D

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

right arm posted:

(the yellow bar on the dash says ICE WARNING)
What does this feature actually do? Is it a thermometer that tells you when it's <=0C?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It means an internal combustion engine has been detected, return to the dealer to have it removed immediately.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Ulf posted:

What does this feature actually do? Is it a thermometer that tells you when it's <=0C?

Yes, it's just a thermometer that reads the air temp and pops up a warning on your dash if it's <2C/36F. Because you wouldn't notice it's freezing out while you're riding a motorcycle or anything

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Yeah, as someone who rides year round in Denver, there's so much more to my internal calculation about whether there's ice on the road than the temperature. I was hoping it was going to be something cool about measuring the road via your tire temps :shobon:

On the plus side the feature is cheap to implement if you already have a thermometer on the bike for (I'm guessing) emissions reasons.

Slavvy posted:

It means an internal combustion engine has been detected, return to the dealer to have it removed immediately.
aha, so that's why my Zero doesn't have it :science:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
ECUs have them for fuel/air mix (cold air is denser) and an active cooling system will have a thermister but that probably has one in the dash too

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Ok, the more I think about this the more that I'm sad that my bikes don't have a "hell yeah buddy you're a badass for riding in this" signal :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

Ok, the more I think about this the more that I'm sad that my bikes don't have a "hell yeah buddy you're a badass for riding in this" signal :(

Spoken like someone who's never experienced riding home on a two stroke when the oil light turned on twenty miles ago, feverishly hovering fingers over the clutch but trying to get home asap at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jazzzzz posted:

Yes, it's just a thermometer that reads the air temp and pops up a warning on your dash if it's <2C/36F. Because you wouldn't notice it's freezing out while you're riding a motorcycle or anything

it would be a lot cooler if it were a combination thermometer/hygrometer that only pops up an ice warning when the dew point is below the ambient temperature and the temperature is below zero.

I wonder if motorcycles ever develop carb ice