Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Taear posted:

She always says she's an expert at whatever they're doing. ALWAYS.
And then is really confrontational about what's happening every single step of the way.

She's also all of 19 years old.

Somehow she has worked in a Michelin star restaurant, has a vast knowledge of the perfume industry, is an expert director and photographer, possesses a deep understanding of wine, and has been in the music industry for 15 years.

She's a librarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Maybe the requirements are different in the UK but librarian is an advanced degree in the states, so I kind of doubt she is even that.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

graventy posted:

Maybe the requirements are different in the UK but librarian is an advanced degree in the states, so I kind of doubt she is even that.

You generally need to have some sort of higher-level qualification to work in a library, or at least you used to.

And she's been in the music industry since she was 4 years old? Hahaha the bullshit some of the Apprentice candidates come out with is hilarious.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
They say she's a librarian but that probably just means she works in a library. As libraries try to be jack-of-all-trades these days she probably gets to pretend to be an expert on a hundred things.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So is she broke brained and believes it, or just telling grandiose lies because that's what you do on the apprentice?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I imagine the production team encourage them to be as insane as possible.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

She will be on tagthesponsor one day imo looking at her insta
Ratchet rear end charlatan

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

goatface posted:

So is she broke brained and believes it, or just telling grandiose lies because that's what you do on the apprentice?

I think she's broke brained and believes it yea.
And yes - no way she can actually be a librarian.

Her dad is some ultra rich speech booker guy.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

She will be on tagthesponsor one day imo looking at her insta
Ratchet rear end charlatan

That's a pretty gross website

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

You generally need to have some sort of higher-level qualification to work in a library, or at least you used to.
To avoid paying multiple qualified librarians, most libraries will just have a skeleton staff of actual librarians, then people on work experience / interning / library "assistants" to basically sit on the desk, do basic check-in/outs etc / stack shelves.
To be an actual librarian is a similar process to becoming a teacher; degree + post-graduate training, meaning she'd need to be around 23minimum.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Public libraries don't have qualified librarians at all any more. I manage one and still can't call myself a librarian formally. She is definitely just a paraprofessional library assistant or weekend assistant who doesn't understand that it's a professional title.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That fact legit makes me sad as a kid who spent hours in such places.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Why are we debating whether a person who is 19 years old and has claimed to be an expert in about a dozen different fields with over a decade of experience in each is qualified to be what she says she is.

She's just a spoilt, delusional tosser, op.

Not quite as bad as that Gary-Tim kid though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Because nothing is on.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I really enjoyed I'm a Celebrity this year. Real camaraderie in the camp and a deserving winner even!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Lemon posted:

That's a pretty gross website

I was expecting to hate the people on it at first, but whoever runs that piece of poo poo is far worse. Their "about us" is sickening. Smug cunts.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Will Kirk from the Repair Shop is my big celeb crush right now. Talented, smart, gorgeous. :allears:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is this a real British accent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Dgc4Zao2U

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Without watching it I can guarantee you it's a normal accent but with a weird forcing from the diaphragm that amateur radio presenters and Yahtzee fans do to try and sound smarter then they really are.

Edit: drat I'm good

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 9, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So is that a common style you hear on the radio? man that must be insufferable.

It's the British equivalent of American vocal fry

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 9, 2019

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mu Zeta posted:

So is that a common style you hear on the radio? man that must be insufferable.

It's not that common but I definitely recognise it. Mostly people on tv or radio when the subject is either cars or history.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm on a lot of cold medicine right now, and its not so much a specific radio voice, but a kind of dramatic nerd emphasis cos you've been told to really emote but also they want to appear cynical and detached but also try and deliver pithy one liners that they kind of trail off on because doing pithy one liners off the cuff is really hard.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I rarely hear people speaking like that in not-poo poo media. Jeremy Clarkson speaks a bit like that and he’s awful. That’s the most mainstream example I can think of.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's also the exact voice Matt Berry exaggerates to take the piss.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's also the exact voice Matt Berry exaggerates to take the piss.

Yes, I can hear 'Absolute Radio!' in that narration.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
The business plans they ended up with on The Apprentice this year were something else. One bloke wanted to blow the whole investment on a big lads' holiday to Croatia and hopefully make some money... somehow. The one calling herself a librarian nicked her idea for a business from the episode of The Simpsons where Marge joins the country club. Her business plan had no numbers in it. The two that made it to the final are a recruitment company and a coffee shop :laugh:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I should be able to sue someone for false advertising.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

The business plans they ended up with on The Apprentice this year were something else. One bloke wanted to blow the whole investment on a big lads' holiday to Croatia and hopefully make some money... somehow. The one calling herself a librarian nicked her idea for a business from the episode of The Simpsons where Marge joins the country club. Her business plan had no numbers in it. The two that made it to the final are a recruitment company and a coffee shop :laugh:
This show is basically The Office; the characters are all dead serious but the production team realizes they (the candidates) are a bunch of incompetent, inexperienced loony tunes.

Belt Up Karen.

Best reason to watch The Apprentice is for the F5 interviews. One candidate (Pamela, maybe) summed it up as something like, "they shredded my business plan, they shredded my life, they shredded my emotions".
Thomas was such a complete huckster he ran up a record of 8 losses in 9 challenges! He was so bad but would somehow hang on. And Marianne kept volunteering to work with him instead of running away as fast as possible.

Lottie The Librarian was hilariously insufferable, 19 years old and the ultimate expert on wine, electric bikes, ice lollies, music, and of course perfume.
"Have you been to Croatia?" "Uh no not yet" LOL. He would have had a great time partying it up with Surallan's money.
I thought coffee shop Carina was doing well until her head popped off like a jack-in-the-box when she was asked about scaling up and said, "2000 shops. 2000 to 5000". Where did that come from?! From a £250,000 investment! :wtf:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

I remember that forums user Echoplex did the graphics work on it.

eating only apples posted:

They did a great job.

I have no idea why the beeb commissioned the show though, let alone gave it an hour slot on primetime bbc2. No one is going to watch it. It hits Netflix next year and that'll pick up the numbers maybe. It's amazing and I won't hear a word against it but it's not exactly mainstream.

Thanks TD :)

I think Netflix threw in most of the cash from memory, but the BBC had first dibs? I've only seen the first episode so far, waiting to find time for it. The only thing I have to add at this point is that I enjoyed modifying our scale rooftop set models

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Finished up "The Apprentice", what I like most about this version compared to the states with our president is that this feels like an actual business contest, no product placement (that much), no shameless promotion, and instead of the ego-driven fame boss, it's one that's just a pessimistic grumpton.

and this finale between a recruitment firm and a bakery is something i really love, it's what i love watching the most about this version, it's not a "do a charity banquet" it really is trying to see the business ideas in development to see who gets the investment.

And the right person won, in my opinion.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, just how bad is the US version?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Most of the contestants seeking an investment into their business plans are just flat out stupid.
The first time someone wanted to give away a 50% stake just to scale up slightly quicker, lurdsugar rightly pointed out that it was stupid, and that they'd be much better off getting a smaller loan to help it along, as a 50% stake is a ridiculous amount to give away of a currently viable/profitable business. He concluded any business that couldn't get financial backing to grow, was broadly not seen as viable, so why would he think different?

Now it's a staple of the show that people want to give away 50% of their business to .... hire a member of staff? Open a second location? Scarlett in particular didn't even ever seem clear why she needed the money. Pamela was similarly unclear why she needed the money to sell more product.

The people who actually need to have 250K dropped up-front to kickstart their idea seem to have become the extreme minority.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
The finals are always the most boring episode now. They should just not bother having a winner and continually replace the person who is fired and just keep having the first episode every week forever until there is a mass suicide in the house they put them all in but if one person was smart enough to just fake their death, they win the £250k .

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Was christmas tele ever any good, or was I just excited about christmas?

Looking forward to Derry Girls Bake Off and the Michael Hutchence documentary this year.

also PADDINGTON 2 CHANNEL 4 BOXING DAY

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

goatface posted:

Jesus, just how bad is the US version?

Its incredibly terrible, though I last saw it when Trump was running it. Basically, almost every challenge came down to "Who of your rich friends can you convince to buy a doughnut for $5000" Its literally just celebrity fundraising. There was an amount of strategising in terms of holding back big celebrity friends for when you're PM, so that you get the win.

I specifically remember Trump firing someone because they wouldn't call up their friend Bill Cosby to open up his pocket book.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

echoplex posted:

Thanks TD :)

I think Netflix threw in most of the cash from memory, but the BBC had first dibs? I've only seen the first episode so far, waiting to find time for it. The only thing I have to add at this point is that I enjoyed modifying our scale rooftop set models

Oh no way. Did you get on set much? I worked on it too as an AD, only on a daily basis though. Did some time on that roof set too.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Anyone watching master chef this year? Surreal that a mate is gonna win it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn't know about the Cunk series that's airing at the moment, a bit sad they're all 5 minutes long but some Cunk is better than no Cunk as they say.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Padje posted:

Was christmas tele ever any good, or was I just excited about christmas?

Looking forward to Derry Girls Bake Off and the Michael Hutchence documentary this year.

also PADDINGTON 2 CHANNEL 4 BOXING DAY

I want to believe it's really Derry Girls Bake Off.

Hullo Murry Burry we are goin for till meeyak a luvly ceeyak for yiz theday so wuar :nyd:

It's a very funny show because they talk differently from most people and then there's all the 90s music you remember from when you weren't old.

I agree with the person who said the accent sounds legit but the person is doing a silly radio DJ voice.

crispix fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

I didn't know about the Cunk series that's airing at the moment, a bit sad they're all 5 minutes long but some Cunk is better than no Cunk as they say.

Yeah, I don't get why they don't just have a full time series of Cunk On. Also, Cunk On is better than Conk and other people on.