Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Norton the First posted:

I don't think that's fair to Wilder. Getting there first is very much part of the game, it's not reasonable to say that for whatever reason Ortiz got there second.

Tyson Fury is crafty as gently caress and he still got brain damage from Wilder. He's awkward and inelegant, but he knows how to box, specifically to his strengths.

"Whatever reason" can include a thing that Wilder did to set it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

"Whatever reason" can include a thing that Wilder did to set it up.

Fair enough.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Wilder/Fury 2 is supposedly set for February 22nd. Expect a Super Bowl ad.

On the other big heavyweight fight: It's still hard to say what's going to happen in the Joshua/Ruiz rematch. Joshua clearly has the better attributes, but Ruiz beat the poo poo out of him in their first fight. It sounds like Joshua is trying to come in quite a bit lighter, which is also a bit alarming. It's not clear where his head is at after catching such a sustained beating.

It feels weird to assume Joshua wins this fight, but like most people, I am currently assuming that. If Ruiz wins though, in retrospect it will have seemed inevitable. Their first fight felt more like Wladimir Klitschko/Corrie Sanders than Lennox Lewis/Hasim Rahman.

I'm thinking Joshua wins, but I'm not confident about it. The outcome of Wilder/Fury 2 is equally up in the air. It's a good time for the heavyweight division.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think I’ve actually been seeing more people online say Ruiz wins? Or at least they were in the months after the first fight, maybe there’s been a comedown since.

For me, I think Joshua underestimated Ruiz the first time, which is not a mistake he’ll make twice. Joshua basically never recovered from that one shot that rocked him and I while I give all the credit to Ruiz for landing it, I think it came off of Joshua getting way over eager off the knockdown.

Entangled
Feb 24, 2013
As of right now, it seems like a lot of people are still hoping to see Wilder v. Joshua. If Ruiz wins this rematch, would it take a decisive win by Fury in February for this to even possibly be on the table for 2020?

How much of the Wilder/Joshua hype was riding on title unification?

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

I was so salty about the result of AJ-Ruiz 1 that I still haven't watched it lol. I don't even particularly like Joshua, and Ruiz seems like a good dude, I guess I just wanted the hype of Joshua v Wilder as a unification fight between two undefeated massive punchers.

Ortiz boxed absolutely beautifully against Wilder, and for him to be blown away by one punch is a real shame for him. Wilder showing that it'll take something really special to shut him out completely for 12 rounds though.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Still B.A.E posted:

I was so salty about the result of AJ-Ruiz 1 that I still haven't watched it lol. I don't even particularly like Joshua, and Ruiz seems like a good dude, I guess I just wanted the hype of Joshua v Wilder as a unification fight between two undefeated massive punchers.

Ortiz boxed absolutely beautifully against Wilder, and for him to be blown away by one punch is a real shame for him. Wilder showing that it'll take something really special to shut him out completely for 12 rounds though.

Fury doesn’t have the goods to knock Wilder out either and I don’t think he’ll box as nicely as Ortiz. It’s a dubious proposition, but if he can take it the distance he should win.

Ruiz is far more interesting to watch than Joshua, who I’ve never found particularly convincing; I’d much rather watch a chubby guy with quick hands annoying Wilder and Fury, honestly.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOXFH0f9kp4

AJ says Ruiz wins 9/10 times, which is an odd thing to say instead of saying 1/10. Not a good sign for his mental toughness.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

willie_dee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOXFH0f9kp4

AJ says Ruiz wins 9/10 times, which is an odd thing to say instead of saying 1/10. Not a good sign for his mental toughness.

Was that a gaffe or is he seriously trudging dutifully towards the gallows to be embarrassed by a funny looking fat guy?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
ok so i just watched the thing. i think you misheard it willie. aj said 'i'd say nine. i'll give him one' acknowledging the one that ruiz already took.

stupid as it is to read into these things too much, i really didn't feel like aj was all there mentally. i seriously hope he doesn't show up on fight night like that.

ruiz looks absolutely loving massive. i don't know what gear they hopped him on but the dude looks like he could compete in a strongman contest tomorrow and be competitive. additionally, he seemed as confident as ever and he echoed my thoughts when he said that he is confident that he's got joshua's number, and that he's tailor made to beat the man. immediately after the first fight i said similar. aside from the knockdown, it looked to me like ruiz was doing whatever the gently caress he wanted in there and it absolutely did not look like a fluke.

i think ruiz gets him out of there late. i'll hedge my bets with ruiz winning a decision just in case joshua brings the heart he's shown against wlad. but i am seriously of the opinion that ruiz does it again.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Having a weigh-in the day after Thanksgiving is never a good idea

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1200523699914448903?s=19

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how the hell do you miss by nearly 10% of your entire bodyweight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i was looking back through the thread and was reminded of this incident

that ref should have his loving license removed lol

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Julio Cruz posted:

how the hell do you miss by nearly 10% of your entire bodyweight

Probably was already going to miss by a pound or two and just said "gently caress it" and went to town on the Thanksgiving spread at the fight hotel

Edit: the fight is taking place at the theater at the Cosmopolitan in Vegas so at least Gutierrez made those 11 pounds count

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 30, 2019

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1202947446885814274?s=19

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
if you win by being a fat dad, you increase your power by becoming a fatter dad.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Not a great sign for Ruiz but he was already a fat gently caress so who knows if 10-15 more pounds is actually going to adversely effect him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

And to think the narrative I kept hearing before the fight was that Ruiz might lose too much weight...

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There comes a point where Ruiz wants to stop emulating Buster Douglas.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

He’s been living the good life

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ruiz gaining weight to try and absorb Joshua's power and Joshua losing to try and be more nimble?

Twitter saying Ruiz hid weights in his sombrero to make it look like he hasn't trained properly

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/Hock1717/status/1202960443960184832?s=19

No lie, I made this face after seeing Copp's tweet

Edit: Sombrero related subterfuge notwithstanding

https://twitter.com/pugboxing/status/1202974303286747136?s=19

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 6, 2019

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

+15 and he looks slimmer? those world champ roids are good. lol. i thought he looked loving huge during gloves off.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Marching Powder posted:

+15 and he looks slimmer? those world champ roids are good. lol. i thought he looked loving huge during gloves off.

Muscle weighs more than fat. You can absolutely gain weight while looking slimmer.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Made this vid which the boxing subreddit did not allow https://youtu.be/vEzYLp_TedE

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMMs new username posted:

Made this vid which the boxing subreddit did not allow https://youtu.be/vEzYLp_TedE

They're boxing podcast is insufferable and I wasn't such a lazy gently caress I would propose we start our own.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The SituAsian posted:

They're boxing podcast is insufferable and I wasn't such a lazy gently caress I would propose we start our own.

admins please rename the entire forums.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Norton the First posted:

admins please rename the entire forums.

You guessed it, I made the 'Peloton lady' face when I realized my grammatical error

https://twitter.com/stevekovach/status/1202564253946990592?s=19

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Muscle weighs more than fat. You can absolutely gain weight while looking slimmer.

INCREDIBLE!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Wow, Andy Ruiz, Berry pantastic body!

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Getting hyped for this fight. All possible outcomes (apart from a cagey no throw 12 rounder) bhave a great narrative.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

naturally i’m hoping for a joshua win to set up a rubber match in raqqa

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Quizzlefish posted:

Getting hyped for this fight. All possible outcomes (apart from a cagey no throw 12 rounder) bhave a great narrative.

guess what will most likely happen

there's no reason to hire Luis Pabón as the ref other than AJ's team wanting to replicate Wlad-Povetkin

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Ruiz is winning. Brutal knockout

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
gently caress, I’m stuck at a wedding in some poo poo tier city. Will have to sneak out at fight time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Joshua wins easy by the way

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MMMs new username posted:

Joshua wins easy by the way

that seems to be the trend at my workplace. who's doing the GDT?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

that seems to be the trend at my workplace. who's doing the GDT?

none of the usuals have anything prepared unfortunately

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Low Desert Punk posted:

Ruiz is winning. Brutal knockout

Before round seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’m predicting Joshua’s on skates all night, the fight totally sucks and Ruiz wins a close decision that Joshua and Eddie cry about.