Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They've obviously gone back to the original version of the car for HYPER NOSTALGIA reasons but is there an in-universe reason they're using Ecto-1 and not Ecto-1A?

The trend with franchise reboots is to pretend only the original movie happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wield of Streams.

The ghosts of baseball’s greatest players fleeing in terror from Ecto-1 as it chases them through an Iowa cornfield. Sounds like a Family Guy gag.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Davros1 posted:

What if it turns everybody's actually dead and they're all trapped in the containment unit?

https://twitter.com/Jacopo_della_Q/status/1203050571277774849?s=20

I would love that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Davros1 posted:

What if it turns everybody's actually dead and they're all trapped in the containment unit?

https://twitter.com/Jacopo_della_Q/status/1203050571277774849?s=20

Annie Potts is unbearably attractive there, holy poo poo.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

They've obviously gone back to the original version of the car for HYPER NOSTALGIA reasons but is there an in-universe reason they're using Ecto-1 and not Ecto-1A?

The what?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The car gets some updates in ghostbusters 2

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A. You could make an argument they bought another one and the original was mothballed.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The_Doctor posted:

Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A. You could make an argument they bought another one and the original was mothballed.

I could absolutely see Ray buying another one and giving it fancier gadgets.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Sure, why else would they get another license plate number?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was it a different prop?

I'm pretty sure they got the original Ectomobile because it was cheap as hell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was it a different prop?

The original Ecto-1 broke down during filming of GB2 (it actually carked it when they were filming the car going across the bridge, as seen in the montage), so the production had to scramble to get its hands on another 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor end-loader hearse, which was rather difficult as there were very few of that specific model that were ever produced. (Most of the fan cars you see at conventions, for example, are 1960-62 models that have been extensively modded by fans ... or you get the goobers who trick out their Subaru Outbacks or whatever and call it the Ecto-1.)

That being said, Ecto-1A was always going to be A Thing, because Columbia insisted that the movie be more toyetic than the first (due to the massive popularity of The Real Ghostbusters, which is the whole reason Columbia was pushing for the movie to be made in the first place).

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Timby posted:

The original Ecto-1 broke down during filming of GB2 (it actually carked it when they were filming the car going across the bridge, as seen in the montage), so the production had to scramble to get its hands on another 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor end-loader hearse, which was rather difficult as there were very few of that specific model that were ever produced. (Most of the fan cars you see at conventions, for example, are 1960-62 models that have been extensively modded by fans ... or you get the goobers who trick out their Subaru Outbacks or whatever and call it the Ecto-1.)

I see a guy around town that's got his mid-2000s Chevy HHR all decked out Ecto-1 style.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

smh

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

That being said, Ecto-1A was always going to be A Thing, because Columbia insisted that the movie be more toyetic than the first (due to the massive popularity of The Real Ghostbusters, which is the whole reason Columbia was pushing for the movie to be made in the first place).

GB2 always felt more like a live-action RGB movie than a continuation of the first film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

GB2 always felt more like a live-action RGB movie than a continuation of the first film.

It doesn't really work as that, though. Them being broken up makes no sense at all if you're going with RGB being even slightly in-continuity, in the cartoon Jeanine was way more overtly romantically interested in Egon and would never have gone for Louis, Winston doesn't act like either his cartoon or first film counterpart, he just acts like a guy who's happy to be working...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I just meant it was more cartoony and had Slimer hanging around.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

I just meant it was more cartoony

Not really. In many ways, it has more horror than the first (all the decapitated heads in the subway, a psycho in a painting that wants to consume a baby, the slime monster in the bathtub, Ghost Janosz as a nanny, Vigo's zombie head on Ray). That being said, when it does go for cornball comedy, it produces some truly godawful stuff (I'm thinking of the guys dogpiling Venkman and Ray yelling "GET HIM!" after the man-eating toaster trick).

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I reckon those severed heads are the most gruesome on screen horror image in any GB film, but, for my money at least the single most menacing scene is Dana being possessed by the dog. Thinking about both original films it is one of the only scenes where there is no comedic element at all, with the heads the impact is softened due to the GBs reaction to it which is funny, but the chair scene serves solely to frighten.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the mix of horror and comedy is a core franchise strength. The ghosts and monsters are grotesque and silly but also dangerous and frightening.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Timby posted:

Ghost Janosz as a nanny,

This goes against your point.

It's also, to me, the dumbest aspect of GB2.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That guy talking about all the tickets he's gotten out of in interviews makes me want to choose the form of the Destructor

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The scariest Janosz thing is when his eyes start glowing in the hallway.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was it a different prop?

You mean it was cheap for the production company?

Because the joke is that Ray bought a POS that needs to be completely rebuilt and paid $4800 for it. Which seems like a very Dan Akroyd thing to do.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kevyn posted:

Absolutely. Also, have you seen the original version of Vigo coming out of the painting? Holy shiiiiit :stare:

It's here a little ways down the page.

Anyway, saw this, thought it was pretty good:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kevyn posted:

I remember seeing a behing-the-scenes doco where they talk about shooting that scene and it was surprisingly difficult to achieve that effect

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I remember seeing a behing-the-scenes doco where they talk about shooting that scene and it was surprisingly difficult to achieve that effect

I wrote it up earlier in the thread. First they had to shoot the plate of MacNicol walking down the hall, shifting his head from right to left and back. Then they had to shoot someone walking down the hall with a flashlight, making sure the flashlight's shine on the wall and movements were exactly tracked to match MacNicol's head movements. And then finally--I think this is one of the effects that had to be offloaded to Apogee because ILM was slammed with getting effects done for all the re-shoots--the effects team had to animate the eyebeams to match everything.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Boogeyman from the Real Ghostbusters was scarier than anything in GB2.

Also, that one ghost that had a second mouth in its stomach that ate other ghosts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Also, that one ghost that had a second mouth in its stomach that ate other ghosts.

Don't forget this guy:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Absolutely. Also, have you seen the original version of Vigo coming out of the painting? Holy shiiiiit :stare:

It's here a little ways down the page.

gently caress, that's pretty frightening, that would have certainly poo poo me up as a child.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Karloff posted:

gently caress, that's pretty frightening, that would have certainly poo poo me up as a child.

Yeah, I sincerely hope Jason Reitman gets the whole 'scary is good' thing. It'll make the levity more powerful when it happens.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, I sincerely hope Jason Reitman gets the whole 'scary is good' thing. It'll make the levity more powerful when it happens.

Ghostbusters is a comedy first, sci-fi / horror second.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Timby posted:

Ghostbusters is a comedy first, sci-fi / horror second.

Yeah, I know, especially given the talent involved. That being said, good horror and good comedy just make each other stronger.

GB2016 had neither of these elements in full force.

The Mike Hat gag was pretty good, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SimonCat posted:

You mean it was cheap for the production company?

Because the joke is that Ray bought a POS that needs to be completely rebuilt and paid $4800 for it. Which seems like a very Dan Akroyd thing to do.

That sounds right, similar to the firehouse.

Lurdiak posted:

Don't forget this guy:

The creature designer for The Real Ghostbusers was Everett Peck, iirc, who has a real knack for freaky rear end poo poo. The Jumanji cartoon has some famously hosed up creatures he designed too. (see the Bogleech article)

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Do we know what time the trailer drops today? I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve over here.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

If this trailer isn't good I'm gonna take it out on all of you

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Do we know what time the trailer drops today? I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve over here.

I think it's going to be around 830 EST

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ehud posted:

If this trailer isn't good I'm gonna take it out on all of you

I hope it's bad so we can all keep our expectations low for the actual film. Then if the film is good we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

Slimer Come Home, that episode hosed me up for a while

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I hope it doesn’t drop at 8:30, I’m in the middle of nowhere for the next couple of hours with barely one bar of signal. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I think it's going to be around 830 EST

5 minutes :ohdear: