Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

It's a loving crime Karl Urban wasn't cast as Ares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
if I buy a chocolate bar am I now a taxpayer? is that what people mean when they refer to a class of people as "taxpayer"?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they mean "property owners" usually, but depending on how hard up they are for approval they may expand that to anyone paying income tax

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
taxpayer is just the discursive opposite of welfare queen

once you realize that there's no such thing as a welfare queen in real life then you realize everyone is a taxpayer

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I hate "working class" for the same reason. It sounds like a bunch of good ol hardworking blue collar boys, but is usually deployed to include every rich person who's not literally living off a trust fund and exclude the poorest who are a step below working class (evidently because they don't work hard enough)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fisting by many posted:

I hate "working class" for the same reason. It sounds like a bunch of good ol hardworking blue collar boys, but is usually deployed to include every rich person who's not literally living off a trust fund and exclude the poorest who are a step below working class (evidently because they don't work hard enough)

buddy we only have two classes in canada, the middle class and those working hard to join the middle class

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
they wouldn't want to join us if they knew we only had $6500 left per year after meeting literally every need we have and also just about every material desire. this poo poo sucks.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

once you realize that there's no such thing as a welfare queen in real life then you realize everyone is a taxpayer

It recasts the relationship to the start as transactional. The taxpayer/welfare queen dichotomy sets up the idea that some people have earned the favour of the state while others have not. More fundamental to that, however, is that transactional model obviates any role the state may have as a guarantor of rights or dignity. This is to say that one of the points of talking about people as "taxpayers" is you're no longer talking about them as "citizens."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I’m on welfare but I pay taxes what does that make me

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Every time I try to pay taxes they just get thrown right back at my face by the government. Please Sirs I want to join the lauded taxpayer class

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arivia posted:

I’m on welfare but I pay taxes what does that make me

very confused

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

It recasts the relationship to the start as transactional. The taxpayer/welfare queen dichotomy sets up the idea that some people have earned the favour of the state while others have not. More fundamental to that, however, is that transactional model obviates any role the state may have as a guarantor of rights or dignity. This is to say that one of the points of talking about people as "taxpayers" is you're no longer talking about them as "citizens."

It's also a way to use nicer language for the "striver/skiver" discursive divide that conservatives love (that's the language David Cameron used for it in the UK one election and I think it's the clearest demonstration of it). The idea is that material conditions don't matter, circumstances don't matter, and systemic advantage or disadvantage don't matter, the biggest divide is between people who just inherently want to work hard and succeed and get ahead and people who just inherently want to sponge off others and get stuff for free, and so policy should be built around rewarding the strivers and punishing the skivers as a way to force them into working against their will. That's why you cut the welfare state, that's why you cut taxes, that's why you appeal to hard-working "taxpayers" and try to cut their taxes, because the taxes are just going to feed the skivers anyway. It doesn't just recast the taxation relationships as transactional, it recasts the entire role of the state in wealth redistribution as fundamentally immoral because it's taking from working people to give to those who don't want to work.

Needless to say this is all bullshit. Skivers basically don't exist and almost every example of someone supposedly skiving or gaming the system is either coming from a source that doesn't actually understand what life is like in poverty (e.g., every conservative complaining about poor people having smartphones as if a smartphone wasn't a necessity for life and work in the 21st century--try being a poor person and getting a job without one) or is such an anomaly that it's more efficient to behave as if the anomaly doesn't exist than to try and combat it (e.g., it being cheaper to just give welfare to everyone with no checks than to pay people to fight welfare fraud, because the cost of employing the bureaucrats to do the checks is more expensive than the cost of fraudulent welfare claims).

But it's a really appealing and therefore really effective and therefore really poisonous discourse because everyone thinks they work hard and everyone knows they pay taxes because they see the deductions on their paycheque and they pay the sales taxes on things they buy and so on. So in this discursive framework every single person imagines themselves as the taxpayer/striver and whoever their most hated Other is becomes the welfare queen/skiver, which is how you see the exact same tropes about welfare queen skivers deployed in Canada to talk about indigenous people, in the US to talk about black people, in Mexico to talk about the southern poor, in Europe to talk about refugees, and so on, and so on, and so on.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

all the fun of racism, none of the baggage

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

upgunned shitpost posted:

all the fun of racism, none of the baggage

What are you talking about, I just got my Chanel luggage subsidized through Ontario Works

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

e: wrong thread

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/ChalicothereX/status/1196648623347339264
https://twitter.com/ChalicothereX/status/1203396035323629569

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
man the Target canadian expansion was so inept it’s pretty incredible.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I want to believe. i want to believe it's real. I want to believe young Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg was pulling all nighters to patch together that absolute shambles and make it look good. and at the end was like: 'lol guys sorry we almost didn't have it ready in time, anyway here you go. target canada makes total business sense!'

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 06:42 on Dec 10, 2019

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i mean, either that or he was taking bread out of the mouths of poor Canadians. choose your own galactic brain Pete Bootyjudge adventure that makes you want to jump in front of a semi (& other ppl wish you would too)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the cuts they made to legal aid in ontario were pretty brutal for the people I know who relied on it, I can't imagine how bad the cuts they were planning to make would have affected things.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

priznat posted:

man the Target canadian expansion was so inept it’s pretty incredible.

https://www.macleans.ca/economy/business/what-really-happened-at-target-canada-the-retailers-last-days/

this is an incredible read about how horribly inept business people can be sometimes

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

mckinsey was not involved in target canada, but their hands are all over loblaws

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

https://www.macleans.ca/economy/business/what-really-happened-at-target-canada-the-retailers-last-days/

this is an incredible read about how horribly inept business people can be sometimes

it actually kind of pisses me off how the assumption seemed to be that canadian customers would just suck it up and be thankful for whatever garbage service they provided. It would have been nice to have had some actual competition to walmart and crappy tire but oh well.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hmm... there's no direct canadian equivalent to our brand, so i know, let's completely undercut the one and only differentiating factor we have and instead aim to be zellers 2.0

we know how well they did because we're opening all our stores in their old locations

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

infernal machines posted:

hmm... there's no direct canadian equivalent to our brand, so i know, let's completely undercut the one and only differentiating factor we have and instead aim to be zellers 2.0

we know how well they did because we're opening all our stores in their old locations

lmao hilariously accurate

I’ve only been to Target a couple times in the states but they seemed nice, good prices with a bit of flair and well kept stores.

we’ll never get anything like that now :sigh:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

it owns that the gold standard system of accounting, data and inventory, SAP, can take two decades and several failed attempts to implement properly and never actually works properly. technology improving our lives and making things easier is the biggest scam of our lifetime

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:ssh: not so loud!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

every corporation ive worked for has had some weird mishmash of poo poo systems that they are terrified to move on from because everything is based on ancient terminal databases somewhere that no one knows how it actually works anymore. love to be in 2019 and still be using terminal emulators to run trains

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

basically that poo poo works and the only consideration is how to access those 30 year old systems with something modern. everything winds up being a hacky cludge, but if the alternative is another phoenix, well, yeah

trying to rebuild from scratch a system with 30 years of fixes and iterative improvements is a very very expensive proposition, and people tend to seriously underestimate the amount of work involved.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

i will say, i actually prefer the design and simplicity of most terminal and dos software. all the 'modern' corporate software ive used is clicking through endless loving windows where i can have like 12 things open at a time to complete one simple task

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:greencube:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Jun 20, 2021

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

pokeyman posted:

if I buy a chocolate bar am I now a taxpayer? is that what people mean when they refer to a class of people as "taxpayer"?

some people think I buy too many chocolate bars or I don’t pay my taxes

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

you gotta be a special kind of ceo to suck harder than the dude who ran saan.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

i will say, i actually prefer the design and simplicity of most terminal and dos software. all the 'modern' corporate software ive used is clicking through endless loving windows where i can have like 12 things open at a time to complete one simple task

that's the thing, those terminal interfaces are actually pretty streamlined and it takes a lot of thought and consideration to build a GUI equivalent without just making GBS threads check boxes and form fields all over the place, and absolutely no enterprise software ever does this

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I miss CLI based software and Zellers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

layers on layers. but my favourite part is “we are known for low prices. we don’t know why Canadians were expecting we would have low prices in our Canadian stores” real brain trust headscratcher there also gently caress you target

yeah lovely prices on nonexistent merchandise was quite the biz plan.

I worked in an office that was right next to the regional HQ for Target Canada and it was really lovely to see all these people lose their jobs due to constant fuckups by the higher ups until the inevitable throwing up of the hands and saying “welp I guess this market isn’t for us!”

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NumbersMatching320 posted:

I miss CLI based software and Zellers.

Boy do i have the store for you.

Army and Navy department stores still exist in calgary, and resemble a 90s run down zellers store, right down to the smell of the disgusting cafeteria, even though there is no cafeteria in them.

Is this picture from 2019 or 1993? who knows!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:greenangel:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Jun 20, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

amazing

truly you are blessed. it's like a biway with better lighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Powershift posted:

1993. the Army Navy close to me is half that full.