Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
No. Plots and dialogue still feel very anime to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its anime in a good way rather than anime in a 'somehow walking in on your female friends changing once a week, and then being beaten for it, but only in a looney tunes kind of way'

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
tsundere ryoka

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

twi doesn't even feel anime to me, so much as it's intensely d&d. it feels like a modern take on faerun that's far less human/elf-centric. just try to convince me that pisces isn't literally edwin

in the sense that anime is sometimes based on the author's d&d campaigns i guess it is anime tho

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

speaking of length

TWI Interlude - Talia is 27,700 words

e: patreon: Holy loving poo poo, Rabbiteater :magical:

e2: “Is it okay to be happy? Even when friends die? I should not feel happy. But I do. The world hurts. It is cruel. Good dies. But still. Even though I am…am I allowed to want to smile?”
:qq: :qq: :qq:

i think this might legit be the best chapter in vol 6

It really was a fantastic chapter.

I did not see the Goblin Slayer twist coming at all, and I loved it. I was worried it was just going to be some human anime fan and kinda lame and am so happy to be wrong.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Goblin Slayer :allears:

I was worried, for a while.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

HWFWM 118: I love this nerdy worldbuilding poo poo. And now I really wanna know what kind of powers the duck essence gives you.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

This rules

Cicero fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 4, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He Who Fights With Monsters is definetly fantastic and I'm sorry for the people who are turned off by the fact Jason is kind of an annoying suck person. At least it's the kind of story where its definetly on purpose and not by accident. I'm excited where the recent (patreon) team building stuff is going.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Its quality and its consistent and it’s often funny too so yeah it’s a great serial.

Just have to wean myself off the 10 dollar patreon tier.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jason is only an annoying suck person some of the time. Other times he's a great dude.

Sometimes it does feel like one of those "...and then everyone clapped" stories though, when he just effortlessly trounces people.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno. So far he's just made a bunch of powerful enemies with it. Although as a character in the story points out, nobody is quite the same as Jason, but the people who already respect him tend to respect him more for doing that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Yeah it was great. For the first big chunk of the chapter I was like "PA why the gently caress are you writing fanfic of this suck-rear end lovely racist anime trash" and then suddenly it was loving perfect.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

speaking of length

TWI Interlude - Talia is 27,700 words
This makes it the ninth longest chapter so far. There are five chapters that are over 30k words.

For reference, The Emperor's Soul, the Hugo-winning novella by Brandon Sanderson, was 32k words.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah it was great. For the first big chunk of the chapter I was like "PA why the gently caress are you writing fanfic of this suck-rear end lovely racist anime trash" and then suddenly it was loving perfect.

i mean he might share a name with the bad anime but i got much stronger doomguy/"doom slayer" vibes from the first half than anything else

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

it was a brilliant piece of metatext that the Goblin Slayer is by far the most Goblin-like of all characters

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clipperton posted:

I gave up on it because it was anime as gently caress, has that changed

Wandering Inn doesn't feel very anime to me; it's premise might be an isekai one, but its general writing is very western nerd/YA in feel. I've mentioned before not liking it, though. It's not so much that it's particularly bad on its own, but its huge popularity completely baffles me.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Wandering Inn doesn't feel very anime to me; it's premise might be an isekai one, but its general writing is very western nerd/YA in feel. I've mentioned before not liking it, though. It's not so much that it's particularly bad on its own, but its huge popularity completely baffles me.

It is popular because it is relatively well written and all the characters are interesting and have unique voices. So so so many terrible writers are unable to write people differently enough so that you can easily tell them apart.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peachfart posted:

It is popular because it is relatively well written and all the characters are interesting and have unique voices. So so so many terrible writers are unable to write people differently enough so that you can easily tell them apart.

Yeah, this is the part I partially disagree with. The characters are certainly distinct, but something about the way they speak and behave makes it impossible for me to really "buy into" them. The dialogue gives me a sort of vibe where it feels like character attributes are being exaggerated. It's like there's some other book Wandering Inn is based on that contains all of Wandering Inn's characters, and Wandering Inn is a fanfiction based off of that book (I think this is probably the best way I can think of to describe the way it feels to me).

Wandering Inn is still obviously better than the sort of dreck that is most translated WNs (and probably most English language ones as well, though I haven't read most of the stuff that isn't well received), though, so I don't think it's strange to enjoy it (though I do think it's strange to consider it "the best web novel").

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think you're just letting erin bleed into everything. erin is an over the top whirlwind of a personality because she's really, desperately trying to forget how homesick she is. she's the only character that sounds like what you're talking about. well, actually, all the earth characters are a little like that.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

It's not even the isekai premise so much, it's the frenetic pace, the (as you say) exaggerated character traits, all the wackiness...there was a point where one of the characters reacts to another with a pause and a double-eye-twitch, and I could hear the 'boink-boink' sound effect an anime show would add to it.

It is very western-nerdy too, but a lot of western nerd stuff has an anime influence so...

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i mean, with the exception of ryoka, i don't think any reader would deny that the natives of TWI are much better developed than the outworlders. but that's more due to the fact that the natives are all perfect treasures that must be protected at all costs.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Larry Parrish posted:

i think you're just letting erin bleed into everything. erin is an over the top whirlwind of a personality because she's really, desperately trying to forget how homesick she is.

Isn't she affected by magic that prevents her from being homesick?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
She’s pretty much the only one who feels homesick regularly and has / had a plan to go home?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

IIRC there seems to be something influencing the earthers to feel less homesick/make it harder to remember Earth, but it's far from absolute.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Cicero posted:

IIRC there seems to be something influencing the earthers to feel less homesick/make it harder to remember Earth, but it's far from absolute.

Luan had to tattoo the names of his kids in order to not forget them while Erin seems to have no particular issues with remembering and missing her family.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Affi posted:

Luan had to tattoo the names of his kids in order to not forget them while Erin seems to have no particular issues with remembering and missing her family.

luan told his entire group that it was super difficult for him to remember he had a wife and a newborn son, and they all confirmed that they were undergoing the same effect. once they thought of them, they could remember the details easily enough, but there was something actively suppressing their inclination to remember them in the first place. Ciri hadn't thought of her family in months.

erin meanwhile very rarely thinks about her family, though she behaves more as though she's suppressing her memory due to trauma. it's still consistent with whatever effect of the ritual suppressing her memories of home. like she didn't bring up her family at all when she was telling lyonette, numbtongue, and mrsha about earth.

the only one who seems to have no difficulty remembering her parents is ryoka, who notably has zero Levels.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There have been quite a few very recent instances of Erin just about to recall specifics about her family, only for her to struggle mentally then quickly get distracted by something, so she isn't immune to the effect. On the other hand, she's also the only character we've seen who actually feels homesick and has cried about it.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Picked up the thread on The Eagle's Flight. Really surprised that this one isn't in the OP as it's a pretty well written take on a GoT style serial. I'm not far into it but so far it has that low magic, intrigue abounds feel to it.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 7, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Rereading TWI because it's been long enough I need the refresher.

My favorite chapters to date hands down are the Doctor ones, followed mediumly by the Goblin ones (because they're a more interesting alien-ish culture than the Antinium or, uh, the typical races)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

shirunei posted:

Picked up the thread on The Eagle's Flight. Really surprised that this one isn't in the OP as it's a pretty well written take on a GoT style serial. I'm not far into it but so far it has that low magic, intrigue abounds feel to it.

Oh, cool. I read that a while back, posted about it I think either here or in the other thread but nobody seemed interested.

Haven't been keeping up because of real life stuff but it seemed super solid mediaeval intrigue stuff.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I just read the Talia chapter in TWI and it was delightful for my opinion on the chapter to suddenly swap from "why am I reading Pirateaba's lovely fanfic" to "oh you magnificent bastard" in like 10 seconds flat.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Jade Mage posted:

I just read the Talia chapter in TWI and it was delightful for my opinion on the chapter to suddenly swap from "why am I reading Pirateaba's lovely fanfic" to "oh you magnificent bastard" in like 10 seconds flat.

Speaking of which, was there ever an explanation for the Erin Learns All About Furry Dicks chapter? I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what's going on behind the curtain, but that came so hard out of left field that I genuinely couldn't figure out if it was, like, Pirateaba trying to engage an untapped market or what. I'm almost certain it wasn't author appeal because I didn't get the same sleazy anthro vibe from the rest of what I read, but holy poo poo dude.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did it need to have a reason? Maybe pirateaba just wanted to explain why Erin never shows any interest in anyone. But theres not really any direct references to anyone having sex if I remember so maybe they just hadn't figured out if they wanted to write about that yet and used response as a way to gauge it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of which, was there ever an explanation for the Erin Learns All About Furry Dicks chapter? I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what's going on behind the curtain, but that came so hard out of left field that I genuinely couldn't figure out if it was, like, Pirateaba trying to engage an untapped market or what. I'm almost certain it wasn't author appeal because I didn't get the same sleazy anthro vibe from the rest of what I read, but holy poo poo dude.

It was an April Fools joke, wasn't it? I think she was just writing it on a lark for shits and giggles, or to gently caress with her readers a tad. The whole thing was very tongue-in-cheek.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

It was an April Fools joke, wasn't it? I think she was just writing it on a lark for shits and giggles, or to gently caress with her readers a tad. The whole thing was very tongue-in-cheek.

P sure it was something requested by her furry readers.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That chapter was super creepy and made me incredibly wary about the story going forward for a bit. Luckily pirateaba has resisted anymore chapters like that.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The discord had been steadily trying to convince her to do mating rituals 2 for ages, myself included. We're gonna get a preview of that with folianas chapter where she messes with people inside a brothel :getin:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I don't remember the chapter being 'super creepy', I mean if you have a fantasy world with different species some of them are gonna gently caress each other yeah. I don't see that as inherently creepy.

On the whole TWI feels nearly sexless most of the time, I don't get why anyone would react so strongly to one chapter that's focused on it out of the hojillion words Pirateaba has written.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah I don't see the problem. It's not like any actual sex happened, let alone any specific details about it. It was just drakes and gnolls speaking really broadly about the topic, akin to "they were like a stallion in bed". She was set up on a few dates and the closest thing to anything icky happening was her stupidly not realizing that stroking a drake's tail was considered a sexually aggressive maneuver. Plus there's even a warning at the top that the chapter isn't necessary to anything and to stay away if the idea of the chapter turns you off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I want more hot bone action tbh

More toren.