Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's gonna win?
Yotsuba
Yotsuba
Miku
Miku
Yotsuba
View Results

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

So there's what, five more chapters left?

I thought it was to end at the close of volume 14, right? That would give it over twenty chapters to go.

Anyway, the way this is going I don't think the author will piss off the fanbase like in other series... even if you weren't on board with Yotsuba this is just too warm-hearted to really get upset about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

New Chapter is out

No bait.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 10, 2019

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I don't usually read the comments, but they're pretty fun this time around, especially if you like salt.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's very tempting to just make this image the OP.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agronox posted:

I thought it was to end at the close of volume 14, right? That would give it over twenty chapters to go.

Anyway, the way this is going I don't think the author will piss off the fanbase like in other series... even if you weren't on board with Yotsuba this is just too warm-hearted to really get upset about.

Yeah, it's bearable so long as the mangaka doesn't rub salt into the wound by making Nino or Miku bake the wedding cake.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

JosephWongKS posted:

Yeah, it's bearable so long as the mangaka doesn't rub salt into the wound by making Nino or Miku bake the wedding cake.

Didn't the author say that Onodera was one of the few good things he got out of that manga? In any case, wish they'd let him restart and properly finish Double Arts.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The day of the wedding is here. Fuutarou is standing at the the altar. The door opens and all 5 quint's walk in dressed as brides. They tell Fuutarou that he has to find out which one is Yotsuba. He smiles and confidently walks to the 4th from the left. He takes her hand and says "This is my bride."

But it's actually Itsuki though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm happy with this, since he at least chose the second best (after Nino obviously, no idea why any of you like Miku) and it was a pretty unexpected choice all things considered.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Has Fuutarou had corrected his belief that Itsuki was the Quint he met in Kyoto when he was little? I remember they revealed it was Yotsuba who he met in town and Ichika was the Quint he hung out with in the inn afterwards but not whether it actually ever got corrected with him.

Also since Yotsuba was actually the first quint he met, does this mean that First Girl Wins still applies?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Conot posted:

does this mean that First Girl Wins still applies?

no, cus if that was the case the childhood friend would always win.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I was pretty well in Camp Miku, but I still think this is one of the best emotional payoffs I've seen in a manga like this.

I re-read from chap 1 to 114 yesterday and there's so many hints all over the place. Yotsuba telling Fuutarou she loves him in like chapter 30 is heartbreaking.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
she was always being set up as the one, but in ways that were plausibly deniable within each arc. best example is in the scrambled eggs arc when fuutarou recognizes yotsuba immediately. like yeah, she's bad at acting, but the fact that fuutarou even remembered she was bad at acting at that point in the story was itself remarkable

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Yotsuba had a lot of hints that were so strong that nobody took seriously because her actual arcs were pretty weak and there was never really a point where she really fell in love with him like the others. Theres that obvious 4 = ring finger = marriage stuff. Once when they play that ridiculous finger guessing game, and the second time in the nurses office where shes holding his ring finger. If that had been anyone else you would never have heard the end of it but I dont remember it brought up in much in discussion even after Yotsuba got a real arc.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Rubellavator posted:

Yotsuba had a lot of hints that were so strong that nobody took seriously because her actual arcs were pretty weak and there was never really a point where she really fell in love with him like the others.

Some people caught it. There was a 44 page (!) dossier explaining why Yotsuba was the one floating around a few months ago.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I started thinking that Yotsuba was going to be it as soon as she confessed to him. I still wanted it to be Miku, but they had established even back then that Yotsuba couldn't be anything but forthright.

There was also a hint the first time Fuutarou met adult/fake Rena that he thought Yotsuba had feelings for him, so he at least has been aware of her the longest of them all.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yotsuba's also the only one to treat him with any respect at all at the start of the series

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

Yotsuba's also the only one to treat him with any respect at all at the start of the series

I know, it's wild how he ends up falling in love with the girl who didn't completely dispise him from the outset.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 11, 2019

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I am really looking forward to Yotsuba telling him she is Kyoto Quint.

Although I suspect he already knows.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I honestly hope they never bring that up ever again because I feel it detracts from the story. They said, like, a billion years ago that everyone should stop focusing on the past like that and that was the best possible conclusion to that plot thread. And then they brought it back up again a few times for no reason.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Roobanguy posted:

no, cus if that was the case the childhood friend would always win.

If the childhood friend is the first new girl to be introduced into the MC's life, they will win, just the same as the first alien/goddess/party member/slave to do the same. If the childhood friend was already present in the MC's life, they will lose, because the story is about the new girl's relationship with the MC. If the childhood friend is introduced after the first new girl, the CF will lose just like all the other best girls. That's just how it works.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

If the childhood friend is the first new girl to be introduced into the MC's life, they will win, just the same as the first alien/goddess/party member/slave to do the same. If the childhood friend was already present in the MC's life, they will lose, because the story is about the new girl's relationship with the MC. If the childhood friend is introduced after the first new girl, the CF will lose just like all the other best girls. That's just how it works.

Plus didn't someone say Negi's editor pushed Negi to have Itsuki introduced first? Which means without editor meddling Yotsuba would have been the first girl introduced to him, at lunch

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Conot posted:

Plus didn't someone say Negi's editor pushed Negi to have Itsuki introduced first? Which means without editor meddling Yotsuba would have been the first girl introduced to him, at lunch

Huh. Would also have made more sense, since she was the one struggling worse with school.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Clarste posted:

I honestly hope they never bring that up ever again because I feel it detracts from the story. They said, like, a billion years ago that everyone should stop focusing on the past like that and that was the best possible conclusion to that plot thread. And then they brought it back up again a few times for no reason.

this is the main reason i'm bummed with this ending. Saying it doesn't matter which one was rena and then... picking the one that was rena anyway just feels like a cop-out.

and also because nino is best.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

On the upside Nino is cool and won't have a problem moving past this.

Miku, on the other hand, will end up joining the Japanese equivalent of the alt-right.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Nah, Miku will find some nice oji-sans who will have private sessions with her and give her lots of money. They're really, really nice oji-sans.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Darke GBF posted:

Nah, Miku will find some nice oji-sans who will have private sessions with her and give her lots of money. They're really, really nice oji-sans.

This is a curse. All 5 quints will be happy, just that Yotsuba will be extra happy :colbert:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Darke GBF posted:

okay getting kinda weird now

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

To everyone who supported Yotsuba, this is for you.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
So apparently the raws are out and there's a huge cluster gently caress of chaos going on.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yotsuba is probably the second best end for me, but makes more sense than my preferred end

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The end of the chapter might imply that the manga will soon be titled 4-Toubun no Hanayome.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

There was always going to be fallout over the decisions made by the characters.

I'm just happy we actually get to see it play out rather than just ending right away or skipping straight to the wedding like some other romance mangas.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat, conspiracy confirmed.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Ibblebibble posted:

drat, conspiracy confirmed.

A very orange shade to that hair :thunk:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

A very orange shade to that hair :thunk:

Yotsuba has the orange hair in official art.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think my biggest issue isn't even Yotsuba winning (I genuinely liked all five and would have been upset no matter what :v:) but I think the last arc with the festival was like, the weakest one in the entire manga.

DoubleDonut posted:

I feel like Miku was the first one on good terms, really, since Yotsuba also didn't seem to take him remotely seriously.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cuntellectual posted:

I think my biggest issue isn't even Yotsuba winning (I genuinely liked all five and would have been upset no matter what :v:) but I think the last arc with the festival was like, the weakest one in the entire manga.

I feel like Miku was the first one on good terms, really, since Yotsuba also didn't seem to take him remotely seriously.
It's because it took like a volume and a half (or two volumes? It kinda went on longer than it should've, basically) to get it over and done with. And like I love the quints (and fuutarou), but like most of the whole shebang could've come and go in a volume tops and it would've arguably been a stronger arc.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Cuntellectual posted:

Rereading the first set of chapters is interesting knowing Yotsuba knows him already, cause you can see she’s trying to get closer to him. It’s just very easy to write off cause Yotsuba is the friendly Quint

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Wark Say posted:

It's because it took like a volume and a half (or two volumes? It kinda went on longer than it should've, basically) to get it over and done with. And like I love the quints (and fuutarou), but like most of the whole shebang could've come and go in a volume tops and it would've arguably been a stronger arc.

The entire thing with Itsuki is what killed it for me. That entire plot point with their dad was completely stupid and nonsensical. Like wtf?

Allarion posted:

Rereading the first set of chapters is interesting knowing Yotsuba knows him already, cause you can see she’s trying to get closer to him. It’s just very easy to write off cause Yotsuba is the friendly Quint

That's actually a pretty good point. Even if she doesn't take him 'seriously', she's definitely the friendliest, and her not really trying to study is more likely a symptom of her lack of self worth as opposed to not wanting to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Cuntellectual posted:

The entire thing with Itsuki is what killed it for me. That entire plot point with their dad was completely stupid and nonsensical. Like wtf?

The fact that Itsuki never got to have her own arc entirely by herself sucks. It really feels like not much would have changed if the manga was about quadruplets rather than quintuplets.