Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I was always a little confused by fuel in Mobile Suits. Like... They run on reactors right? That doesn't scream to mind for liquid fuel, and yet there's plenty of examples of mobile suits gushing the stuff (not to mention South Burning's stupid death)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

I was always a little confused by fuel in Mobile Suits. Like... They run on reactors right? That doesn't scream to mind for liquid fuel, and yet there's plenty of examples of mobile suits gushing the stuff (not to mention South Burning's stupid death)

Even if you're using a nuclear thermal rocket, you need an exhaust mass to push your craft. An NTR gets its thrust from pushing a gas (ideally hydrogen) through a reactor to heat it up and get it really energetic so it has more energy when it leaves the nozzle.

If you look at suits like the Gerbera Tetra, or the RX-78-5 [bst], you'll see additional propellant tanks to extend the amount of time they can fight before coming back to refuel. (Or in the Gerbera's case probably to have enough fuel to gas those giant engines.) Even if the suits aren't using chemical propellant, they still need propellant.

fake edit: This post brought to you by way too many hours in Kerbal Space Program.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

The out of series data describes them as semi-perpetual energy machines. Given what we know from the series, there has been some delving into the theoretical sci-fi behind them, and the best guess is that they work off of catalyzing proton decay by way of magnetic monopoles. When they decay they create gamma photons which are fairly high energy and can be captured by high efficiency solar panels inside the reactor. Hence why it would be called a solar furnace. The actual fuel for the reactor is molecular hydrogen, which is basically everywhere, which is why it can run more or less infinitely.

It is fairly nonsense given what we know of actual physics, but like most well written sci-fi it holds just close enough to reality that it sounds good unless you do a deep dive into why it wouldn't work.

Edit: Found the Link that talks about this. Fun reading on the theoreticals behind it.

The short version is they generate a broad spectrum of particles, and can contain and harness the nastier parts of the output within the reactor to sustain its own ongoing power generation using a particle 'blanket' as a filter. All that escapes is harmless GN particles. The mass-production drives lack the blanket, so they fundamentally burn dirty for a limited active lifetime and barf out fairly nasty radiation along with GN particles.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The short version is they generate a broad spectrum of particles, and can contain and harness the nastier parts of the output within the reactor to sustain its own ongoing power generation using a particle 'blanket' as a filter. All that escapes is harmless GN particles. The mass-production drives lack the blanket, so they fundamentally burn dirty for a limited active lifetime and barf out fairly nasty radiation along with GN particles.

Is it ever explained why the Tau drives lack the filter, or is that just chalked up to the non-CB factions not understanding the black box technology?

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Kanos posted:

I'm not entirely sure of the feasibility of Trowa trawling around a battlefield in a truck trying to fish unexploded ordinance out of the mangled and scattered ruins of an army of mobile suits he just exploded with missiles and vulcans.

Sine the Gundams mainly attacked bases I figure he would get the spare ammo containers from the base weapons and ammunition storage.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Onmi posted:

I’ve always thought of that as hydraulic fluid for the limbs or maybe, as pointed out, fuel for the thrusters instead of the reactor.
Could be coolant or a neutron moderator for the reactor, I guess, but I think part of the scifi is that they only need magnetic fields to control themselves.

Warmachine posted:

Is it ever explained why the Tau drives lack the filter, or is that just chalked up to the non-CB factions not understanding the black box technology?

I haven’t watched the series since it came out, but I recall there was some quirk of physics near Jupiter that meant proper drives could only be built in orbit of the gas giant.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 12, 2019

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Its due to THE POWER.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Warmachine posted:

The TD Blanket that is the difference between a regular and a [t] Drive can apparently only be manufactured at Jupiter. Since Tau drives are imitations based on the original designs for true GN Drives presumably the ESF/A-LAWs/Innovators know this, know what it takes to make a TD Blanket, and could have have gone to Jupiter to make a real GN Drive but chose not out of lack of desire, resources, genuine need, time, or because it's narratively convenient that only the good guys have the distinctive green particles. It's not totally unjustified either since you can crank out Tau drives pretty readily on Earth and Tau drives still make very kill-y Mobile Suits that have many of the fun features you could enjoy on a real GN Drive. Couple this with the improvements they make to Tau drives over the series (No longer venting death radiation everywhere, Trans-Am, eventually even a Twin Drive system) and it makes plenty of sense that most people are using Taus for the entire back half of the series, including eventually Celestial Being themselves.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't it a plot point that part of how to build GN drives was intentionally only known by the engineers, and not stored in the computer, in case their computer got hacked?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Possibly. Either that or locked up in Veda.

I honestly have no idea where the data for trans-am was kept given that it seems to have been a secret to Ribbons.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
The first season implied that the haro the Trinitys had was on the Jupiter mission and not deleted when it was found by the Corner group at a later time. The trans am and twin drive information was on a black box built into the original five gn drives

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Tau Twin Drive was "only" a double-output system iirc. It was powerful, but didn't achiece the true output-squared synchronicity the GN Drives did.

Also Celestial Being only used them because like two of their original 5 drives had been destroyed at that point.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Even if you're using a nuclear thermal rocket, you need an exhaust mass to push your craft. An NTR gets its thrust from pushing a gas (ideally hydrogen) through a reactor to heat it up and get it really energetic so it has more energy when it leaves the nozzle.

If you look at suits like the Gerbera Tetra, or the RX-78-5 [bst], you'll see additional propellant tanks to extend the amount of time they can fight before coming back to refuel. (Or in the Gerbera's case probably to have enough fuel to gas those giant engines.) Even if the suits aren't using chemical propellant, they still need propellant.

fake edit: This post brought to you by way too many hours in Kerbal Space Program.

Yeah, that's also how things work in IBO. Ahab Reactors keep working for centuries, to the point where digging up an old MS can provide a whole military base with power. For basic movement on ships and Mobile Suits, that's plenty. But for anything demanding higher speed, you need exhaust mass. Which is why Tekkadan spends so much time in fights worrying about refueling.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

I’ve always thought of that as hydraulic fluid for the limbs or maybe, as pointed out, fuel for the thrusters instead of the reactor.
Could be coolant or a neutron moderator for the reactor, I guess, but I think part of the scifi is that they only need magnetic fields to control themselves.

I haven’t watched the series since it came out, but I recall there was some quirk of physics near Jupiter that meant proper drives could only be built in orbit of the gas giant.

If you subscribe to the magnetic monopole (which are themselves a Topological Defect) idea for GN Drives, monopoles are likely found in high gravity places like stars. Hard to get anything out of the sun, but a giant planet with high gravity is probably easier to recover monopoles from.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Tau Twin Drive was "only" a double-output system iirc. It was powerful, but didn't achiece the true output-squared synchronicity the GN Drives did.

I believe official material states that a Tau Twin Drive does have more than double output, but less than squared output like a GN Twin Drive had. Also Braves apparently didn't have a Twin Drive and "just" had two Tau Drives whereas the Reborns Gundam had a proper Twin Drive.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Omnicrom posted:

I believe official material states that a Tau Twin Drive does have more than double output, but less than squared output like a GN Twin Drive had. Also Braves apparently didn't have a Twin Drive and "just" had two Tau Drives whereas the Reborns Gundam had a proper Twin Drive.

If I recall properly that's why that mobile armor from the end of Season 1 while really powerful didn't just curbstomp the Exia in spite of having like 6 Tau Drives, they weren't in sync or anything

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Omnicrom posted:

Oh, that's right :doh:. I forgot about the regular MS's packing dual-drive setups.

drrockso20 posted:

If I recall properly that's why that mobile armor from the end of Season 1 while really powerful didn't just curbstomp the Exia in spite of having like 6 Tau Drives, they weren't in sync or anything

Yeah, that was just multiple drives barfing out particles in mass quantity, while a proper Twin-Drive generates them in stupidly-high densities. It's like comparing a bunch of taps pushing out X litres per minute and a single firehose doing the same.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man what is even going on in the latest ReRise?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Raxivace posted:

Man what is even going on in the latest ReRise?

Yeah it's almost like we missed an episode. The revelation about May from the previous episode wasn't even mentioned. And the new revelations didn't feel very meaningful at all. They weren't on Earth, they were on... Eldora! OK. So what? Clearly they weren't on the real Earth or the Earth from any of the previous Gundam shows. So why does the name not being Earth matter?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It’s just weird that we seem to be in the endgame already and I feel like I have very little grasp on who the antagonists even are.

Maybe we do actually have a second cour coming but this is very odd.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Raxivace posted:

It’s just weird that we seem to be in the endgame already and I feel like I have very little grasp on who the antagonists even are.

Maybe we do actually have a second cour coming but this is very odd.

Is this not a 26 episode show? I'm assuming the bad guys are going to blow up that town, the main resistance guy is going to die and the protagonists are all going to finally realize that the animal people are thinking feeling beings. I'd thought we'd then get a bunch of episodes dealing with that and we'd see thing like the Creator they keep mentioning. May's had some idea something's up since the beginning, but the other's will finally realize that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Episode 11 was called “Last Mission” so I thought we were closing up here soon, but I can’t find anything online atm that definitively says how long its going.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think that's because that's what they thought it was, and I guess there is a possibility that their conflicts will start to be something they decide to do, once they learn the truth of how things work, and not missions that they are receiving.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, they mean it's a turning point, not the literal end of the show. This all feels like a very first-half conflict.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, they mean it's a turning point, not the literal end of the show. This all feels like a very first-half conflict.

Yep. This is the end of "disk 1" in old JRPG fashion.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm excited to see what the plot of the show is.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I'm excited to see what the plot of the show is.

Veda has gone off the rails and built the Death Star. Not-Alderaan gets blown up and our heroes and the Resistance survivors have to travel the galaxy/to other worlds and build a Resistance to prevent it from happening elsewhere.

Along the way, Hiroto learns to use The Force from Sarah, and learns that the Seltzam pilot is his real father. Kazami, Par, and May go off on a side quest to a player-owned city run by one of Kazami's old teammates. The teammate betrays Kazami to the Seltzam pilot, and as a plot to lure out Hiroto, puts May in suspended animation to analyze before deleting.

Hiroto, Par, Kazami, and Kazami's teammate end up teaming up to rescue May, and our heroes travel to the Resistance rally point to meet with Furries from every corner of GBN. Together with an army of Haros they fight the One-Eyes, and Hiroto redeems the Seltzam pilot, who destroys Veda and the Death Star.

Goddamn this gimmick post was horrible to write.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If it’s any consolation it sucked pretty bad to read too.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Looks like an SCP entry in here now.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Midjack posted:

If it’s any consolation it sucked pretty bad to read too.

Outstanding! My effort was not in vain!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I liked the episode because of the implication that Kazami's impatience to have the game go on will probably cause a digital genocide

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I started watching IBO thanks to Cross Rays and it was really rad at first, I like the characters and the action is cool. It's nice to see a gundam series that's anti-war but not in the same old sort of "we shouldn't fight and instead just communicate and understand one another!" way like usual.

But, uh, what's with the hard turn into polygamy power hour?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nuebot posted:

I started watching IBO thanks to Cross Rays and it was really rad at first, I like the characters and the action is cool. It's nice to see a gundam series that's anti-war but not in the same old sort of "we shouldn't fight and instead just communicate and understand one another!" way like usual.

But, uh, what's with the hard turn into polygamy power hour?

They try to walk it back a little in the second season. It's explained that Naze calls all of his crew his wives because that gives them a level of protection from other mob guys who might try to mess with them otherwise. And the vast majority of them are just his employees, he only has romantic or sexual relationships with the women who are into it. How much better that makes it is questionable.

Bottom line, the show always presents the Turbines as a positive example of an unusual family making it in a tough universe. They aren't always going to be front and center, but they never really go away. YMMV on how that effects your enjoyment of the show.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Honestly, the part that threw me for a loop wasn't the weirdo with his ship of "wives" but how quickly the main character's love interest jumped on board the threesome train pretty much the instant she realized the other lady was into him too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Honestly, the part that threw me for a loop wasn't the weirdo with his ship of "wives" but how quickly the main character's love interest jumped on board the threesome train pretty much the instant she realized the other lady was into him too.

Yeah that doesn't change.

Naze Turbine and the Turbines are unfortunately home to most of the show's biggest issues for a wide variety of reason. That isn't to say all the characters are bad but generally if you want to point to IBO's biggest flaws they almost all involve the Turbines in some way.

One thing I forgot before I played Cross Rays is also that Naze Turbine drops all sorts of casual homophobia which is loving rich from a dude they're trying to make argue for non-standard relationships.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 16, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nuebot posted:

A lot could be said about the problems with the Turbines but I unabashedly love that they went with this instead of tedious love triangle bullshit

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Blockhouse posted:

A lot could be said about the problems with the Turbines but I unabashedly love that they went with this instead of tedious love triangle bullshit

This.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nuebot posted:

Well yeah, the only example of a "positive" adult relationship she's seen is the Turbines

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Kudelia being into Mika always felt extremely forced in the story. She knows enough of the world to know that he is super messed up and has some issues. Atra made sense due to the shared martian orphan stuff, but the Kudelia thing just seemed to happen because the writers wanted it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Well yeah, the only example of a "positive" adult relationship she's seen is the Turbines

Not quite true. Although we don't see it on screen, her boss at the shop was married and seemed happy with it. (Which, less positively, lead to Atra being sure that Mika having a kid would fix his suicidal tendencies.)