Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

She's rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gently caress

YES

This looks amazing

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

McLovin as a date rapist about to get his comeuppance is perfecto.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:bisonyes:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i hope this movie is as good as its spiritual sibling Hard Candy. Hard Candy is a hard (lol) movie to watch but it's incredibly well shot and Ellen Page and Patrick Wilson are awesome in it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Man, I loving love Toxic.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wizardofloneliness posted:

Man, I loving love Toxic.

Yeah move over Blue Monday, your reign did not last long.

Man the nice guys are gonna go loving wild over this and I can’t wait for the tears.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah move over Blue Monday, your reign did not last long.

Man the nice guys are gonna go loving wild over this and I can’t wait for the tears.

poo poo I didn’t even think about the ancillary entertainment that will arise.

#NOTALLNICEGUYS

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

This movie is for me. :stwoon:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hell yeah I'm down for The Nice Guy Punisher

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

McSpanky posted:

Hell yeah I'm down for The Nice Guy Punisher

this post just reminded me of Sweet/Vicious, a gone-far-too-soon MTV show about two young women in college who team up to beat the poo poo out of abusers who escape traditional means of punishment, after one of them is raped by her best friend/sorority sister's boyfriend.

everyone should go watch it, it's only 10 episodes and you too can feel annoyed that such a good show got the boot so quickly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Proteus Jones posted:

#NOTALLNICEGUYS

LMAO

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReHJImvkZUo

I know we’re all getting a little much of Lin-Manuel Miranda atm but In The Heights is a genuinely wonderful musical about culture and dreams and family and it took this movie a very long time to get made but it feels like it’s coming at just the right moment.

Plus it’s got Stephanie Beatriz in it! How could you say no to this face:

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 12, 2019

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Spiritual sequel to An Education.

Also, looks like the most out-there movie Carey Mulligan's ever done. Listening to her in that accent just breaks my brain.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

DC Murderverse posted:

In The Heights

That arrangement is super weird and melodramatic for the opening number, but I assume it won’t stick around. I’m also sort of disappointed they’re going with a framing story (presumably) to “explain” all the singing and dancing. Just lean into it, musicals, you’re not going to lose your audience.

None of it matters though because it’s a wonderful show, I’ll see it without question, and I’m happy for it to get more play.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The plot of a Promising Young Woman is spoiled/detailed on the following website.

http://scriptshadow.net/screenplay-review-promising-young-woman/

There's one bit that comes off as really skeevy to me and not something I'd want to see:

That’s until Chris shows up. Chris was her classmate back in med school. He’s shocked to see Cassandra, and instantly flirts with her, somehow convincing her to go out with him. When Chris starts reminiscing about school, we learn why Cassandra does what she does. Back then, a friend in their group, Nina, was sexually assaulted by another mutual friend of theirs, Al. Nina reported it, but nobody in their group or at the college believed her. She eventually dropped out and committed suicide.

Chris was only a periphery friend so he only barely remembers the incident. However, this reminder lights a fire under Cassandra, who begins a “project” to enact revenge on everyone involved. First she lures the now-married friend who most vocally didn’t believe Nina into a hotel room with a predatory man. She kidnaps the daughter of the school administrator who didn’t believe Nina and places her in a room full of drunk frat boys. She even shows up to the rapist’s bachelor party for a final get-even play.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Read that as SuperShadow for a moment and was impressed that he turned his Star Wars rumor empire into a modern-day site.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SimonCat posted:

The plot of a Promising Young Woman is spoiled/detailed on the following website.

http://scriptshadow.net/screenplay-review-promising-young-woman/

There's one bit that comes off as really skeevy to me and not something I'd want to see:

That’s until Chris shows up. Chris was her classmate back in med school. He’s shocked to see Cassandra, and instantly flirts with her, somehow convincing her to go out with him. When Chris starts reminiscing about school, we learn why Cassandra does what she does. Back then, a friend in their group, Nina, was sexually assaulted by another mutual friend of theirs, Al. Nina reported it, but nobody in their group or at the college believed her. She eventually dropped out and committed suicide.

Chris was only a periphery friend so he only barely remembers the incident. However, this reminder lights a fire under Cassandra, who begins a “project” to enact revenge on everyone involved. First she lures the now-married friend who most vocally didn’t believe Nina into a hotel room with a predatory man. She kidnaps the daughter of the school administrator who didn’t believe Nina and places her in a room full of drunk frat boys. She even shows up to the rapist’s bachelor party for a final get-even play.

That does indeed sound pretty skeevy, but I'm okay with a movie tackling themes of vengeance also exploring the territory of going too far and innocents getting caught in the crossfire/used as pawns in the revenge scheme. Even if the revenge seems righteous, especially if it does. It depends on how the spoilered events are depicted by the movie, it could go either way.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
meh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb90gqGYP9c

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Boxman posted:

That arrangement is super weird and melodramatic for the opening number, but I assume it won’t stick around. I’m also sort of disappointed they’re going with a framing story (presumably) to “explain” all the singing and dancing. Just lean into it, musicals, you’re not going to lose your audience.

None of it matters though because it’s a wonderful show, I’ll see it without question, and I’m happy for it to get more play.
Honestly... I wonder if the frame device is more about future proofing. The Washington Heights being presented is in a lot of ways an anarchoonism. Might as well already present it as a bit of a fairy tale. I do like how much of the neighborhood they're actually using like the 191st Street subway tunnel.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

That's quite a boring trailer. Geez.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the character intro videos for the witcher look much better than the trailer, there was some sweet looking poo poo in Geralts for sure

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Not a movie, but this is art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pYJNY2lsWk

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Haha

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

I just want sexy people touching butts and fighting giant monsters. Large scale medieval battles are boring as poo poo and have been done to death. Old timey politics are boring as poo poo and have been done to death. Stab some swamp monsters and make out on their corpses.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Please take over as showrunner for the second season.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm getting some real Sir Digby Chicken Caesar vibes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Immediately where my mind went as well.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

It’s more interesting than The Witcher trailer at least

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I love Henry Cavill, but I can't bring myself to care about this show. I think maybe because I never played the games. I hope other people care, because I'm not sure how many hits this man's career can take.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I haven't seen anything in those trailers yet that convinces me there's any compelling characters in the whole thing. Say what you want about the unevenness of Game of Thrones, but they knew how to make living, breathing characters.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thought this was a Forgotten Realms game or show about Drizzt and crew.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

thrawn527 posted:

I love Henry Cavill, but I can't bring myself to care about this show. I think maybe because I never played the games. I hope other people care, because I'm not sure how many hits this man's career can take.

Self quoting to say, that being said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUST_IQYp-o

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0CL-ZSuCrQ

In The Heights trailer looks good. Feels like they are going to modernize the story a little. Show spoiler ahead, I also predict that they're going to frame it so that it appears Usnavi ended up moving to the Dominican Republic from the prologue, then reveal at the end he stays in NYC but visits the island sometimes, or went to spread Abuela Claudia's ashes or something.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The Witcher series may turn out to be quite bad, the latest trailer certainly is. But the Witcher books are rife with great characters and interesting plotlines. I guess we'll see (or won't for those turned off by the marketing).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Thought this was a Forgotten Realms game or show about Drizzt and crew.

Isn't it a trailer for the new Dark Alliance game?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
At its core, The Witcher is about a genetically modified warrior who wanders around a fictional Poland, slaying monsters for profit. The trailer doesn't show any of that, which implies that the showrunners don't care about the property and just want yet another game of thrones. Why ignore all of the stuff that actually makes your ip unique?

When the first trailers drop for amazon's tolkien series, i expect them to be identical — wars, politics, game of thrones, while showing the bare minimum interest in the unique parts of the IP

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 13, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

thrawn527 posted:

My sentiments exactly. I'm not even sure the game fans tuning in will meet Netflix's expectations for series these days.

Cavill seems like a very talented, if not too smart, guy, it's really baffling that his career hasn't taken off.

Edit: Isn't he British? Why is he doing his American accent in that reading video?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They have shown in other trailers him facing down monsters.

Let's wait for the show to come out before some goon goes, "THEY DONT CARE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Cavill is completely uninteresting except for his disgustingly sexy physique