Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
JJ suggested the Ashoka would be in the movie in some interview. I want her to be the person who asks Rey her name so the movie can end on a complete nonsense note because 95% of the audience will have never seen a single episode of Clone Wars or Rebels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Horizon Burning posted:

bunch of visual dictionary pages being leaked. they, of course, confirm the previous leaks.

I'm not even smug at this point. just sad for everybody who deluded themselves

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Its Coke posted:

I'm not even smug at this point. just sad for everybody who deluded themselves

The person who leaked the dictionary pages is insisting the leaks are wrong, which has led to people going 'Okay, how exactly?' and there's nothing but radio silence.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shiroc posted:

JJ suggested the Ashoka would be in the movie in some interview. I want her to be the person who asks Rey her name so the movie can end on a complete nonsense note because 95% of the audience will have never seen a single episode of Clone Wars or Rebels.
It's probably going to be a background thing like the ship from Rebels appearing in Rogue One (and apparently that fleet shot in TROS' trailer)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Now I'm resigned to paying JJ 15 dollars to laugh at him

$15 for a general admission ticket? By me it's $9.25 unless it's matinee/senior/child/military/student, then it's $5.50.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Shiroc posted:

So we can add her to the long, long list of heroes who couldn't bring themselves to give a poo poo and get involved in the Resistance-First Order slapfight?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
she's going to be a voice that speaks to rey in the final confrontation or something

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Almost no Christmas viewer is going to recognize anybody in those voices except for Luke, Kenobi, Yoda, and maybe Anakin.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've read the thrawn series, played the Lucasarts games and seen the tartskovsky star wars cartoons and I have no idea who this Ashoka person is or why anyone cares

Just have Mara Jade there instead who gives a poo poo

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I hope that scene plays out exactly like a "We believe in you!!" cutscene all RPGs have before the final boss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXQvMkamhQ

Except it's a bunch of obscure fan favorite characters that will be super confusing to 99% of all viewers.

And/or, they all say stuff like "I'm Ahsoka Tano from the Clone Wars, and I believe in you Rey."
"And I'm the Mandalorian from the Mandalorian, and I believe in you and so does baby Yoda."
"And I'm Bob Iger. Catch these heroes and more on Disney+, scan this code for a free trial"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

And at the end, they all clap and say "congratulations" to Rey.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We went for dinner and

Yaddle yaddle yaddle

Beeez
May 28, 2012
And after she zaps Sheev the opening crawl text appears in the sky, saying "Congratulation! You are super player!"

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

I've read the thrawn series, played the Lucasarts games and seen the tartskovsky star wars cartoons and I have no idea who this Ashoka person is or why anyone cares

How about not throwing in random characters that have no connection to the movies. I still don't know if the guy from start of force awakens was someone of importance from some lovely comic book or it was just a rando living in desert, having a map to luke for no reason

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

First #2, then #1.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

mastershakeman posted:

That's your fault then, no?

Clone Wars is widely regarded as giving the PT some depth and redeems it some ways too. It's well worth your time to check it out.

Here's a easy viewing guide if you just want to jump right in: https://www.starwarsreport.com/2018/10/03/the-clone-wars-viewing-guide-how-to-watch-the-series-chronologically-arc-by-arc/

Ahsoka is a padawan of Anakin's and forms a pretty close bond to him. This is all considered true to the story too and why stuff like the ship from Rebels and Chopper show up in Rogue One. It's tying the universe together.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Clone Wars is pretty great and expands on the (good) plot basis the prequels have and explores a lot of the themes in depth. Especially the relationship between mass produced clones and droids for the service of a dumb war. The animation is absolutely gorgeous at times.

Rebels is okay through good with some stand-out great episodes and possibly the best lightsaber battle in the series (Obi Wan/Maul), with a bit of a rocky start.

Ahsoka is in both. There is no reason to not watch either of these.

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 16, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Did we watch the same Clone Wars? The one I saw was a standard kids cartoon with standard kids plotlines. I watched... half a season or so? Does it really ramp up or something?

lofi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 16, 2019

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I would agree that Clone Wars was pretty okay, but first season or two was really kids cartoon, and I think it would increase in quality a lot if it contained only episodes with Ahsoka (I don't remember it much, but I remember that all R2D2/C3PO and Jar-Jar centric episodes sucked, and whatever else was just pointless filler)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Did Vader canonically kill all the Jedi besides Kenobi and Yoda, or just the ones that didn’t go into hiding?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m so ready for Star Wars to be OVER forever in a few days.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just wish they did more interesting things with Star Wars. Droids and starships are cool as gently caress, and the Force could be explored in a more interesting manner. Dathomir was also a radical departure from the usual in Fallen Order and SW could do Warcraft-style schlock well, I think.

I personally just want a video game geared completely around starship battles and droids. Like Battlefront 2 but not poo poo.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

FlamingLiberal posted:

So Abrams asked Lucasfilm if there is any way for them to re-release the theatrical cuts of the OT in a newer format (their last release was a 1995 VHS), and he was told they can't, but was not given a reason.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/1...-hope-lucasfilm

At least we now have 4K77, 4K83, and soon to be 4K80.

Or if you want hilarious Lucas-esque edits, the Revisited edition is also out there :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veASKu0-okY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_MkDgRAXo4

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

halokiller posted:

At least we now have 4K77, 4K83, and soon to be 4K80.

Or if you want hilarious Lucas-esque edits, the Revisited edition is also out there :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veASKu0-okY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_MkDgRAXo4

The best part is when he put a little lightsaber on the interrogation droid's syringe, but I can't find it on youtube.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

commando in tophat posted:

How about not throwing in random characters that have no connection to the movies. I still don't know if the guy from start of force awakens was someone of importance from some lovely comic book or it was just a rando living in desert, having a map to luke for no reason

Max von sydow in that role is so inexplicable

Now that I think about it, bullshit mystery boxes are more of a TV thing aren't they. Are there any movies with original screenplays (not book/comic adaptations) where there's a bunch of weird poo poo like von sydow, the lightsaber vision, Rey's parents , snoke, etc all set up and then not dealt with by the end of the movie? It's weird how not stand alone it is

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Darko posted:

Clone Wars is pretty great and expands on the (good) plot basis the prequels have and explores a lot of the themes in depth. Especially the relationship between mass produced clones and droids for the service of a dumb war. The animation is absolutely gorgeous at times.

Rebels is okay through good with some stand-out great episodes and possibly the best lightsaber battle in the series (Obi Wan/Maul), with a bit of a rocky start.

Ahsoka is in both. There is no reason to not watch either of these.

There are lots of reasons not to watch those shows.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

lofi posted:

Did we watch the same Clone Wars? The one I saw was a standard kids cartoon with standard kids plotlines. I watched... half a season or so? Does it really ramp up or something?

It ramps up in S2/3 or so. It basically becomes 3-4 episode arcs that aren't necessarily in chronological order, and everything that is not about Jar Jar is pretty good (and I think Lucas was most involved in those, haha), especially clone focused episodes that showcase how bad the Star Wars actually are.

I personally don't really like the witch stuff, but it resulted in Maul becoming a good character at the end, so even that focus is fine in retrospect.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

pospysyl posted:

There are lots of reasons not to watch those shows.

Why don’t you post some instead of doing a drive by poo poo post.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Horizon Burning posted:

she's going to be a voice that speaks to rey in the final confrontation or something

The voices encouraging her are just Rob Schneider's "you can do it"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qztuEucrNBc

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mooey Cow posted:

I hope that scene plays out exactly like a "We believe in you!!" cutscene all RPGs have before the final boss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXQvMkamhQ

All the different lightsabers from all the different continuities come to help Rey defeat all the Death Star Star Destroyers.

There's precedent in other Disney owned properties.

EDIT: I know the joke's been made every time but reading the wikipedia plot summary for that game is like having a fever dream.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What the gently caress for a name is Sheev anyway? Is that another stupid Lucas-style word play? "Sheev" = german Schief = english Crooked?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's the star wars version of Steve, OP

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I want this star wars to end with the final scenes playing out on hans frozen Carbonite eye while it pans out from him still frozen to jabbas throne room but everyone is old. Old slave Leia, Luke's saber on display and a wookie pelt rug

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

What the gently caress for a name is Sheev anyway? Is that another stupid Lucas-style word play? "Sheev" = german Schief = english Crooked?

Wish Lucas had stuck with his original name, Cos Dashit

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's the star wars version of Steve, OP

It’s short for Sheeven.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

did 'sheev' even come from lucas or was it originally an EU thing?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Here's my understanding of the sheev issue.

IIRC the name is from the darth plagueis book ca 2012 that was basically about palpatine's backstory. For some bizarre reason the book was then explicitly re-canonized by disney, ensuring that sheev supremacy would go forward into the new era. As we all know there is no distinction whatsoever between EU and non-EU in the disney era, so it's now as good as word straight out of JJ's mouth that palpatine's first name is sheev

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

did 'sheev' even come from lucas or was it originally an EU thing?

Lucas supposedly came up with it for the unproduced live-action show from the mid-00's and it ended up disseminating into the EU stuff after that

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-backlash-is-inevitable-1840318952

I'm sure Grant said this from a reasonable position, but it's hard to see "Game of Thrones Syndrome" and not think this is blaming fans for having unreasonable expectations of consistent writing and a resolution to a story that doesn't get dropped like a bag of poo poo on a porch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OctoberCountry posted:

Wish Lucas had stuck with his original name, Cos Dashit
"He's called that cos he's da shi-"
"We get it, Crow."