Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I really appreciate that the Winged Lion is a goofus too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Laius is like a big dog, a bit clumsy, not always observant, but loyal to a fault and you just gotta love him.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The Winged Lion making its first appearance by dunking on Laius was :perfect:.

I love the multi-layered trap the succubus laid out for Laius. Of course Laius wouldn't react to fake-Marcille seducing him, it's the Giga Quad Head and being transformed into a monster that he really wants.

There's lots of interesting tidbits in this chapter. Like how even if the Canaries had managed to kill Thistle, the dungeon wouldn't disappear since it's the Winged Lion who summons the monsters. Kabru's goal of conquering the dungeon would also be impossible since his fear and hatred of monsters wouldn't get him chosen by the Winged Lion. Nemari being absent in the dream sequence is a little weird since Laius still considers her a friend, but I guess the focus was more on the dungeon's inhabitants and Laius' party.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Glad to see Marcille and her wife happy

:same:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Izutsumi has said that she's a girl who was cursed to turn into a cat monster, but given everything we've seen, I'm not so sure it wasn't the other way around.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Nipponophile posted:

Izutsumi has said that she's a girl who was cursed to turn into a cat monster, but given everything we've seen, I'm not so sure it wasn't the other way around.

Holy moley, now i’m expecting that to be her big reveal

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
She basically has two souls in her, right? Which is why she could resist the succubi. Girl with cat soul, cat with girl soul, what's the difference?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Kui Ryoko owns i trust you all are buying the english releases of this so she gets some well deserved $$$

I already am but I might buy em all again because drat this chapter was so good. So many little things in the background to screenshot and good visual and one line jokes like “...you didn’t even hesitate” from the lion when laius orders his omelette

The lion is amazing and had very interesting “i’m power with sentience and drat i miss food” goofy character bits that really sold it as something that would approach laius

This is also a very cool plot development and a neat way for the comic to go if it continues after the rescue of farelyn. Setting up society like that has been the topic of many isekais, i think Kui Ryoko would do a great job of making it interesting

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m real interested in seeing how they deal with the Canaries. Their skill set seems a little beyond what the party would be able to deal with. I’m sure it’ll end deliciously. Though I guess the same could be said about the Sorcerer or the Dragon and those turned out alright.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the winged lion is lion-ing about its intentions

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Relin posted:

I'm definitely expecting some kind of twist there. Given what we've seen of the surface, the fantasy the lion concocted for Laius seemed awfully optimistic, and Laius is naive and trusting enough to be taken advantage of by playing to his noble intentions. Plus, "I am... well, truth be told, I have neither a true name nor form. But many people call me the winged lion." That is suspicious as gently caress. That thing could be anybody.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

amigolupus posted:

The Winged Lion making its first appearance by dunking on Laius was :perfect:.

I love the multi-layered trap the succubus laid out for Laius. Of course Laius wouldn't react to fake-Marcille seducing him, it's the Giga Quad Head and being transformed into a monster that he really wants.

There's lots of interesting tidbits in this chapter. Like how even if the Canaries had managed to kill Thistle, the dungeon wouldn't disappear since it's the Winged Lion who summons the monsters. Kabru's goal of conquering the dungeon would also be impossible since his fear and hatred of monsters wouldn't get him chosen by the Winged Lion. Nemari being absent in the dream sequence is a little weird since Laius still considers her a friend, but I guess the focus was more on the dungeon's inhabitants and Laius' party.

:same:

I noticed that Fake Marcille's hair was let down and looked a little frizzy and drained. Matched up with Laius' version of shapeshifter Marcille, so it's interesting how Laius seems to remember her.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Randallteal posted:

I'm definitely expecting some kind of twist there. Given what we've seen of the surface, the fantasy the lion concocted for Laius seemed awfully optimistic, and Laius is naive and trusting enough to be taken advantage of by playing to his noble intentions. Plus, "I am... well, truth be told, I have neither a true name nor form. But many people call me the winged lion." That is suspicious as gently caress. That thing could be anybody.

I’m less sold on the name bit, it wouldn’t be less suspicious if it said it’s name was Jack O’Shaughnessy

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I mean it also more or less referred to itself as "Power" so it's likely some kind of primal force. Maybe the real reason the Canaries are here is to kill/control it and I dunno, make sure that elves control all dungeons forever.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Good rule of thumb: if someone shows you a tempting vision of future that will come to pass if you help them, don't trust that person/creature, ever. Winged Lion seems to be a bit of a doofus, but I will be genuinely surprised if freeing him from his prison ends up being a good idea.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I noticed that Fake Marcille's hair was let down and looked a little frizzy and drained. Matched up with Laius' version of shapeshifter Marcille, so it's interesting how Laius seems to remember her.

I think the reason Laius' version of Marcille is like this is because he's strongly linked it with Farlyn. I checked, and Marcille had her hair down back during their first meeting, as well as the time she resurrected Farlyn using the dragon. The latter definitely must have made a pretty big impression on Laius. I wouldn't be surprised if Kui Ryoko planned this well in advance.

Relin posted:

Randallteal posted:

Lt. Lizard posted:

Good rule of thumb: if someone shows you a tempting vision of future that will come to pass if you help them, don't trust that person/creature, ever. Winged Lion seems to be a bit of a doofus, but I will be genuinely surprised if freeing him from his prison ends up being a good idea.

Canaries alt-accounts spotted.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The lion is obviously good, because there’s no way Kensuke would ever betray the party.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Are we not counting the time ran away from the dragon while everyone was in a bind.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's hard not to be suspicious, considering the Winged Lion ticked off two boxes on the 'I'm not actually benevolent, I'm helping you to help me' twist bingo. I mean, 'imagine what it would be like' is one of the oldest aggressive sales tricks in the book. Also 'beware this entity that has lots of experience dealing with this stuff and also knows more than you do about what's actually going on' is hard to take at face value, even if Laius and co. already have good reasons to beware them.

In addition to Senshi's warning about how the dungeon works on their desires, don't forget Kabbru's experience with Utaya plus how he convinced the Canaries to go down there as a squad in the first place. They all but danced around the answer to one of the main groups questions from way back when: 'what does the dungeon eat?'

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The biggest blue balls in this series is that we don't get to see Marcille's reaction to the mention of the canaries and have to wait for next chapter, talk about a cliffhanger :(

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Izutsumi was perfectly utilized this chapter. Every time she showed up made me laugh.

HenryEx posted:

The biggest blue balls in this series is that we don't get to see Marcille's reaction to the mention of the canaries and have to wait for next chapter, talk about a cliffhanger :(

Oh yeah. Can't wait until February.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Phimose Knight posted:

Izutsumi was perfectly utilized this chapter. Every time she showed up made me laugh.
I especially liked the panel where it's showing the monster transformations and Izutsumi is...Izutsumi.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I just found this and bought the first two issues and I looooove it :swoon:

I've actually been working on a videogame based on the same concept. (I basically stole it from Breath of the wild + Toriko)

This reminds me of Toriko but I like the dungeon / party / slice of life focus over the battle-anime style of Toriko

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

I especially liked the panel where it's showing the monster transformations everyone's reactions to Lauis being into Marcielle and Izutsumi's is...Izutsumi.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 16, 2019

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Winged lion sets up inevitable betrayal of party, but Laius disobeys it's instructions and just eats it.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Elfface posted:

Winged lion sets up inevitable betrayal of party, but Laius disobeys it's instructions and just eats it.

To Serve Winged Lions.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
So as far as Laius is concerned, Izutsumi is already peak performance.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Elfface posted:

Eating the winged lion will grant Laius its abilities and make him the de facto king of the dungeon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not entirely sure if winged lion is as shady as he seems. he encouraged laius to continue what he was already doing, and at the end warned him about the dangerous mofos who will definitely try to stop him.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not entirely sure if winged lion is as shady as he seems. he encouraged laius to continue what he was already doing, and at the end warned him about the dangerous mofos who will definitely try to stop him.

also he even showed that it isn't going to be some grand utopia. I believe in winged lion.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Winged Lion wanted to eat something tasty after watching the party eating and enjoying food for a while. That, in itself, made me trust him.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Since there's no new chapter until February, The Dragon, the Hero, and the Courier might fill the void a bit.

It's a fantasy manga where the main character is a letter courier. It's more about the society and economy of a fantasy world than a quest for power. Also, there's a throwaway joke about a character in bikini armor getting thrown in jail for public indecency, so that's a plus.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth
idk how much crossover there is between here and the tabletop gaming crowd, but someone made a dungeon meshi homebrew game based on an osr-type system and it looks pretty rad

http://riseupcomus.blogspot.com/2020/02/glog-rat-kebab-edition.html

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

noether posted:

idk how much crossover there is between here and the tabletop gaming crowd, but someone made a dungeon meshi homebrew game based on an osr-type system and it looks pretty rad

http://riseupcomus.blogspot.com/2020/02/glog-rat-kebab-edition.html

Dang, you should definitely post this in the FATAL and friends thread, if you haven't already. This kind of makes me want to play a swords and sorcery genre game for the first time in, like, a decade.

noether
May 1, 2017

EimiYoshikawa posted:

This kind of makes me want to play a swords and sorcery genre game for the first time in, like, a decade.

for real! I've been getting super burnt out with d&d 5e lately, but this system seems like it'd be a lot of fun to play/run

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

noether posted:

for real! I've been getting super burnt out with d&d 5e lately, but this system seems like it'd be a lot of fun to play/run

D&D is not a fun system.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
don't play d&d 5e it was made by bad people and there are better systems out there so its double not worth playing

noether
May 1, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

D&D is not a fun system.

Snooze Cruise posted:

don't play d&d 5e it was made by bad people and there are better systems out there so its double not worth playing

d&d sucks, but convincing people to experiment with other systems is like pulling teeth @_@

it's possible the group I usually play with might just be particularly stubborn about that though.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
d&d is fine

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

5e is a really shallow system but for casual stuff it's pretty okay. Even if I can readily admit its handled by really terrible people.
I mean you could suggest 4e and then see how fast people recoil at the mere mention of a D&D system that dared change things. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Can I interest you in a wholesome round of Sword World RPG 2.5?
The kobolds there are of the Canine variety and their default look is bipedal Corgies.