Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

nessin posted:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-backlash-is-inevitable-1840318952

I'm sure Grant said this from a reasonable position, but it's hard to see "Game of Thrones Syndrome" and not think this is blaming fans for having unreasonable expectations of consistent writing and a resolution to a story that doesn't get dropped like a bag of poo poo on a porch.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Combat Pretzel posted:

What the gently caress for a name is Sheev anyway? Is that another stupid Lucas-style word play? "Sheev" = german Schief = english Crooked?

It's probably based on Shiva, since a bunch of other characters have Sanskrit-derived names, including fellow Naboo Padmé.

Doesn't stop it from sounding stupid.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Ahsoka seems like a cool character from what I've seen of the cartoon shows but if they were gonna shoehorn her it they should've done it in TFA. As it is now she's just kind of floating around out in space somewhere but not doing anything?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

I think there is a pretty vast divide between say a disappointed fan and "kind of forgot about" on the range of fan expectations, and a perfectly reasonable expectation of some sort line there where criticism can exist without being a fault of just disappointment. I take Grant's statement to mean he doesn't think that line exists.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I take his statement to mean that somehow he can't anticipate things he also says are inevitable, and therefore he should go in the old folk's home

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mat Cauthon posted:

Ahsoka seems like a cool character from what I've seen of the cartoon shows but if they were gonna shoehorn her it they should've done it in TFA. As it is now she's just kind of floating around out in space somewhere but not doing anything?

Now that a second season of The Mandalorian is happening, since that's a little closer after Return of the Jedi I wonder if they'll try to have characters like her, Saul Gerrera, etc. pop up in it. I kind of hope not since so far that show's basically perfectly balanced having lots of past stuff mentioned in it while adding new stuff.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Neo Rasa posted:

Saul Gerrera

Now I'm just picturing a cross between Forrest Whitaker and Carl Reiner.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

thrawn527 posted:

Now I'm just picturing a cross between Forrest Whitaker and Carl Reiner.

I still laugh that for Rogue One they got Ghost Dog himself to play what by that time is basically the rebel equivalent of Darth Vader and then put him in the movie for like five seconds.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

commando in tophat posted:

How about not throwing in random characters that have no connection to the movies. I still don't know if the guy from start of force awakens was someone of importance from some lovely comic book or it was just a rando living in desert, having a map to luke for no reason

luke maps on lovely desert planets are like star maps in hollywood, there's always vendors selling em

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

I still laugh that for Rogue One they got Ghost Dog himself to play what by that time is basically the rebel equivalent of Darth Vader and then put him in the movie for like five seconds.

His role was larger in original script where Jin is a hardened terrorist who is actively part of Saw's crew. Tony Gilroy's reshoots really made all of that stuff ancillary at best.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/12/15/has-disneys-star-wars-acquisition-been-a-failure.aspx

quote:

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge can still be turned into a success story, but much like the film franchise, there are reasons to be disappointed with the execution. The Galaxy's Edge experience primarily centers around characters and locations from the new sequel trilogy -- a move that hindsight may cast as a mistake. It makes sense that Disney would want to create synergies with its newer movies, but the company had a wealth of beloved characters and locales from earlier films to draw on. Its chosen approach looks more suspect in light of signs that interest in the sequel trilogy's world and characters has diminished.

Lol they bet the farm on this. Where's the Phasma ride where you fall into a burning trash compactor?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

inb4 they make a story where Luke, Han and Leia all went there during the OT period so they can have them walking around

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That's hilarious

Ok should our desert world part of the theme park have: seedy bar, cool palace, pleasure skiff, sandworm thing, maybe some jabbering aliens with cool sounds and looks and a big robot vehicle? Oh yeah don't forget pod racing!!

Or: uh... Some junk? A crashed ship I guess??

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I mean, it’s a Disney theme park. It needs to appeal to children first and foremost, and kids want to see the most current things.

A smarter move might have been to just generally make it a Star Wars land mixing PT/OT/ST but given that they wanted to make it an immersive Harry Potter type thing I can’t fault them for making it the ST.

I think a more likely culprit of its failure so far is they chose to launch with a single attraction that doesn’t involve spending even more money.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mat Cauthon posted:

she should've taken maz's place

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

she should've taken maz's place

Man this would've been great and a much better use of Lupita.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Blast Fantasto posted:

I mean, it’s a Disney theme park. It needs to appeal to children first and foremost, and kids want to see the most current things.

A smarter move might have been to just generally make it a Star Wars land mixing PT/OT/ST but given that they wanted to make it an immersive Harry Potter type thing I can’t fault them for making it the ST.

I think a more likely culprit of its failure so far is they chose to launch with a single attraction that doesn’t involve spending even more money.

I'm pretty sure the people in charge of the parks and the people designing and making the attractions had zero contact and influence on the actual movies which however is a huge part in drawing people in.

"Hey we're going to be investing millions of dollars and development time on this ride, please make a good movie KK? ^_^"

"Of course it will be good, its the Star War :thumbsup:"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

That's hilarious

Ok should our desert world part of the theme park have: seedy bar, cool palace, pleasure skiff, sandworm thing, maybe some jabbering aliens with cool sounds and looks and a big robot vehicle? Oh yeah don't forget pod racing!!

Okay, but an arcade where you can actually play Episode One Racer and have it streaming on giant screens for the Cantina patrons to watch would be dope

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It would be tough to replace maz with ahsoka, unless her murderous hatred of workers was previously established in the cartoons

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Maz isn't in this next movie right? Just a complete nonsense character spouting prophecies that has been forgotten about?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

Maz isn't in this next movie right? Just a complete nonsense character spouting prophecies that has been forgotten about?

LOL

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

mastershakeman posted:

Didn't the spoilers say she shows up at the end? Or was that the bullshit 4chan leak? It's hard to keep all this poo poo straight but she definitely pops up in one of them and gives Chewie a medal.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

It would be tough to replace maz with ahsoka, unless her murderous hatred of workers was previously established in the cartoons

i was mostly thinking of TFA maz, i don't think that weird throwaway attempt at a gag would happen in a TLJ where ahsoka took maz's place because unlike maz ahsoka actually has a character and personality to keep track of

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What about phasma :thunk:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Darko posted:

It ramps up in S2/3 or so. It basically becomes 3-4 episode arcs that aren't necessarily in chronological order, and everything that is not about Jar Jar is pretty good (and I think Lucas was most involved in those, haha), especially clone focused episodes that showcase how bad the Star Wars actually are.

I personally don't really like the witch stuff, but it resulted in Maul becoming a good character at the end, so even that focus is fine in retrospect.

From the way I understood it, Lucas was kind of hands off in the early seasons, other than an occasional "I'd like to see this type of ep", but became more and more hands on and involved as the series went on.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
game of throne syndrome is code for we made a piece of poo poo and people called it?

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 16, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Did they blame GoT hate on trolls too?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

What about phasma :thunk:

She shows up in the beginning to tell Kylo she survived before Kylo disintegrates her and continues on with his day.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1206682512153399296?s=20

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

reading that article gave me the realization that Disney Star Wars is like that band you love that has a new album coming out and you go to see them in concert and everybody wants to hear the stuff they know and love but the frontman insists on a whole setlist from their new album and only plays like one classic and only a half hearted acoustic version at that and everybody goes home mildly disgruntled

then the album comes out and it loving bombs because it sucks and the band is super bent out of shape about it and doubles down on it in Rolling Stone interviews and starts angrily subtweeting pitchfork bloggers or whatever

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lol someone tell him its been spoiled already.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Did they blame GoT hate on trolls too?

that’s the line from the neolib Respect The Creator type media people online yeah. haters are just trolls who are mad the ending was Too Subversive and didn’t fit their mental fanfiction expectations

or they’re toxic white males who can’t handle a strong female leader in the North and a homely and physically weak but brilliant God-King in the south

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

mastershakeman posted:

That's hilarious

First off, the theme park doesn't take place on a desert world. Also, it has a seedy bar. And plenty of cool jabbering aliens.

Look, living in Orlando and having an annual pass to Disney World (I have a three year old, what of it), Galaxy's Edge is a huge success. Hollywood Studios, where it's located, used to be their most ignored park. Now it constantly has long lines to get in. Whenever Rey shows up in Galaxy's Edge, the world comes to a stand still. She'll do this thing where she picks a kid and runs around the land hiding from Stormtroopers. She did it with my daughter a couple months ago, and she still talks about it, and has us reenact hiding from Stormtroopers in our house. I've never seen the Falcon ride Smuggler's Run have a line less than 90 minutes long, and usually it's longer than that. (Though I haven't been since Rise of the Resistance opened. I plan to next week.)

And lol at someone who commented earlier about not knowing how to make more money off of it. There are so many ways to spend money in there, from drinks, to merchandise, to droids and/or lightsabers.

Star Wars is doing just fine. And these think pieces about how Galaxy's Edge isn't drawing in crowds don't match up at all to my (admittedly anecdotal) evidence. That place is constantly packed.

Davros1 posted:

From the way I understood it, Lucas was kind of hands off in the early seasons, other than an occasional "I'd like to see this type of ep", but became more and more hands on and involved as the series went on.

Lucas would occasionally come in and tell them what he wanted an episode to be about (like the Father, Son, and Daughter Arc, or how he told them to package 3 episodes together as that movie, which the production crew was totally not prepared for), but other than that he was largely hands off, as he trusted Filoni.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Isn’t there one Galaxy’s Edge in CA and one in FL?

That street performance sounds cool as poo poo, though. I’d go more often if the parks leaned more heavily into making it feel like a lived-in world than just an overgrown merch booth, that’s one of the reasons I got really sick of Disney growing up.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 16, 2019

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

And lol at someone who commented earlier about not knowing how to make more money off of it. There are so many ways to spend money in there, from drinks, to merchandise, to droids and/or lightsabers.

Star Wars is doing just fine. And these think pieces about how Galaxy's Edge isn't drawing in crowds don't match up at all to my (admittedly anecdotal) evidence. That place is constantly packed

quote:

I've never seen the Falcon ride Smuggler's Run have a line less than 90 minutes long, and usually it's longer than that. (Though I haven't been since Rise of the Resistance opened. I plan to next week.)

given that disney world is never not packed im not sure how valuable anecdotal experience is here. disney’s park data hasn’t been the most reliable predicator of film franchise success when the equation has been reversed

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Mandrel posted:

reading that article gave me the realization that Disney Star Wars is like that band you love that has a new album coming out and you go to see them in concert and everybody wants to hear the stuff they know and love but the frontman insists on a whole setlist from their new album and only plays like one classic and only a half hearted acoustic version at that and everybody goes home mildly disgruntled

then the album comes out and it loving bombs because it sucks and the band is super bent out of shape about it and doubles down on it in Rolling Stone interviews and starts angrily subtweeting pitchfork bloggers or whatever

Oh no my Ben Folds PTSD is flaring up.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Okay, but an arcade where you can actually play Episode One Racer and have it streaming on giant screens for the Cantina patrons to watch would be dope

oh poo poo...

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mandrel posted:

And the music has changed, you had some connection to the old music, it had hit something inside of you like no other band has.
The new music is made for elevators and corporate phone holding queues.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Vinylshadow posted:

Get this:

VR Pod Pod Racing

Do it, Disney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I honestly feel bad for Mark the most, since he was clearly not happy with how they handled Luke in TLJ but has had to kind of tone it down for the fans