Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

it would be a lot cooler if it were a combination thermometer/hygrometer that only pops up an ice warning when the dew point is below the ambient temperature and the temperature is below zero.

I wonder if motorcycles ever develop carb ice

Every JDM bike I've seen has had some form of anti-icing measure, usually by running coolant through a little passage cast into the float bowls, sometimes by using little thermo plug things in the bowl that heat up from a 12v ignition on signal passed through a tiny temp sender also screwed into the bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Yep, the early KTM lc8s are prone to it. They retrofited electric heaters to the carbs in 04-05 iirc.

When they ice over, sitting parked for a minute or so will warm them over enough to de-ice.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

2017 Honda Africa Twin!

Got it “used” with 12 miles for a good price. Manual transmission.

Enjoying it so far- up to 500mi commuting mostly now. Stock tires are not happy in Seattle cold/wet. They feel slippery and the TC engages sort of randomly, and road paint can make the bike slip a bit.

Need to get some crash bars and hard luggage, and something to adjust the windscreen. Looking at outback mototrek and altrider for the bars, and probably bumot luggage. There’s some German guy who makes a well reviewed windscreen adjuster.

Will be excited for some different shoes next year and to start getting it dirty.

What’s the go to ADV tire 21/18 setup these days that has good wet pavement/commuting performance, and will let me play on fire roads?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

2017 Honda Africa Twin!

Enjoying it so far- up to 500mi commuting mostly now. Stock tires are not happy in Seattle cold/wet. They feel slippery and the TC engages sort of randomly, and road paint can make the bike slip a bit.

Need to get some crash bars and hard luggage, and something to adjust the windscreen. Looking at outback mototrek and altrider for the bars, and probably bumot luggage. There’s some German guy who makes a well reviewed windscreen adjuster.

Will be excited for some different shoes next year and to start getting it dirty.

What’s the go to ADV tire 21/18 setup these days that has good wet pavement/commuting performance, and will let me play on fire roads?

Shinko 705 is decent for that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

i was about to say the 705 was the most cyberpunk tire but then i just discovered the heidenau k60 and now im not so sure

---
content might as well post my drz on 705's i love it like a child already

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Heidenau K60 /K60 Scouts, mitas e-07+, Metzeler Karoo 3, Michelin Anakee Wild/adventure, Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR.

These are all newish designed blocky tires that still have good street grip. Some are also available in m+s rating with usually higher silica content for better wet/cold grip.

Continental TKC 80 is also okay, but it's not that current any more.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Supradog posted:

Heidenau K60 /K60 Scouts, mitas e-07+, Metzeler Karoo 3, Michelin Anakee Wild/adventure, Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR.

These are all newish designed blocky tires that still have good street grip. Some are also available in m+s rating with usually higher silica content for better wet/cold grip.

Continental TKC 80 is also okay, but it's not that current any more.

If you’re cheap, TKC80s are the tires that come on all the new KTM street legal dirt bikes (350/450/500) and everyone immediately takes them off so you can probably get them second hand for a lot cheaper on ThumperTalk or advrider.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

2017 Honda Africa Twin!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

this is the correct answer if you want something that works in the twisties and on gravel. I ran my front for ~10k mi and my rear for ~8.5k iic on my 1290 SAR

heidenaus Suck rear end in the rain as do karoos. e07s will wear far quicker than a 705 will and will cost you far more

get the shinkos; they're cheap and very good. I'm currently commuting on them in the rain (and ice occasionally) here in nashville, but did ~13k mi up in OR / WA and banff. they're the best compromise for "doing everything"

also for crash bars, get the altrider ones. everything i've read has them as being the go to ones for actually protecting the bike

also also, congrats :D

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

content might as well post my drz on 705's i love it like a child already

That's the second time i've seen this pic and it still kills me how you can almost but not quite see Casa Bonita.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ulf posted:

That's the second time i've seen this pic and it still kills me how you can almost but not quite see Casa Bonita.

Oh holy poo poo you're right! I thought I recognized that parking lot.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It's because the strip mall is just dripping in west colfax.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ulf posted:

It's because the strip mall is just dripping in west colfax.

u got a thrift store, a dollar store, casa bonita, arbys and a bk. peak west side

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

right arm posted:

Shinkos, altrider

also also, congrats :D

Shinko 805 and 705s have been recommended lots. Price looks good. I’ll look into them.

Takeoff TKC80s seem cheap and somewhat available too- not knobby enough for KTM guys!

Altrider is here in Seattle- will have to go visit them in person and see what it looks like.

Holler if/when you get back up to the PNW!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shinko 805 and 705s have been recommended lots. Price looks good. I’ll look into them.

Takeoff TKC80s seem cheap and somewhat available too- not knobby enough for KTM guys!

Altrider is here in Seattle- will have to go visit them in person and see what it looks like.

yeah the 805s are good. like cheap kenda big blocks with worse lateral traction due to their knobby arrangement if that makes sense, but really every tire is a compromise somewhere

my SAR came with TKC80s on it and everything I did on them I still do on 705s. they're just a very very good tire. I liked the TKC80s a lot, but I killed my rear in about the first 1000mi. if you're sticking to gravel and dirt (not mud) you'll do wonderfully on 705s. I rode up at timothy lake in the snow and mud with the 705s and they were okay, but no 500lb is going to be fun to ride in the mud or snow no matter what tire you use

also, you should go down to mosko moto in white salmon if you ever want to take a look at the absolute best soft bags for the adventure crowd. I've got a bit of their poo poo and it is incredibly well thought out. the folks that work their are fantastic people too :D

Holler if/when you get back up to the PNW!

will do! my buddy has an ATAS like yours (2016 though if i remember) so you guys can make me look like the oddball :D

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

it would be a lot cooler if it were a combination thermometer/hygrometer that only pops up an ice warning when the dew point is below the ambient temperature and the temperature is below zero.

Slavvy already mentioned about jdm bikes but I found out when learning about the Rex that it got either vacuum operated EGR or carb heater coolant circuits depending on where it was sold, but never both

Mine hasn't iced up yet but its quite possible I haven't had it out in cold/humid enough weather

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
went downtown this afternoon

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1208518367860015104

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny you’re gonna make me buy a 3rd drz

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sweet lens flair

Is your avatar an AK47 rubber band gun?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
rubber band paper bullet shooting MP5 (not mine just liked it)

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Nice motorcycle

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

No. 6 posted:

Nice motorcycle

We do it with two - Nice motorcycle

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

2017 Honda Africa Twin!

motoz tractionator was my dad's tire of choice for his africa twin

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Isolationist and I went for another ride. Fun was had. This was prior to the state burning down.
Also, I got my rims painted or some poo poo (boring black before)

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

I went out yesterday and bought a leftover 2018 Honda CB1000R. My first new vehicle, 0 miles too.

I have to wait to get a certificate of origin in the mail before I can go to the DMV and get it titled and tagged but I've been zooming it around the parking lot at work.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:swoon:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ll say it. I love the way the rear-mount fender looks on those bikes.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The Neo Cafe stuff is hot as hell

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, that is a fine looking machine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I went out yesterday and bought a leftover 2018 Honda CB1000R. My first new vehicle, 0 miles too.

I have to wait to get a certificate of origin in the mail before I can go to the DMV and get it titled and tagged but I've been zooming it around the parking lot at work.

Very cool bike. Nice work!!!

But, is the headlight installed cockeyed in the housing? Or is that a trick of perspective?

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Very cool bike. Nice work!!!

But, is the headlight installed cockeyed in the housing? Or is that a trick of perspective?

Thanks!

you made me go out and look lol, the headlight is perfectly straight in real life, maybe the fact the handlebars are turned a little bit is messing with you?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Now that I look again it’s a perspective thing. The bars are turned more than they look in the picture

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Mount Ham looked nice last november.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

woah that front looks p sick

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

CB1000R is a fantastic looking machine.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Beautiful. Congrats!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Getting all my terrible decisions out of the way early for 2020

First on the to do list is frame sliders, then short clutch and brake levers, then tail tuck, THEN

sitting quietly wondering where all my money went :negative:

I'm kinda scared of it, even from indoors I can feel it sitting, waiting. It hasn't left low power mode yet and probably won't for a while, only got to put about 60 miles on it so far

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
We all love Ninjas in here.

God drat that's a cliff on the fuel talk profile towards the seat, though. How's the crotch doin there?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I'm pretty used to the cock and ball torture that comes standard with sportbikery by now, my ZX-6R was about the same way, a little more gently tapered maybe :v: The tank on this one is noticeably more precipitous but the part that fondles my junk is not as bad as the angle makes it look. They really did add some mean edges the design for the recent year models, but they're mostly in the front!

I'll have to get some more pictures when I get it out on a nice sunny day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those reservoir forks are just unbearably rad, congrats on your secretly-the-best-literbike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

We all love Ninjas in here.

God drat that's a cliff on the fuel talk profile towards the seat, though. How's the crotch doin there?

I find that kind of tank profile less ball-crushing than a more tapered one - it makes it easier to grip the tank so you're less likely to slide forwards, and also the top of the tank hits your stomach if you do, rather than providing a nice gradual vice between tank and pelvis.