Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Can you tell me what a Hillary Man is?

The Hillary Man is the creature for whom the apotheosis of all political progress is the election of a rich, white, conservative woman as the competent manager of the American Empire's steady decline. This view is so foundational that all concerns about social or economic justice are subsumed into the principle of loyalty to Her. Doubt or dissent are proof positive of the worst kind of bigotry, or else of subversion by a terrifying Other.

When Hillary fails, it's not because of her own mistakes or because of any flaws in her ideology. Instead, it is a sign that the common people were ungrateful and insufficiently devoted, and simultaneously that she has been cheated by outside agents who poisoned the people against her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Vim Fuego posted:

Hang on, they ride horses on the OUTSIDE of a spaceship?

Yes. They ride horses on a spaceship that can’t tell which way is “up” without a beacon. Never mind that they can see the ground below them. And that they just need to keep floating up in the same direction.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Can you tell me what a Hillary Man is?

Aren't those the bad guys from Battle Tendency?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Most of the positive posts for TROS on twitter are super generic. “Great sendoff”, “end of the saga”, “fans will love it”, “thanks Abrams”, just saying nothing at all.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Pollyanna posted:

The reality is that there’s going to be a lot of people for whom TROS is one of the best Star Wars movies of all time, because it’s bombastic, because it ends the Skywalker saga, and because it plays to emotional and nostalgic heartstrings. That’s enough for most viewers to lose their poo poo over it.

But did people really want the Skywalker saga to end with ever single member of the bloodline dead?

Edit: The Skywalker saga wasn't so much ended as it was forcibly exterminated.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 19, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
personally I'll wait for the RLM commentary track and just listen to that instead of watching the movie

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Bogus Adventure posted:

I just want JJ to stop getting opportunities to poo poo on things I liked as a child. Thank God there's no chance that he directs a Thundercats movie.

Star Trek 09 is still close on my favourite space opera movie of all time, but then I'm saying that as someone who doesn't like Star Trek.

Tato posted:

Don't see why Rey's parentage couldn't involve the Emperor AND have them also be alcoholics who sold her for money.

The Secret Palpatine thing was so bad, having her parents at least not be heroes would have been better but nothing could have salvaged that lovely idea. Even if for some dumb reason they couldn't just have her be a normal person that was kind-hearted and good at the force they've already established immaculate conception as a thing, just have her be another force baby like Anakin was.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’ve thought about it some more and I think the movie just started snowballing downhill when Finn and his new friend went after Rey on Endor. I don’t really remember too much from before that point but I remember after that point I just wanted it to end.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker is not the worst movie in the series, but it is the least imaginative.

Episode VII was criticised for being too much of a retread of a New Hope, while episode VIII drew ire for the opposite reason, apparently 'subverting' too many expectations. But I really enjoyed both of those movies. The character writing was strong, the action sequences were memorable, and there was always excitement for what will happen next.

Despite being overlong and dull, Episode IX feels less like a movie and more like a desperate plea for Star Wars fans to not riot.

Most of the dialogue is excessive plot exposition or otherwise repetitive platitudes or speeches where the characters almost seem self aware they're in a film being marketed as the "last" one. The heart isn't there, and it's mostly humourless, with a few exceptions that mostly recall better films in the series.

I say all of this as someone who had a blast watching both of the previous films of this sequel trilogy, one of which was also by JJ (and rewatched every film in the lead up to this release). If I didn't like this movie, I don't know who will.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Every single Leia scene is creepy as gently caress. It's hilariously obvious she was long dead before any of those actors interacted with her.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
just got home from the cinema and already forgot most of what I saw tbh, though i enjoyed seeing keri russell. wasn't aware of her inclusion beforehand

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I watched the film. I enjoyed it. It was very stupid and therefore good.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Duckula posted:

Every single Leia scene is creepy as gently caress. It's hilariously obvious she was long dead before any of those actors interacted with her.

Yea she stands in place from what was clearly one deleted scene. It's like a Leia chatbot

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Zoran posted:

The Hillary Man is the creature for whom the apotheosis of all political progress is the election of a rich, white, conservative woman as the competent manager of the American Empire's steady decline. This view is so foundational that all concerns about social or economic justice are subsumed into the principle of loyalty to Her. Doubt or dissent are proof positive of the worst kind of bigotry, or else of subversion by a terrifying Other.

When Hillary fails, it's not because of her own mistakes or because of any flaws in her ideology. Instead, it is a sign that the common people were ungrateful and insufficiently devoted, and simultaneously that she has been cheated by outside agents who poisoned the people against her.

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

He's right.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There’s a decent read here considering Johnson’s extremely online twitter and the politics of Knives Out. Lots of Holdos criticisms at Poe are word for word #stillwithher stuff directed at Bernie Bros in November 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Red Letter Media is loving garbage and you can see how dead they are. Their tear on Captain Marvel as they appealed to the chudverse sealed the deal.

I say this as someone who enjoyed their SW tear down.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
La times did a giant writeup about how Rey and other women don't talk enough and how Rey spends most of her time being talked to by men

Anyways rhe only good parts of their thousands of hours of work is that 3p0 talked the most of anyone in return of the Jedi and will probably end up talkjng the most of any character, also Rey and poe didn't talk til last Jedi, had 7 total words, and 1 of Rey's 2 words to Poe is "hi"

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5lcmryG2RA

Apparently Lucas 'never' wrote any treatments for 7/8/9. I wonder what he has to say about that. Especially in the wake of RotS.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

weekly font posted:

There’s a decent read here considering Johnson’s extremely online twitter and the politics of Knives Out. Lots of Holdos criticisms at Poe are word for word #stillwithher stuff directed at Bernie Bros in November 2016

Yeah, Johnson directly replying to his Twitter mentions through TLJ was very obvious and very bad.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rian is high on the list of people who could only benefit from logging off of twitter. Even pablo learned this lesson and that says a lot

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

weekly font posted:

This would explain why that whole arc has no relation to the kind of character Poe was in the first movie. I mean he wasn't much more than a generic archetype fighter jock fun guy... but he wasn't weirdly hostile to female authority figures out of nowhere and his reaction to every situation wasn't :black101: :siren: LEEROY JENKINS :siren: :black101: either.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I have a bad feeling about this

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Red Letter Media is loving garbage and you can see how dead they are. Their tear on Captain Marvel as they appealed to the chudverse sealed the deal.

They would be OK if their fans weren't so insufferable and didn't take all their opinions as gospel

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Vintersorg posted:

They always straddled that line, but it was inevitable as Star Wars became part of the culture wars and they were best known as those Star Wars guys. Granted I don't think I actually watched their Marvel review to know. Their pure strain hatred of the 2016 Ghostbusters was in that category of yes the movie was awful but...

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Dishwasher posted:

"Palpatine shows up alive with like a thousand Star Destroyers. Armed with loving Death Star Lasers! And everyone loving fights that poo poo out in open space." is right out of a 9 year old's very first fan fiction SW sequel and it's glorious. That's why people (myself included) were taken aback. These movies were never designed to be Very Serious Business to begin with. Except to the stockholders, of course.

At the start of the movie, we see First Order TIE's with Hyperdrives FOLLOW THE FALCON INTO HYPERSPACE and go to MULTIPLE planets IN ATMOSPHERE. So the Falcon is no longer the fastest ship in the galaxy AND every TIE fighter now has the tracking system that you needed a SD for from the last movie AND you can now jump into planet's atmosphere's without any issue....so you no longer need to conduct space battles...in space.

They don't fight in open space in the big battle at the end. They fight under a dark cloud layer in atmosphere. We don't see any capital ship combat - the rest of the galaxy shows up WAY up off in the distance and then Palp's dies (when trying to kill our hero who he has just said he want's to die to, to be able to live in a new body) and then SD's fall down. Including every other one owned by the First Order in the rest of the galaxy (Endor and Jakku. Why is there an SD at Endor?!!?). The Death Star lasers arn't used in the battle. The rebel's have a 1 (single) Corvette that disappears (I don't think you see it in the battle after they arrive) and somehow survives fighting 1000's SD's.

I was happy to see JJ's friend get killed in his Xwing, so that was nice. I think all of JJ's pilots except Poe get killed, so that was a good thing to see.

Our hero's land goat Calvary on a SD (the trailer shot) and then get off the goats and attack on foot. We don't see the goats again. Why the 1000 ship SD fleet allowed the transport to land on their command ship is not explained either.

I *think* you see Wedge for 2 seconds in the Falcon's gun turret. Not flying a fighter, which he is famous for.

Poe conducts the entire battle with a broken arm and is in no way impacted by it. He shows up in the end with it in a sling (he got shot by a blaster 2 hours earlier without having any impact). I'd forgotten he'd been shot (in the same place Leia has been in ROTJ) until I saw his arm in the sling in the celebration at the end.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 19, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shaocaholica posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5lcmryG2RA

Apparently Lucas 'never' wrote any treatments for 7/8/9. I wonder what he has to say about that. Especially in the wake of RotS.

Iger says in his autobiography that Lucas did, that Iger bought them, and Lucas was upset they went unused

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SolarFire2 posted:

But did people really want the Skywalker saga to end with ever single member of the bloodline dead?

Edit: The Skywalker saga wasn't so much ended as it was forcibly exterminated.

They don’t care, though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Red Letter Media peaked with their prequel videos. Take that however you want.

Half in the Bag is just a shitass unfunny review show that veers into :stare: at times.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Does the Falcon make it? Does R2-D2 or BB-8 fix the computer where Lando can talk to his robot lover again?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Comstar posted:

The Death Star lasers arn't used in the battle.

This is infuriating.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Comstar posted:

At the start of the movie, we see First Order TIE's with Hyperdrives FOLLOW THE FALCON INTO HYPERSPACE and go to MULTIPLE planets IN ATMOSPHERE. So the Falcon is no longer the fastest ship in the galaxy AND every TIE fighter now has the tracking system that you needed a SD for from the last movie AND you can now jump into planet's atmosphere's without any issue....so you no longer need to conduct space battles...in space.

They don't fight in open space in the big battle at the end. They fight under a dark cloud layer in atmosphere. We don't see any capital ship combat - the rest of the galaxy shows up WAY up off in the distance and then Palp's dies (when trying to kill our hero who he has just said he want's to die to, to be able to live in a new body) and then SD's fall down. Including every other one owned by the First Order in the rest of the galaxy (Endor and Jakku. Why is there an SD at Endor?!!?). The Death Star lasers arn't used in the battle. The rebel's have a 1 (single) Corvette that disappears (I don't think you see it in the battle after they arrive) and somehow survives fighting 1000's SD's.

I was happy to see JJ's friend get killed in his Xwing, so that was nice. I think all of JJ's pilots except Poe get killed, so that was a good thing to see.

Our hero's land goat Calvary on a SD (the trailer shot) and then get off the goats and attack on foot. We don't see the goats again. Why the 1000 ship SD fleet allowed the transport to land on their command ship is not explained either.

I *think* you see Wedge for 2 seconds in the Falcon's gun turret. Not flying a fighter, which he is famous for.

Poe conducts the entire battle with a broken arm and is in no way impacted by it. He shows up in the end with it in a sling (he got shot by a blaster 2 hours earlier without having any impact).
I'm going to insist to my grave that only final order ships above jakku/endor crashed and the first order remains supreme

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The first order, off camera still ruling the rest of the galaxy, says thanks for dealing with that palpatine thing before polishing off the depleted rebels and completing nazi rule

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vintersorg posted:

Is there something awful I need to know about RLM?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

General Dog posted:

Does the Falcon make it? Does R2-D2 or BB-8 fix the computer where Lando can talk to his robot lover again?

Of course the falcon made it otherwise they’d have no toys to sell. No idea about the Lando question.

Comstar posted:

Poe conducts the entire battle with a broken arm and is in no way impacted by it. He shows up in the end with it in a sling (he got shot by a blaster 2 hours earlier without having any impact). I'd forgotten he'd been shot (in the same place Leia has been in ROTJ) until I saw his arm in the sling in the celebration at the end.

I wanna point out again how dumb the fleet was. We know these ships take off from planets by just floating up in the direction opposite to the ground. Yet for whatever reason these advanced star destroyers cant do that without an antenna on the ground telling them which way to float up. The entire time the ground is still visible to them.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

RLM is based in Wisconsin so hatred and misery are the only things they've ever felt.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

kidkissinger posted:

Yeah, Johnson directly replying to his Twitter mentions through TLJ was very obvious and very bad.

This is probably one case where lacking additional context helps me enjoy the movie more. All I know of what Johnson has said about the movie is "making something divisive is cooler to me than making something everyone equally thinks is kind of ok"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Comstar posted:

...so they go from aping all the old tech and designs of the Empire/ Rebellion, to in this last movie having tech beyond anything those groups could have produced in the time skip? And every SD just has a Death Star laser now?

:lol:

Abrams you complete loving HACK succlord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RLM is exclusively midwestern centrist white dudes and unfortunately they soak in their share of that milieu and throw out eg a terrible triggered joke every month or two. Depending on your tolerance for that I can't really blame anyone for not wanting to partake, though I think calling them chuds or even chud sympathizers is an overstatement