Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gawyn rhymes with Dwayne, a name I literally can't help but associate with dumb redneck jocks thanks to growing up in rural Oklahoma. It helps me remember that Gawyn is also a dumb jock.

I'm sure that's unfair to some Dwaynes, and I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How does Gawyn rhyme with Dwayne

I mean I know it's related to Gawain but it seems closer to Gavin (which is also the same name but rhymes across historical cognates are weird)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

D-Wayne

I've heard it said like that occasionally

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I can never keep Merilille and Myrelle straight.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I always get Siuan and Sievert confused

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

D-Wayne

I've heard it said like that occasionally

Yeah but that's not how the "wyn" in Gawyn would be pronounced

Is it?

Am I going crazy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

VikingofRock posted:

I always get Moiraine, Morin, Moridin, Mierin, Mori, Marin, Mirin, Murin, Moriairin, Mruaruirn, Miririrn, M

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Galad = goody good that turns out to actually be good

Gawyn = supposedly good but a moran

Galahad was the super good guy in Arthurian legend who eventually got the Holy Grail. He was the son of Lancelot from an affair he had with a woman who seriously loved him and died when he didn't return it.

Gawain was a knight of the round table but a bit rough and a braggart. One of the stories is how he agreed to a challenge where he got to deal the first blow as long as he let the challenger do the same in one year's time. Gawain chops the guys head off :smuggo: only for him to pick it up and tell him to meet him in a year. :stonk:

In T.H. White's Once and Future King, everybody hated Galahad because he was such a goody two shoes and a pain in the rear end to be around, while Gawain was the crazy brawling drunken uncle but everyone liked him because he was fun to be around (just don't get him mad because he would straight up try to kill you)

It's a great read on Arthurian legend, it's also funny how people keep dunking on Arthur because they don't understand what he's trying to accomplish

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but that's not how the "wyn" in Gawyn would be pronounced

Is it?

Am I going crazy

No, you're right. There's no way to get a Dwayne rhyme out of this.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I always get Moiraine, Morin, Moridin, Mierin, Mori, Marin, Mirin, Murin, Moriairin, Mruaruirn, Miririrn, M

I mean for the most part I don't have trouble with all the M characters, as they are either very memorable (Moraine, Moridin) or fairly minor and thus not really worth remembering. But Merilille and Myrelle are in the middle ground where they are important enough to be worth keeping track of, but minor enough that I never got the hang of who was who. Also, they are both Aes Sedai, which adds to the confusion.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember there was that bit in one of the last couple books where we see all the Aiel/Tinker time-skips going forward in time until they die out and get run over by Seanchan trains, and in every time period there's another M_R_N character. There's like six in a row

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wait, Gawyn isn't pronounced Ga-wain? Which would rhyme with Dwayne?

*checks glossary*

gently caress. I've been pronouncing this wrong for like twenty drat years.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

ConfusedUs posted:

Wait, Gawyn isn't pronounced Ga-wain? Which would rhyme with Dwayne?

*checks glossary*

gently caress. I've been pronouncing this wrong for like twenty drat years.

:same:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The audiobooks rule for many reasons.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

A good friend of mine pronounced Gawyn as nearly indistinguishable from “Gown” we never bothered arguing about it. Just the imagery of a fabulous dress going off to sword people against the wishes of the women in its life is amusing enough.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Someone mentioned the Wheel of Time Spoiler Podcast ages ago and I figured I'd give it a listen. The hosts, at least at the beginning of the podcast, pronounced Ishamael's name like loving Ishmael from Moby Dick and it drove me up the wall.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How are u posted:

Someone mentioned the Wheel of Time Spoiler Podcast ages ago and I figured I'd give it a listen. The hosts, at least at the beginning of the podcast, pronounced Ishamael's name like loving Ishmael from Moby Dick and it drove me up the wall.

I mean, Jordan is deliberately playing with people's pattern-recognition tendencies by using all these names that are deliberate references to names we already recognize from other sources, fictional and otherwise. But if your job is to read things aloud for money I'd think you'd be a little more careful with that ol' pattern recognition

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Mat is a good and easy name to remember.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

How are u posted:

I like the podcast but this, the fact one host has misread "sheephearder" as "shepard-er" and the forsaken Samuel make it an occasionally infuriating listen.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Anias posted:

A good friend of mine pronounced Gawyn as nearly indistinguishable from “Gown” we never bothered arguing about it. Just the imagery of a fabulous dress going off to sword people against the wishes of the women in its life is amusing enough.

That probably isn't too far wrong if you're trying to say it Welsh

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Just be glad you're not forced to listen to me pronouncing names from Wheel of Time. As a German who started reading WoT as a kid with basically zero knowledge in foreign languages I simply pronounced every name as German as possible. Listening to 12-year old me reading out loud stuff like "Aes Sedai" would have made your ears fall off

(at that age I just blindly assumed everything written in German was written by a German author -the idea that someone would go through all that hard work of translating gibberish into Human language would have stunned me)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm having difficulty sounding out Aes Sedai in german. Help me out?
Ah-ess Zed-ah-ee?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's always fun working with people in other countries who have a name that looks like gibberish in their spelling but if you hear it spoken it suddenly comes together and you realize everybody in the European tradition has a pretty small common pool of names.

Working with a Ukrainian team, there's a Yevhen and people on my team are all like :supaburn: aaaAAAAAA I'm like dude just say Eugene, it sounds almost identical to the way he says it if you turn the G into a glottal fricative

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm having difficulty sounding out Aes Sedai in german. Help me out?
Ah-ess Zed-ah-ee?

I'm an idiot with this kind of thing, so I tried transcribing "Aes Sedai" in an online phonetic transcriptor, but apparently that only works with real words, the thing broke

So left on my own, I would say: Almost, maybe?? I'm always having trouble with the differences in pronouncing "Z" and "S", so I'd need a working phonetic transcriber to put the words in and transcribe them first into English, then into German phonemes. Without hearing you say this out loud, I honestly can't tell.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

VikingofRock posted:

Myrelle is the green who got lan.

Merillile is the one sent to caemlyn to try to ally with Rand, got leadership sniped by the ones returning from the waste, and ended up kneeling with the rest at dumais wells.

I mostly mix up aiel. Too many minor characters who are actually super important in the clans.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I tend to give various fantasy names and words their Finnish pronounciation since I have no idea how they'd sound in English.

It works out pretty well since so much fantasy apes Tolkien and Finnish was apparently a big influence on his made up languages.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Data Graham posted:

I mean, Jordan is deliberately playing with people's pattern-recognition tendencies by using all these names that are deliberate references to names we already recognize from other sources, fictional and otherwise. But if your job is to read things aloud for money I'd think you'd be a little more careful with that ol' pattern recognition

On a related note; it's amazing how many people recording fantasy audiobooks don't bother looking up the pronunciation of the word "geas".

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

On a related note; it's amazing how many people recording fantasy audiobooks don't bother looking up the pronunciation of the word "geas".

honestly i'd just take a wild stab at it.

or id turn it into a "who's on first?" routine

Brolander fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 20, 2019

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Clearly it's pronounced :honk:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've recently picked the series up fresh and started with the prologue book as well after having read like 9-10 of them when i was younger and forgotten like 90% of it. definitely excited to actually go through and finish it, and i'm...kind of vaguely optimistic about the show? anyways i'm halfway through book 2 at the moment. i've always had a soft spot for sorta-trashy fantasy.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've recently picked the series up fresh and started with the prologue book
:confused:
Why? Why would you do this?

I mean, it's more acceptable, given that you'd read the bulk of the series before, but still.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've always had a soft spot for sorta-trashy fantasy.

also due to my current circumstances it'll be nice to have a long book series to distract me when i need it.

that and i'm a very fast reader anyways

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
What? No, no. I mean, why start the series with book ten and a half? It's not the beginning.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh, i meant 'new spring', which mostly just filled in the blank of what moiraine and lan were up to before the events of the first book. i probably should have said prequel book.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

oh, i meant 'new spring', which mostly just filled in the blank of what moiraine and lan were up to before the events of the first book. i probably should have said prequel book.

Yeah, exactly, it was written assuming you've read the first ten books, because otherwise it can spoil a ton of the early stuff.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I know which book you meant. I just think it's a bad idea to start with it and wanted to know why you were doing so.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I've started rereads there, to be fair.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I remember New Spring being incredibly bland

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be honest i've definitely read up through like book 9 or 10 in the past, so if it spoiled anything i didn't notice it offhand and it wouldn't have mattered anyways since i still remember a few of the bigger plot points anyways. like rand cleansing saidan and getting lit up like a christmas tree. probably won't recommend it to a new person if it does give away some stuff, though. i thought it was pretty decent, if nothing else. it mainly only advertises itself as being a prequel to the first book and i'd had no idea it even existed, which is why i picked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, I remember liking it when I finally read it. I'm just still really sore about Narnia being renumbered with the wrong order, so any "it's a prequel so it comes first" behavior sets me off.