Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the dumbest thing is people who actually research sex will tell you that it's very much not a clear cut binary. all these fuckers hiding behind science when the actual science says the opposite of what they use to justify their bigotry

uh anyhow I finished a reread of Book of the Long Sun and it's real good and now want more generation starship stories. Got KSR's Aurora and Rivers Solomon's An Unkindness of Ghosts to read, what are y'alls favorites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dust by Elizabeth Bear takes the concept of a generational ship and then goes bonkers with it, you should check it out!

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my bony fealty posted:

the dumbest thing is people who actually research sex will tell you that it's very much not a clear cut binary. all these fuckers hiding behind science when the actual science says the opposite of what they use to justify their bigotry

Let me blow your mind: it's true to say that "human beings have five fingers per hand" not withstanding some fringe cases of six fingered people. We don't need to take the six-fingered lobby seriously and waste time changing social definitions to make them happy, even if we shouldn't be rude to them about their unusual condition.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Let me blow your mind: it's true to say that "human beings have five fingers per hand" not withstanding some fringe cases of six fingered people. We don't need to take the six-fingered lobby seriously and waste time changing social definitions to make them happy, even if we shouldn't be rude to them about their unusual condition.

That's certainly a take.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lol gently caress off scum

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

This is a really poo poo version of the princess bride.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

Idiots willfully misunderstand science and scientific evidence to back up their idiot opinions all the time. This has been a thing since forever. Ask Galileo or Darwin. Or just read the idiot quoted below.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

gently caress off, transphobe

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sex is about sexual reproduction. There are two sexes involved in sexual reproduction. In some rare cases there are also binary sexed individuals (who produce both gametes) or unsexed individuals (who produce no gametes).

In other rare cases, there are people in one of these categories who feel like they belong to one of the other categories. This is separate from which of these categories they actually occupy for the purposes of sexual reproduction. All of these people deserve respect, but not all of their views about how to classify themselves or humanity deserve similar respect. The vast majority of humanity understands this.

Science fiction novels, of course, can be an interesting way to intellectually play in areas where those false classifications can be true. Can anyone recommend some good ones along those lines?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's true, not all views about how to classify humanity deserve respect. gently caress off

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

To turn this into a good thing: I know of two trans authors off the top of my head: Yoon Ha Lee and Caitlin R Kiernan. Are there any others out there? I've got money and a need for more books to hoard.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

StrixNebulosa posted:

To turn this into a good thing: I know of two trans authors off the top of my head: Yoon Ha Lee and Caitlin R Kiernan. Are there any others out there? I've got money and a need for more books to hoard.

Charlie Jane Anders.
I have All The Birds in the Sky on my Kindle but still haven't read it. She won a Nebula and Locus award for that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

JY Yang, whose Tensorate series directly addresses gender identification as part of the main character(s) culture. Charlie Jane Anders too, though I haven't read any of her work personally.

edit: Margaret Killjoy too, she writes these kind of anarcho-punk supernatural horror novellas but, uh, I actually don't like her writing very much, YMMV though

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 20, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You just gotta keep digging that hole, don't you.

e:

Fart of Presto posted:

Charlie Jane Anders.
I have All The Birds in the Sky on my Kindle but still haven't read it. She won a Nebula and Locus award for that.
It's pretty good for YA. Predictable but a very enjoyable read.
A bit too much focus on the romance for my liking, but that applies to any focus on any kind of romance in any kind of book.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 20, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

To indiebound, thank you! And since I really enjoy romance it sounds like All the Birds in the Sky will be my jam.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

It's pretty good for YA. Predictable but a very enjoyable read.
A bit too much focus on the romance for my liking, but that applies to any focus on any kind of romance in any kind of book.

Heh same, I would be completely fine with scifi/fantasy authors just kind of giving up on romance plots for the most part. That's more a personal preference than some sweeping statement on the genre, though. But they can gently caress right off when it comes to sex scenes, I don't think I've read any genre book with a sex scene that didn't make me cringe or roll my eyes at least once.

On a related note, I've found I have near-zero patience for reading fight scenes. Some of it is just flat-out bad writing (you can tell which sf/f writers are like martial arts or HEMA enthusiasts because they write the most blisteringly boring blow-by-blow fight scenes), some of it is that most fight scenes or combat scenes in books seem to just be about the fight and not about developing characters, or setting a scene, or moving the action along, or literally anything but two dudes wrasslin. So that said, does anybody do combat or fights really well? It seems like a bit of a unicorn.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sex is about sexual reproduction. There are two sexes involved in sexual reproduction. In some rare cases there are also binary sexed individuals (who produce both gametes) or unsexed individuals (who produce no gametes).

Maybe come back when you have a better than third grade understanding of biology. Better yet, don't come back at all.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Off the top of my head:
- Alex White (A Big Ship at the End of the Universe is a rec I got from this thread (and enjoyed)
- Alex Acks writes steampunky mystery-y stuff; I got Murder on the Titania in a bundle and it made a nice snack read
- Bard Bloom writes weird but fun sci-fantasy furry stuff like Snake-Armed Girl and Mating Flight
- I've only read one thing by Kate Diamond (The Cloudship Trader) but it was fun, if short
- If you're into romance J.S. Fields wrote the Ardulum trilogy

I have a nagging feeling that I'm forgetting someone I've read recently but it might be another author already mentioned ITT.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I did not love All the Birds in the Sky. It's not bad, but it sort of has that "unprofessional" vibe I get from something like Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore.

For short stories Daniel Mallory Ortberg (Written and probably sold as Mallory, has since transitioned to Daniel) had The Merry Spinster which are sort of weird dark retellings of fairy tales, often (unsurprisingly) focusing on gender roles. There are some stories I found to be real misses, but generally, I liked it.

More historical fiction but Confessions of the Fox by Jordy Rosenberg which recasts the famous crook Jack Sheppard as a trans man. Also it's about the academic who discovered a manuscript that revealed this. It's a complicated thing, but the big overarching theme is rewriting history and also identity.

I could swear there's another couple I had floating around.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

Heh same, I would be completely fine with scifi/fantasy authors just kind of giving up on romance plots for the most part. That's more a personal preference than some sweeping statement on the genre, though. But they can gently caress right off when it comes to sex scenes, I don't think I've read any genre book with a sex scene that didn't make me cringe or roll my eyes at least once.

On a related note, I've found I have near-zero patience for reading fight scenes. Some of it is just flat-out bad writing (you can tell which sf/f writers are like martial arts or HEMA enthusiasts because they write the most blisteringly boring blow-by-blow fight scenes), some of it is that most fight scenes or combat scenes in books seem to just be about the fight and not about developing characters, or setting a scene, or moving the action along, or literally anything but two dudes wrasslin. So that said, does anybody do combat or fights really well? It seems like a bit of a unicorn.

Abercrombie's Heroes has my favorite fight scene, and also does pretty well with characters. It's a standalone in the same world as his doorstopper trilogy, but I read it without having read the series, so it can be done.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Ben Nevis posted:

For short stories Daniel Mallory Ortberg (Written and probably sold as Mallory, has since transitioned to Daniel)
Daniel M. Lavery now.

Yes, the guy from The Toast.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There are people who spend their entire lives studying humans and sexes of people and so far, those doctors have said collectively "It ain't binary, and doesn't loving matter anyway, go try to not be an rear end in a top hat", so maybe take the professional's advice and don't worry about it unless it involves you somehow.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

You haven't read any Mary Robinette Kowal.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hadn't heard of Yoon Ha Lee. I looked up his work and it looks interesting. Is Dragon Pearl good? It looks like it's YA, but Korean Space Opera sounds awesome.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I hadn't heard of Yoon Ha Lee. I looked up his work and it looks interesting. Is Dragon Pearl good? It looks like it's YA, but Korean Space Opera sounds awesome.

I've only read Ninefox Gambit by Lee and adored it as dark magical space opera with one great heroine. Haven't touched Dragon Pearl yet!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

Abercrombie's Heroes has my favorite fight scene, and also does pretty well with characters. It's a standalone in the same world as his doorstopper trilogy, but I read it without having read the series, so it can be done.

Which one was your favorite, out of curiosity? I just read this, and I will agree that in general Abercrombie does a better job than most, in part because he does a good job of depicting how much of a hosed up mess actual fights are (or inevitably become).

pseudorandom name posted:

You haven't read any Mary Robinette Kowal.

That's correct, I have not. Calculating Stars is on my shortlist though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I guess it's worth articulating, for anyone in the bleachers who's wondering why everyone yelled at the reddit guy, that 'biological sex is real' isn't the problem. Yes, there's a physical sex, and most people do fall in the XX or XY karyotopes. There are developmental consequences of these karyotopes which generally but not exclusively sort into two big heaps, 'male' and 'female'. Those wacky social justice warriors aren't denying this.

What people are rightly angry about is the use of this fact as a dogwhistle to justify hurting or outright killing trans people. It's very important to anti-trans rhetoric that everything be reduced to biological sex: that there be absolutely no way to decide whether you're a man or a woman except your karyotope. (This doesn’t work, since karyotope doesn’t translate cleanly to phenotype, but terfs are normative: they want to protect a core definition from all the edge cases, so they don’t care). If terfs don't have that reductionism to fall back on, they have to admit they just hate trans people. This means terfs will dodge any suggestion that your gender can be determined by anything but an XX or XY karyotope - despite mountains of empirical evidence to the contrary.

Being transgender, identifying as a gender different from your birth sex, is also a biological fact (and, hell, even if it was socially or environmentally determined, who cares? we go to enormous lengths to protect social constructs like marriage or banks; we see them as vital to society and individual freedom). Morgan went to bat for Rowling, who was going to bat for someone who believed trans people should, in essence, be erased: forcibly treated as if they were cis, with no regard to their own wiring or individual will, or to the clinical outcomes this treatment produces (suicide). Both research and basic ethics can tell you this is a terrible idea that harms and kills trans people.

The medically and ethically correct response to someone saying 'I am this gender' is to support their determination, just as the medically and ethically correct response to someone saying 'I am attracted to these (consenting adult) people' is to say 'go for it.' Any appeal to :biotruths:, to the notion that 'there are only two sexes and all else is delusion', is a dodge. It is a way to hide from the fact that trans people clearly do exist and clearly do benefit from transitioning.

Of course, even if there were only one trans person in the world, the first in history, it's easy to make a purely ethical argument that their identity should be recognized. But that's another post.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 20, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It's definitely YA, but pretty rad YA. Spaceships and ghosts and poo poo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Well put, Battuta.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thank you for this.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

General Battuta posted:

I guess it's worth articulating, for anyone in the bleachers who's wondering why everyone yelled at the reddit guy, that 'biological sex is real' isn't the problem. Yes, there's a physical sex, and most people do fall in the XX or XY karyotopes. There are developmental consequences of these karyotopes which generally but not exclusively sort into two big heaps, 'male' and 'female'. Those wacky social justice warriors aren't denying this.

What people are rightly angry about is the use of this fact as a dogwhistle to justify hurting or outright killing trans people. It's very important to anti-trans rhetoric that everything be reduced to biological sex: that there be absolutely no way to decide whether you're a man or a woman except your karyotope. If terfs don't have that reductionism to fall back on, they have to admit they just hate trans people. This means terfs will dodge any suggestion that your gender can be determined by anything but an XX or XY karyotope - despite mountains of empirical evidence to the contrary.

It's also worth noting that, even if you're just talking about "biological sex" and not gender, looking just at karyotype is reductive and incorrect and if you are doing Actual Science you really need to treat sex as the fuzzy, partially overlapping piles of mostly-correlated traits it is, and not as two discrete buckets, or your data will be garbage.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

Which one was your favorite, out of curiosity? I just read this, and I will agree that in general Abercrombie does a better job than most, in part because he does a good job of depicting how much of a hosed up mess actual fights are (or inevitably become).

I probably should have specifically said battle scene, I suppose. It's the one where it jumps from character to character with each dying in turn and culminating in Whirrun's death. It was quite well done, I thought, and gave you a little bit of a lot of things and did show what a mess it actually all is.

Ben Nevis fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 20, 2019

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

I probably should have specifically said battle scene, I suppose. It's the one where it jumps from character to character with each dying in turn and culminating in Whirrun's death. It was quite well done, I thought, and gave you a little bit of a lot of things and did show what a mess it actually all is.

Oh yeah, that one was very good.

ps you're missing a / in your second spoilertag

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So raven Tower by Leckie was good.
Although she cheats a bit by applying a second person view on the main protagonist, thus avoiding having flesh out the protagonist.
Is her other work similar in style to this, even though it is sci-fi?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

MockingQuantum posted:

So that said, does anybody do combat or fights really well? It seems like a bit of a unicorn.

Iain M. Banks

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

less laughter posted:

Iain M. Banks
I did appreciate that one epic space battle where the ship's all "now watch this this next bit is super sweet" and its passenger goes "are you just showing me what happened with flashy lights because you won a fraction of a second after it started" and the ship reluctantly stops the replay.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

This will probably get an eye roll but I honestly think Robert Jordan writes *battle* scenes very well, with a veteran's eye. You believe his characters have seen real combat.

For small individual scale fight scenes, probably Robert E. Howard. Say what you will about Conan, a Conan fight scene grips the reader.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 20, 2019

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

What people are rightly angry about is the use of this fact as a dogwhistle to justify hurting or outright killing trans people. It's very important to anti-trans rhetoric that everything be reduced to biological sex: that there be absolutely no way to decide whether you're a man or a woman except your karyotope. (This doesn’t work, since karyotope doesn’t translate cleanly to phenotype, but terfs are normative: they want to protect a core definition from all the edge cases, so they don’t care). If terfs don't have that reductionism to fall back on, they have to admit they just hate trans people. This means terfs will dodge any suggestion that your gender can be determined by anything but an XX or XY karyotope - despite mountains of empirical evidence to the contrary.

Being transgender, identifying as a gender different from your birth sex, is also a biological fact (and, hell, even if it was socially or environmentally determined, who cares? we go to enormous lengths to protect social constructs like marriage or banks; we see them as vital to society and individual freedom). Morgan went to bat for Rowling, who was going to bat for someone who believed trans people should, in essence, be erased: forcibly treated as if they were cis, with no regard to their own wiring or individual will, or to the clinical outcomes this treatment produces (suicide). Both research and basic ethics can tell you this is a terrible idea that harms and kills trans people.

The medically and ethically correct response to someone saying 'I am this gender' is to support their determination, just as the medically and ethically correct response to someone saying 'I am attracted to these (consenting adult) people' is to say 'go for it.' Any appeal to :biotruths:, to the notion that 'there are only two sexes and all else is delusion', is a dodge. It is a way to hide from the fact that trans people clearly do exist and clearly do benefit from transitioning.

Of course, even if there were only one trans person in the world, the first in history, it's easy to make a purely ethical argument that their identity should be recognized. But that's another post.

Can I quote this post on Facebook with (or if you prefer without) attribution?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Gareth Powell (author of a bunch of stuff) had a brief exchange with Transphobic bigot Richard Morgan on twitter

I tweeted at him to essentially say 'wtf' and he stated he hadn't seen what Morgan had written yesterday

And this is what he then posted.

https://twitter.com/garethlpowell/status/1208156946664239110

Now I do have some mutuals with him, people I know who know him, or are going to be publishing something by him in the next year

But if you want to support authors who stand up, then buy something he wrote.

(Actually, some sort of 'these are good people to buy' list would be good in general)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PST posted:

(Actually, some sort of 'these are good people to buy' list would be good in general)

I asked for and received the names of trans authors above in this very thread, definitely buy their stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
This was posted up a little while ago as well. I haven't read it, so I can't comment on em.

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesGeeks/status/1208077457439559680