Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

I think The Last Jedi gets a bit too much credit for just attempting, but largely failing, to say something; but that praise is understandable since it came after TFA, which went out of its way to be about nothing. It mainly just irks me that it gets so much credit for being a deconstruction of the OT when the prequels did the same thing in a much less sentimental manner.

It (tried to) deconstruct a different thing; it was more about structure and expectations of fans to what to expect in a Star War and not the glorifying of the Jedi and the Republic Obi Wan introduced in the OT, which the prequels did. It basically literally begged to do something different with the series for 75 percent while still taking some of the good parts, and set up the 3rd movie to be basically completely different from Jedi in execution, even if not as much as we may have necessarily wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I really wonder who made the call to not have Rey and Kylo join up in TFA, or at least having them swap spots as the 'good' guy and 'bad' guy. Same with Rey secretly actually saving the Jedi texts even though the film says she should move beyond. As a TLJ lover that was the biggest missed potential, I really wanted them to commit to a new direction in the Star Wars beyond Jedi and Sith but RoS is just like "actually it's 200% Jedi all the way down."

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Shaocaholica posted:

Only white ppl can be in positions of power in the empire/FO it seems :thunk:

Not even another species

Nah they've shown a few POC, there was a black admiral/moff/whatever at the table in Kylo's meeting for example. But also yes they're facists and specifically anti alien.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

How did she quit, was she like Luke on some rock cut off from the force?

She got falsely accused for bombing the Jedi Temple and got kicked out of the order (as a Padawan), they figured out they were wrong and were like "sorry, you can come back," then she was like "gently caress off" and stayed out of the order.

By Rebels, she's a force user that works with the Rebels, but is still not a Jedi and doesn't plan to be or care to be one.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
It is a very pretty movie and John Williams' score is what you would expect from a Star War movie

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

2house2fly posted:

I don't even care about it being a deconstruction or subverting expectations, I like TLJ because it's cool. There's just a ton of times watching it where I said "oh hell yeah" and I found the story rewarded thinking about it and rewatching it. My favourite was the way Luke haughtily says the Force isn't about lifting rocks, only for Rey to triumphantly save the day at the end by... lifting rocks(The first time I watched it I got distracted at this bit so I missed Rey clumsily pointing this out in dialogue; Johnson doesn't write very good dialogue which frankly holds the movie back). Snoke just getting sliced in two and his top half flopping onto the floor in the background was sweet as gently caress too

Yeah, it's fine. It takes really big swings and connects some times and misses others. Both the extreme hatred and extreme admiration for it often strike me as performative for some reason, but I guess I just didn't connect with it or bounce off of it as hard as some people did.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Captain Jesus posted:

which is why I can't forgive TLJ that it backtracks on that immediately after the fight ends, when it's revealed that Kylo is actually evil and supposedly irredeemable (as is implied later by Luke and Leia).

Yeah I feel you. My headcanon is that he becomes "Punished Solo" after Rey turns him back, and he becomes this wandering antihero type (who neither identifies as Jedi or Sith), and exiles himself to wild space or wherever, seeking atonement for killing his father by trying to good around the galaxy or something.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

https://twitter.com/boobooben/status/1207889476174929921

There's no way my screening will be this great but God drat I love the anger and the WHERES BEN

I'm just gonna assume that person has serious mental health issues because otherwise it's just too sad.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This new Force power of teleporting things to other people was funny, and something not really explained in the leaks I saw, heh.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

teagone posted:

Yeah I feel you. My headcanon is that he becomes "Punished Solo" after Rey turns him back, and he becomes this wandering antihero type (who neither identifies as Jedi or Sith), who exiles himself, seeking atonement for killing his father by trying to good around the galaxy or something.

This would be nice but he didnt just kill his father, that's not what he needs to seek atonement for, it's the fact he helped blow up 5 planets that killed countless billions. Like he wasn't kept awake at night because of the mass slaughter of innocents but because he stabbed his Dad. There was zero redeeming him just like Vader was never redeemed, him sacrificing himself was the best thing for him.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Just Chamber posted:

This would be nice but he didnt just kill his father, that's not what he needs to seek atonement for, it's the fact he helped blow up 5 planets that killed countless billions. Like he wasn't kept awake at night because of the mass slaughter of innocents but because he stabbed his Dad. There was zero redeeming him just like Vader was never redeemed, him sacrificing himself was the best thing for him.

Yeah, I meant as much, but it was killing his father that split his soul as per Snoke's words.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

This new Force power of teleporting things to other people was funny, and something not really explained in the leaks I saw, heh.

I really like it. It's unique take on how the force can be manipulated, and hinted at in TLJ with the water.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

^^^Yeah, I didn't hate that addition.

Also, what the hell was with dead Leia waiting for Ben to make his body disappear before she did?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

General Dog posted:

I'm not sure who walks out of this movie really satisfied, other than children and people who are just generally captivated by bright flashing lights; and I don't think many kids even give a poo poo about Star Wars anymore.

I was “satisfied” in that I felt like they did the best the could with what they had. They were able to tie back to the prequels to bring the whole thing together, but after the fallout from TLJ I never expected them to take any showstopping risks. I can’t think of any immediate obvious plot point they couldve changed to make it better.

What I mean is, we can scream at each other all day about how Leia should have died in TLJ so they wouldn’t have to force her in here, and I don’t totally disagree, but I went in with the mindset of “The Last Jedi exists, for better or worse, and that’s not going to change. Let’s see if this movie can respect that without totally sucking.”

Hazo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 20, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kids still love Star Wars

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

teagone posted:

I really like it. It's unique take on how the force can be manipulated, and hinted at in TLJ with the water.

it was one of the few aspects from TLJ that it expanded on instead of retconning and the fight scene on kajimi or whatever was neat

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Just Chamber posted:

Adding to this, Kylo would still die in the third episode in my headcanon either way. Even after exiling himself and trying to do good. Self-sacrifice is legit the only way for the character to properly end, I agree.

romanowski posted:

it was one of the few aspects from TLJ that it expanded on instead of retconning and the fight scene on kajimi or whatever was neat

Yeah, the force connection duel was superb.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

mastershakeman posted:

There's no way my screening will be this great but God drat I love the anger and the WHERES BEN

That's funny but wtf is a "Reylo screening"

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Hazo posted:

I was “satisfied” in that I felt like they did the best the could with what they had. They were able to tie back to the prequels to bring the whole thing together, but after the fallout from TLJ I never expected them to take any showstopping risks. I can’t think of any immediate obvious plot point they couldve changed to make it better.

What I mean is, we can scream at each other all day about how Leia should have died in TLJ so they wouldn’t have to force her in here, and I don’t totally disagree, but I went in with the mindset of “The Last Jedi exists, for better or worse, and that’s not going to change. Let’s see if this movie can respect that without totally sucking.”

Ummm what?

What was the possible upside or necessity of making Rey Sheev's granddaughter? On one hand it's a big strobe light that Abrams doesn't know how to write without adding "twists." On the other hand, it makes Abrams look like a whiny bitch because Johnson didn't do what he wanted.

There's dozens of decisions made in this movie that didn't need to be in there. Like why did the dagger have to have some weird compass/sextant instead of just saying "it's in the throne room." Or why put the Knights of Ren in there to be punks? Or add in weirdass dialogue of "The whole galaxy is rising up!" instead of just showing us? Or the "Holdo maneuver"

Maybe it's a personal thing, but so much of the problems I had with the movie are the "extra" things that Abrams puts in that don't need to be there for the movie to work exactly the same. He actively subtracts from good additions but adding extra poo poo that detract from cool things.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 20, 2019

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Golden Bee posted:

The Rey/Kylo fight scenes could’ve been five minute shorter in the first half of the movie. They are evenly matched, that is very easy to show cinematically.

TLJ was a confused movie that was about getting rid of the old Star Wars traditions… And ends with everyone piling onto the millennium falcon.

This is the first comment of anyone speaking on the saber battle at all.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mastershakeman posted:

What's this Reylo nonsense?

Also, movie was a lot of fun and holy poo poo Palpatine still fuckin' owns.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think I hate the whole Rey and Kylo talking to each other through the force thing. They fought so many times in that mode that when they actually do fight at the Death Star I had no idea if Kylo was actually there or not. Just fuckin didn’t care for it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

gohmak posted:

This is the first comment of anyone speaking on the saber battle at all.

There's way more to take in than just the saber fights, but I've personally gushed over the death star wreckage duel and the force connection stuff on kijimi. Both are really well done.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think I hate the whole Rey and Kylo talking to each other through the force thing. They fought so many times in that mode that when they actually do fight at the Death Star I had no idea if Kylo was actually there or not. Just fuckin didn’t care for it

There was a scene where Ben told Sheev he knew explicitly where Rey was going when she was going after the wayfinder in the death star wreckage and was going there to kill her.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ummm what?

What was the possible upside or necessity of making Rey Sheev's granddaughter? On one hand it's a big strobe light that Abrams doesn't know how to write without adding "twists." On the other hand, it makes Abrams look like a whiny bitch because Johnson didn't do what he wanted.

It helped explain why Rey was so naturally good at the Force despite having like six minutes of training, which is something tons of nerds were bitching about. I fully expected something like that to happen, though I thought they were going to tie back to the prequels even more by going the “Palps magic-ed her into existence like they implied he did with Anakin” route.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 20, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

The problem is that basically no one in any of the movies even gives a poo poo about the Republic capital dying. Like when Leia lost Alderaan it was her home and right in front of her, but we're given no reason to give a poo poo about the planets JJ blew up because JJ just has a fetish for blowing up planets that he continues in this movie. Like from an audience perspective Kylo killing Han is the worst thing he's done since we know Han, care about him, and the characters in the movie do too!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

sigher posted:

Also, movie was a lot of fun and holy poo poo Palpatine still fuckin' owns.

There were a few good moments, but he seemed a little bored most of the time. If you're going to bring back Palpatine, he should've spent the entire movie just ruthlessly making GBS threads on Kylo. Making fun of his hat, making fun of his inability to resolve his feelings about mummy and daddy, making fun of how he's never won a lightsaber battle, all of it.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 20, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hazo posted:

It helped explain why Rey was so naturally good at the Force despite having like six minutes of training, which is something tons of nerds were bitching about. I fully expected something like that to happen, though I thought they were going to tie back to the prequels even more by going the “Palps magic-ed her into existence like they implied he did with Anakin” route.

It was already addressed by saying the Force just dumped a bunch of power into her because there was too much dark side. No need to add genetic heritage into it.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hazo posted:

gently caress the nerds. It's a reductive critique anyway, why was Palpatine himself so strong in the force? Why was Obi-Wan or Yoda so strong in the force? They must have all had a shared grandfather!

Also:

Darko posted:

It was already addressed by saying the Force just dumped a bunch of power into her because there was too much dark side. No need to add genetic heritage into it.

Also, if they're gonna do it, it should have been the way you describe. Again, Abrams goes a few details too far and makes his own twist make no sense. Now we have to believe that he had a kid right around the time he was Chancellor/Emperor and the kid just peaced out and no one ever mentioned them?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nessin posted:

There are barely any audience scores. Wait until the audience score hits at least 5 digits before reading into it.

:v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

General Dog posted:

There were a few good moments, but he seemed a little bored most of the time. If you're going to bring back Palpatine, he should've spent the entire movie just ruthlessly making GBS threads on Kylo. Making fun of his hat, making fun of his inability to resolve his feelings about mummy and daddy, making fun of how he's never won a lightsaber battle, all of it.

I mean, the whole film should have just been just Palpatine true, but what we did get was dope. McDiarmid is fantastic in the role.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was not expecting that audience score. Huh

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

:tif:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s way more mixed on meta critic. Anyway I got a dm of someone telling me I just don’t understand Star Wars for not liking this movie. I think it’s time to move on from this series forever lol. Just not even worth it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

Also, if they're gonna do it, it should have been the way you describe. Again, Abrams goes a few details too far and makes his own twist make no sense. Now we have to believe that he had a kid right around the time he was Chancellor/Emperor and the kid just peaced out and no one ever mentioned them?

That son was the Tiffany Trump of the Palpatine family.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Darko posted:

When was this?

Pook Good Mook posted:

gently caress the nerds. It's a reductive critique anyway, why was Palpatine himself so strong in the force? Why was Obi-Wan or Yoda so strong in the force? They must have all had a shared grandfather!

I mean, I don’t disagree v:geno:v

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's gonna be borderline impossible to find now so I'm just gonna hope whoever posted it in here sees this request:

Someone posted a picture of some dipshit up on a stage probably giving a TED talk at Facebook HQ or something that had a sign in the background that said something like MAKE THE CONSUMER YOUR ______ MAKE YOUR BRAND A RELIGION etc

If you could repost that for me that'd be swell thank you.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hazo posted:

When was this?

I mean, I don’t disagree v:geno:v

In TLJ Snoke said he told Keylo that the force would provide a counterpoint to him.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

euphronius posted:

Was not expecting that audience score. Huh

The 5-star reviews all read like the twitter posts. Football game, remember?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Hazo posted:

It helped explain why Rey was so naturally good at the Force despite having like six minutes of training, which is something tons of nerds were bitching about.
It does it in the most pathetically regressive way by reducing the force back down to blood magic, gently caress it was the turning point for me from being ambivalent to not liking this jumbled panic attack of a film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

How come Anakin was there to offer words of encouragement to Palpatine's granddaughter at the end... but not his own grandson who came back to the light? Lmao.

This is the single greatest fault I will attribute to TROS.