Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Jesus christ what is her deal?

e: new chapter just posted last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess maybe Makima's deal is she's contracted with tons of different devils?

Also hybrids are really weak to sneak attacks huh. They're effectively human before they activate their powers.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Oh Power, you silly goose :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm sad.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don't think anyone was surprised by this.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

POOOOOWWEEEEERRR

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
On one hand, Power bursting into the room right when she did was hilarious.

On the other, the thing with Reze is starting to make me worry this is going to turn into Fire Punch and just be all grim and make me stop caring.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
chainsawman owns an insane amount and also what was being talked about. don't watch if you don't want to see happy dogs kill rats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Pyu-Cj0gg

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

not a single dog in sight in the latest chap, jose is a lying punk

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i said talked about i didn't say you would see a dog

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

A L Y I N G P U N K

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

I guess maybe Makima's deal is she's contracted with tons of different devils?

Also hybrids are really weak to sneak attacks huh. They're effectively human before they activate their powers.

Really weak seems like an exaggeration here. Angel's weapons have supernatural properties, and Makima is bullshit.

But yeah. Reze and Denji have repeatedly shown that ambush attacks don't let them use their full abilities.

Don't know what all Makima has deals with, but that can't be the whole of it. Aki's had deals with three devils, for example, and he's not half as bullshit as the boss.

Plus, you know. She's got that same emotional emptiness as Denji. That probably means something.

HerraS posted:

not a single dog in sight in the latest chap, jose is a lying punk

Well, there's still Denji.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

She literally just use rat teleportation. Rateleportation. I feel like she's going to turn out to be a domesticated horseman of the apocalypse or something.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

drat that was cold.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Power owns and is exactly the kind of dumb turnaround this chapter needed to end on

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
this poo poo rules

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

She literally just use rat teleportation. Rateleportation. I feel like she's going to turn out to be a domesticated horseman of the apocalypse or something.

She also talked about what Denji and Reze discussed at the school. Admittedly, she could have gotten that from Beam, but it's interesting attention to detail on Makima's part.

And then she doesn't cut off Reze's other hand, instead holding it as she lowers Reze to the ground. Which is interesting.

Oh, and Makima shows up in a maid outfit in the color spread this issue. Assuming that the writers for the manga were asked who the female lead was, that's an interesting thing to consider going forward.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

chiasaur11 posted:

And then she doesn't cut off Reze's other hand, instead holding it as she lowers Reze to the ground. Which is interesting.

She was stopping Reze from pulling the pin on her neck and activating her powers.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RatHat posted:

She was stopping Reze from pulling the pin on her neck and activating her powers.

My :tinfoil: theory is she actually is taking Reze in alive so she can eat her and steal her powers. She's some kind of cannibal devil and that's why her power set is so diverse.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

On one hand, Power bursting into the room right when she did was hilarious.

On the other, the thing with Reze is starting to make me worry this is going to turn into Fire Punch and just be all grim and make me stop caring.

I dunno. Denji has one Agni-like introspective moment of "am I incapable of feeling sadness because of my devil heart?", and he IMMEDIATELY pivots away with "ahh gently caress that philosophical poo poo, it's depressing". Then he eats a flower.

Safe to say we're probably safe from Fujimoto's bleakboner... until we go to Russia. Then all bets are off. Famines, regenerators, hybrid-based fuel rooms. I hate it already.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phimose Knight posted:

I dunno. Denji has one Agni-like introspective moment of "am I incapable of feeling sadness because of my devil heart?", and he IMMEDIATELY pivots away with "ahh gently caress that philosophical poo poo, it's depressing". Then he eats a flower.

Safe to say we're probably safe from Fujimoto's bleakboner... until we go to Russia. Then all bets are off. Famines, regenerators, hybrid-based fuel rooms. I hate it already.

Fujimoto's actually said in interviews that Denji basically exists to counter his bleakness boner. Denji's an optimistic dumbass immortal who can get over pretty much any bad thing that happens, and thus even when the manga throws dark as hell, the next panel can be Denji and Power bickering like idiots and it kind of lets people cool down.

Also, thinking about it, I figure Reze didn't really believe Denji's descriptions of his life. If you grew up in government torture dungeons, then the idea that someone like Makima would let someone like Denji have this much slack in his leash would seem deeply, deeply unlikely.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Phimose Knight posted:

Eh, just because Denji doesn't care doesn't mean it can't be bleak.

None of the main cast of Drakengard gives a poo poo and that game is bleak as hell.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm just happy Power is back, the genius dynamic duo has been reunited!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
One of my favorite things about this manga is how loving blatant Makima's abuse of Denji is. I've seen so many series, both Western and Japanese, that have characters like her that they try to justify or argue that the characters really DO care about the people they're horrifically abusing psychologically. Chainsaw Man completely acknowledges the monstrous nature of their relationship, and she seems like more of the villain than the Gun Devil at this point. Even if the series tried to humanize her in the future, I think it would be hard for even the densest person to consider her "good" or "right".

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something else I thought about :

If Reze was known to be a Russian asset, and the Russians were in some kind of contact with Bomb Devil, who was itself working with the Gun Devil, wouldn't it have made more sense to try and wring her for information before offing her?

Unless Makima knows something we don't (almost certainly) and/or has some kind of ulterior motive (which is looking more and more likely).

Darth TNT posted:

I'm just happy Power is back, the genius dynamic duo has been reunited!

Moreso than Denji I feel like Power (and Beam and Violence Devil) are what will keep the series from getting too dark, and if they die it's going straight fire punch grimdark, regardless of Denji.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

One of my favorite things about this manga is how loving blatant Makima's abuse of Denji is. I've seen so many series, both Western and Japanese, that have characters like her that they try to justify or argue that the characters really DO care about the people they're horrifically abusing psychologically. Chainsaw Man completely acknowledges the monstrous nature of their relationship, and she seems like more of the villain than the Gun Devil at this point. Even if the series tried to humanize her in the future, I think it would be hard for even the densest person to consider her "good" or "right".

Well the gun devil has killed millions so hrm not sure about this op

Bomb being owned easily enough here is fine by me because Fujimoto showed us a few times including Denji vs Bomb that stopping them pulling their pin really fucks them.

Angel protecting my delicate Prince Aki :kimchi:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Makima is very cool imo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

Yeah, I got that, but the interesting bit is the hand being gently held back rather than sliced off like the other one.

It's kind of connected to Makima not being happy. Which, sometimes she is when killing people. The scenes with the condemned prisoners? She's smiling. Yakuza? Smiling.

Reze?

She looks a little sad, if anything. And even though Angel defied orders in leaving Aki behind, she's going for a compliment, not a reprimand.

Which is the interesting bit.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Makima is very cool imo.

it's the suit

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

it's the suit

It helps a lot.

But she's also just pretty interesting I feel. Not really in regards to her mysterious powers, but more about how what her angle is and how she thinks about what she's doing. There's a lot of potential there.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Denji eats the flowers because he's gonna get his money's worth one way or another, after going hungry so long.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

it's the suit

Public Safety's uniforms aren't brought up much, but they do a great job, in universe and out.

In the setting, putting a devil in a suit and tie says "Do not worry, citizen. I am a terrifying monster, but I am a terrifying monster who draws a government paycheck by keeping you safe."

Out of setting, all the protagonists have similar but distinct visuals to make them feel like a team (and feel like professionals, despite being...themselves.) without making it hard to tell them apart. Denji still wearing the tie gives him visual continuity when going all chainsaw, which is handy for keeping track of things in a fight scene.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Reze during her introduction chapter.

Reze during the latest chapter

Brilliant use of panels. Also notice how she's much more tense, fists clenched etc.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

Brilliant use of panels. Also notice how she's much more tense, fists clenched etc.

I was wondering why that sequence seemed to familiar.
That's some fantastic visual story telling. Thanks for posting this Mulderman.

The only thing that bothers me is that her neckband seems to disappear or change places in the opening sequence.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulderman posted:

The titles are parallels too.

"Love, Flower, Chainsaw"

leads to

"Lost Love, Flower, Chainsaw".

(Which fits better than some fan translations going with heartbreak. Denji's emotional resilience is one of his defining traits, to the point of smiling while he's eating the flowers.)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The author really has a thing for, i dunno, cinematic storytelling. It's been very apparent in Fire Punch too, you could see him apply some of the well known tricks like that, both visually and narratively. I'm still sorta convinced that the camera boy was a big part in Fire Punch because he's a big nerd for that kinda storytelling.
I still remember that one introduction scene to the train in Fire Punch that was kinda hard to parse, until it hit me that what he was doing is the long continuous camera pan, from the end of the moving train forwards, through all the train cars up to the front, to establish the grounds for the later action scene. You could really feel that he was trying for a literal establishing movie shot, except kinda hampered by the static and snapshotty nature of the comic panels he had to work with.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

The author really has a thing for, i dunno, cinematic storytelling. It's been very apparent in Fire Punch too, you could see him apply some of the well known tricks like that, both visually and narratively. I'm still sorta convinced that the camera boy was a big part in Fire Punch because he's a big nerd for that kinda storytelling.
I still remember that one introduction scene to the train in Fire Punch that was kinda hard to parse, until it hit me that what he was doing is the long continuous camera pan, from the end of the moving train forwards, through all the train cars up to the front, to establish the grounds for the later action scene. You could really feel that he was trying for a literal establishing movie shot, except kinda hampered by the static and snapshotty nature of the comic panels he had to work with.

I feel like the one dude in Fire Punch being a massive movie nerd was him writing what he knows. :v:

chiasaur11 posted:

The titles are parallels too.

"Love, Flower, Chainsaw"

leads to

"Lost Love, Flower, Chainsaw".

(Which fits better than some fan translations going with heartbreak. Denji's emotional resilience is one of his defining traits, to the point of smiling while he's eating the flowers.)

Thinking about it, he wasn't that sad when Himeno died, but like... He barely even knew her. Putting aside time nonsense in the hotel he'd known her for what, a few days? And she tried to kill him at least once in that period. Then threw up in his mouth. Obviously he's not going to be too upset. It's not even as if he particularly likes Aki, who was pretty much destroyed emotionally, to be upset on his behalf.

Reze on the other hand, he might take as an actual loss because he connected with her. Even if it was only a short period, he clearly felt a lot more attached to her than Himeno. Not to mention Makima (well, Angel) killed her as opposed to someone that was already an enemy. That makes it more of a betrayal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he thought she hadn't shown up, so it didn't bother him too much. but then, with denji's resilience it's very likely that with enough time he would be fine with the truth of what happened.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Also, thinking about it... this is kinda Denji's fault.

So, we know that Makima knew about Denji and Reze's dates. This suggests two possibilities.

One is that Makima has yet another unknown power, she knew everything all along, and she just let a bunch of devil hunters die for no benefit. This also means she let Angel, one of the top three most powerful assets at her disposal, almost die as well, just for giggles, when she could have prevented it beforehand, and she left success up to a Rube Goldbergian array of questionable decisions on everyone's part.

Option two is that she just heard about it from Beam. Beam was her spy all along, Beam was watching Denji this whole time, he's too scared of Makima to try anything, and he's very good at going undetected, seeing as Reze didn't know anything about him until he turned up for the save.

Occam's razor suggests option 2.

Which means that Denji just yelled out his plans to betray Makima right in front of her spy. Including where an enemy asset was going to be. Makima wasn't just waiting there because Denji might leave. It was also the only place where her agent had heard Reze might be. If Reze went to ground, she'd vanish. If Reze went for Denji, her location was, for once, clear to Public Safety.

It also means Makima knew Denji was violating orders and attempting to quit, and , so far at least, didn't even bring it up despite telling Aki that Denji was a dead man the second he stepped out of line. Which is in keeping with how Makima didn't do anything when Denji suggested running in chapter 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rereading from the start over Christmas holidays and for Pochita's introduction I had forgotten he shows up hurt. Look like bullet wounds to me.

e:

Also I'm pretty sure this is the future Sword Devil

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 27, 2019