Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thinking that kid was gonna be a new character was being generous when the truth was it was disney just back-patting the bold new stance of 'finally anyone can be a jedi!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hazo posted:

lmao holy poo poo, I completely forgot all about that until your post. I wonder if we’ll ever learn what the gently caress the original plan for that was

My take was "The Force Has Awakened, done its poo poo/Shower/Shave, Gotten Dressed and is now at work." AKA there's going to be a fuckton of people displaying Force abilities now. Rey, who presumably has the Jedi books but not that crusted over Jedi perspective can train these new people. The fact that she was able to obtain true closure with Palpatine and Ben makes her more emotionally capable as teacher in contrast to Luke's "manipulated into being a living revenge weapon" situation.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 21, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bogus Adventure posted:

:agreed:

It's Baby Groot for Star Wars, and I hate it.

BB-8 was already getting too old.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I didn't like the last jedi and found the sexual tension between Rey and Kylo dumb but I know how "shippers" like to turn sociopathic monsters into troubled bad boys in need of love.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I have been howling along with this thread but drat, I thought this was quite enjoyable.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gaunab posted:

I didn't like the last jedi and found the sexual tension between Rey and Kylo dumb but I know how "shippers" like to turn sociopathic monsters into troubled bad boys in need of love.

shippers correctly understand the OT's message that no one is beyond redemption

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

2house2fly posted:

The plan was to show that anyone can be a superhero. Not everything is setting up an insane epic plot twist, some things just exist to exist on their own
Thanks to TROS we now know he was... uh... great-nephew? To... uh.... Mace Windu!

No one is just some rando force user.

No one's mentioning that Sheev's kid was like "No. gently caress you space dad! All you do is pay attention to your sith gimp. I'm not taking up the family business. I'm going off to nowheresville."

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

TulliusCicero posted:

This is JJ Abrams we are talking about. Even without Palps, "big villain superweapon" is all he knows

Sure, but he did not write this. Idk who really did. I know Terrios name is on it but this is Disney so it probably went through a thousand hands during production. It also sounds like it was written way before JJ was hired.

I also dont have a hateboner for JJ at all so I dont really feel the need to blame him for anything. I have liked everything he has made, yes even Into Darkness. I love BvS too so this shoulda been an easy mark for me given the talent behind it.

Ultimately it comes down to the suits being cowards. Star Wars is no longer an expression of anything other than the desire to turn a profit. TLJ at least had a voice and a vision and something to say, whether you liked it or not. They saw the overstated fandom backlash and China not really caring about SW as a threat to their already dwindling profit margins so they course corrected and made whatever this is.

Its just a bummer. Its just fear and money that guides Star Wars now.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Brother Entropy posted:

Then Kylo should have made out with the emperor.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

moist turtleneck posted:

isnt rey and kylo kissing basically incest since kylos grandpa was a palp

I think it’s much more likely that Plagueis created Anakin (or that Anakin’s birth was truly miraculous) than it is that Palpatine did it. Even if he did, Anakin doesn’t necessarily share his DNA.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Gaunab posted:

Then Kylo should have made out with the emperor.

that relationship actually is problematic because of the (unlimited) power imbalance

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
it would have been better if rey pulled ben out of the hole and he had the second laser sword and he created the x to kill palpatine

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this movie had a giant blue laser, just like all the comic book movies!

also I'd already been like "I can't believe this poo poo" when they kissed, but when he fell back and FADED AWAY I loving laughed in the theater, so incredibly corny

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Brother Entropy posted:

the redemption is fine, it's just, the reward didn't need to be incest

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
episode 2: "this weapon is your life!"

episode 6: luke throws away his laser sword

episode 8: luke throws away his laser sword, then pretends to hold onto his laser sword to troll his nephew

episode 9: luke: actually it's very important that i hold onto my laser sword

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

it's like doggerel, it rhymes

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hazo posted:

When I first saw Rey’s new saber I thought it looked a really short double bladed saber. Is it not? It makes no sense for it to be if we’re done with that story.

I think it is the central part of her actual staff

Sorry if this was pointed out before but never read :justpost:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pollyanna posted:

I still don't understand why people are calling this "a fine ending to the new trilogy". It loving sucks as an ending!

name post combo lol

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Bleck posted:

the redemption is fine, it's just, the reward didn't need to be incest

I also feel like redemption doesn't mean that everyone ignores all the poo poo you did before, which with Kylo was quite the mountain of poo poo.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this movie had a giant blue laser, just like all the comic book movies!

also I'd already been like "I can't believe this poo poo" when they kissed, but when he fell back and FADED AWAY I loving laughed in the theater, so incredibly corny

That was great. "Finally snogged the hot girl. Now I can die happy." So he did.

I remember after Carrie Fisher died thinking that they'd bring in Thrawn to be the elder commander/statement and being kind of disappointed that they were bringing Billy Dee Williams back instead.

And now I am so loving relieved that Thrawn was kept far away from this thing that looks like it's about to crater like one of those Star Destroyers.

If we get a Rian Johnson trilogy centered on Thrawn, that will rock like an asteroid field.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
whens the new Auralnauts ep on this come out?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Since you seem to have the wrong idea, I was neither angry nor did I ever think he would be a main character. I just expected it to be, yknow, maybe referenced again since it was the closing shot of a huge movie.

Brother Entropy posted:

thinking that kid was gonna be a new character was being generous when the truth was it was disney just back-patting the bold new stance of 'finally anyone can be a jedi!'
Yeah, it was this, but I still wonder.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

oof this thread is gonna be garbo for a while with all these TLJ liking terrible taste havers coming in to gloat as if the new lovely movie somehow vindicates their different but also lovely movie

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's actually a shame that the new movie does such a bad job of following up on The Last Jedi, as it means TLJ must be viewed in isolation to get the most out of it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mandrel posted:

oof this thread is gonna be garbo for a while with all these TLJ liking terrible taste havers coming in to gloat as if the new lovely movie somehow vindicates their different but also lovely movie

There's really only one goon posting here who's done this (from what I've seen).

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The sole qualification for a good Star Wars movie is how much time Palpatine is on screen. Now you might say, wouldn't this make TPM better than ANH and ESB? Well. you said it not me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
poor keri russell

reduced to a walking helmet

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Everyone remembers where they were the first time they heard the title drop: when Luke says "I will not be the last Jedi," the power of hope reaching out of the very film itself to refute the pessimism of the title. Genius. Maybe some day another Star Wars film will be made with the level of artistry displayed by Rian Johnson... nothing is impossible, after all.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

poor keri russell

reduced to a walking helmet

First Gwendoline Christie, then Keri Russell (and Lupita Nyong'o, in a way)

So, did the Ewoks get wiped out like everyone was hoping?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I miss The Last Jedi.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Kylo's redemption in TROS makes Luke come off as such a petty rear end in a top hat to Kylo in his fight. It didn't even initially make sense for Luke taunt and antagonize Kylo at all, especially given Luke's infinite patience towards his father. But it now turns out that Kylo could be redeemed, it makes Luke even dumber.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

LinYutang posted:

Kylo's redemption in TROS makes Luke come off as such a petty rear end in a top hat to Kylo in his fight. It didn't even initially make sense for Luke taunt and antagonize Kylo at all, especially given Luke's infinite patience towards his father. But it now turns out that Kylo could be redeemed, it makes Luke even dumber.

Emperor Palps: "Good. Gooooood."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hazo posted:

Since you seem to have the wrong idea, I was neither angry nor did I ever think he would be a main character. I just expected it to be, yknow, maybe referenced again since it was the closing shot of a huge movie.

I was using the tweet to bolster the notion that not everything in a film is meant to be a lead-in or plot hook. The idea of the kid at the end of the TLJ being anything more than a reflection of the themes established in the movie shows just how much most media consumers have been manipulated into feeling that everything must be connected or set up in some fashion in order to be justifiably good and/or satisfying, otherwise if it's not then they find it meaningless/pointless.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
All I did was wonder about it you fuckin nerd lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The first episode was great and Dandelion is fantastic.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

2house2fly posted:

The lack of any real ideology makes even the good bits of TLJ kind of hollow. Like Rey says "tell them to stop firing on the fleet" and Kylo says "it's time to let old things die" and Rey says "please don't go this way"... what way? Why does he want to destroy the fleet? What does he want to do now that he's supreme leader? Rey just seems to intuitively understand that by usurping Snoke Kylo is evil, and joining him would make her evil too. Why?! Maybe he's going to implement space communism and give everyone a pony! You didn't ask him!

The problem is we never once get a sense of the stakes involved in this trilogy, or even where the majority of the action takes place

Has the FO conquered the entire galaxy, or is the Republic just ignoring this invasion because it's mostly outer rim planets and who cares? They say something about a Cold War in Force Awakens that the Republic doesn't want to break, but then the FO blows up NotCoriscant (tm) so why is the Republic not bringing their full force to bear on the FO after that point?

Did they surrender? what planets have the FO established full control over? They just seem like a roving marauding fleet. I never know what the gently caress is going on and why, and it's confounding

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

2house2fly posted:

It's actually a shame that the new movie does such a bad job of following up on The Last Jedi, as it means TLJ must be viewed in isolation to get the most out of it.

Imagine watching Rise of Skywalker in isolation, lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Davros1 posted:

They explicitly show that there are Ewoks alive.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The Kid from the end of TLJ died while being forced to recapture the space greyhounds FN and Rose released. Bonked in the noggin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Davros1 posted:

Alas, no. We see a couple of the fuzzy little bastards at the end watching a Star Destroyer get blown up.

I liked The Last Jedi. I liked it better than any movie in the main Star Wars series save The Empire Strikes Back. But I haven't hated any of the movies - except possibly Attack of the Clones. Even that gets more mockery than venom from me. I thought The Force Awakens was derivative but still enjoyable. And I enjoyed The Rise of Skywalker too. I just can't remember the more enjoyable parts.

Five minutes after leaving the theater, I remembered feeling moved by parts of the movie. And even feeling wonder. But I could not for the life of me remember the actual scenes that had produced those feelings. Figure there's a decent chance that I'll have forgotten a lot of the questions and goofy stuff from this movie as well. I suspect that in the long run, the thing that will stick with me the longest is that once upon a time, Palpatine had sex with a woman.