Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Brawnfire posted:

That was great. I had that one.

Weirdly my favorite part of it is that it came with a top hat and a proper villainy-looking face, monocle and all. Precious items in my bin!

Edit: actually, now that I look, it came with this guy:

Freddie Mercury?

Pyroclastic posted:

Fox's Lego Masters contestant teams have been announced:
https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/12/22/lego-masters-reality-show-announces-teams-including-some-familiar-faces-news/

I hope this isn't an adversarial show.

Kind of disappointed Liz Lemon isn't on this.

RO-BOT PE-NIS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That set is begging for a modern MOC remake that makes people suddenly love it again.

Like all those super greebly classic space ones that people do.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My hunt for Ninjago City continues, calling around every Lego store when they open to see if they’ve received it on the delivery. Apparently it’s back ordered at the warehouse too, so there’s no guarantee it’ll ever show up now. :saddowns:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Wow. Up until Black Friday when it completely sold out I was kicking myself for not waiting for the price to bottom out completely- now I’m grateful just to have it with the comparatively small discount I got it and Docks for.

They’re still unopened waiting for space on my table to open up. Still a lot of old sets to build. Everything old before anything new is my mission.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

My hunt for Ninjago City continues, calling around every Lego store when they open to see if they’ve received it on the delivery. Apparently it’s back ordered at the warehouse too, so there’s no guarantee it’ll ever show up now. :saddowns:

Just bite the bullet and buy it on ebay now. The price is only going to go up from here. Sucks that you missed it when it was $100 off. But you can still get it for close to retail.

There's a chance it will show up again at a discounted price. But it is a gamble.

I hope you get it. :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve also got $150 in VIP points I need to spend by the end of the year, which I was going to spend on Ninjago City. So, if I don’t find it by, say, Dec 29th, I guess I’ll spend them on Assembly square or something?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They expire?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yes! You should get an email in October or November saying you’ve got points expiring at the end of the year if they are.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah. I've used my points each year. Save up until Jan, then use them to lop a chunk off the modular. Repeat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MOC update. Came back from the weekend at my parents and decided my Tumbler had a bunch of problems so I redesigned about half of it tonight. Tbh when I first posted it I didn't post a side view because it looked like absolute dog poo poo from the side. I realized tonight it was 2 studs too short which was not only giving it a super chibi look, but was causing the windshields to not line up right like they were sunken in and didn't connect to anything. I also didn't really build anything on the sides of the canopy which made it look too much like a regular car.

Kind of felt like making it two studs longer was this "aha" moment and everything just fit together and it started to look right. Really happy with how the front end is looking now. it also gave me room to do the side intakes, which I previously left off out of necessity. One little thing I'm really proud of that I can't show in photos is that pushing the bat symbol launches the roof off so you can put minifigs in now. Think I'm like 90% done though.

Now I just need to build the interior and clean up the area behind the side windows and intakes so it gels better, when I can dig the parts out, then take proper pics.

Lol sorry the differences probably seem subtle to someone who isn't me but I think it's a huge improvement from what I last posted.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like the fan mounted on top of the cabin. Too bad it's not black, too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It makes it go really fast but only in reverse.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

tuo posted:

I enjoyed m-tron a lot, but whatever the space theme was called that had the train? I'm pretty sure I spent over a hundred hours with that one. I think I somehow managed to force my parents to buy me the train set a second time, and I spent entire days building new space train stations, only to rip them apart the moment everything was working, to build even larger ones.

I actually reversed that theme by no longer building cool space train stations, but actually moving space cities, which taxed the motors so much they could no longer move them up a sloped track.

It was like space mortal engines on tracks.

e: it was 6990 : Future Monorail

I really want to get the space Monorails, but the cheapest used complete sets on Bricklink are $305 for 6990 and $332 for 6991. Looks like they very occasionally sell for less than $300 on ebay, but I'd probably need to camp the search results to get them. I suspect I'll only ever get them by being extraordinarily lucky at a garage sale.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Captain Invictus posted:

(but really the best lego robot set wasn't even in the space line)

Did you forget that Voltron exists!?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Lego Voltron is a statue, not a robot :colbert:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I guess I should have realized the big discounts would make Ninjago City so hard to find. I'm used to it having been plenty available for years now. Very sorry to anyone who misses their chance for what I believe is my favorite set of all time.

Also, my father in law just got me the Creator Mustang, so now I need to free up so much space on my shelf. Blessing/curse time!

edit: also about to spend so much god drat money on Bricklink for a big ol' build I just finished designing. I think I'll stick with lil cars after this

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My friend's kid LOVES Ninjago and has been lucky to get every set released to date. I'll try to snap a few pics when I get over there but he has this pretty epic setup in the basement.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
I ordered a used Titan XP on Bricklink, y’all got me. It’s got lots of parts the kids can use, yeah that’s why I got it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Carbohydrates posted:

I guess I should have realized the big discounts would make Ninjago City so hard to find. I'm used to it having been plenty available for years now. Very sorry to anyone who misses their chance for what I believe is my favorite set of all time.

It happens. It and the Docks really didn’t seem like big sellers despite how incredible they both are- hence probably why they aren’t adding anything more to the NC line. Too bad because it’s an incredible aesthetic that I think is actually superior to the Town modulars.

Similar thing happened with me and the newer Guggenheim- it was clearing out at 20% off and my store had it in stock for a long time. Then when I went to get it, they were all gone. I recently just paid almost double the on-sale price to get one sealed in box.

Used Skulls Eye Schooner arrived yesterday. I won’t be able to build any of the stuff I’ve gotten lately til the new year sadly...

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I’m blown away how much cheaper it is to have lego shipped from Europe than the US, and Eastern Europe is almost an order of magnitude cheaper than western.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The selection of parts you can get out of eastern europe is pretty bonkers too. I really beefed up my classic space options from a couple ukranian sellers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah, it’s been basically shelfwarming for the whole year, and now I want it, it’s gone. :saddowns:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You don't know what you've got, til it's gone.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Cojawfee posted:

You don't know what you've got, til it's gone.

Paved paradise, sold out of Ninjago Docks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

By the way while I was looking at Adventurers stuff yesterday I came upon this build I thought was pretty:

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/07/04/float-away-from-sam-sinister-in-this-adventurously-colorful-hot-air-balloon/

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, it’s been basically shelfwarming for the whole year, and now I want it, it’s gone. :saddowns:

It me with Brick Bank. :smith:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Pyroclastic posted:

I really want to get the space Monorails, but the cheapest used complete sets on Bricklink are $305 for 6990 and $332 for 6991. Looks like they very occasionally sell for less than $300 on ebay, but I'd probably need to camp the search results to get them. I suspect I'll only ever get them by being extraordinarily lucky at a garage sale.

To be honest, for that kind of price, I would just go ahead and get it. I think the monorails are quite sought after sets, so I don't see those prices going down any time soon really.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Hey LEGO people, I have questions about selling completed sets.

I have a number of the older modular building sets sitting up in my parent’s attic. I believe I have around five or six in total (Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, etc). Seeing as I’d like to pay off my credit card and simply have no room for them in my house, I’m thinking of selling them off.

Of the sets, all are fully built outside of one, I think the Fire Brigade, still new in box. The boxes I’m sure are long gone, though I might be able to find the manuals.

My question is basically, what’s the best way of selling/shipping completed builds? Do you try and keep them intact, break them up into smaller chunks, or just throw the whole thing in the box and not worry about the end outcome? The idea of having to take the whole thing apart and separate pieces makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I feel like part of the building experience is building it from a completely disassembled state; personally I have never received used/secondhand lego that was still intactly built. It also allows you to ship in a smaller package than a partially assembled set would, especially if you don't have the boxes (which you could flat-pack to save space if you had them).

So yes, disassemble. It's what brick separators are made for.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I feel like part of the building experience is building it from a completely disassembled state; personally I have never received used/secondhand lego that was still intactly built. It also allows you to ship in a smaller package than a partially assembled set would, especially if you don't have the boxes (which you could flat-pack to save space if you had them).

So yes, disassemble. It's what brick separators are made for.
This, but photograph them fully assembled first so buyers can see all the pieces are indeed there.

FWIW, unless you are sorting the pieces, taking sets apart (with a separator) doesn't take that much time. Put on a movie and knock a few out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Amazon has the Mega Bloks NCC-1701 Enterprise with a decent discount (on sale for $75, ~$100 everywhere else) at the moment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARGB91K

Looks like a decent build.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 25, 2019

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Lego Voltron is a statue, not a robot :colbert:

Speaking of, I feel like I missed out on the Voltron by a matter of days - I saw it available on toys r us (canada) website, then I checked back like a day or two later for it to be totally gone. Lego.com and amazon.ca both don't have it available. (Outside of re-sellers on the latter.)

I held off on getting it so long because Im not big into Voltron, but a friend showed off theirs and it got me interested again. Ah well, this is probably better for my wallet.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Amazon has the Mega Bloks NCC-1701 Enterprise with a decent discount (on sale for $75, ~$100 everywhere else) at the moment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARGB91K

jangbricks did a review on it if you’re interested
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pBTDi_qJCnU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m having an inner monologue battle about whether to get Parisian.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Hey LEGO people, I have questions about selling completed sets.

I have a number of the older modular building sets sitting up in my parent’s attic. I believe I have around five or six in total (Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, etc). Seeing as I’d like to pay off my credit card and simply have no room for them in my house, I’m thinking of selling them off.

Of the sets, all are fully built outside of one, I think the Fire Brigade, still new in box. The boxes I’m sure are long gone, though I might be able to find the manuals.

My question is basically, what’s the best way of selling/shipping completed builds? Do you try and keep them intact, break them up into smaller chunks, or just throw the whole thing in the box and not worry about the end outcome? The idea of having to take the whole thing apart and separate pieces makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it.

Find the manuals. If you can't find them, buy them again. It will raise the value of the set.

Disassemble the sets and bag them based on their manual bag #s. Make sure the sets are 100% complete. If they aren't, buy the missing pieces.

This may seem like a hassle, but those are high value sets. If I bought one and it wasn't complete, I would be upset. And if you sell on ebay, you, as the seller, are liable. The buyer could ship it back and you would be out shipping both ways.

So if you sell something you know is 100% complete, you can be confident your buyer will be happy.

And disassembling is actually quite satisfying. It's basically building, but in reverse (and a bit faster.)

Or send them all to me.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Find the manuals. If you can't find them, buy them again. It will raise the value of the set.

Disassemble the sets and bag them based on their manual bag #s. Make sure the sets are 100% complete. If they aren't, buy the missing pieces.

This may seem like a hassle, but those are high value sets. If I bought one and it wasn't complete, I would be upset. And if you sell on ebay, you, as the seller, are liable. The buyer could ship it back and you would be out shipping both ways.

So if you sell something you know is 100% complete, you can be confident your buyer will be happy.

And disassembling is actually quite satisfying. It's basically building, but in reverse (and a bit faster.)

Or send them all to me.

I actually found both the manuals and boxes in decent to good condition when at my parent’s for Christmas tonight.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll have to disassemble and catalog things sometime after the new year when I have a little bit of free time. The one new in box turned out to be the Pet Shop set. Not as pricey as some of the older sets, but still worth a decent bit.I can at least toss that one up on eBay as is.

As is, I have Market Street, Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, and Grand Emporium all complete. Still think Green Grocer was my favorite.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
All complete that is approximately $3k.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

gently caress it, knee deep in egg nog and dropped buncha money in stuff for my truck as a Christmas gift to myself what’s another $75

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I actually found both the manuals and boxes in decent to good condition when at my parent’s for Christmas tonight.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll have to disassemble and catalog things sometime after the new year when I have a little bit of free time. The one new in box turned out to be the Pet Shop set. Not as pricey as some of the older sets, but still worth a decent bit.I can at least toss that one up on eBay as is.

As is, I have Market Street, Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, and Grand Emporium all complete. Still think Green Grocer was my favorite.

Why not try to sell it here before eBay? Some of us would be really interested...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

Why not try to sell it here before eBay? Some of us would be really interested...

I'd love to get Market Street and Cafe Corner to complete my modular collection, but I'm not willing to spend anywhere near their going rates! (Currently: $500 for Cafe corner with no instructions but 100% complete (several $400-480 sales are missing minifigs or easily replaceable parts); $530+ for Market Street).
I'd rather spend a bit more and get a UCS Falcon.