Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

The Little Death posted:

Having just seen it.....

Cats is better than Rise of the Skywalker

SW movies have really failed to deliver on uncomfortably sexual cat people, despite science-fiction's glorious history on that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

General Dog posted:

I there a reason they were skipping into heavily populated areas instead of just different spots empty space? They had to be doing it on purpose, if you can skip anywhere in the galaxy randomly the odds are astronomically against coming out near a planet. It was so poorly defined how the TIE’s were even following them

You could come up with a lot of stuff surrounding that scene that makes it work better, but uhhh nope

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

I said come in! posted:

It's not explained at all. There's no ships that we are aware of that would allow him to leave. Just meant to accept it.

Maybe he just teleported, since apparently that's a thing that the Force can do now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Just Chamber posted:

People always say oh after TLJ JJ could have done this or that, that there were so many threads left for him to latch onto conveniently forgetting that Rian made a film that answered zero questions from TFA and essentially made a film that just spun its wheels to nowhere. There was no good jumping off point set up in TLJ. They're both just loving awful writers but good directors. This film felt super rushed but I still think JJ is a good director he just shouldn't be near the script.

I wouldn't say 0 threads based on finding out what Luke was doing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Just Chamber posted:

This film felt super rushed but I still think JJ is a good director he just shouldn't be near the script.

I mean the bad pacing is evident in TFA, and really all of JJ's stuff. The man isn't a good director. I thought he was at least decent at cinematography because there are some memorable shots in TFA but there's nothing in this film so he can't even do that.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1210197805383311362

saw this retweeted in the ol' timeline and then saw this in the replies

https://twitter.com/ConceptHuman/status/1210326840323256320

which one of you is this

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Just Chamber posted:

People always say oh after TLJ JJ could have done this or that, that there were so many threads left for him to latch onto conveniently forgetting that Rian made a film that answered zero questions from TFA and essentially made a film that just spun its wheels to nowhere. There was no good jumping off point set up in TLJ. They're both just loving awful writers but good directors. This film felt super rushed but I still think JJ is a good director he just shouldn't be near the script.

TLJ did answer TFA questions. What will Luke do when he meets Rey? Why did Luke gently caress off for so long that even his best friends cant find him? Which also gives an answer for why Ben became Kylo. Who is Rey? Some ppl didnt like those answers but they dont poopoo the star war story to have them answered. When i was a kid i wasnt watching star wars to find out who lukes dad was or who vader really is or where the emperor came from or some poo poo. those types of questions were meaningless to me.

The movie ends with Luke inspiring the galaxy (after the galaxy failed to heed the resistances call) and the resistance resolute to reform and stop the first order. We also learn that weapon manufacturers are profiting off the star wars. And its been said a bunch but the FO losing its strong willed leader to be replaced by an unhinged kylo and rabid cur Hux who hate each other.

Man thats a great jumping off point. TROS could have been a fun romp around the galaxy as finn rey and poe amass the newly inspired ppl to rise up. Rose could be going around loving up the means of production.

the fact that TROS put lando and the falcon riding around the core systems gathering followers to an offscreen event that takes 5 minutes is criminal. It should have been the heart of the story!

IMO ep9 should have been finn turning the legions of FO troopers against their masters, Rey turning Kylo, Rose and the resistance destroying war industry and ending with the true believers like Hux being defeated in whatever final battle you want.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If Rise of Skywalker really wanted to present a clear narrative thread through all three movies it should have been about Rose Tico and Maz Kanata saving the galaxy together.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Zoran posted:

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1210197805383311362

saw this retweeted in the ol' timeline and then saw this in the replies

https://twitter.com/ConceptHuman/status/1210326840323256320

which one of you is this

It me, and I'm glad this of all became my famous post

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

No Mods No Masters posted:

It me, and I'm glad this of all became my famous post

I meant which goon is posting screenshots of this thread to twitter, I knew it was your post

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Jerkface posted:

TLJ did answer TFA questions. What will Luke do when he meets Rey? Why did Luke gently caress off for so long that even his best friends cant find him? Which also gives an answer for why Ben became Kylo. Who is Rey? Some ppl didnt like those answers but they dont poopoo the star war story to have them answered. When i was a kid i wasnt watching star wars to find out who lukes dad was or who vader really is or where the emperor came from or some poo poo. those types of questions were meaningless to me.

The movie ends with Luke inspiring the galaxy (after the galaxy failed to heed the resistances call) and the resistance resolute to reform and stop the first order. We also learn that weapon manufacturers are profiting off the star wars. And its been said a bunch but the FO losing its strong willed leader to be replaced by an unhinged kylo and rabid cur Hux who hate each other.

Man thats a great jumping off point. TROS could have been a fun romp around the galaxy as finn rey and poe amass the newly inspired ppl to rise up. Rose could be going around loving up the means of production.

the fact that TROS put lando and the falcon riding around the core systems gathering followers to an offscreen event that takes 5 minutes is criminal. It should have been the heart of the story!

IMO ep9 should have been finn turning the legions of FO troopers against their masters, Rey turning Kylo, Rose and the resistance destroying war industry and ending with the true believers like Hux being defeated in whatever final battle you want.

Yeah this is basically the movie I would've wanted as a follow up. In some ways you could even call it TLJ but with the politics properly bludgeons to where they should be where it's about the working class and little people rising up.

Which RoS tried to even have, but obviously it fails because it's about the importance of dynastic lineages.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I can't wait till the infomaps pngs just showing up showing where everybody was at different points of this film. And also, to aid this thread's queries, what ship they were driving.
Also, I saw TFA three times in cinema, TLJ twice and this one once. And I think that just fits right. The next star wars film I will see 0 times. And then the one after that I will see -1 times.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Eimi posted:

Yeah this is basically the movie I would've wanted as a follow up. In some ways you could even call it TLJ but with the politics properly bludgeons to where they should be where it's about the working class and little people rising up.

Which RoS tried to even have, but obviously it fails because it's about the importance of dynastic lineages.

whats amazing is you could materially keep the same cast as TROS because you have jannah and the former stormtroopers as the up close stand in for the legions. I like Finn hinting that the force woke him up and thats one thing i wish had been more blatant in tfa or carried through to tlj which is the force reaching out to Finn. He could be a jedi whose force gift is awakening others from their mind control, and granting him martial prowess kind of building on KOTORs battle meditation or the EU Leias force ability to govern and inspire.

Also kills me that force ghost Luke shows up twice and both are on planets he hated. He should have given Rey her third lesson and been an annoying angel on Kylos shoulder the entire film. could have been great with hammils comedic range.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Just Chamber posted:

I mean Rian took a big poo poo on JJ's work so I dont begrudge him the right to poo poo back

I didn't really see Johnson's movie taking a poo poo on TFA. TFA was "A New Hope with some of the serial numbers filed off." So, The Last Jedi kind of needed to be a version of The Empire Strikes Back. To that end we see the First Order retaliating against the Resistance by attacking their base, like on Hoth. But it gets changed up a bit with Poe pulling the usual rogue, heroic cowboy move that... fucks up, losing them their bombers to take out a First Order ship that the First Order can clearly afford to lose while also delaying the escape. Because of that loss and delay, the FO can track the Resistance through hyperspace and maintains a ruthless pursuit which will cost the Resistance dearly through the rest of the movie.

Rey is on Planet Porg (don't recall the name) to learn the ways of the Force from a great Jedi Master who will be not at all what she expected - much as it was with Luke learning from Yoda. This gets changed up a bit because this Luke is bitter and resentful, filled with anger at Snoke, the universe and himself. Because after Palpatine fell, he tried to teach young padawans they ways of the Jedi, only to see his sister's only child fall to the Dark Side and his students corrupted and/or murdered. So you can understand why Luke's attitude is "The Jedi were failures who sucked rear end."

Plus, we've seen the prequel trilogy now and we can assume that Luke has learned the true history of what happened to the old Jedi order (he's presumably still on speaking terms with Kenobi, Yoda and his own father even if they're ghosts). So he (and we) knows that the Jedi were rigid, controlling, far more interested in stability than justice and also kind of... stupid. So Luke trying to sell the Jedi as a great tradition of heroes and saviors is something that would have provoked snickers from anyone familiar with the prequel trilogy.

One of the cooler things about TFA is the way it explored how Rey and Finn were a couple of extremely lonely, disconnected people who found each other. Rey eked out a solitary existence on Jakku, only coming into a settlement to trade salvaged parts for supplies. Despite being part of a unit, Finn clearly did not feel a part of the First Order and seized the first half-chance he saw with Poe to flee it. And then Poe "died." And Finn met Rey. They connected. And then all sorts of other poo poo happened that kept their connection from being fully explored or even defined, even if Finn clearly saw it as romantic.

At the start of TLJ, Finn wakes from his coma to find Rey gone to find Luke and the Resistance in deep poo poo. His main concern is preserving Rey and his connection to her. His arc in that movie is to develop connections with other people instead of just the one girl he happened to meet cute with.

As for Rey, she finds a weird and unexpected connection with Kylo Ren, as he does with her. They're both lonely people. She was abandoned by her parents on a strange world. He followed the wrong teacher and destroyed all the positive relationships in his life, even killing his own father. Of course Rey and Kylo each see their connection as something a little different from what it actually is. Rey sees a chance to bring Kylo back to the light. Leia is kind of her new "mom" at this point. What better Space Mother's Day present than bringing her son back to her. For his part Kylo sees Rey as a partner. Dark Queen to his Dark King. Or at least Space Bonnie to his Space Clyde. But they can both agree that Snoke needs to go, so Kylo kills that fucker in one of the movie's best scenes.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Lol, remember how the ST opens with FN breaking his conditioning? Glad that became such a strong theme, rofl.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jerkface posted:

Disney would never let this happen and you drat well know why.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That'd rule but no chance Disney would let it happen. Fun mental image is the iconic Che Guevera stencil, but it's Jar Jar.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

well why not posted:

That'd rule but no chance Disney would let it happen. Fun mental image is the iconic Che Guevera stencil, but it's Jar Jar.

this thread keeps taunting me with amazing ideas i will never see

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait, why did this thread suddenly explode over 200+ posts since last night?

please tell me it was for a good reason :ohdear:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

The reason is that more people are reaching the immortal truth that the prequels are good and the sequels are not

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mr Interweb posted:

More people have seen the new movie and hated it, and we got to talking about what Zoran mentioned.

Yo, has Disney said anything about public reception to the movie? It seems mixed at best. I get that it's got like an 86% audience score on RT, but Metacritic and IMDB are way lower, and it really does seem like there's a 50/50 on whether people like it or not. Plus, people seem to be leaning towards not liking it on rewatches.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Imagine rewatching this poo poo.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

its been out for less than a week man

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
The prequels have good thematic ideas, but are incompetently made to the point of unwatchability. The sequels have 2 safe, terrible movies, and one flawed masterpiece (TLJ).

Overall I respect the prequels more as a whole, but none of them are a quarter as good as TLJ at its worst.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

More people have seen the new movie and hated it, and we got to talking about what Zoran mentioned.

Yo, has Disney said anything about public reception to the movie? It seems mixed at best. I get that it's got like an 86% audience score on RT, but Metacritic and IMDB are way lower, and it really does seem like there's a 50/50 on whether people like it or not. Plus, people seem to be leaning towards not liking it on rewatches.

If they ever say anything about it, it will be oblique. They’ll elaborate on how they want the series to “grow out of the trilogy structure” or “move away from the Skywalker era” or whatever, until such time as they want to mine this trilogy for nostalgia. Then you can look forward to Episode X: The Revival of Solo

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Pollyanna posted:

RT doesn't count half-star or one-star reviews when calculating that 86%. I wonder how the average would be if someone did.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The prequels are still bad with wooden acting and lovely dialogue, but I don't think they're as soulless as the sequels, which are more competent aside from the total lack of overall plotting. Maybe it's just that I'm older now, or that I know the backstory about Lucas selling the series to a megacorp that openly talked about churning out movies until after we're all dead, idk, but even though I dislike both trilogies, I think the hate Lucas got for the prequels was overblown, while I think Disney deserves theirs.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've been thinking about the thing that's been bugging me about episodes 7 to 9 vs 1 to 3 and its that the prequels, while not amazing, focused heavily around a lot of the main characters that were in the original trilogy.

The latest films though, those characters all kind of take a back seat to things, like the story isn't really about them anymore (in the same way the prequels were).

It's almost like we skipped the actual 7 to 9 and instead got a 6 hour long episode 10 which introduces the next generation while severing the old.

Would it be possible to cut out huge swathes of the latest 3 films and stitch together the remaining sections to coherently tell the story of Rey and Kylo vs Palpetine in just 2 hours?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kin posted:

I've been thinking about the thing that's been bugging me about episodes 7 to 9 vs 1 to 3 and its that the prequels, while not amazing, focused heavily around a lot of the main characters that were in the original trilogy.

The latest films though, those characters all kind of take a back seat to things, like the story isn't really about them anymore (in the same way the prequels were).

It's almost like we skipped the actual 7 to 9 and instead got a 6 hour long episode 10 which introduces the next generation while severing the old.

Would it be possible to cut out huge swathes of the latest 3 films and stitch together the remaining sections to coherently tell the story of Rey and Kylo vs Palpetine in just 2 hours?

Sometimes I wonder if they should have just recast the original characters and told their continuing stories from an earlier point. If these movies had come out 15 years later, I think there's a decent chance they would have, but with the original actors still alive and able to work at the start of the trilogy, I guess they decided that would be too weird and offputting. I still kind of think they should have recast Leia for this most recent one, but again I understand why they didn't.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jerkface posted:

The movie ends with Luke inspiring the galaxy (after the galaxy failed to heed the resistances call)

This didn't happen.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i would much rather have rants about sand than they fly now they fly now they fly now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zoran posted:

The reason is that more people are reaching the immortal truth that the prequels are good and the sequels are not

Both are terrible. Just delete all Star Wars except for the original trilogy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man I really don't get how people are saying TLJ poo poo on the TFA.

I also think it was a fine movie and did stuff well. Like can some people go over the issues exactly? I think RoS made a huge mistake when it tried to ignore everything about the TLJ and walk it back.

Snoke never needed to be more than a creepy dark side rear end in a top hat like the Emperor was back in RoTJ. And Kylo would have worked fine as the main villain of the last movie, there was no need to bring Palpatine back.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man I really don't get how people are saying TLJ poo poo on the TFA.

I also think it was a fine movie and did stuff well. Like can some people go over the issues exactly? I think RoS made a huge mistake when it tried to ignore everything about the TLJ and walk it back.

Snoke never needed to be more than a creepy dark side rear end in a top hat like the Emperor was back in RoTJ. And Kylo would have worked fine as the main villain of the last movie, there was no need to bring Palpatine back.

Johnson pretty clearly set out to demystify JJ's mystery boxes instead of answering them, and then when JJ went back and said actually there's something here after all, people got mad at him for retconning Johnson. If people like TLJ's approach better (ie you don't think it matters where Snoke or Rey came from), that's totally fine, but both of those movies undermine the one before them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sinteres posted:

Johnson pretty clearly set out to demystify JJ's mystery boxes instead of answering them, and then when JJ went back and said actually there's something here after all, people got mad at him for retconning Johnson. If people like TLJ's approach better (ie you don't think it matters where Snoke or Rey came from), that's totally fine, but both of those movies undermine the one before them.

How Snoke other than being scary was never set up as being a mystery. And there was nothing that suggested Rey had some Legacy. Honestly her parents just being some trash made perfect sense. Stuff could have been posthumously answered about Snoke.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TFA says literally nothing about Snoke or Rey, and they're blanks in a sentence.

TLJ chose to fill those blanks with "represents Kylo Ren's ties to the ongoing Jedi-Sith cycle and must be killed for him to ascend" and "is the child of junk traders who gave her away for drinking money, and all her power and greatness is achieved by her own self".

TROS erased what those blanks were filled in with, and replaced them with "Palpatine cloned him" and "Palpatine's granddaughter".

JJ is far, far worse at Yes, And than Rian Johnson will ever be. TROS is far, far worse to TLJ than TLJ ever was to TFA.

JJ Abrams loving sucks rear end.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

How Snoke other than being scary was never set up as being a mystery. And there was nothing that suggested Rey had some Legacy. Honestly her parents just being some trash made perfect sense. Stuff could have been posthumously answered about Snoke.

Literally everyone who watched the movie was speculating about her legacy the second they left the theater, and almost as many were wondering wtf was the deal with the new dark side guy who only appeared via hologram. Killing off Snoke the way Johnson did is just bad storytelling imo, even aside from whether or not it was disrespectful.

Pollyanna posted:

TFA says literally nothing about Snoke or Rey, and they're blanks in a sentence.

TLJ chose to fill those blanks with "represents Kylo Ren's ties to the ongoing Jedi-Sith cycle and must be killed for him to ascend" and "is the child of junk traders who gave her away for drinking money, and all her power and greatness is achieved by her own self".

TROS erased what those blanks were filled in with, and replaced them with "Palpatine cloned him" and "Palpatine's granddaughter".

JJ is far, far worse at Yes, And than Rian Johnson will ever be. TROS is far, far worse to TLJ than TLJ ever was to TFA.

JJ Abrams loving sucks rear end.

Like I said, I think it's totally fair to prefer Johnson's approach, but I don't think it's reasonable to pretend he didn't junk whatever he felt like junking from the previous movie, just like JJ felt free to retcon that to bring back the poo poo he wanted to bring back. Having a trilogy where the creators played tug of war with each other on the screen instead of behind the scenes is the dumbest poo poo ever, but it's what we got.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 27, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rian Johnson never said something didn't happen, he just elaborated on the details and explained what might be the case. I can't think of a single thing TLJ retconned.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Rian Johnson never said something didn't happen, he just elaborated on the details and explained what might be the case. I can't think of a single thing TLJ retconned.

Right, he just told us none of the poo poo we thought mattered actually mattered. In a bubble maybe that's fine, but in a trilogy bookended by the guy whose poo poo he decided didn't matter, I think he bears some responsibility for not finding a way to be on the same page. The people above his head deserve the most blame of anyone, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I love the handful of folks in the thread berating others for not suspending their disbelief when the films pulled stupid poo poo. The term doesn't imply a one-sided obligation on the audience, folks, it's something that good story writing is supposed to maintain and encourage. To quote RLM: "you may not have noticed it, but your brain did".

I'll add my vote for being "done with Star Wars". I went into the reboots cautiously optimistic because, even though I thought JJ had butchered Star Trek, he seemed like a good fit for Star Wars. And besides, there was absolutely no way Disney would buy Star Wars for billions of dollars only to negligently run the movies into the ground. TFA was a little fun, but the story was cringe-inducingly derivative and inexplicably made both sides seem like just a handful of goofballs in a couple of star systems.

The actors and actresses did great throughout—the material they were given to work with was just trash. Heads should roll at Disney and LucasFilm, but all the fuckers most responsible for this incredible failure will just trundle back to their mansions and get handed a position on the board of some other prominent company.

I said come in! posted:

Both are terrible. Just delete all Star Wars except for the original trilogy.
This.