Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The fact that there's this much debate over 2/5ths of a pound of meat when I do see a distressingly large number of scales in ounces is just one more reason why the metric system is superior by every conceivable measure.

This post brought to you by an American, in case anyone is doubting my authority on the stupidity of Freedom Units. And also, to be clear, the poster asking for 2/5ths is the rear end in a top hat.

edit: lovely snipe. Mods, please change either my name or the thread name to "2/5ths of a pound of meat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Warmachine posted:

The fact that there's this much debate over 2/5ths of a pound of meat when I do see a distressingly large number of scales in ounces is just one more reason why the metric system is superior by every conceivable measure.

This post brought to you by an American, in case anyone is doubting my authority on the stupidity of Freedom Units. And also, to be clear, the poster asking for 2/5ths is the rear end in a top hat.

edit: lovely snipe. Mods, please change either my name or the thread name to "2/5ths of a pound of meat"

I like the thread title, and changing a name requires an admin (and I cba to bother them) so, no.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What’s that old joke about Episcopalians? Where there’s 4 there’s a fifth?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its just kind of vaguely upsetting but im not sure why

This is what happens when the floor gets tiled first, then the engineer moves the wall outward 5cm. The floor tiler makes adjustments. Now the engineer moves the wall 5cm more, etc...

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Warmachine posted:

Metric doesn't stop someone from ordering 181 grams (18/100ths, 9/50ths of a kilo?) of bologna to be an rear end.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

B-Nasty posted:

Metric doesn't stop someone from ordering 181 grams (18/100ths, 9/50ths of a kilo?) of bologna to be an rear end.

This is justifiable homicide.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Ashcans posted:

As a 3/5s compromise go, pretty harmless.

:vince:

This didn't get the love it deserved

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

corgski posted:

The kind that knows asking for three fifths is in bad taste.

I don't understand, I order chicken thighs like that all the time.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Not really DIY, but not really OSHA and here seems to gather all blue collar fuckery

https://imgur.com/a/VayM9xx

They were setting up to work on the utility poles this fall. Along most of the street they spray painted markings in the road and put little plastic markers in the grass. And then there's here, where they filled half a pumpkin with asphalt and marked that instead. It has gotten more and more illegible as the structural gourd has declined

HelleSpud fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 27, 2019

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

stupid puma posted:

That’s my thought too. There’s a reason why timers rarely use large scale tile for a shower floor. I feel like this would have been a good situation for the use of a covered drain trough if they really felt the large floor tiles were necessary.

Exactly lol

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mycomancy posted:

Jesus Christ what kind of psychopath asks for two-fifths of one pound of meat? :psyduck:

Is that tare weight?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

HelleSpud posted:

Not really DIY, but not really OSHA and here seems to gather all blue collar fuckery

https://imgur.com/a/VayM9xx

They were setting up to work on the utility poles this fall. Along most of the street they spray painted markings in the road and put little plastic markers in the grass. And then there's here, where they filled half a pumpkin with asphalt and marked that instead. It has gotten more and more illegible as the structural gourd has declined

Sorry, wrong thread, that's amazing.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Late to the fraction chat, but I literally just got back from the grocery - the guy in front of me at the deli counter asked for $11 of cajun roasted turkey breast. It took exactly as long as it sounds like it would. :cry:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Goober Peas posted:

Late to the fraction chat, but I literally just got back from the grocery - the guy in front of me at the deli counter asked for $11 of cajun roasted turkey breast. It took exactly as long as it sounds like it would. :cry:

Stupid, but still not as stupid as the goon going up to a counter and asking for 7.345345345345345 ounces of meat.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol just lol
lol to all

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jaded Burnout posted:

I like the thread title, and changing a name requires an admin (and I cba to bother them) so, no.

Yo it took at least three extra seconds of my time to figure out cba meant can't be arsed. That's valuable poopin' time I can never get back now. Do you think you can just come in here with your fancy British acronyms you tosser? You absolute rotter? Get outta here with your high-falutin' limey bollocks - this is MURKA. We use MURKAN words. The fuckin' nerve.

P.S. so how's the house going

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mycomancy posted:

Stupid, but still not as stupid as the goon going up to a counter and asking for 7.345345345345345 ounces of meat.

Goon would have been way cooler if they'd asked for like .696969 pounds of meat. Or .420420 pounds or something.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Yo it took at least three extra seconds of my time to figure out cba meant can't be arsed.

I live to educate.

Do you think you can just come in here with your fancy British acronyms you tosser? You absolute rotter?

This switch in class voice gave me whiplash.

P.S. so how's the house going

I sometimes feel like I'm in the sad-music prologue of an episode of DIY SOS, but otherwise it's coming along about as well as it can. Living in a TODO list still takes a mental toll.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Sometimes I ask for a third of a pound of cheese AITA

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I don't... i don't understand... fractions of a pound? Am I the only one who orders two pounds of deli meat and a pound of sliced cheese and then proceed to eat them rolled up, no bread, just dipped straight in the mustard jar, 2 AM, in my underwear, in front of the open fridge door, like an animal?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

rndmnmbr posted:

I don't... i don't understand... fractions of a pound? Am I the only one who orders two pounds of deli meat and a pound of sliced cheese and then proceed to eat them rolled up, no bread, just dipped straight in the mustard jar, 2 AM, in my underwear, in front of the open fridge door, like an animal?

It's not the fractions, it's the bizarre combo of pounds (a poo poo system based on the number 4) and using a fraction with a 5 in the numerator.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Seriously who asks for 2/5 of a pound of anything lmao

E:

The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 27, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Do you think you can just come in here with your fancy British acronyms you tosser? You absolute rotter? Get outta here with your high-falutin' limey bollocks

Ese you gone done sound like a jive turkey, oy vey

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

brugroffil posted:

Seriously who asks for 2/5 of a pound of anything lmao

The absolute best part was how condescending Nevits was in his op about how stupid this deli counter girl was that he had to explain fractions and got a blank stare, when she was staring at him because he just asked for something incredibly stupid and nonsensical.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I legit order quarters and thirds 😰

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

People like you should be .25ed.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

PainterofCrap posted:

Is that tare weight?

Can't you see perpetuating this conversation will tare us apart?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Nenonen posted:

People like you should be .25ed.
A nice sentiment but real change comes from within, it can't be fourthed.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Quarter is totally fine because, again, the whole point of ounces is to cleanly get quarters, eights, and sixteenths of a pound.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It's not like poo poo from the deli is sliced in .01 pound increments, so you can always just ask for "a little less than a half pound" or "a little more than a quarter" or just, you know "six slices" if you need to be exact.

Don't make me go off on a tangent about how the metric system makes tons of sense for educated people, but imperial measurement made more sense for an uneducated population to get close enough.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

stealie72 posted:

Don't make me go off on a tangent about how the metric system makes tons of sense for educated people, but imperial measurement made more sense for an uneducated population to get close enough.

Explains why you still use it then :boom:

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

wesleywillis posted:

Goon would have been way cooler if they'd asked for like .696969 pounds of meat. Or .420420 pounds or something.

I want 420.69 ounces of meat

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Pound of white American thick cut, half pound of turkey normal cut, eighth of pancetta sliced micron thin.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

rndmnmbr posted:

it is the only way else renounce your goonship

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Pound of white American thick cut, half pound of turkey normal cut, eighth of pancetta sliced micron thin.

Gonna need that in thousandths.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

sleepy gary posted:

Gonna need that in thousandths.

Learned the other day that ten-thousandths are referred to as "tenths" by machinists, which is nice and helpful.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

Learned the other day that ten-thousandths are referred to as "tenths" by machinists, which is nice and helpful.

Also known as "mils"!

EDIT: whoops, my bad, off by a factor of 10. This would never have happened if we used the metric system.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 27, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Also known as "mils"!

I thought a mil was a thou D:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

I thought a mil was a thou D:
It is!

Also slightly confusing-getting lumber quoted as $/MBF which is thousand board feet not million board feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

At least we all agree on what a billion is these days.

(1 week of the US military budget)