Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

euphronius posted:

The Death Star scenes at least looked awesome

heh. you mean the arbitrarily large number of death stars sitting in park that can't fly anywhere or shoot at anything? yeah.. totally awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

2house2fly posted:

She wasn't sucked out by the vacuum of space, she was pushed out by air escaping through the hole in the hull :smuggo:

Oh my god stop applying physics to Star Wars.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gohmak posted:

Oh my god stop applying physics to Star Wars.

I had to keep telling myself that when they landed the horses on the Star destroyer. I was thinking why the ship didn’t just bank a little and let gravity do its job.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m still disappointed that more people didn’t suffer from watching this movie. I wanted to hear stories of children crying and people breaking their figurines.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

I’m still disappointed that more people didn’t suffer from watching this movie. I wanted to hear stories of children crying and people breaking their figurines.

You're hosed up in the brainspace friend

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Just Chamber posted:

Yea the sequels continuing the trend of the prequels by upping the power level of the force is a big mistake imo. For films that were supposed to be leaning more towards the OT it was weird they decided to treat the force users like they were marvel super heroes.

What’s interesting (read: “interesting”) is that, in the OT, the powers are simply treated like Donnie Yen walking through gunfire. It’s ‘just’ the power of belief, like The Little Engine Who Could, and Dumbo’s magic feather. Up until the point where Luke levitates a chair in front of a crowd, it’s never clear whether or not he’s dreaming. Even the chair thing is presented as a joke on the audience.

The PT then gives us the big midichlorian twist where the psychic powers are confirmed to objectively exist. It is scientifically proven that Luke was not dreaming, and ‘force powers’ are a physical force akin to magnetism. It’s like the transition from a typical ghost story to the de-spiritualized universe of Ghostbusters, where it turns out ghosts literally exist. They’re made of anti-protons and can be killed with a particle accelerator or whatever. Luke really can lift hundreds of pounds with his mind, and you can hook him up to a machine to test this.

So now, the ST begins with the premise the Rey is objectively the universe’s most powerful mutant and so-on. But, attempting to restore the spirituality of the OT, the filmmakers ask: what does Rey dream about? What happens when a demigod hallucinates? And so things just get incredibly bizarre as Rey imagines herself capable of stuff like instantaneous matter transmission, or the ability to self-duplicate and literally be in two places at once.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 29, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When Rey and Kylo dispatch all of the guards and knights of Ren, what would they have done if Palpatine, rather than attacking them, just said “okay fine, if you don’t want to kill me, then what?”

Would they just leave? Would they arrest him?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 29, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ruddiger posted:

I had to keep telling myself that when they landed the horses on the Star destroyer. I was thinking why the ship didn’t just bank a little and let gravity do its job.

They're related to Skyrim Horses and would've stayed on because...uhhhhhh...magnetic horseshoes

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Palpatine: “Kill me and absorb my essence to become the new blah blah blah.”

Rey: *kills Palpatine*

Rey killed Palpatine, ergo, Rey is Palpatine. Just because she says she killed him in the name of jesus the force, doesn’t mean she still didn’t murder his rear end with unrepentant righteous vengeance in her heart.

Just because she said a prayer before the murder doesn’t make it any less a murder.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

2house2fly posted:

The coolest mindbreaking Jedi thing is: why do they have lightsaber fights? They have mind powers! They can just use their mind powers to yank the lightsaber out of their opponent's hands, or like if you see your opponent at the opposite end of a sports stadium, just launch your lightsaber at them and use your mind powers to make them fight your disembodied lightsaber. Or you can do the same thing if you're up close, and so can they, leading to an insane situation where you're both standing 50 feet apart with your disembodied lightsabers in the middle frantically parrying each other

I don't remember where I heard this, but I remember a fan theory that the reason the lightsaber fights in the OT weren't incredibly kinetic was because the actual intense struggle was happening through the force. So Obi-Wan and Vader were having a very intense struggle with their psychic powers with only relatively slight movements with the swords reflecting that.

Of course most of the fights are intensely choreographed, so it doesn't hold up, and honestly it's better for visual storytelling that way. But the idea that there are metaphysical battles happening alongside the physical ones is sorta interesting, I think.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ruddiger posted:

Rey killed Palpatine, ergo, Rey is Palpatine. Just because she says she killed him in the name of jesus the force, doesn’t mean she still didn’t murder his rear end with unrepentant righteous vengeance in her heart.

Just because she said a prayer before the murder doesn’t make it any less a murder.

Why would the emotion she feels when killing him even matter? He was trying to get her to kill him to save her friends at one point! Wouldn't that mean she killed him with the wrong emotion?!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Palpatine doesn’t have any better grasp on the rules or what was going to happen than any of the rest of us; in that moment he was just trying to experience the Ultimate Orgasm.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

2house2fly posted:

Why would the emotion she feels when killing him even matter? He was trying to get her to kill him to save her friends at one point! Wouldn't that mean she killed him with the wrong emotion?!

"That's how we win. Not by fighting what we hate. Saving what we love."

Not sure what the difference is there, though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rey should’ve defeated Palpatine by kissing him.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Because JJ and Disney suck at storytelling. They definetely understood the theme of violence begetting violence, since at multiple instances Rey chooses peaceful solutions over fighting, unlike all the other characters. The one time she does use violence, she instantly regrets it and heals Kilo. All of this would seem to be pointing to a climactic confrontation where she chooses not to kill him, and in so doing put an end to this cycle of hatred and darkness. But they couldn't figure out how to do that so instead "he destroys himself" because she was holding the block button and dual-wielding.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

A big thing to remember about the reason they did not kill off Princess Leia in Episode 8 is that Carrie Fisher was not dead when they filmed it. It seems like the obvious thing to do once she died, but at the time they assumed her part in the next movie would be played by a living actress and not some leftover clippings of footage they found on the ground.

My other favourite complaint about Star Wars Episode 8 is Certified Physics Experts complaining about the lack of realism in the physics of Star Wars Episode 8 (which has never mattered in Star Wars, a series where spaceships act like boats and/or fighter planes depending on what works for the scene) while not understanding the concept of a vacuum.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What’s interesting (read: “interesting”) is that, in the OT, the powers are simply treated like Donnie Yen walking through gunfire. It’s ‘just’ the power of belief, like The Little Engine Who Could, and Dumbo’s magic feather. Up until the point where Luke levitates a chair in front of a crowd, it’s never clear whether or not he’s dreaming. Even the chair thing is presented as a joke on the audience.

And lifting a man from several feet away, choking him to death to the horror of the fascist warmakers who share the room with it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought it was pretty funny that they had Rey reference Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings in this one too.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

cargohills posted:

A big thing to remember about the reason they did not kill off Princess Leia in Episode 8 is that Carrie Fisher was not dead when they filmed it. It seems like the obvious thing to do once she died, but at the time they assumed her part in the next movie would be played by a living actress and not some leftover clippings of footage they found on the ground.

To be fair I think they were pretty early in editing and effects when she died. It’s not like the movie was ready to be mailed out when it happened.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

They'd have to change a fair bit of the film in editing to get it done if they killed her off when her ship gets blown up. They'd be missing a resolution to the mutiny subplot, and they'd also have to cut out her final meeting with Luke. On the other hand, IX could have similarly avoided having to assemble a performance from spare parts by just not writing her into the movie so much.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm still amazed they didn't just have leia die quietly at some point between 8 and 9, it would've been far less tasteless than what we got

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PJOmega posted:

And lifting a man from several feet away, choking him to death to the horror of the fascist warmakers who share the room with it.

Is Vader actually using electromagnetism to manipulate the atoms of the guy’s eusophagus, or is Vader simply making him so nervous that he believes it to be true? As Han Solo correctly points out, it’s all indistinguishable from simple tricks and nonsense.

In our galaxy today, hypnotism is a thing that exists. The Killing Of A Sacred Deer is a recent sci-fi film about an evil kid who uses hypnosis to induce paralysis and so-on. Another recent example of OT logic is M. Night Shyamalan’s Unbreakabkle trilogy, where the same absolute conviction that allows David Dunn to bend metal pipes also makes him “allergic” to water. It’s not ‘just’ a phobia; his belief triggers an intense physiological reaction.

The key point in all these films is that there is nothing actually supernatural at play. Once you give up and conclude that God Did It All, you must then explain why God doesn’t just detonate all of the space nazis and let Luke shoot fireballs out of his eye sockets or whatever.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Space stations the size of a small moon and faster-than-light travel are also impossible going by contemporary physics, maybe it's all pretend and they're gonna zoom out of a snowglobe in the next movie too.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Is Vader actually using electromagnetism to manipulate the atoms of the guy’s eusophagus, or is Vader simply making him so nervous that he believes it to be true?

Is he being made so nervous he is being lifted off the floor gasping and clawing at the nothingness that is squeezing his airpipe?

I used to enjoy your gimmick SMG but you're really phoning it in this time. 3/10.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

YaketySass posted:

Space stations the size of a small moon and faster-than-light travel are also impossible going by contemporary physics, maybe it's all pretend and they're gonna zoom out of a snowglobe in the next movie too.

So why don’t peoplr pretend something smarter? When the only limit is your imagination, it raises a lot of questions when your imagination reaches its limit and craps out.

Luckily, in Star Wars, there are limits. The Death Star is technological, which means it costs money and uses fuel. It was developed by physicists over the course of decades, and then built by people. The materials came from somewhere.

Likewise, Vader has limits. Even once we confirm that his powers objectively exist, that means that they have a cause: midichlorians. He can’t conjure up the stolen data tapes, and whatever, because midichlorians are ultimately just another technology.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

pardon me, but i thought the main issue people had with leia poppins was simply that the scene looked stupid as hell. you have her in this funny looking superman pose, with this cheesy, uplifting music playing in the background. that's why i personally thought it was dumb/hilarious. all the problems regarding physics and leia's ability to use the force were distant second issues. people in my theater were audibly laughing at that scene, which is all the more hilarious because it's one of the very, VERY few times anyone laughed at all during that movie.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

pardon me, but i thought the main issue people had with leia poppins was simply that the scene looked stupid as hell. you have her in this funny looking superman pose, with this cheesy, uplifting music playing in the background. that's why i personally thought it was dumb/hilarious. all the problems regarding physics and leia's ability to use the force were distant second issues.

imo it looked neat but it was ultimately a completely pointless scene outside of the tidbit of 'oh okay leia has some force training', so it's still kind of a headscratcher in that regard

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

PJOmega posted:

Is he being made so nervous he is being lifted off the floor gasping and clawing at the nothingness that is squeezing his airpipe?

I used to enjoy your gimmick SMG but you're really phoning it in this time. 3/10.

Why would you post something so easily refuted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-NvFIK_beQ

At no point through the OT does Vader lift any of his choke victims telepathically.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It was just a way for Leia to be taken out of play without killing her, she could have just fallen and hit her head but presumably they wanted to have a scene where she uses the force and decided to put it there

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I've been having a bit of a back-and-forth with my friends over this so would like to get a bit of an impression of the overall view. It's my opinion that, regardless of the quality of the sequel trilogy, Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is pretty much the best/most interesting character in the entire franchise (not counting EU poo poo). What's your take?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Why would you post something so easily refuted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-NvFIK_beQ

At no point through the OT does Vader lift any of his choke victims telepathically.

No, he just chokes one from hundreds of miles away without moving a muscle. Far less impressive, really.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZ3dutSWdM

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
i just watched a webm of rey brutally stabbing kylo in the stomach when he dropped his focus due to his mother dying
lmao how is this not a dark sider act
rey is palpatine through and through, the entire galaxy got fooled
she''s the antichrist

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Lemon posted:

Kylo Ren is the best/most interesting character in the entire franchise

big agree. they wasted him at the end. the movie is called rise of skywalker and he's a loving skywalker. all 9 movies revolve around that bloodline and because we need to have a female protagonist let's just let someone steal the name and end this all on a severely unsatisfying and wtf note

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

My favourite "Rey is a dark side user" moment was probably in Episode 7, where after Kylo helpfully reminds her that the force exists she closes her eyes serenely, whispers "the force..." and then just starts wailing on him in anger.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lemon posted:

I've been having a bit of a back-and-forth with my friends over this so would like to get a bit of an impression of the overall view. It's my opinion that, regardless of the quality of the sequel trilogy, Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is pretty much the best/most interesting character in the entire franchise (not counting EU poo poo). What's your take?

I found him rather dull, frankly. The "Han/Leia's kid turns to the dark side" was already played out in the crappy EU, so his character comes off as cliched by the time of the film. It also doesn't help that I find his voice to be grating.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Lemon posted:

My view is that he COULD have been an interesting character but inconsistency and temper tantrums make him unsympathetic and childish.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

cargohills posted:

My favourite "Rey is a dark side user" moment was probably in Episode 7, where after Kylo helpfully reminds her that the force exists she closes her eyes serenely, whispers "the force..." and then just starts wailing on him in anger.

I do like the idea of Rey as this bright-eyed, unknowing walking atom bomb, and I think the three movies did some good character work with her; I’m just sad we never got to the fireworks factory with her

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Davros1 posted:

I found him rather dull, frankly. The "Han/Leia's kid turns to the dark side" was already played out in the crappy EU, so his character comes off as cliched by the time of the film. It also doesn't help that I find his voice to be grating.

Interesting! I found his voice, especially inside the helmet, to be probably the most compelling performance after James Earl Jones.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

My view is that he COULD have been an interesting character but inconsistency and temper tantrums make him unsympathetic and childish.

It was the temper tantrums especially that turned me onto him; you could see that he was a hurt child that needed validation.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Lemon posted:

It's maybe more correct to say that Adam Driver is the best actor in the entire franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ruddiger posted:

The horses don't know which way is down unless they receive a control signal.