Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

also there's the lack of any kind of tension because u7 was always in the lead and the biggest threat (jiren) very rarely participated and, on the rare occasion that he did, chose not to ring anyone out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Trunks might do that, Gohan would think about it but lean against is because it didn't seem fair. Everyone else would tell you "no why would I NOT fight him?"

Trunks would attempt it, somehow fail, and end up either putting himself in near ring-out or making the enemy even stronger. He's ruthless but he is not intelligent and most importantly is world-shatteringly unlucky.

Gohan isn't the kind that'd care about fair in a life-threatening fight. He's also even more stupid in battle so he'd never think of it.

18 would 100% go for the sure ring-out. Krillin may but also would mess it up somehow. 17 and Piccolo would if other options wouldn't work. Roshi not only would but did with his own version in the Mafuba, rules-breaking be damned. Freeza...just probably wouldn't even bother with it.

The only punch-or-die in the team were the two Saiyans (and arguably Tenshinhan) and sadly, the broken move was in the hands of one of them. The other skipped the chance to learn it but at least may get something cool too.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think them not acknowledging it is bad writing

but the real problems are jiren, the pacing, like 70% of the fights, and most of the ringouts. things like how piccolo went out and roshi pulling a back to back death fakeout. most of the new characters introduced for this besides caulifla, kale, and toppo were really uncompelling

Dragon Ball is built on characters not acknowledging obvious things that would make their lives way easier. That has nothing to do with the ToP or even Super, it's a thing as far back as post-Vegeta where absolutely no one tries to learn the Kaio-ken despite having no reason not to do it. Hell, Super is smarter about it, at least it bothered to poke fun on the fact that no one had their powers unleashed by Old Kai in spite of, again, being something anyone could do and being a ridiculously effective move (were it not wasted on Gohan...). I can't call it bad writing in the ToP if I don't call it bad writing in the whole franchise, and if anything, this is a far more minor situation than the ones I described above.

Points to the Cell Saga though, where Bulma actually pointed out how to instantly end the arc before it even began (wish to know where Dr. Gero's lab is, destroy it before the Androids are activated in three years)...only for her to get immediately shot down by the punchmen who wanted their fight, lives be damned. Krillin was the only one that gave a good excuse to not do it, because otherwise they'd just get killed by a bored Vegeta anyways and it was a good moment to have him turn good like Piccolo did with the Saiyans, a bet that, may I point out, succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

...I won't negate the rest of the post though. The ToP really did have some really bad moments but also really strong ones so I can't hate it. That said, I'd say that most characters would have to be uncompelling since only a few would be major anyways, and even there the two Namekians, Toppo, Dr. Rota and Catopesla are all memorable for good reasons, while Anilaza at least had a strong fight and Ribrianne...is memorable, no doubt.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

also there's the lack of any kind of tension because u7 was always in the lead and the biggest threat (jiren) very rarely participated and, on the rare occasion that he did, chose not to ring anyone out

U7 being in the lead for most of it makes sense when you remember that it was gokus idea and most of the universes were just told to raise a team and compete to survive

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also most of the universes weren't gently caress off difficult hellscapes like U7.

There's a reason it was almost the lowest on the totem pole.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think them not acknowledging it is bad writing

It's not. Them not stopping to throw in a line going "Well why don't you do X" for every possible smark's idea of what they'd do is actually a very good choice.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

only parts of ToP that I unconditionally pass on are: boring as gently caress "sniper" episode and how ridiculously dirty they did Piccolo.

I like Jiren but I liked Toppo more and him turning into a god of destruction mid-tournament was loving rad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Jiren's power is to be stubborn beyond logic and reason.

I mean that's pretty much canon and why he survived a backstory that's more like Future Trunks or nightmare timeline Gohan than anything else.

And Goku preferring a big flashy fight with battles of will, wits and technique is probably ideal give Zeno made several judgement calls based on 'Because it's cool', like allowing the Mafuba even though it technically allows outside implements. (and the various cyborg competitors are definitely a gray area, especially since Beerus says he's going to pretend he didn't hear the backstories of 17 and 18)

The ToP was a big crazy mess but I liked that, especially with teams from different universes bringing different styles and genre conventions along with them- the idea seems to be to cram as much variety of opponents and types of fights into one arc as they could, and I gotta respect that. The fact that people are still actively debating hypotheticals and armchair quarterbacking is probably all part of the fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A major problem with Instant Transmission is that it really should be the solution to basically every problem. You have to assume Goku would rather have a good fight or there's no good reason for him, say, bothering to fight Broly (original or new) at all or why he'd have to surf a Kamehameha instead of just warp-kamehaming behind Kefla for an instant win.

Edit: Like theretically half the ToP would just be Goku warp-Kamehamehaing people from behind and that would get super boring.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Burkion posted:

Also most of the universes weren't gently caress off difficult hellscapes like U7.

There's a reason it was almost the lowest on the totem pole.

U9 seemed pretty tough and hellscapy. They just all ganged up on U7 at once and lost early on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MonsterEnvy posted:

U9 seemed pretty tough and hellscapy. They just all ganged up on U7 at once and lost early on.

U9's issue seems to be they're TOO much of a hellscape, there's not enough peace and safety for anyone to develop to their full potential. Kind of the thing with the Saiyans is it turns out they achieve their best strength in a peaceful environment and occasional challenges worthy to flex their muscles.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

U9's issue seems to be they're TOO much of a hellscape, there's not enough peace and safety for anyone to develop to their full potential. Kind of the thing with the Saiyans is it turns out they achieve their best strength in a peaceful environment and occasional challenges worthy to flex their muscles.

I liked that group shot of the U9 crew after 17 revives everyone.

Only Rabbit girl is actually happy to still exist in the most poo poo hole universe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I keep forgetting that's the furry universe

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not. Them not stopping to throw in a line going "Well why don't you do X" for every possible smark's idea of what they'd do is actually a very good choice.
Yeah like having it occasionally acknowledged is good, especially if it is a fairly obvious concept, but I feel like at some point people decided "the fictional characters do not behave in a strategically optimal manner, as I understand it" is "everyone here is stupid, I hate reading about stupid people."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
actual bad writing in the sense of "you wrote this scene and it totally whiffs" is vegeta beat-for-beat doing the buu sacrifice explosion and totally living through it and then continuing to fight because he can just survive exploding himself now I guess

you go out of your way to call back to a classic moment in the franchise and then just do it worse in every possible way because ???

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

actual bad writing in the sense of "you wrote this scene and it totally whiffs" is vegeta beat-for-beat doing the buu sacrifice explosion and totally living through it and then continuing to fight because he can just survive exploding himself now I guess

you go out of your way to call back to a classic moment in the franchise and then just do it worse in every possible way because ???

To be fair, Digimon set that precedent already

Mind it killed Wormmon but not the guy using the attack

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

TBH that's pretty standard for Dragonball. Any technique with a serious drawback ends up losing that drawback if it gets used again. Tien just basically did the Mafuba but didn't die because gently caress you, the Special Beam Cannon's charge time is 'however long the plot needs', Kaioken went from wrecking Goku's body to something he uses regularly, etc, etc.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Spirit Bomb still takes forever to actually do, of course.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Final Explosion would have been fine if Vegeta was immediately spent afterwards, rather than fighting at full power for another episode before the plot acknowledged he was done

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Spirit Bomb still takes forever to actually do, of course.

And always fails.

I think King Kai wasn't a very good teacher.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darth TNT posted:

And always fails.

KaioKen did God's work for the longest.

Would KaioKen X 20 have defeated great ape Vegeta?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Burkion posted:

KaioKen did God's work for the longest.

Would KaioKen X 20 have defeated great ape Vegeta?

Unlikely. Goku was sitting at 'over 8000', but somewhere between 8-9,000 is usually what gets thrown around in databooks and makes the most sense. Kaio-ken boosts him to ~12,000ish and Vegeta beats on him apart from a few surprise hits. x2 puts him 16,000ish and he comments that he can't keep up with Vegeta. x3, however, has him outstrip Vegeta pretty handedly, with Bulma's scouter blowing up at 21,000.

Given all that, a x20 kaioken would have put him around 160,000, which is still weaker than the great ape. Also, he probably would have exploded.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Caros posted:

Unlikely. Goku was sitting at 'over 8000', but somewhere between 8-9,000 is usually what gets thrown around in databooks and makes the most sense. Kaio-ken boosts him to ~12,000ish and Vegeta beats on him apart from a few surprise hits. x2 puts him 16,000ish and he comments that he can't keep up with Vegeta. x3, however, has him outstrip Vegeta pretty handedly, with Bulma's scouter blowing up at 21,000.

Given all that, a x20 kaioken would have put him around 160,000, which is still weaker than the great ape. Also, he probably would have exploded.

The Fake Moon Ball lowered Vegeta's power by a bit, so the gap isn't that wide.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If Goku could hit Kaioken x10 he would've probably gunned for the tail and either blew it off or put Vegeta into a terminal tail knot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly using x20 against Vegeta would've just killed Goku. Even x3 was more than he should've done, x4 left him so badly hurt internally that a small congratulatory slap from Yajirobe was extremely painful. Even Goku himself pointed out that x5 afterwards would've done far more bad than good, x20 would be insta-death.

Hell it took until very late Super for Goku to actually pull a x20 without consequences. With Blue, sure, but that number in Z was used once and it was something Goku knew fully well he should not do but also he was out of options. It also, of course, did not work, but that's another issue entirely.

Let's all forget Goku once pushed that thing to x100. Lord Slug was a very interesting movie.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I realize the Japanese VA passed away but I miss King Kai and legitimately wish he'd show up again just to be like "Goku's been quiet lately, better check in and see what he's up t- OH WHAT THE gently caress, why can't he go 5 minutes without endangering his entire universe?"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
He showed up when everyone was trying to get a Shenron wish, didn’t he have a new VA then?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rudoku posted:

The Fake Moon Ball lowered Vegeta's power by a bit, so the gap isn't that wide.

True, I just assumed the kaio ken damage evened out fairly to Vegeta blowing some energy on the fake moon and getting sent into high orbit on the back of a kamehameha.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Caros posted:

True, I just assumed the kaio ken damage evened out fairly to Vegeta blowing some energy on the fake moon and getting sent into high orbit on the back of a kamehameha.

Be a good DBZ abridged edit to have him try to kaioken x 10 and just pop like a grape during the Vegeta fight.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ElBrak posted:

Be a good DBZ abridged edit to have him try to kaioken x 10 and just pop like a grape during the Vegeta fight.

Abridged Goku cant count that high

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth TNT posted:

And always fails.

To be fair the spirit bomb failing led to Goku getting Ultra Instinct.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New Leaf posted:

I realize the Japanese VA passed away but I miss King Kai and legitimately wish he'd show up again just to be like "Goku's been quiet lately, better check in and see what he's up t- OH WHAT THE gently caress, why can't he go 5 minutes without endangering his entire universe?"

I get death means nothing in Dragon Ball but Joji Yanami sure seems pretty alive for a dead guy.

He took medical leave, he didn't die. And he was immediately replaced by the also-very-much-alive Naoki Tatsuya so it's not that that's stopping King Kai's appearances.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I get death means nothing in Dragon Ball but Joji Yanami sure seems pretty alive for a dead guy.

He took medical leave, he didn't die. And he was immediately replaced by the also-very-much-alive Naoki Tatsuya so it's not that that's stopping King Kai's appearances.

Oh my bad, I thought he passed. It was Bulma that passed right?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

New Leaf posted:

Oh my bad, I thought he passed. It was Bulma that passed right?

Also Master Roshi and Mr Satan's original VAs. Also Mr Satan's replacement VA also died a couple years ago as well.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The Final Explosion one bothered me more than the rest of them since it never seemed like it was supposed to be a technique Vegeta was using, he was literally just expending all his energy in an explosion. This was a lot more jarring than say, Final Flash getting used again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

The Final Explosion one bothered me more than the rest of them since it never seemed like it was supposed to be a technique Vegeta was using, he was literally just expending all his energy in an explosion. This was a lot more jarring than say, Final Flash getting used again.

I mean the Tribeam literally killed Tien to use once and then he tosses it out a few dozen times in a row before just passing out.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Momomo posted:

Yeah it's so unfocused and wasteful.. It's like a lantern vs a laser beam. I can see the merits of both, but in this case, he used the wrong tool for the job.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Vegeta should have come up with a Bigger Bang Attack.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

bobjr posted:

Vegeta should have come up with a Bigger Bang Attack.

That's his ultimate in the Budokai series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGqlyNFADY&t=252s

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

Honestly using x20 against Vegeta would've just killed Goku. Even x3 was more than he should've done, x4 left him so badly hurt internally that a small congratulatory slap from Yajirobe was extremely painful. Even Goku himself pointed out that x5 afterwards would've done far more bad than good, x20 would be insta-death.

Hell it took until very late Super for Goku to actually pull a x20 without consequences. With Blue, sure, but that number in Z was used once and it was something Goku knew fully well he should not do but also he was out of options. It also, of course, did not work, but that's another issue entirely.

Let's all forget Goku once pushed that thing to x100. Lord Slug was a very interesting movie.

They should just increase production of Senzu beans and wear a beer hat filled with Senzu bean juice that goes through a tube into their mouth. Then he can do as much Kaiokens as he wants while healing the damage with the bean juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

was it in the ToP where vegeta re-did the majin vegeta explosion? i have zero memory of that happening