Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bounding Into Comics isn't exactly trustworthy.

Also after Justice League, I don’t trust any rumor that even hints at the existence of a different cut that drastically improves the film but *they* don’t want you to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Justice league one is true

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Boxman posted:

Also after Justice League, I don’t trust any rumor that even hints at the existence of a different cut that drastically improves the film but *they* don’t want you to see it.

To be fair, even if the Snyder cut was just a 2-hour reel of old commercials on a flickering VHS tape it would drastically improve Justice League.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bounding Into Comics isn't exactly trustworthy.

Yeah I don't buy that at all, I mean you can tell just from watching the movie that it was overproduced into idiocy from the get go without needing any kind of insider source. But that doesn't mean there was some secret gem version of it that existed beforehand, the whole production is just a clusterfuck and while they keep sort of acting like oh yeah this is what we planned of course! It's clear they always had too many cooks in the kitchen across them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Every few years, they should pick a director and just give them all of the footage from the entire sequel trilogy and let them make their own sequel trilogy from it however they want.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/1212058081632378880?s=19

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Little Death posted:

Trevorrow was Book of Henry too. That movie is very weird, but not in a fun way. In a dumb and sort of horrifying way.

I just read the plot synopsis and :laffo: though Trevorrow TROS would have been a lot more entertaining than what we got.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also the TROS hype (by which I mean the hilarious poo poo-losing over the spoilers) is what got me to start watching movies again and they’ve somehow gotten worse since the early 2000s. Good job, guys. I missed nothing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wait, Star Wars movies or movies in general? Because blockbusters continue to be garbage on the whole, but you're a goddamn idiot if you think that's representative of the wider cinematic landscape.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blockbusters.

I watched TLJ and it sucked. I watched TROS and it sucked. I watched Black Panther and it sucked.

I watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and it ruled. I watched Marriage Story and it ruled. I watched El Desconocido and it ruled. Dolemite is my Name, Knives Out, and Uncut Gems, by all accounts, are great.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 31, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Still wanna see that Lucas cut that almost assuredly doesn't exist.

I'd settle written stories. Hell, even if it is about midichlorians using people as avatars, it would still be a billion times better than Disney's sloppy trilogy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'd settle written stories. Hell, even if it is about midichlorians using people as avatars, it would still be a billion times better than Disney's sloppy trilogy.

One thing that's interesting about the Expanded Universe books is that they drew a lot of their setting and equipment information from the West End Games Star Wars RPG (which in turn got it from Lucas films in a pretty unprecedented way) . I think that helped ground them a bit in reality, sort of. In an RPG you have to know where places are, how long it takes to get from one to another. How fast various ships are, how tough they are, how much range and power their weapons have.

So, in the books, you can't really do stuff like leave a chase, pop halfway across the galaxy or whatever and then return within the same day. You have to come up with a solution that fits the logic of the situation. Disney Star Wars has shunned the EU, so they don't ground themselves in story logic. Honestly, I'm waiting for somebody to develop the Force technique, Colo-rectal Tesseract, so they can just pull solutions right out of their asses.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 31, 2019

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Blockbusters.

I watched TLJ and it sucked. I watched TROS and it sucked. I watched Black Panther and it sucked.

I watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and it ruled. I watched Marriage Story and it ruled. I watched El Desconocido and it ruled. Dolemite is my Name, Knives Out, and Uncut Gems, by all accounts, are great.

Go watch Alita: Battle Angel

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/1212090062147637251

Lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pollyanna posted:

Blockbusters.

I'd give my left nut for Quentin Tarantino to do or have done a Star Wars film. It would be weird and superb.

Imagine if he had been in charge of Solo, from the very beginning.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Is John Boyega really trolling Reylo shippers? :allears:

This is amazing, the reactions to this movie are definitely better than the movie itself.

Also Scorsese was right about Marvel movies, and in fact all Disney movies. They're giant transformers cartoons, but with much less self-awareness.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 31, 2019

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

PT6A posted:

I'd give my left nut for Quentin Tarantino to do or have done a Star Wars film. It would be weird and superb.

Is he still doing a Star Trek?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The idea of another version of the movie is rather silly since this one has JJ's fingerprints all over it. It's made exactly how JJ makes films, a bullet point of stuff with insane pacing so you don't think about how stupid poo poo is.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

PT6A posted:

I used to joke about it but the more movies come out and the more I keep staring at Kill Bill the more I do kind of wonder

like, doing homages that feel like a thing while being its own thing is tarantino's thing, at this point how much worse could he be

put tarantino in, coach

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Little Death posted:

This is amazing, the reactions to this movie are definitely better than the movie itself.

Also Scorsese was right about Marvel movies, and in fact all Disney movies. They're giant transformers cartoons, but with much less self-awareness.

the problem with disney movies these days is too much self-awareness, frankly

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is this loss?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Good Lord that movie was bad, what the gently caress

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Pollyanna posted:

I watched Black Panther and it sucked.

woah there, bub

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Black Panther was fine as far as mainline MCU cookie cutter poo poo goes, but it was definitely overhyped.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

This is precisely why it was a compelling romance. I understand why a lot of people would prefer Rey to pick the nice guy who would treat her well instead, but it would be incredibly boring.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Captain Jesus posted:

This is precisely why it was a compelling romance. I understand why a lot of people would prefer Rey to pick the nice guy who would treat her well instead, but it would be incredibly boring.

Yeah and they had amazing chemistry together. As much as I'd have preferred everyone to be gay Reylo is a straight ship I think is good.

And on that topic, literally the most damning criticism of the new trilogy I've seen :v:
https://twitter.com/Yuri_Librarian/status/1211740647440277505

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

Black Panther was fine as far as mainline MCU cookie cutter poo poo goes, but it was definitely overhyped.

Black Panther was a movie written, directed and starring mostly black people (with Andy Serkis and a CIA Hobbit sidekick as the "token" whities) that made 1.3+ Billion dollars. Figure it's one reason RoS upped the "visible black humans" quota from 1 to 3+.

poo poo on the MCU if you want, but, honestly, the fact that it's giving exposure to people like Taiki Waititi, Ryan Coogler and Anna Boden is an objectively good thing, I think.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 31, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Black Panther was important for inclusion, but is just as bad as most Marvel movies. Ultimately it showed that even black superheroes can lead a conservative government recruitment propaganda film. Taika knocked it out of the park with his film thematically and narratively, at least.

Eimi posted:

Yeah and they had amazing chemistry together. As much as I'd have preferred everyone to be gay Reylo is a straight ship I think is good.

And on that topic, literally the most damning criticism of the new trilogy I've seen :v:
https://twitter.com/Yuri_Librarian/status/1211740647440277505

I don't disagree, but it's not like the OT or PT were any better in that regard.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 31, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Everyone posted:

Black Panther was a movie written, directed and starring mostly black people (with Andy Serkis and a CIA Hobbit sidekick as the "token" whities) that made 1.3+ Billion dollars. Figure it's one reason RoS upped the "visible black humans" quota from 1 to 3+.

poo poo on the MCU if you want, but, honestly, the fact that it's giving exposure to people like Taiki Waititi, Ryan Coogler and Anna Boden is an objectively good thing, I think.

I was speaking to its quality as a film, not on whatever effects or commentary it might've had on the climate of the entertainment industry.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Black Panther was important for inclusion, but is just as bad as most Marvel movies. Ultimately it showed that even black superheroes can lead a conservative government recruitment propaganda film.

I don't disagree, but it's not like the OT or PT were any better in that regard.

Yeah, it's something that's a well known issue with them, given that before the ST there were all of four women in the galaxy with names and speaking roles. Which was one of the nice things about Disney stuff is that you have women extras as pilots and soldiers and poo poo, like that's a good correction Disney did.

And I guess part of what you would expect that correction to do was when you had a female lead trilogy, you'd have more female characters for your lead to interact with instead of just men.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

feedmyleg posted:

Black Panther was important for inclusion, but is just as bad as most Marvel movies. Ultimately it showed that even black superheroes can lead a conservative government recruitment propaganda film. Taika knocked it out of the park with his film thematically and narratively, at least.

Aunt Beru was hot for Padme.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Little Death posted:

Why do you think he calls Mark Hamil his dad? He's already made it clear he's not coming back for a Disney +

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
One of the questions that was never properly resolved within the films (Until, sadly, this one) is just how powerful are force users, really? Like - is one Jedi/Sith Master comparable to a platoon of troops? A capital ship? An entire fleet/army/whatever? It's not entirely clear, although there are some indications within the prequels that a single Jedi, in combat, doesn't amount to all that much. A few hundred show up on Geonosis and most of them die to a bunch of droids. Nearly all the Jedi die when backstabbed by a bunch of clone troops. They're good warriors but they're not gods. (The animated Clone Wars makes them out to be near Godlike). Perhaps their most important role is inspiring others, something like Gandalf in LOTR - he actually does very little explicit magic, but does a lot to raise morale. (although this is a weird role in the prequels because most of the fighting forces are clones who are trained as infants to be fearless and obedient).

One of the more interesting things TLJ played with is completely affirming that. Luke laughs off the idea that he could single-handedly take on an army. His signature moment is to simply produce the image of an inspiring hero. He really couldn't face down 20 AT-ATs or whatever, nobody actually has that kind of power, but he can use his powers to delay an army and allow for folks to retreat, while also getting into Ren's head. It's kind of sloppily handled but I get what they're going for. I kinda like this image of force users.

Ok, but now the ambiguity is settled. In ROS if you're strong enough with the force you can pretty much do anything at all - Palpatine can destroy entire fleets, conjure up fleets, who the gently caress knows. It sucks.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

John Boyega deserves better than Star Wars

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It seems like maybe Kylo Ben's turning point should have come with him making peace with Luke's ghost rather than a "memory" of his father

a) it would put a cap on their confrontation in TLJ
b) it would provide some closure for both Kylo and for Luke Skywalker, since each have legitimately wronged the other
c) Ben basically imagining his father forgiving him for his murder isn't an especially good look

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

General Dog posted:

It seems like maybe Kylo Ben's turning point should have come with him making peace with Luke's ghost rather than a "memory" of his father

b) it would provide some closure for both Kylo and for Luke Skywalker, since each have legitimately wronged the other
c) Ben basically imagining his father forgiving him for his murder isn't an especially good look

It kinda sucks that Luke dies saying 'see you around kid" in TLJ and literally never interacts with Kylo Ren again

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

It kinda sucks that Luke dies saying 'see you around kid" in TLJ and literally never interacts with Kylo Ren again

It’s funny that people thought Luke was sincere in his apology and not just trolling the poo poo out Kylo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

General Dog posted:

Ben's soul was split. If you treat Kylo Ren and Ben Solo as two warring identities, then I think thematically it works. Having Ben find his peace with his father through his memories as "Ben" and not as "Kylo Ren" works in that sense. His coming back to the light due to the realization that even when he was Kylo Ren, his father still loved him, and him accepting that he too always loved his father works well enough for me as sealing his return to the light side.

But I will say that the lack of interaction between Luke and Ben in TROS is a bummer.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Rey is "all the Jedi" so technically Luke's last interaction with Kylo is a big ol kiss on the lips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm not sure I buy this.

Odd that Kennedy is so on board with "gently caress it, it's Sheev!"