Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a patch that makes the life support system output water but apparently it doesn't work properly, you can still apparently put a well in space though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Danaru posted:

What troubles are you having with Hygiene? It works fine for me so we might be able to help fix it

lmao

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I dont think it's designed to output to water towers etc. The life support module has an internal storage tank that fills itself up so if you need more water capacity, you need more life support. It also acts as a septic tank/the sewage thing that processes sewage really fast that I forget the name of. It also still outputs to hot water tanks thank god, I didnt want to have to futz with heaters

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Technically you didn't "land" the first time. You crashed.

IIRC isn't the mod that lets you "land" again called something like "poo poo not again"?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
CE question: what's the best (cheapish) weapon to give my non-combat colonists for emergency events where I don't/can't get turret coverage? (drop pod raids, infestations, etc.) Infestations are the big one; most of my indoor walls are actually CE embrasures, so if bugs appear inside one of my storage areas/workshop rooms/etc. I can just draft all my colonists and have them blow the bugs away with massed firepower. I've been giving them heavy SMGs with AP ammo but megaspiders and their armor are proving to be somewhat resistant to them when spawning en masse. I know the .500 handcannon will blow limbs clean off of pawns fairly easily, but I haven't actually looked at its values. Pump shotguns with slugs, maybe? 5.56 carbines?

I'm using CE and the non-Federation Rimsenal mods, but most of the Rimsenal stuff is a bit spendy to build if I'm outfitting Everyone.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Autoshotties with slugs are real nice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It also depends how much bulk/mass you're willing to sacrifice, because it impacts work speed/movement speed. So a mac 10 is a great sidearm because it doesn't impact their work or move speed much and can spray bullets at poo poo long enough to get away.

An autoshotgun would probably work very well but it's also likely to be quite heavy.

The AK74U from CE guns is probably a decent bet firing intermediate rifle cartridges but being quite compact. I think Rimsenal might come with a compact 5.56 carbine or something from greydale?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

It also depends how much bulk/mass you're willing to sacrifice, because it impacts work speed/movement speed. So a mac 10 is a great sidearm because it doesn't impact their work or move speed much and can spray bullets at poo poo long enough to get away.

An autoshotgun would probably work very well but it's also likely to be quite heavy.

The AK74U from CE guns is probably a decent bet firing intermediate rifle cartridges but being quite compact. I think Rimsenal might come with a compact 5.56 carbine or something from greydale?

This is one of the reasons I'm considering the handcannon over something big like a shotgun or rifle; I have lots of low-tier androids running around doing scutwork, so it's not like one individual colonist hauling 4 stacks of corn instead of 5 or w/e is a huge efficiency loss, but it does add up over time.

ooh, I can't check (at work), can you get explosive rounds in .500 or 12 gauge? that might be a decent option

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think so sadly, slugs, buckshot, beanbag, and I think EMP?

Bugs are tough though yeah because the megaspiders have remarkably tough armour that you really need rifle caliber cartridges to puncture. A 5.56 carbine is probably your best bet, with AP rounds if necessary. Your other option would be charge weapons, which are good at punching through ballistic armour but obviously are hard to come by.

A big beefy pistol isn't a bad idea, especially one that can fire shotgun rounds too, very versatile, but the big pistol cartridges still don't always have great AP even if they pack a punch on unarmoured targets.

You could try flashbang grenades to let your T1/2 dudes escape and then give your higher tier androids (with better carrying capacity) the bigger guns.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Leal posted:

IIRC isn't the mod that lets you "land" again called something like "poo poo not again"?

It was called "gently caress Not Again." I did a bit of debugging on it to get it to play nice with another mod. I think it ended up depreciated in favor of Save Our Ship when that came out, since it was pretty much the same thing--a mod that let you reuse the colonists you left with after your last colony built a ship and left.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Even though it is no longer being made, I appreciate the name.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

OwlFancier posted:

There's a patch that makes the life support system output water but apparently it doesn't work properly, you can still apparently put a well in space though.

That's what I was referring to, but wow I had no idea about that last part and I love it. I think I'm going to revert to an earlier save and spend some time building up the ship and adding shuttle bays before launching again. My mistake was of thinking about the ship like...well, something to bring back to the base instead of like the seed of an orbital colony. :shobon:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

gonna make a CE extension that adds Frag-12 rounds and sawn-off shotguns, for the ultimate in sidearms

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

also I thought you could land again with SOS2, isn't that the point of the external hardpoints, to mount turrets and stuff?

if not, well, there goes my idea of making a ship that's just a long side of heavy turrets and Rimatomics railguns

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Epsilon Plus posted:

also I thought you could land again with SOS2, isn't that the point of the external hardpoints, to mount turrets and stuff?

if not, well, there goes my idea of making a ship that's just a long side of heavy turrets and Rimatomics railguns

I know railguns can shoot at planet sites from orbit, but I havent done it myself. I've only used hardpoints to make a giant, ugly-as-gently caress platform to land my SRTS on. I'm about 95% sure the ship cant land though.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Epsilon Plus posted:

railguns are for planet bombardment and future space raids. Though I do agree that you should be able to land it again, just slam a flying fortress down on the enemies front lawn.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Radiators are the only non-jarring looking way to cool a nuclear reactor in space, but the only hardpoints are 2x2 and 4x4, and the radiators are 3x3 :negative: we were so close to looking great and cooling great

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I thought I'd try that wireless power mod to power my space station from the ground where all the uranium is.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I might do the opposite actually :v: my plan is to get my space ship self sufficient and have a small planetside FOB where I can sortie out and raid/mine for materials. Being able to beam down juice from the ship to power the oil drills until they can power themselves might be something to look into

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Does anyone know what the RX Neural Chip from Android Tiers ++ is used for? I've installed one in a colonist but don't see any SkyMind functions.

e: One interaction I like from the last raid is that mages in surrogate robots can still use their powers.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 12, 2020

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Anticheese posted:

Does anyone know what the RX Neural Chip from Android Tiers ++ is used for? I've installed one in a colonist but don't see any SkyMind functions.

e: One interaction I like from the last raid is that mages in surrogate robots can still use their powers.

I think the RX chip makes the recipient always count as having a relay tower in the area, so you can send them on caravans without getting the long-distance surrogate body debuff. Putting it into a biological pawn doesn't do anything unless you also install the one that turns them into a biological surrogate (killing them and turning their body into a meat puppet for someone else).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just wandering around with a wifi dongle sticking out the back of your head.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Just wandering around with a wifi dongle sticking out the back of your head.

You say that like it isn't every goon's dream.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As in because you're not a robot it doesn't do anything, you just jammed the aerial into your skull.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hey good news! You actually CAN launch transport pods into orbit to land at your ship! You'll need a mod like Long Range Transport Pods to do it, since it takes a ton of chemfuel (270 for me, it might depend on your latitude) Even though it says the contents will be lost, it'll drop somewhere on the map so make sure your haulers are suited up.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Can't you just use the regular SoS2 shuttles?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Nalesh posted:

Can't you just use the regular SoS2 shuttles?

you can, but those use uranium fuel pods, and SRTS ships need a pilot. With transport pods you can just biff poo poo up there with chemfuel and let your haulers deal with it, especially if you're just sending up some components or fuel pods :v:

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
If I put my psychopathic doctor with a bunch of prisoners in a caravan and settle it to harvest organs do my home colonists get the mood malus

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TropicalCoke posted:

If I put my psychopathic doctor with a bunch of prisoners in a caravan and settle it to harvest organs do my home colonists get the mood malus

yes

you can only dodge the "butchered humans" debuff this way. you'll still get "killed prisoners" and "harvested organs".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just means you need to put up better statues and flooring in the dining room to balance out the bad thinking of carving pieces out of raiders until you remove something vital.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I learned recently that there are two levels of impressiveness above extremely impressive.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OwlFancier posted:

I learned recently that there are two levels of impressiveness above extremely impressive.

One is unbelievably, I think, what's the other one?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I did not know that either, I thought it capped out at 100.

Well, now I know what my lucky little war criminal/colonists are gonna be building!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I recently discovered in SOS2 that walls dont HAVE to be a ship's hull to be airtight, but do have to be built on ship floors. This means if you build the hull one tile further than you want, put down floors, build windows on the floor, then take down the hull, you can let your dudes see outside. It has no practical effect, and in fact probably has way worse insulation than hull, but god drat it makes the Star Trek part of my brain happy :v: Also it means I can make a non-hull bulkhead between Engineering and the rest of the ship so I can turn off power to everywhere else in an emergency.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hey since you seem to know what you're doing, I'm just exploring the SOS2 mod for the first time and I'm not sure I understand how the shuttle bay works. It says it needs to be completely surrounded by hull, but I assume I can have an airlock in there to access the rest of the ship from the shuttle bay. Do I need airlocks leading from the shuttle bay to the outside the ship, or can the shuttle just land on an interior shuttle bay from "above"?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mzbundifund posted:

Hey since you seem to know what you're doing, I'm just exploring the SOS2 mod for the first time and I'm not sure I understand how the shuttle bay works. It says it needs to be completely surrounded by hull, but I assume I can have an airlock in there to access the rest of the ship from the shuttle bay. Do I need airlocks leading from the shuttle bay to the outside the ship, or can the shuttle just land on an interior shuttle bay from "above"?

The shuttle will just land on it from "above", it looks weird but its air tight, anyone leaving the shuttle wont need an EVA suit and the bay itself doesnt open the room to space.

One quirk to look out for, do NOT try to build a shuttle on top of a shuttle bay, it dismantles the bay in favour of the newly built shuttle because the game engine gets a little confused

Danaru fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 13, 2020

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ok thanks, I'll build my shuttles planetside. Should I build spaceship floor before I build the shuttle bay?

Also, is there any point to having both a spaceship bridge and an AI core?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mzbundifund posted:

Ok thanks, I'll build my shuttles planetside. Should I build spaceship floor before I build the shuttle bay?

Yep, shuttle bays have to be on top of flooring.

quote:

Also, is there any point to having both a spaceship bridge and an AI core?

Not as far as I can tell. It looks cool though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Danaru posted:

One is unbelievably, I think, what's the other one?

Unbeleivably starts at 170 impressiveness, wondrously, supposedly, at 240 though I've never got that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OwlFancier posted:

Unbeleivably starts at 170 impressiveness, wondrously, supposedly, at 240 though I've never got that far.

Well I've got a goal for my space bar :getin:

Also whoops one of my doctors developed cirrhosis because I had her on the ship with nothing to do but drink cider, plant potatoes, and plug in the construction surrogate when not in use :frogdunce: if a drat trader would bring some hyperweave I could have this problem solved