Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

To be fair, calling him pablo and referring to his triumphs and travails in such an exaggerated yet casual fashion is partly an expression of a long running CD star wars thread gag dating back to the hallowed days of the jivjov wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

crimedog posted:

I'm disappointed by the OT special editions, PT, and ST

OT SE: let's just paste over these award winning special effects.

PT: let's tell the story of the fall of Anakin Skywalker, something that's purposely mysterious because you can never truly know your dead absentee father. The explanation will never live up to your imagination.

ST: let's soft reboot with least amount of thoughtful writing and planning possible. $$$$$$$ You are a Palpatine

It’s frustrating knowing the Star Wars movies are mostly bad. At this point all we have are the Despecialized Editions.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

sponges posted:

At this point all we have are the Despecialized Editions.

Hey that's not fair

we also have MACLUNKEY

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This gets it backwards; the Star Wars setting has complete narrative control over some guy named Pablo.

SMG talks a lot of poo poo but this is one that is actually totally correct.

e: Man can I think of few positions more toxic to be in than "Public facing member of Star Wars lore team".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 9, 2020

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Basebf555 posted:

How could it? It happens so fast and there's isn't even confirmation in the movie that it's actually Ackbar.

It's bizarre how they seem to think fans go crazy for that kind of fanservice.....but hey lets not actually include those characters in the plot and make them relevant to the story, naaaah a quick 3 second cameo should do just fine.

Yeah, Disney's approach to fanservice is just baffling. TROS has big "who cares" energy, but they still take the time to include a scene of Chewie getting a medal?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I cracked up when maz goes up to chewie in that scene and he's just sitting on a box staring out into space. At the time I felt like he shared in the audience's dumbstruck confusion over the terribly edited mess that had just unfolded, but thanks to pablo I now know he was probably suffering from centrist brain and just having a drool

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The real disappointment was that they didn't keep harping on the dice, the medal kind of replaced it as the de rigeuer vapid latched on to nostalgia object now that I think about it. Sign number 1 trillion of the antipathy for rian I guess

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The dice vanished at the end of TLJ. Luke took the real ones off the falcon and then sent a projection of them to Leia, I guess

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
God knows where the real dice ended up. Hopefully some of the natives on Jedi Temple Island found them and got a good amount of money for them at market

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Someone way back in the thread complained about Leia clutching her Yavin medal as she died, since she didn't actually participate in the battle. I think it was actually meant to signify the importance of the events of A New Hope to her personally, since it was when she met the two people closest to her, Luke and Han. Would have been better to actually have any substantive scenes between the three of them in the previous two movies, but at least they tried, I guess.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe she got Hans medal in the divorce.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

Is Pablo a TERF?

Worse. He's a NERF!

At least that's what I herd.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Chewie getting no medal was originally a joke about Leia’s racism. At the big Triumph of the Will celebration, the droids get nothing either.

The joke now is that Chewie literally gets the medal over her dead body.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One thing I keep coming back to is that Lucas took inspiration from Triumph of the Will and uses it in a contradictory way: the heroes' award ceremony is reminiscent of placing a wreath on von Hindenburg's grave.

Later, Abrams just models the First Order rally on an SS ceremony from the same film. I don't see any nuance there.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's only contradictory if you assume that Lucas has a problem with the imagery or it's connotations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mulva posted:

It's only contradictory if you assume that Lucas has a problem with the imagery or it's connotations.

Galaxy brain

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Zoran posted:

Sometimes I wonder whether Ackbar's death was meant to provide real pathos or not

Also, god drat do I hate the scene where Kylo Ren and his two wingmen go on a tear through the resistance fleet and just blow up everything at will, completely unopposed. It's by far the worst space combat in the saga.

all of poes space battle scenes are also really bad. except the one in the tie fighter at the beginning of tfa i guess

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Chewie getting no medal was originally a joke about Leia’s racism. At the big Triumph of the Will celebration, the droids get nothing either.

The joke now is that Chewie literally gets the medal over her dead body.

Is the "medal controversy" a real thing or just people in this thread taking the piss out of RoS? Surely it's the latter.

Han won the medal and then put it on the Falcon. When he died, Chewbacca gave the medal to Leia because he was her husband. When she died, she'd told Maz to give the medal back to Chewbacca in memory of Han, his best friend.

Yeah, that's fanwank, but it's the only thing that makes sense in my head in terms of something that isn't wacky/satirical (CHewbacca was bitter at no medal, Maz a is corpse-robber).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't know, I wish they kept the oldest oldest (like early Testament of the Whills old) concept of the Anakin equivalent in that (I think he was named Mace Windy at that point lol)

loving what?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I appreciate whoever writes the summaries on Metacritic's approach to trolling

Eli949
Oct 23, 2008

Everyone posted:

Is the "medal controversy" a real thing or just people in this thread taking the piss out of RoS? Surely it's the latter.

Han won the medal and then put it on the Falcon. When he died, Chewbacca gave the medal to Leia because he was her husband. When she died, she'd told Maz to give the medal back to Chewbacca in memory of Han, his best friend.

Yeah, that's fanwank, but it's the only thing that makes sense in my head in terms of something that isn't wacky/satirical (CHewbacca was bitter at no medal, Maz a is corpse-robber).

But he doesn’t react to the medal like it’s a treasured memory of his dead friends. In one of the wide shots of the post-battle celebration, he’s excitedly holding it in the air like a trophy and showing it off to others.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

What, you think characters might have mixed feelings? gently caress off, trying to shoot a scene here.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mulva posted:

Lucas hitlered my childhood!!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Not Yoda I mean Maz is such a terrible character.

And Ackbar is such a weird choice. Him dying is a good choice, but the way they did it was basically just there so that they could insert a new character in there. I guess. At least that's how it feels.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

No Mods No Masters posted:

To be fair, calling him pablo and referring to his triumphs and travails in such an exaggerated yet casual fashion is partly an expression of a long running CD star wars thread gag dating back to the hallowed days of the jivjov wars

:barf:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

This gets it backwards; the Star Wars setting has complete narrative control over some guy named Pablo.

hahahaha 2020 is an excellent year

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
didn't pablo give TROS one and a half stars on letterboxed or something

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Darth TNT posted:

Not Yoda I mean Maz is such a terrible character.

And Ackbar is such a weird choice. Him dying is a good choice, but the way they did it was basically just there so that they could insert a new character in there. I guess. At least that's how it feels.

I remember watching the film and they have this Mon Calamari voice saying "concentrate rear shields" and what have you, then the bridge blows up and they say "Admiral Ackbar is dead" and I thought "oh I guess that's who that voice was". I'm not certain he was ever the focus of a shot, possibly added late in rewrites for some reason?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think they killed off Ackbar because the voice actor died? Might have been a totally unrelated decision though, I have no idea.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So something that's always bugged me in... actually most Star Wars media, but the ST mostly has this going on... Force Lightning is kinda completely devalued as a technique. Like... previously it was the technique of the Sith masters, Dooku, Palpatine, it was their thing, it fit with the evil sorcerer aesthetic. But while never stated (and it never should be stated, because someone going "That's an extremely powerful force technique!" is cringe-inducing) it felt... important.

But both Rey and Ben apparently lightning by total accident and it's... Force Lightning should not be premature ejaculations. It shouldn't just 'happen'

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Only chumps use force lightning. Master Force Strangle is 100% effective against Jedi in all circumstances.

It does bother me that Palpatine holds the idiot ball at the end and decides to continue shooting ineffective lightning at Rey, when he literally just showed that she was totally helpless against him just pushing her around.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Onmi posted:

So something that's always bugged me in... actually most Star Wars media, but the ST mostly has this going on... Force Lightning is kinda completely devalued as a technique. Like... previously it was the technique of the Sith masters, Dooku, Palpatine, it was their thing, it fit with the evil sorcerer aesthetic. But while never stated (and it never should be stated, because someone going "That's an extremely powerful force technique!" is cringe-inducing) it felt... important.

But both Rey and Ben apparently lightning by total accident and it's... Force Lightning should not be premature ejaculations. It shouldn't just 'happen'

I didn't even like Dooku back in the day, because as you said, it seemed to be more of a "master" thing that tied into my old perception that Yoda wouldn't bother with a lightsaber and just fucks around with the Force itself.

Dooku's lighting being wack as hell didn't help either; he didn't shoot it out nearly as powerfully looking as Sheev and got casually blocked by a knight.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
i think its lame that they never came up with anything more creative than force lightning. palpatine does it in ROTJ and that was a cool shocking (lol) moment, but then like 8 movies later thats like the Be All and End All of powerful force moves.

I dunno, can't there be other evil ways to gently caress people's day up

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

i think its lame that they never came up with anything more creative than force lightning. palpatine does it in ROTJ and that was a cool shocking (lol) moment, but then like 8 movies later thats like the Be All and End All of powerful force moves.

I dunno, can't there be other evil ways to gently caress people's day up

*Points to Rebels and Clone Wars again where Sheev (and Dooku) hovers over a pot like an evil witch and sends green fire out and poo poo.

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 10, 2020

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

One red mana, three damage, instant speed, Sheev's got four ready to roll at any given moment.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Onmi posted:

Next trilogy force lightning is gonna be a mundane way of powering up batteries like in Legend of Korra.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd like to see a Jedi/Sith pull a meteor down from space to splatter his opponent, that'd be pretty cool.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Rey accidentally shooting some lightning makes sense as she's been hair-trigger furious for over two whole films at that point. She's way more angry and hateful than most of the titled Sith lords.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I'd like to see a Jedi/Sith pull a moon down from space to splatter Chewie, that'd be pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

sassassin posted:

Rey accidentally shooting some lightning makes sense as she's been hair-trigger furious for over two whole films at that point. She's way more angry and hateful than most of the titled Sith lords.

The only negative feeling dooku ever had was an advanced disdain for plebs.

The Sith should be on some hellraiser poo poo next movie.