Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

SimonChris posted:

If the birthdate was part of a larger bio, I wouldn't think too much about it, but this definitely seems odd.

Sorry what's the red flag here? Is it linked to the Nazi 1888 thing? I was born in 1988 too but yeah I'd never put that in my bio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

What's going on with B?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

freebooter posted:

Sorry what's the red flag here? Is it linked to the Nazi 1888 thing? I was born in 1988 too but yeah I'd never put that in my bio.
Being born in 1988 is fine. Being born in '88 as basically your entire bio when you haven't apparently done anything except for a single story that's either problematic or very transphobic makes it seem like you may be some giggling Nazi out to own the libs.

I haven't looked into her beyond a very quick google after reading the piece, but who is the author? Has anyone found anything else they've done?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I haven't looked into her beyond a very quick google after reading the piece, but who is the author? Has anyone found anything else they've done?

It's an alias

Likely chosen from a short story by Ian R MacLeod (which doesn't mean he wrote the piece in question), called Isabel of the Fall

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Best wishes Battuta, I hope everything will get better for you soon.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Take care, General B. Hope things look up soon.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

cptn_dr posted:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cptn_dr posted:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I had read a little bit of Resnick's stuff back in the day and was underwhelmed, so his latter day antics were what I remembered him as, glad to see it's being talked about.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

cptn_dr posted:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

But also

ravenkult posted:

What's going on with B?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

But don't share anything you don't feel comfortable sharing, look after yourself.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

C.M. Kruger posted:

Best wishes Battuta, I hope everything will get better for you soon.

Same.

Also, got Monster Baru Cormorant for Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone got recs for good horror sci-fi? Last thing I read (for the second time) that came close was Blindsight. Also, some sections of The Expanse.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone got recs for good horror sci-fi? Last thing I read (for the second time) that came close was Blindsight. Also, some sections of The Expanse.

Steel Frame has a few horror elements, since you mentioned the Expanse and may not need full-on horror. It's a neat book about mechs and giant rusting battleships.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Luminous Dead, Hull Zero Three, the Southern Reach trilogy (Annihilation et al)?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Black Griffon posted:

Ship of Fools (Unto Leviathan if you're in the UK)

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

cptn_dr posted:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

cptn_dr posted:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

cptn_dr posted:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Thanks for the sci-horror recs, keep them coming if you have them!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Steel Frame has a few horror elements, since you mentioned the Expanse and may not need full-on horror. It's a neat book about mechs and giant rusting battleships.

Read mech and giant rusting battleships, headed to the store page and read "centuries old mech" and "permanent unnerving storm in space" and bought it without thinking twice. It's like all my favorite food at once. How did you know.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Steel Frame is one of the best books of my recent reads. A good self contained story with a nice flow and cool setup.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Update on the attack helicopter, from the Clarkesworld comments.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 14, 2020

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Iron Council by China Miéville - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1TH6/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

cptn_dr posted:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

cptn_dr posted:

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

cptn_dr posted:

Hey lack of insurance sucks, let us know if we can crowd fund some health care for you.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

tima posted:

Hey lack of insurance sucks, let us know if we can crowd fund some health care for you.

Oh poo poo, is that what's happening?

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh poo poo, is that what's happening?

Not to invade gb's privacy, but if you look him up on Twitter he has been talking about it for the past few days.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

tima posted:

Not to invade gb's privacy, but if you look him up on Twitter he has been talking about it for the past few days.
Just catching up on the thread, but it looks like GB's tweets are protected (now? I think I remember they were public before). Honestly I don't know what's going on - if this is medical issues or family tragedy or being harassed by the alt-right or whichever - but to add to the chorus, if you're reading this I've always enjoyed both your work and your posts here, hope things get better asap.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't know what's going on with him, but I'm assuming that he's working through some depression. He had some issues with it either last year or so.

That's my guess, anyway. No idea about the tweets since they are protected. Depression sucks, and I hope he checks in here and sees the feedback we have for him. He's a good dude.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Anyone read Winter World by A. G. Riddle and have thoughts? Premise seems cool, reviews drawing similarities with Dan Brown makes me skeptical.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Solidarity to the General.

Incredible cover for his next Baru book. So excited for it. If you haven't seen it link.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

Shout outs to one of my favorite posters, General Battuta, who’s having a very rough time of it. Please get well, we care about you.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ed balls balls man posted:

Incredible cover for his next Baru book. So excited for it. If you haven't seen it link.

That is indeed pretty sweet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I thought Tyrant was his title for the last book?

I hope things pick up for him.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jedit posted:

I thought Tyrant was his title for the last book?

I hope things pick up for him.
I also thought Tyrant was going to be book 4 and also hope things turn around for GB :(

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Great cover!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I also thought Tyrant was going to be book 4 and also hope things turn around for GB :(

Judging by the page length (752) vs 401 and 449 for books 1 and 2, maybe the publisher realized it was better to re-merge the forced split to a quadrilogy, so now Tyrant is the last book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

There was William Gibson chat happening earlier, bringing it back up so certain peeps can get their privacy on.

Never saw Gibson as a great counter-cultural writer, always saw Gibson as the scifi precursor version of Bret Easton Ellis. Both are peak white boomers, both had one or two interesting mega-selling novels early in their careers, both aged (hard) out of their writing comfort zones, both have focused on increasingly shallower and shallower stories as society/events outraced their wildest ideas.

Resnick death:
Mike Resnick wrote the same generic main character in his stories time after time after time after time, but that was good enough for sci-fi during the 60s/70s/80s. That's why nobody really remembers any of his stories outside of the Fall of Mankind/Birthright collection. Resnick's conduct towards female writers and female fans at scifi conventions was terrible in the Isaac Asimov/Harlan Ellison way. Things got shushed down because Resnick was best friends with the people that ran the conventions/had seniority at scifi panels/had anthology editorship power.

Thinking back about Isaac Asimov, and his #MeToo gropiness: guess that's why Asimov wrote so many robot/3 laws of robotics stories. Robots can't speak out or fight back when they get groped or worse.