Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What am I doing wrong? I can't land a shuttle here because it says I don't have an unobstructed shuttle bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Has anyone had any success in getting android tiers (and the ++ expansion) working with psychology in the current version? I've been shuffling my load order around but couldn't get the psyche tab to appear on any of my bots. I was prompted to look into this by the fact that it disappears when I got someone operating a surrogate.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

What am I doing wrong? I can't land a shuttle here because it says I don't have an unobstructed shuttle bay.

Try putting a door in the gap and possibly a door to the outside and see if that helps.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There is a door in the gap, it's just open. I tried closing it too, and tried with a door to the outside, both open and closed. No dice.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Got a small request for anyone who knows how to mod this game, rimcuisine 2's tea, coffee, and energy drinks aren't in the drug policy menu and I'd really love if they were.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah instead colonists just suck em down until they're immediately addicted or some, passing out from caffeine overdose.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mzbundifund posted:

That's super bizarre, I have nearly the exact same layout for one of my bays and I can land there perfectly fine, so it looks like you did everything right :confused:

When you hover over the shuttle bay, make sure it says this in the bottom left (check all 5x5 tiles just to be sure). If it does, try saving and reloading your game. That's about all I can think of.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

The advice I saw was to leave a 2 tile wide floor space around the shuttle bay. It can be finicky if there's walls or buildings right next to it. Not sure if that's expressly necessary though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does anyone know specifics about how hospitality guest beds work? Specifically, is there any sort of calculation about what price people will pay for a bed? Is it based on room quality or anything? As far as I can tell it seems quite random, with some people refusing to pay at all. I assume there's specific funding limits for people? Will people prefer to pay for beds if they can?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Right now I know that guests get a -1 mood debuff per 10 silver. I've witnessed guests exist at a lower Expectation than my regular pawns.

I dunno, I keep a p wide range of accomodations. The shack outside my walls are free, the barracks room with 6 beds and nothing else are 20, my doubles are a double bed with dresser and end table are 30, and my master suites are 50. Thinking about jacking those rates up, especially for my magnum opus coming soon, fuckin Royal bed takes 5000 labor to build.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I've been doing broadly the same but I don't know if room quality actually matters or whether you can just stuff a pile of beds into a room at varying prices and they'll pay whatever.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

RIP Beaver got her head exploded right the hell off her shoulders you were a real one*

*A skilled constructor

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Danaru posted:

That's super bizarre, I have nearly the exact same layout for one of my bays and I can land there perfectly fine, so it looks like you did everything right :confused:

When you hover over the shuttle bay, make sure it says this in the bottom left (check all 5x5 tiles just to be sure). If it does, try saving and reloading your game. That's about all I can think of.

Thanks, this helped me figure it out. I had a power cable running under the ship when I built it, and when I took off the power cable came with. Removing the invisible power conduit under the shuttle bay solved the problem.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Me: Throws all my grenades at hunting warg.

The rest of the trade caravan:

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
After years of stockpiling antigrain mortar shells I finally started using them. It's a beautiful thing one-shotting tribal raids with 120+ troops.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I need to actually start using mortars, I even stole one from a siege and have it set up, but I keep falling back on just setting up more turrets.

On a modding note, Vanilla Expanded released a new module for Art related stuff :toot: it all looks cool but of special note is a pedestal you can use like a shelf to show off your really cool poo poo. Also rugs which come at a great time since you cant put down carpet on a ship

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I use a mortar accuracy mod that reduces the miss with shooting and intellect, it's a lot of fun to use offensively too.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So of you try to mortar a raid, do you just aim X tiles ahead of it and hope you compensated for travel time well enough? I haven't used mortars outside of taking out poison/psychic ships since a yearish ago, when a tantruming visitor decided to break the first thing he could find

which was an antigrain warhead

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Thats the other thing about the mortar accuracy mod, good operators can lead moving targets provided they dont change heading

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I use CE which adds a nice effect whereby you can give people binoculars, which they can use to designate targets which you can then target with mortars, and it uses the shooting skill of the targeter, not the mortar operator. Which basically translates to them being about 100% accurate with a decent shooter lol.

Dropping HE Frag on people is great, as is the CE incendiary because it's literally napalm, sticks to people and doesn't go out, huge blast radius too. Downside is it's hell on your own base too for the same reason, especially as it floods the place with smoke if it gets indoors and everyone keels over from smoke inhalation.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Epsilon Plus posted:

So of you try to mortar a raid, do you just aim X tiles ahead of it and hope you compensated for travel time well enough? I haven't used mortars outside of taking out poison/psychic ships since a yearish ago, when a tantruming visitor decided to break the first thing he could find

which was an antigrain warhead

Well using antigrain warheads reduces the need for accuracy quite a bit; most of the potential hit areas will let you destroy someone’s lunch.

I find mortars pretty lackluster until you have four or more; usually I collect them from raids and then set up a mortar pit for trash combatants to man well within my compound, once I have enough for a battery and some rounds stockpiled.

I’m not great at leading moving raids; though I send rounds anyway for practice, I make sure all tubes are off cooldown to drop a volley as soon as the raid makes contact with my perimeter. I don’t normally need to expend a second volley, unless it’s enough living Centipedes to represent a realistic area target.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In vanilla yeah volume of fire is key. You can't hit poo poo, but you can saturate an area with explosions such that you'll hit something by sheer probability.

Griz
May 21, 2001

apparently even two mortars is enough to make siege raids immediately attack you (they didn't even finish building their sandbags)

also handy for those times when a raid shows up at like 6pm and camps on the edge of the map and you'd really rather have them attack now instead of in the middle of the night

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
If you use mortars, build a munitions dump. Make a separate shed with a critical-importance stockpile that accepts only dangerous shells (so not EMP or firefoam) and maybe chemfuel and grenades. Put a firefoam popper in there if you can afford it. Put double-thick stone walls around it. You will have some dumb rear end in a top hat decide to take out a tantrum on a shell one day and a stitch in time saves nine (but probably not the dumb rear end in a top hat).

One or two mortars is enough to deter most siege raids. You have to cause a certain amount of harm or blow up both of their mortars or their raw materials for mortars to make them attack. Aim at the mortar blueprints or their shell stockpile, and use HE. Blowing up their shells isn't actually directly useful - they'll pod in more shells - but the collateral explosions will often kill enough raiders to prompt a direct attack.

One or two mortars is also a good tool for cracking open any ship part that lands outside your base. You'll need to keep bombing the part until the mechanoids hit your defenses or until the firefight starts, though; mechanoids like to deaggro quickly.

You really need at least 4-6 mortars to deter other kinds of raids, and 10ish shells per mortar is a good target. Assuming you're not using mods, only make HE and EMP. Fire is too unreliable and doesn't do enough damage; it's really only for going and sieging enemy bases. Firefoam is useless. Honestly EMP isn't anything special; its main benefit is that you can drop it on your settlers' heads if necessary, as long as you aren't relying on shields or turrets in that area. (It works well with attack dogs.)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A few mortars trivializes the poison/psychic ship event. Keep lobbing shots at the ship until the mechanoids that came out make it all the way to your regular defenses, deal with them as usual. Send a few pawns to bust up the ship part and haul back the loot.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I use the incendiary mortar shells against siege raiders if I'm playing on terrain like forests or grasslands. Probably HE is much more effective, but there's something fun about setting the surrounding terrain on fire and watching the raiders try to beat out fires in their small camp area until they're overwhelmed.

Also, with the Pre-Emptive Strike mod you can get information about the exact entry location of raids. Sometimes I'll start huge fires a few hours in advance of their raid just to gently caress with them especially if it's a delayed attack or a siege.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
If there’s something to burn then incendiary shells are much more efficient against siege raiders. You will need far fewer shells to get something done.

I’d generally agree that they’re not super useful though.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Sieges attack as soon as they are unable to continue sieging, so if you blow up their mortars or ammo they will come at you immediately. But sieges are bad ideas because mortar accuracy mod owns and you just poo poo on people.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Also if the siege party takes enough damage they will quit building and attack. I’ve never tested this jut have always assumed it was roughly equivalent to the threshold where a Delayed raid will start an attack if you have your sniper pawns taking shots at them.

I like to build a Granite blockhouse with holes punched in the roof for the mortars, and separate one-tile niches keeping an ammo stack per gun tube, walled off to prevent chain-cooking and shape explosion propagation away from the gunner. EMP as well as firefoam just get a stockpile in the mortar pit; I also have never had firefoam shells and a tube available anytime I’ve had a crisis-level mapwide burn, but two tubes of EMP and everyone else on HE makes psychic and poison parts a fun time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Anyone used scyther shells from Android Tiers? I have four or five of them lined up for the next time I get a decent sized humanoid raid. No idea what exactly they do or how effective they are but kinda looking forward to experimenting with new flavors of mass murdering. Gotta spice things up every so often.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Danaru posted:

Hey good news! You actually CAN launch transport pods into orbit to land at your ship! You'll need a mod like Long Range Transport Pods to do it, since it takes a ton of chemfuel (270 for me, it might depend on your latitude) Even though it says the contents will be lost, it'll drop somewhere on the map so make sure your haulers are suited up.

So this apparently isn't actually quite true. It turns out the way they got the ship working is by adding a settlement to coordinates 69,0 (:lol:) and moving the icon into orbit. This means any attempt to drop pod people means they land in the tundra and are stuck there as a caravan. Fortunately this doesn't really matter because it was basically just me dickshitting trying to be clever to save chemfuel :frogdunce:

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

bird food bathtub posted:

Anyone used scyther shells from Android Tiers? I have four or five of them lined up for the next time I get a decent sized humanoid raid. No idea what exactly they do or how effective they are but kinda looking forward to experimenting with new flavors of mass murdering. Gotta spice things up every so often.

Drop a few at once into the middle of an attacking force and it's like a mad squirrel assault as each shell bursts into 8 or 9 mini-scythers and they shred things.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anyone have issues converting Android Tiers++ androids? I captured a T4 and used the "convert advanced android" bill, but now any tab listing colonists stops showing anyone after him on the list, and doesnt show his work priorities. When he's off the map the tabs work fine and when he comes back, they break again. He's not that great so I wont feel awful self destructing him, but it's a free T4 :ohdear:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Dev kill and revive probably fixes it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Nalesh posted:

Dev kill and revive probably fixes it

I'll give that a shot when I get home, I keep forgetting the revive command exists

E: That did it :toot: thanks!

Danaru fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 16, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

So as a big slut for mods I was wondering what hidden gems goons might suggest and recommend? I've looked through the front pages of the workship and grabbed a load but I'm curious about ones that might not be so easily found or well-known.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm running through my modlist now for debugging purposes. If you just want to let Jesus take the wheel, I recommend "Immersion +" collection on steam. It is a truly monstrous amount of mods in a loadorder that... works. If your pawns show up as pink squares, just save and reload.

As far as things that are good while I'm looking at my frankenstein monster of 341 subscribed mods:
Kurin, the Three Tailed Fox: adds animes as an alien faction. All their text is in korean, which is fun.
Simple Search Bar: Adds a search bar, when you inject mods straight into your veins, typing is easier then memorizing location.
Faction Blender: tosses all your races into an additional blended faction. I enjoy having a faction of animes, wookies, and skeletons as neighbors.
[FSF] Growable Grass: Lets you plant grass as a half step between nothing and haygrass.
Show Draftees Weapon: Put the weapon below the pawn status bar so I don't have to remember who has gun and who has sword.
TicksPerSecond: Adds a little indicator fps style above the speed switch. Useful for my recordings.
Megafauna and Dinosaura: They add big animals for your pawns to go all monster hunter on.
Skilled Stonecutting: See, back in my day my pawn got crafting skill from making big rocks into little rocks. I hate the future so I put this in my loadorder.
Camera+: Lets me zoom alll the way out
Labels on Floor: Lets me put a name on all my rooms and grow zones
[SYR] Scar Removal: If you luck into some glitterworld meds you can use them to remove painful scars.
[KV] Trading Spot - 1.0: Lets you designate where you want these massive fuckin caravans to hang out at in your base
Wall Light
Veinminer R1.0: Lets you just click a minable tile and it'll just designate all of the *resource* for you

SIMPLE STOCKPILE PRESETS: Adds various presets for stockpile settings in a comfortable float menu. HOLY gently caress I CANNOT IMAGINE MY LIFE WITHOUT THIS. If only I could program my own presets.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Greenworld Lite and Snowy Trees. They just make the game look nicer.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

So as a big slut for mods I was wondering what hidden gems goons might suggest and recommend? I've looked through the front pages of the workship and grabbed a load but I'm curious about ones that might not be so easily found or well-known.

I'm happy with many of the mods produced by Rainbeau Flambe (they put [RF] in their mod titles).

More Faction Interaction, Sparkling Worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RF fertile fields is a great terraforming/farmland mod.

Rimcuisine is also pretty good for more stuff to grow, the harder to grow things use the insect meat mechanic where if they're used to make meals they affect the mood of colonists, except positively rather than negatively.