Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
personally i'm rooting for a hellmouth to open beneath the canvas and consume both men into hellfire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
if Antonio Brown’s behavior seems odd or unexplainable just search “Antonio Brown Burfict hit” and things will become clear

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-antonio-brown-throws-penis-candy-curses-at-police-2020-1
He's too stupid to be afraid of anything.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Burfict hit to his head in 2016 was the single worst headshot I’ve ever seen in a football game. He’s lucky he didn’t die. It is no surprise that his brain is now only semi-functional.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Marching Powder posted:

Here's some fan fiction to enjoy.

AB's Diary - The Logan Paul Showdown Countdown

10 to go

Feelin fine. Yesterday I sparred 15 rounds with 15 fresh golden gloves champions. Moving like a pro. Tapering off from here. Need to hit Fight Night at max output. C'MONNNNNNNN!

Exhaustion: 70%
Confidence: 98%
Likelihood of beating the weird dickhead: 99%

8 to go

Some light roadwork. Yoga. Calisthenics. Lot of effort going into nutrition. Pretty much sitting at my goal weight before a small cut. Checked social media and it's a buzz to see so many people from so many industries tuning in. Hell of a promotional vehicle this. Fun to.

Exhaustion: 45%
Confidence: 97%
Likelihood of beating the weird dickhead: I'll give him a break. He's trained hard to. 98.5%

6 to go

Went to the press conference today and it was an absolute shitfight. Why are there so many 8 year old children here, and who taught them all those slurs? I don't really want to watch that loving circus back to see if I was able to say anything worthwhile inbetween the insinuations that 'I don't even know' and the rap performance. I'm not going to lie, I didn't sleep well tonight.

Exhaustion: 55%
Confidence: 87%
Likelihood of beating the weird dickhead: 95%

4 to go

I've thrown my phone in the bin. I don't know why millions of kids are printing out photos of me and making GBS threads on them, but I'm almost positive I will never be able to use that twitter handle again. Oh. Yep. poo poo in the letterbox too.

Exhaustion: 70%
Confidence: 70%
Likelihood of beating the weird dickhead: 70%

2 to go

I haven't slept properly in a while. What if I lose to this guy? I am objectively better than him in every measurable metric except for 'number of children exploited' - and that still makes me the moral victor in this. What do I stand to gain by doing this? There's no backing out now though. As humiliating as it would be to walk out there and be physically humiliated by that sneering shitbag, the only thing objectively worse would be to pick this fight and not go through with this. I have to go through with this.

Exhaustion: 90%
Confidence: 55%
Likelihood of beating the weird dickhead: ???

The Big Day

At least the lack of sleep makes the dickhead's inane banter easier to dismiss. All my friends are telling me things I already know about the difference in speed, training, and preparation. The expectation of me as a pro athlete is that I just blast him out of there effortlessly. What if I lose? Is there any single person disconnected enough in the united states to not know that I got humiliatingly laid out by Logan Paul within six seconds of it happening? Huh. Apparently when you get knocked out you sometimes subconsciously poo poo yourself. I'm sure I can just put that out of my mind.

Exhaustion: I'M A PRO ATHLETE BABY
Confidence: I'M A PRO ATHLETE BABY
Likelihood of beating the weird dickhead: THE ALTERNATIVE IS LOSING TO LOGAN PAUL AND EVERYONE KNOWING ABOUT IT

“Letterbox” and Antonio Brown doesn’t sexually assault anyone or threaten to kill his kids’ mom, you can tell this was written by an Australian who has no idea who Antonio Brown is

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Marin Karin posted:

personally i'm rooting for a hellmouth to open beneath the canvas and consume both men into hellfire

Same but also the rest of the Earth.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

maybe it's different at the highest level but i will be shocked if antonio doesn't gas after ~1 round like every other guy on earth in his first fight

It's not like Paul has a great gas tank though and you'd have to imagine that playing football at the highest level for your whole life is going to give you a bit more stamina taking thirst trap selfies and recording vlogs.

E: to be clear, Logan Paul is a pretty athletic dude and would kick my rear end, but I just don't see him having any type of athletic advantage on AB, I also think that of the two AB is going to have a much bigger desire to win and probably more heart in the ring.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

DeimosRising posted:

“Letterbox” and Antonio Brown doesn’t sexually assault anyone or threaten to kill his kids’ mom, you can tell this was written by an Australian who has no idea who Antonio Brown is

Lol and would knowing who Antonio Brown is negate him from the extremely unique pressures placed on people who have never fought before?

Jump King posted:

It's not like Paul has a great gas tank though and you'd have to imagine that playing football at the highest level for your whole life is going to give you a bit more stamina taking thirst trap selfies and recording vlogs.

E: to be clear, Logan Paul is a pretty athletic dude and would kick my rear end, but I just don't see him having any type of athletic advantage on AB, I also think that of the two AB is going to have a much bigger desire to win and probably more heart in the ring.

Logan Paul is not a fifth of the athlete Antonio is. But two fights experience under these sorts of conditions is a remarkable leveller. Here's ex-UFC and NFL commentator Mike Goldberg to talk about the 'UFC jitters' professional fighters still visibly get when first fighting in an event of this size: "Thanks Joe, I'm a loving amphetamine addict, corn to the core."

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Brown's played in the super bowl. I'm sure he'll have some unique pressure and jitters from a fight, but I think he's going to be able to figure that stuff out sooner than guys who haven't been on a big stage before.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Antonio Brown didn't even knock out Mike Mayock in a hallway, I don't think he's got power in his hands

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jump King posted:

Brown's played in the super bowl. I'm sure he'll have some unique pressure and jitters from a fight, but I think he's going to be able to figure that stuff out sooner than guys who haven't been on a big stage before.

It's really difficult to verbalise the difference in nerves between stepping into a stadium before an audience of millions and playing a very specific roll that you've been trained to be an absolute expert at since before you could reliably make it to the toilet before you pee, and stepping into a stadium before an audience of millions and engaging in the universally recognised determination of one's masculinity that you've been trained to do for a couple of months. And also the person you are fighting is so universally detested that you will get zero credit for beating him and a lifetime of unending scorn for losing to him.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

It's really difficult to verbalise the difference in nerves between stepping into a stadium before an audience of millions and playing a very specific roll that you've been trained to be an absolute expert at since before you could reliably make it to the toilet before you pee, and stepping into a stadium before an audience of millions and engaging in the universally recognised determination of one's masculinity that you've been trained to do for a couple of months. And also the person you are fighting is so universally detested that you will get zero credit for beating him and a lifetime of unending scorn for losing to him.

Yeah I also think about Logan Paul when I talk about great boxers.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mexican willie posted:

Yeah I also think about Logan Paul when I talk about great boxers.

i'd like to fully admit that i definitely said logan paul was a great boxer, and further i definitely said that in the paragraph he quoted.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Maybe it would be instructive to look at one Aaron Pico. Pico was a stud wrestler who at 19 was the first teenager to be invited to the Olympic trials in 40 years and the reason he didn't make the team was basically providence. He won impressive accolades on enormous stages in the sport. Still not content, he started boxing where he won 2 consecutive golden gloves comps winning 'most outstanding fighter' at each.

In 2014, Pico garnered major sponsorships (including a Nike shoe deal) and was basically paid to prepare to become the next big thing in MMA.

He debuted in 2017 against an 8-2 fighter who still worked a job. 24 seconds later Pico was rendered insensible.

Hmmm.....

Nah.....

That ain't it....

Maybe it would be instructive to look at CM Punk. Punk has performed in front of audiences Dana White would kill every poor child on Earth to regularly court half of. Punk is so at ease in front of crowds he is the only person to this day that could maintain both conversation and an intimidatingly powerful stream in front of piss collection's most unsettling agent. He trained for a full year at a champion's camp and surrounded by champions, but lost in the most humiliating way possible to the worst most credible fighter they could find - Mickey Gall. 2 fights.

Now look, Mickey Gall had a shitload of training and experience before his two pro wins and Logan's 2 fights don't count for nearly as much, but I hope I'm making clear that being used to big stages and world class camps have historically taken a back seat to people who have gone out there and had a loving fight or two.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

and also the person you are fighting is so universally detested that you will get zero credit for beating him and a lifetime of unending scorn for losing to him.

At this point I'm not sure you know who AB is. Or even Paul for that matter.

As for your other examples, those I admit I don't know much about the 8-2 fighter that Aaron Pico lost to or Mickey Gall, but I'm going to assume that they want to be fighters, or at the very least they're drawn to scrapping to some degree. Logan Paul isn't like that. This isn't a situation where one face guy with empty hype gets brought down by an underdog trying his best. This is two empty hype guys going at it.

To your point, I'm sure if Antonio Brown fights Logan Paul then he's going to react with a certain type of fight nervousness that he has never had to deal with before, but I don't think it's going to make him lose. Logan Paul may have more experience in the ring, but if you watched him fight he's just not a fighter. He doesn't like fighting. Does Brown? I have no clue, but if KSI can beat Logan Paul on heart alone, I certainly think Brown could.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jump King posted:

At this point I'm not sure you know who AB is. Or even Paul for that matter.

As for your other examples, those I admit I don't know much about the 8-2 fighter that Aaron Pico lost to or Mickey Gall, but I'm going to assume that they want to be fighters, or at the very least they're drawn to scrapping to some degree. Logan Paul isn't like that. This isn't a situation where one face guy with empty hype gets brought down by an underdog trying his best. This is two empty hype guys going at it.

To your point, I'm sure if Antonio Brown fights Logan Paul then he's going to react with a certain type of fight nervousness that he has never had to deal with before, but I don't think it's going to make him lose. Logan Paul may have more experience in the ring, but if you watched him fight he's just not a fighter. He doesn't like fighting. Does Brown? I have no clue, but if KSI can beat Logan Paul on heart alone, I certainly think Brown could.

i know ab is a football player who spends 100% of his time in hyper-masculine environments and logan paul exploits children for profit using loopholes in regulations we desperately need to close.

and yes, gall and the guy with no wikipedia page were themselves fighters, but fighters who have been fighting professionally in front of thousands live will tell you the difference between that and something like the UFC - where you are being broadcast to millions.

logan paul has the edge over ab in both time spent in that high pressure situation and time spent actually fighting a fully resisting opponent while in that high pressure situation. i understand it's your position that this doesn't count for poo poo, but in my experience it should, at least, even the odds and perhaps even tip them in logan's favour.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Marching Powder posted:

Maybe it would be instructive to look at CM Punk.

Lol, no, cuz you can tell CM doesn't have a bone of athleticism in his body.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Lol, no, cuz you can tell CM doesn't have a bone of athleticism in his body.

i was coming at it from a 'performing in front of an intimidating number of people in an industry you're a titan of isn't even worth bringing up here my friend' angle. i'm not sure how that didn't translate but the accusation that i thought cm punk was in any way competent is definitely insulting.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ufc, but i think comparable to headlining a ppv watched by millions

quote:

"I fought two great big guys in that tournament. The first guy was 300 pounds, the second was about 290 ... I remember being about ready to piss my pants walking into that cage. I wasn't sure if I wanted to climb the fence and run or stand in there and fight."

-- Randy Couture

"It was an amazing experience. I was so nervous. The thing just went well but I didn't fight the fight I wanted to ... I made a lot of mistakes, but the important thing for me was that I won. That's all that matters."

-- Georges St. Pierre

"... he had never been as nervous going into a bout, noting how he was not used to seeing himself on billboards around town."

-- Rampage Jackson

"He [Pat Miletich] had been right that this was a fight like any other fight, yet the consequences would be huge."

-- Matt Hughes

"I knew at my age I wasn't going to get overawed with nerves. What I wasn't prepared for was I was just so excited whenever I was in there. I didn't relax when I was throwing the shots. I just realized when it was too late, 'My God, how can I be tired after the training I've done.' But I was. I was just so uptight... Over here I would be sort of more known for how cool and how calm I am when under pressure. But I just got carried away, the Belfast crowd going wild."

-- Colin Robinson

"It is an entirely different experience than any other fight show I've ever been in, anywhere in the world.... It was a strange feeling walking out in front of all those people. I felt very, very much like I didn't really belong ... You're completely in awe of everything going around you and, for myself anyways, the first time I just didn't feel like I was prepared for it."

-- Joe Doerksen

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
How many fights till Logan Paul fights Anthony Joshua? Make it happen Eddie Hearn

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

A better example would be Brock Lesnar, beast of a man that can win on strength alone without knowing the technical details of professional fighting.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
AB is an elite athlete, but the NFL is really about short bursts of speed/strength, not the endurance of 12 rounds in the ring. The games average a little over 3 hours, but the ball is actually in play for maybe 12 minutes. And AB would only be playing for half of that. So 6 minutes over 3 hours. Now, that's 6 minutes of absolute balls-to-the-wall effort in a fast, brutal game that demands enormous pain tolerance, but it's still 6 minutes.

I nevertheless assume that he'll obliterate LP if he takes his training even somewhat seriously.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

i know ab is a football player who spends 100% of his time in hyper-masculine environments and logan paul exploits children for profit using loopholes in regulations we desperately need to close.

and yes, gall and the guy with no wikipedia page were themselves fighters, but fighters who have been fighting professionally in front of thousands live will tell you the difference between that and something like the UFC - where you are being broadcast to millions.

logan paul has the edge over ab in both time spent in that high pressure situation and time spent actually fighting a fully resisting opponent while in that high pressure situation. i understand it's your position that this doesn't count for poo poo, but in my experience it should, at least, even the odds and perhaps even tip them in logan's favour.

I’m not saying that it doesn’t count for poo poo, but I don’t think Logan Paul is capable of exploiting it because he’s a rich pretty boy who does not like to be punched and gasses after two rounds. He frankly doesn’t have to try hard at fighting because his success doesn’t depend on that. Very different situation than overlooked unrated underdogs who want nothing more than to beat an A-side opponent.

AB is already going to be getting unending scorn for the rest of his life as it is so I doubt he’s going to be losing his wig about his public perception after a Logan Paul fight.

It’s also true that football isn’t about endurance but I’m perhaps wrongly assuming that any nfl player has probably spent more time in his life working on cardio than Logan Paul has to.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

“Fighting in front of a crowd for the first time will unnerve anybody, it’s a crazy effect”

“Yeah but Logan Paul is bad”

“Yeah but when it’s your first time in front of a crowd a bad opponent can beat you”

“Paul has no heart”

Repeat forever I guess

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean there are plenty of people who fought in front of a crowd the first time & didn’t immediately die. Leon Spinks got knocked out by a debuting fighter in the 90s, some guy with a shitload of nervous energy who used it effectively

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 16, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

performing in front of an intimidating number of people in an industry you're a titan of

I'm sure there's some nerves from being a pro wrestling performer, but it's not the same as an athletic competition with no predetermined flow and outcome.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure there's some nerves from being a pro wrestling performer, but it's not the same as an athletic competition with no predetermined flow and outcome.

i could have sworn this was my entire point for like half a dozen unnecessarily long posts

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

i could have sworn this was my entire point for like half a dozen unnecessarily long posts

I thought you were trying to equate:
- pro wrestling show nerves being insufficient prep for combat sports
- nfl pro game nerves being insufficient prep for combat sports
which I was arguing against.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I thought you were trying to equate:
- pro wrestling show nerves being insufficient prep for combat sports
- nfl pro game nerves being insufficient prep for combat sports
which I was arguing against.

i was equating those things, but i had no idea you were making that point when you pointed to punk's negative athleticism. i'd like to hear your argument for why either of those things are sufficient prep for an unscripted fist fight when you suck at fighting.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

i was equating those things, but i had no idea you were making that point when you pointed to punk's negative athleticism. i'd like to hear your argument for why either of those things are sufficient prep for an unscripted fist fight when you suck at fighting.

he's saying that the nerves of playing football (america's biggest sport) and in the superbowl (america's most watches sporting event) will get you much more equipped for the nerves of a fight than being a pro wrestler does.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

antonio brown for some reason: ooh ahh, being in front of a big crowd to engage in a tough physical sport where I have to show off how tough i am and might get really hurt really unsettles me! I hate this! I'm going to get hurt by america's richest vlogger

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jump King posted:

antonio brown for some reason: ooh ahh, being in front of a big crowd to engage in a tough physical sport where I have to show off how tough i am and might get really hurt really unsettles me! I hate this! I'm going to get hurt by america's richest vlogger

it's really cute you think this when there are several first hand accounts from actual, experienced fighters before their first fight in front of a national audience all saying how close to pissing themselves / running away they were. good to know that a guy playing a sport in a helmet and armour with 63 other people is so well prepared to deal with that particular pressure.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Look at this pussy with his body armor, no doubt making GBS threads his pants over the prospect of a Logan Paul jab. https://youtu.be/-tfLncD3pGM

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

K-1, but remember Bob Sapp knocked out Ernesto Hoost twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK-1m-q4etk

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Look at this pussy with his body armor, no doubt making GBS threads his pants over the prospect of a Logan Paul jab. https://youtu.be/-tfLncD3pGM

hahaha you people are so loving insecure about how masculine football is perceived to be

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Marching Powder posted:

hahaha you people are so loving insecure about how masculine football is perceived to be

That wasn’t the point dumbass

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

That wasn’t the point dumbass

yeah i'm sure you tedious, pouting dweebs will get round to spelling it out for my dumb rear end soon and i'm really looking forwward to it. they should be studying skin this thin and made entirely of wedgies.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
spelling things out doesn’t help for people who can’t read

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

spelling things out doesn’t help for people who can’t read

ah. good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hope the DAZN execs are reading this thread, they could fill up a whole season's worth of meaningless internet grudge matches.