Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm back to my re-read of the Discworld books. I was worried Monstrous Regiment wouldn't work the second time around with all of its reveals but I'm having a good time.

And just like with most of the series I'm only getting certain gags now. Like Maledict at the very zenith of coffee withdrawal falling into the pose from Platoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Shoehead posted:

I'm back to my re-read of the Discworld books. I was worried Monstrous Regiment wouldn't work the second time around with all of its reveals but I'm having a good time.

And just like with most of the series I'm only getting certain gags now. Like Maledict at the very zenith of coffee withdrawal falling into the pose from Platoon

There's a lot of double and triple meanings in there that take on new light after you've been through once, like Strappi beginning the traditional NCO's wake-up cry of "hands off cocks, on with socks" and changing it to "hands off...well, you lot wouldn't be able to find 'em...".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh.

https://twitter.com/bbcamerica/status/1217986066852012032

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I know I shouldn't judge it from a couple of pictures but this looks more like some show that's set in post apocalyptic London than anything to do with Discworld.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I know I shouldn't judge it from a couple of pictures but this looks more like some show that's set in post apocalyptic London than anything to do with Discworld.

That's almost exactly what my friend just said about it - "looks like London 100 years after WW3"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah you know what, I'm starting to get what they're going for and I'm digging it. Major Terry Gilliam vibes especially from those armors.

Gonna flop pretty hard because of NOT MY DISCWORLD, guessing we'll get one hastily abridged season.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Hopefully it's different enough to enjoy on it's own merits without constantly going "well that's not how I imagined it"?

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

My main takeaway is that I'm sold even harder on the casting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

... hope no one's taking that personally, I'd love a proper Discworld show myself with Ankh-Morpork and dwarves and wizards and witches and all the fantasy trappings, and it's a pity they're not making one, but what they're making looks interesting, they're not going for classic fantasy or Pratchett's Discworld specifically, and social media at large is gonna treat it like they are and dismiss it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It seems far enough removed from Discworld that I can ignore it angst free tbh.

Although I should add I've hated every Pratchett adaptation asides from the games

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shoehead posted:

Although I should add I've hated every Pratchett adaptation asides from the games

Hogfather was very good.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

It was charming, but not good.
Death and nobby were perfect though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shoehead posted:

Hating the Cosgrove Hall animated series is punishable by death.

The Watch does not look good, though. I'll probably watch it anyway, but I'm not confident.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I actually liked Mr Teatime (pronounced "Te-ah-tim-eh") in the Hogfather show. I recently re-read Hogfather during Christmas and was impressed how well the show nailed Mr Teatime.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I do like both Richard adorned and Adam Hugill. Can sorta see where they are going with Jo Eaton-Kent as Cheery (but where’s the beard?), it the rest looks odd or downright awful.

I guess this is “Inspired by” in the same way that the Super Mario Bros. movie was inspired by the games.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I would respect it more if they owned it. "BBC's The Watch: Only Loosely Related to the Books by Sir Terry Pratchett"

But, that's a joke that Pratchett might have made, so I'm guessing it's off the table.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well you can instantly say "oh that's Carrot" so

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jedit posted:

Hating the Cosgrove Hall animated series is punishable by death.

The Watch does not look good, though. I'll probably watch it anyway, but I'm not confident.

I taped em off the tv when I was 11 and I hated em! :v:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The more modern aspects are a little weird, but I'm not put off the style in and of itself. Does make me wonder if they have electricity and/or wizards, but those aren't essential elements of the Watch books in any case.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
LAWKS

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow. Carrot's the only one who's even a little bit recognizable. Everyone else looks like Carnival Row rejects.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

And in case you’re wondering:

https://twitter.com/rhipratchett/status/1172096652603248641?s=21

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I don't remember the pic, but that's because I was in the room. I had thought that The Watch was still more closely in Rhianna's hands, and Pterry said that he couldn't tell her jokes apart from his own. This does not bode well at all.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's been in development hell for so long she presumably wanted to go and do something that seemed like it'd actually have a chance in hell of coming out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

It's been in development hell for so long she presumably wanted to go and do something that seemed like it'd actually have a chance in hell of coming out.

Projects like this tend to go on the back burner but not be forgotten. And Narrativia was meant to have controlling interest over derivative works based on the IP.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Lady Sybil Ramkin for those who didn't click through. Apparently.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shoehead posted:

And the only good discworld game was Noir.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

angerbeet posted:

Why is she so small

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

angerbeet posted:

Whatever other changes get made, making Last Sybil skinny does not inspire confidence that this adaptation will be a thoughtful one.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

No nobby, no colon what the gently caress is this poo poo. Why introduce carrot and cheery at the same time, it's stupid. Carrot is our introduction to the dwarves, and cheery shakes that up and brings changes to their culture. You can't introduce the radical new perspective when we haven't even seen the baseline

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Remora posted:

I would respect it more if they owned it. "BBC's The Watch: Only Loosely Related to the Books by Sir Terry Pratchett"

But, that's a joke that Pratchett might have made, so I'm guessing it's off the table.

I'm not sure this is going to have, like, jokes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

No nobby, no colon
I really really hope they're the dudes in the armor

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think Sybil is the deal breaker for me. The sexy vigilante bit is so played out at this point and Sybil was such a unique, real character

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Most of the cast do definitely look the part (Sam Vimes is almost exactly how I picture him) but I definitely don't have hopes in this adaptation as a whole.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

IMo the cast is too pretty in general - though Vimes is better than i thought - but man, Sybil just rubs it in

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nihilarian posted:

IMo the cast is too pretty in general - though Vimes is better than i thought - but man, Sybil just rubs it in

Does the UK have a shortage of solidly built middle aged women or something?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

From the pictures I wish they'd drop the discworld title and just call it whatever post apocalyptic cyberpunk type show they clearly wanted it to be.

It looks interesting but not as a discworld

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

freelop posted:

From the pictures I wish they'd drop the discworld title and just call it whatever post apocalyptic cyberpunk type show they clearly wanted it to be.

It looks interesting but not as a discworld

Yeah, it's badly distorted and obviously a lens not a disc.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is the guy who played Jorah in GoT seriously too busy to play Sam?

The series looks bad. But then again, none of the adaptions were good, so it's not very surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

angerbeet posted:

#NotMySybil