Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

B-Nasty posted:

Those were simpler times... until the grounding prong came along and ruined all the fun. We could still have space saving designs like this:

You can still get a triplex if you go chonky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Qwijib0 posted:

Bonus, it solves the ground-up/ground-down debate once and for all. I'm ground orientation fluid.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Yeah, but now you have to pick a left / right orientation for the middle plug.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

B-Nasty posted:

Bonus, it solves the ground-up/ground-down debate once and for all. I'm ground orientation fluid.

Nice try but there's not even a debate, right angle appliance plugs with the ground on bottom have proved this.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Nice try but there's not even a debate, right angle appliance plugs with the ground on bottom have proved this.

Tell that to my Amana chest freezer in the garage, for which I just installed a dedicated outlet (ground-down) before looking at the plug, then had to go back and rotate it to be ground-up, so the cord doesn't look like it's trying to do a yoga back-bend.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That thing should be returned as defective.

Or if it were me I'd cut it off and replace with the correct style.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Qwijib0 posted:

this makes my brain hurt.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

On man I want to start back into electrical work just so I can make our local inspector's head explode installing those

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

They’re even UL and CSA approved, surprisingly

http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_AC315.htm

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My grandmother's house - and elementary school - were both full of these.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

angryrobots posted:

On man I want to start back into electrical work just so I can make our local inspector's head explode installing those

Now I want to install two of them side by side with one flipped so I get a sweet circle of six plugs :cool:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

opengl128 posted:

I don't know if it's code, but it SHOULD be ground up from a safety perspective, on the off chance a plug sort-of starts to fall out of the socket, and the pins are exposed, and then also someone drops something thin and metal directly above it and it somehow lands perfectly in the gap between the plug and socket.

With ground pin up, it will hit the ground pin, so then even if it falls onto the hot as well, it's grounded and no issue. With ground down, there's a chance it could short out the hot and neutral.

But I have to question if that sequence of events has EVER happened, or if it's just some NFPA guy's wet dream.

That being said, I prefer down, if only because, as said, things like consumer appliances and other plugs that have an orientation almost always assume it will be down.

I think the only time I consistently see ground plug up is in hospitals.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've heard that hypothetical before and its so absurdly unlikely that I also don't believe it's ever happened.

Besides, ground up just looks wrong.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

opengl128 posted:

I've heard that hypothetical before and its so absurdly unlikely that I also don't believe it's ever happened.

Besides, ground up just looks wrong.

I can imagine it. 20 years ago my first job was a grocery store cashier, the checkout lanes were built to fit the cash register and everything was snug to within a 1/4 inch. Nobody ever pulled it apart to dust/clean so it's conceivable that after 10 years of vibration from the belt motor, cases of beer being slammed down and the cash drawer banging open and shut the plug would work it's way out. Lots of customers didn't want their change so we'd leave it ontop of the register to use on other transactions, and sometimes they'd fall into the cracks.

I still install mine ground down regardless.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

If the ground-down urban legends were true, or there was any justifiable safety benefit, the NFPA would've already had a requirement for outlet orientation in the NEC.

I heard some AHJs require ground-up to represent a switched outlet, because it obviously jumps out as different from the standard ground-down. "Hey, why is this outlet upside down...hmm, I wonder if that switch controls that one."

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

How do you remove one of two adjacent plugs without yanking the cord? These must have been before flanges on plug bases were a thing. At least they're polarized.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

kid sinister posted:

How do you remove one of two adjacent plugs without yanking the cord? These must have been before flanges on plug bases were a thing. At least they're polarized.

Old plugs were small, skinny things. You could likely pull them out pinching the sides without the plug catching on its neighbors above/below.

Still amazingly hazardous.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know if it's code, but it SHOULD be ground up from a safety perspective, on the off chance a plug sort-of starts to fall out of the socket, and the pins are exposed, and then also someone drops something thin and metal directly above it and it somehow lands perfectly in the gap between the plug and socket.

With ground pin up, it will hit the ground pin, so then even if it falls onto the hot as well, it's grounded and no issue. With ground down, there's a chance it could short out the hot and neutral.

But I have to question if that sequence of events has EVER happened, or if it's just some NFPA guy's wet dream.

That being said, I prefer down, if only because, as said, things like consumer appliances and other plugs that have an orientation almost always assume it will be down.

Um. Hot to ground would cause a short. So if this hypothetical coin or picture nail did fall onto the ground pin first and then fall to the side touching the hot it would...

Ya know what? This is silly.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

It's cute that we even debate the miniscule issues like this about US plugs when the UK and EU style plugs exist.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Isn't that like half of the work electricians do though? Making existing outdated equipment as safe as they practically can without an expensive complete replacement.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Hubis posted:

It's cute that we even debate the miniscule issues like this about US plugs when the UK and EU style plugs exist.

UK and EU plugs aren't really similar at all. Also having each appliance fused at the plug is great.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

kecske posted:

UK and EU plugs aren't really similar at all. Also having each appliance fused at the plug is great.

I was mostly thinking about the safety feature of only having the bottom half of the prongs be conductive so that a conductor is never exposed while energized (which I believe both have?). Also the design of the EU plug where it's inset into the outlet, making it inherently mechanically study -- it looked ugly as hell to me at first, but I quickly realized what a good idea it was.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

This exact situation actually happened to me, but I work in AV so the amount of crap clients expect us to cram behind monitors makes this more of a likely scenario. Luckily it just tripped a breaker so all I had to do is let the electrician know.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Hubis posted:

I was mostly thinking about the safety feature of only having the bottom half of the prongs be conductive so that a conductor is never exposed while energized (which I believe both have?).

yeah the live pins (line and neutral - I have to think to get the terms straight) are sheathed along the bottom quarter of their length so that if the plug works loose there's still nothing live to touch. If it works loose enough to go past the sheath and have the live part of the pin exposed then its already broken contact with the supply.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Isn't the net effect of dropping a paper clip across Live and Neutral or Live and Ground effectively the same? You melt the paperclip until the breaker trips? Or would a GFCI trip faster?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

Isn't the net effect of dropping a paper clip across Live and Neutral or Live and Ground effectively the same? You melt the paperclip until the breaker trips? Or would a GFCI trip faster?

Live/ground in a gfci protected circuit would result in a gfci trip *probably* prior to the overcurrent breaker. Live/neutral is all overcurrent breaker. Or the paperclip exploding.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ferrule posted:

Um. Hot to ground would cause a short. So if this hypothetical coin or picture nail did fall onto the ground pin first and then fall to the side touching the hot it would...

Guy Axlerod posted:

Yeah, true...I guess there is no point to ground pin up.

And, uh also, an outlet is clearly a happy face with ground pin down, so there's a reason.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Based off recent conversation, which one of you started this new "challenge"?

https://abc7chicago.com/outlet-challenge-could-cause-fire-serious-injury/5869905/

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Nevets posted:

Isn't that like half of the work electricians do though? Making existing outdated equipment as safe as they practically can without an expensive complete replacement.

We make existing, outdated equipment as safe as possible and make it look difficult to do so which is why we're all millionaires.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Note that with ground up, you have a 50/50 chance of a N/G short (or near as makes no difference, given the difference in size between L/N), so you're cutting your number of incidents in half. With ground down, you have a 100% chance of an L/N short (for anything that would actually short, that is).

I mean I don't really care because in any case we're talking about a teeny tiny chance of this actually occurring (half of 0 is still 0), but if we're arguing technicalities then they are not functionally equivalent.

edit: durr someone already mentioned this. not sure how I didn't see it.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 24, 2020

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

Note that with ground up, you have a 50/50 chance of a N/G short (or near as makes no difference, given the difference in size between L/N), so you're cutting your number of incidents in half. With ground down, you have a 100% chance of an L/N short (for anything that would actually short, that is).

I mean I don't really care because in any case we're talking about a teeny tiny chance of this actually occurring (half of 0 is still 0), but if we're arguing technicalities then they are not functionally equivalent.

edit: durr someone already mentioned this. not sure how I didn't see it.

We should do what they do for UK plugs (I think) which is plastic coat the shafts of the pins so that if the plug isn’t seated properly you can’t short anything

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Is there any reason why a circuit breaker+plug expander after a GFCI outlet would be unsafe? I have only one duplex outlet in my bathroom and more things I want to plug in. The expander I have in hand is sized to plug into and cover a shorter non-GFCI outlet, so it doesn't fit. It doesn't actually use anything from the bottom outlet, it just has a plastic piece that normally goes into the second ground socket. I can't think of anything electrically different about it compared to a GFCI breaker in a panel followed by downstream breakers and more outlets

(And if you have ground up outlets with a droopy plug getting worked out, won't the ground contact break connection first? That seems worse than the hypothetical falling paperclip)

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

Is there any reason why a circuit breaker+plug expander after a GFCI outlet would be unsafe?

Nope, that's fine.

Just don't forget to test/reset your GFCIs regularly... Nobody does this, which is why the newer ones auto-test.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Foxfire_ posted:

Is there any reason why a circuit breaker+plug expander after a GFCI outlet would be unsafe? I have only one duplex outlet in my bathroom and more things I want to plug in. The expander I have in hand is sized to plug into and cover a shorter non-GFCI outlet, so it doesn't fit. It doesn't actually use anything from the bottom outlet, it just has a plastic piece that normally goes into the second ground socket. I can't think of anything electrically different about it compared to a GFCI breaker in a panel followed by downstream breakers and more outlets

(And if you have ground up outlets with a droopy plug getting worked out, won't the ground contact break connection first? That seems worse than the hypothetical falling paperclip)

Nope. I suppose if you use one of those giant 6-outlet ones that is designed to screw into the center of a duplex, that screw might cause problems and push buttons.

Daisy chaining breakers of any type can be a pain if one trips and you need to find which one it was. There can be some weirdness with the length of the cable between the device and the GFCI. My older clothes washer would trip the GFCI if it was plugged in directly, but wouldn't trip if I had it plugged into that same GFCI via a 100' extension cord. I eventually swapped the GFCI for a commercial grade one.

Actually, it wouldn't. The ground prong is longer than the hot and neutral prongs.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

So what is going on here? Trying to wire a fan remote in. The rocker switch doesn't seem to do anything and hasnt for years. The green wire is going to the remote for the old fan but that is powered by a battery so I have no idea what any of this poo poo is.

I'm not wiring it, but I'm posting to help who is.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Originally, there were 2 switches in that box. The one on the right operated the ceiling fan. It was removed and bypassed when the ceiling fan remote was added. They needed a remote operated fan because there wasn't /3 running up to the fan to power the fan separately from the light. The switch was bypassed to give the remote's base unit in the fan housing constant power. The green wire was the ground for the in-box remote. The black wire from the yellow wire nut going into the box goes up to the fan. All of the wires in this box are on the same circuit.

Does the remaining switch operate any of the outlets in the room?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

kid sinister posted:

Does the remaining switch operate any of the outlets in the room?

Yes an unused one under the bed we'd forgotten about.

Had him read your post and he walked off and got busy messing with it again so I guess you helped. Will let you know.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Weird question, long story for why it's relevant, but what's a good non-conducting very heat resistant dielectric? Preferably one I can get in a thin to very thin form factor? Basically trying to kludge myself something like a lovely diy capacitor that can stand up to direct contact with flame.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Would Kapton tape work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Nevets posted:

Would Kapton tape work?

Maybe! I was hoping for something that can handle like 1500 degrees+. Do they make something like thin fiberglass tape or something? Ideally with insulating properties?