Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You're making me worried, my pooch was neutered when he was under a year old. He's a fifty pound mutt (maaaybe GSD/husky mix) and I love him and need his bones to be okay.

On the other hand he loves to hump so it's very very good he doesn't have anything to make puppies with.

e: to clarify as of this post he is three years old and perfectly healthy. He recently expressed his anal glands all on his own because a vet was trying to trim his claws and he hated that.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Instant Jellyfish posted:

we're all intact bitches here anyway.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

You're making me worried, my pooch was neutered when he was under a year old. He's a fifty pound mutt (maaaybe GSD/husky mix) and I love him and need his bones to be okay.

On the other hand he loves to hump so it's very very good he doesn't have anything to make puppies with.

e: to clarify as of this post he is three years old and perfectly healthy. He recently expressed his anal glands all on his own because a vet was trying to trim his claws and he hated that.

50 pounds is a long way from giant breed. While it's possible he may have some issues, the likelihood is pretty low.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I always love an update to this thread. Sorry Major is having a bit of an internal crisis.

It was briefly mentioned, but how do you flesh your hides? I had the chance to flesh my first hide this year (deer) and although I technically managed it it was...kinda a lovely job. Blade kept jumping, didn't stretch it right on the fleshing pole, etc. I know practice makes perfect but got any advice? I love using everything I can from what I hunt so this is a skill I'm trying to develop. I also have trouble tanning in an apartment, so how do you determine who to pick for tanning services?

Edit: For clarification on the tanning services, I've tried a taxidermist who hand-tanned my first deer hide for me. Although he did an excellent job it's not as pliable as I'd like it to be, since I wanted to throw it on my bed every fall. It's good for a decoration piece but I wanted something a little more flexible.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 22, 2020

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chaosfeather posted:

It was briefly mentioned, but how do you flesh your hides? I had the chance to flesh my first hide this year (deer) and although I technically managed it it was...kinda a lovely job. Blade kept jumping, didn't stretch it right on the fleshing pole, etc. I know practice makes perfect but got any advice? I love using everything I can from what I hunt so this is a skill I'm trying to develop. I also have trouble tanning in an apartment, so how do you determine who to pick for tanning services?

Edit: For clarification on the tanning services, I've tried a taxidermist who hand-tanned my first deer hide for me. Although he did an excellent job it's not as pliable as I'd like it to be, since I wanted to throw it on my bed every fall. It's good for a decoration piece but I wanted something a little more flexible.

I use a pressure washer to flesh hides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFwIBge4A78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPUjKWwhXpk

It's a real mess and you end up soaked/disgusting but it works faster and easier than anything else. Use a turbo nozzle and be careful around holes or cuts but once you've got the hang of it they really go fast. Cleaning up the sheep blorps all over my yard afterwards probably takes the longest. Also it's weirdly satisfying. Eye protection is a must though.

For tanning I asked everyone else who they use for washable pelts and they all either said Bucks in PA or Sterns in WI. I used Bucks first because it was closer but I didn't love the product (the leather was yellow and sort of greasy) and the owner was kind of snotty to my mom on the phone when she had a question so we switched to Sterns. They send back gorgeous chrome tanned washable pelts. The leather is very soft and white and the fur side is nicely combed. I'm not trying to plug my store but getting the pictures off etsy and onto imgur is a pain so you can see an example of a finished sheep pelt here. When I'm at shows and see people selling hides I can tell on sight whether they used bucks or sterns. Sterns just has a nicer looking product imo.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I use a pressure washer to flesh hides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFwIBge4A78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPUjKWwhXpk

It's a real mess and you end up soaked/disgusting but it works faster and easier than anything else. Use a turbo nozzle and be careful around holes or cuts but once you've got the hang of it they really go fast. Cleaning up the sheep blorps all over my yard afterwards probably takes the longest. Also it's weirdly satisfying. Eye protection is a must though.

For tanning I asked everyone else who they use for washable pelts and they all either said Bucks in PA or Sterns in WI. I used Bucks first because it was closer but I didn't love the product (the leather was yellow and sort of greasy) and the owner was kind of snotty to my mom on the phone when she had a question so we switched to Sterns. They send back gorgeous chrome tanned washable pelts. The leather is very soft and white and the fur side is nicely combed. I'm not trying to plug my store but getting the pictures off etsy and onto imgur is a pain so you can see an example of a finished sheep pelt here. When I'm at shows and see people selling hides I can tell on sight whether they used bucks or sterns. Sterns just has a nicer looking product imo.

I would have never thought of using a pressure washer. That's perfect. Can't wait to have deer chunks scattered across my friend's yard that I need to pick up before the coons find them.

And thank you, I have definitely seen the greasy, yellow hides you are talking about and that looks much much nicer. Thanks for the example and I'll definitely keep your shop in mind now that I'm learning how to knit. Just gotta learn how to do something that isn't a scarf.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Chaosfeather posted:

I would have never thought of using a pressure washer. That's perfect. Can't wait to have deer chunks scattered across my friend's yard that I need to pick up before the coons find them.

And thank you, I have definitely seen the greasy, yellow hides you are talking about and that looks much much nicer. Thanks for the example and I'll definitely keep your shop in mind now that I'm learning how to knit. Just gotta learn how to do something that isn't a scarf.

Let the coons have their snack:randvince:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chaosfeather posted:

Some day I will have a real fleshing beam and proper equipment but right now a stack of lawn chairs, some goggles and a pair of waders I "borrowed" from my dad seem to do ok.

Nasty pictures ahoy!

Thawing bucket

In the process

Blorps

The person I got this one from left the whole rear end in a top hat on so I had to cut it off and toss it in the blorp pile

I rinse both sides with a low pressure nozzle afterwards. Toss them in the washer to run them through a few spin cycles and get some of the water out and they're ready to salt. I give my meat customers $5 back if they give me the pelt back in usable condition after slaughter (I sell almost exclusively to a guy who slaughters his own) and a couple other farms sell me their pelts for the same price so they don't go to waste. I also have a few friends who have me send in their pelts with mine so we get the bulk discount and can split shipping. I've got 10 at Sterns right now and these 6 will go as soon as they're fully dry. I'm really hoping the viking fest people want to buy some pelts!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I rinse both sides with a low pressure nozzle afterwards. Toss them in the washer to run them through a few spin cycles and get some of the water out and they're ready to salt. I give my meat customers $5 back if they give me the pelt back in usable condition after slaughter (I sell almost exclusively to a guy who slaughters his own) and a couple other farms sell me their pelts for the same price so they don't go to waste. I also have a few friends who have me send in their pelts with mine so we get the bulk discount and can split shipping. I've got 10 at Sterns right now and these 6 will go as soon as they're fully dry. I'm really hoping the viking fest people want to buy some pelts!

The fleshing beam I was using is honestly just a big PVC pipe nailed between two boards. That's a pretty cool deal and I hope you sell all of them!

drrockso20 posted:

Let the coons have their snack:randvince:

While I'm sure my friend's kids would love the sudden surge of trash bears I don't think they'd enjoy the mess a horde of them would bring.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I was looking up lamb pictures to put in my Lamb Camp powerpoint and found these super cute baby pictures of Twofer! He'll be 9 in April :3:

He's in the front behind mama Jazz here with his brother Roman in the middle and his sister Johnnie in the rear

Twofer teefers!

Awkward yearling Two who loved his daddy Dennis.

Edit: This has been my userpic all over the place for years and is my favorite Two picture ever

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 29, 2020

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
His horns are something else. Such a cute kid :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

SO HANDSOME.

How much longer for babies? Another month?

Will there be a shearing day in early spring?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

my cat is norris posted:

SO HANDSOME.

How much longer for babies? Another month?

Will there be a shearing day in early spring?

Lambs are due any time starting March 14th and I have so much to do before then! Also surprise we're having baby goats, probably the week of the 22nd but we don't know for sure because they are a surprise to us as well.

Shearing Day is May 16th so mark your calendars if you're local.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

One week left before lamb madness strikes! All the preggo girls have been sheared and are sitting around angrily waiting to pop.

Hellebore, Katelyn, Sicily, Pansy

Indigo, Jewel, Clementine, Reba

Get out of the loving hay feeder Daphne!

She used it as a path to get into the other half of that pen where Aster the rear end in a top hat has been staying. Have fun with that Daphne. Daisy (screaming) and Mimosa are where they are supposed to be.

Not pictured are the cormos but three of those will be lambing too.

Hopefully some of these girls go on the 15th because that's when I'm hosting lamb camp. I do an educational workshop each year for people to come learn about lambing and it's always memorable when they get to actually see one in person. Reading about it and seeing it happen are two very different things!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Are Jacobs the only ones with 4 horns? I saw this dude at a heritage farm today.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Are Jacobs the only ones with 4 horns? I saw this dude at a heritage farm today.

Nope! Just the most common. That looks like a Navajo churro sheep but Hebrideans, Manx Loaghtans, and rarely Icelandic sheep can be polycerate, as well as some newer composite breeds like desert dragons. Multiple horns is actually dominant to two horns so it’s fairly easy to breed into horned breeds if they have the correct horn allele.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

It seems like the extra prongs could be more problematic biologically than the two horned variety. Is that off base?

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lambs lambs lambs lambs :f5:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ILL Machina posted:

It seems like the extra prongs could be more problematic biologically than the two horned variety. Is that off base?

It can be associated with skull malformation and eyelid defects so I doubt it would ever take off in a wild population. At least mine don't seem any more prone to getting caught in stuff than the 2 horn variety though. They're both nightmares to keep fenced safely though.

hallelujah posted:

lambs lambs lambs lambs :f5:

They're baking as fast as they can! We're on day 145 today and they're pretty religious about going on day 147 so we just have to wait and see (and check at 4:30 am every single day).

Clementine and Jewel

Hellebore('s butt) and Katelyn

Aster

A tiny bit of Mimosa, Daphne in front, Daisy behind

I think Daphne might go first because she already has milk in but it's really anyone's guess

Edit:
Here is the schedule so you can mark your calendars

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 12, 2020

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Hellebore stole first from the other ewes despite having no signs of being about to lamb at 4:30 this morning. She did a great job having a ewe lamb unassisted in a sensible location at a reasonable time (9:15!). May the other first timers follow her lead. Eclair the cormo's belly has really dropped so I'd guess she's going today too but who even knows. They're all blissfully chewing cud in the sunshine.

"I pooped this out and I love it for some reason!"

"I don't know why but this seems Important"

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is it a little ewe or a little ram? nvm i can read

Congrats on the first sensible birth of the season!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

"I don't know why but this seems Important"

:kimchi:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Somehow it reminds me of me when I was but a wee poop.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Aster had twin ram lambs. One had a lot to say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2HZ2-u3mUY

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Today was my lamb camp and I decided not to cancel because only two couples were coming. Ten people actually showed up but what can I do at that point. Halfway through my presentation people needed a break so we went out to see babies and found Daphne is in labor. She was making good progress but then just stopped after maybe an hour. I was going to just wait her out because I knew the lamb was in the correct position but it had been a while and I was just getting a weird feeling about it. Gave her a dose of oxytocin and went on in with the whole group watching. Ended up pulling this enormous chonk of a Jacob who’s horn buds were just stuck in there. He was pretty floppy and not breathing but I wasn’t going to let these people (including a 5 year old!) see a dead baby so I got him in recovery position and harassed him into being alive. I did not actually finish my presentation but I think people got their $10 worth.

"Fine, I'll be alive. Geez!"

You can see how big those horn buds are.

Don't even bother getting up.

Most lambs sip at the teat at first. He chugged it like a frat bro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QteKCyIrzk

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

It's hard being a newborn lamb. :kimchi:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

This may be insensitive, but your wording made it sound like you might not have tried without an audience? Farm life is hard, so no judgement, just curious if what you did was standard procedure or not.

He needs a name befitting his struggle to emerge. He's also super pretty.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ILL Machina posted:

This may be insensitive, but your wording made it sound like you might not have tried without an audience? Farm life is hard, so no judgement, just curious if what you did was standard procedure or not.

Oh, I would never let him be dead without a fight but when I have kids watching I'm going to try extra hard. Sometimes they just don't want to be alive and you have to persuade them. I am more stubborn than your average sheep though so if they were alive for a moment I can usually get them to be alive again.

I may not have been as quick to pull him if there wasn't a crowd waiting though and that could have gone badly for him. The ewe wasn't in distress or anything and I could feel he was in the right position so I could have reasonably just left for her to work it out herself. But people had been waiting for a lamb and it was weird there wasn't a lamb yet so I decided I was just going to go for it. It wasn't until I was pulling that I realized how giant his head was and if she had been in labor for longer and I wasn't there to revive him he might not have made it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What a lucky little dude, I'm glad he made it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ILL Machina posted:

I want to put forth the name "Sideshow", given the circumstances of his birth.

He looks pretty nonplussed about this whole "being born" thing :allears:.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

It wasn't until I was pulling that I realized how giant his head was and if she had been in labor for longer and I wasn't there to revive him he might not have made it.

Uhh. What happens to the ewe in that situation?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ILL Machina posted:

Uhh. What happens to the ewe in that situation?

She probably would have gotten him out eventually but she would have been pretty sore and worn out and may not have paid enough attention to him to get him revived. He was pretty stuck but she also wasn't pushing super hard and isn't a first timer so it was feasible that she could handle it. I have definitely seen people on sheep farming groups asking about whether or not to pull a lamb and deciding to wait and ending losing both the ewe and her lambs though.

Gross lambing story under here! Probably disturbing to most people!
Last year I helped out someone who called me after their ewe had been down a week with presumptive pregnancy toxemia. I arrived to discover the ewe had a dead lamb head sticking out for god knows how long. Both legs were back so the lamb was stuck and the ewe had been pushing for quite a while. I managed to get one leg out but it was so rotten the leg came flying off as I was pulling it and the ewe keeled over dead right that second. I had a similar case earlier this week but they actually listened when I told them to call the vet asap and the ewe was fine after the vet removed the lamb in pieces.

I generally use the 30:30:30 rule (30 minutes from hard labor to amniotic sac appearing, 30 minutes from the sac to a lamb appearing, 30 minutes from the lamb appearing to being born) to decide when to go in for a close look but plenty of people are very afraid of interrupting or are lambing out in a field and can't catch the ewe, or simply feel that its best for nature to take its course. A lot of creatures die in childbirth in nature though and even if the lambs are a lost cause I'm attached to my ewes so I'm pretty quick to jump in.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

loving awesome explanation, thank you...ewe...gently caress

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I'm also glad for the serendipity of the moment that brought him to life.

I nominate Serendipity for his name. It's maybe a girl's name, but I think he has time to decide what gender he wants to identify as.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Chance?

Bob?

Ooh! Ripley or Barnum. Because of the sideshow thing.

Bonster fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 16, 2020

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Lamb drama! My phone was charging but you'll get pictures soon.

One of the problems with everyone lambing at once is hormones are running high and ewes turn into dirty lamb thieves. Went out to Clementine happily nursing a lamb while Indigo freaked out. Turns out Indigo worked very hard to deliver that lamb, got him cleaned up and standing and then Clem lured him over to her pen with her baby voice. I stole him away again and put Indi and him in a different area. Clem lost her entire poo poo thinking I stole her baby until she popped out her own moments later and now she's happy again. Her lamb got all stressed and pooped her amniotic sac because Clem was freaking out so bad but she was breathing well and seemed perky so I think they'll be fine.

Mimosa is digging around looking for a good nest so I think she's going next. Maybe then they'll take a break so I can take a nap???

We're up to 4 rams, 2 ewes with 9 left to lamb in this group.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 16, 2020

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Lmao clem you bitch

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Indigo's ram 6 lbs 11 oz

Clem's ewe 7 lbs 3 oz

Mimosa is still digging up her entire pen so I'm in chugging some tea to warm up. Thinking its going to be a long night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Mimosa had a 6 lb ram and a 3 lb 14 oz ewe at around Midnight.

Nothing at my 4:15 barn check but came out at 8:45 (I slept in) to this big lovely ewe lamb from Jaffa the cormo. She's 9 lb 8 oz! Those cormos are insane with their giant singles.

I'm up to 5 rams and 4 ewes with 7 left to go in this round.