Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I will try my best hahah.

Also thank you, I got it from the TGRS trans issues thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
fuuuck that tower block

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Wandering Inn 7.00 is up for patreons. A kill-zone screening hallway for the newly rebuilt inn's magic door is frickin awesome.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Side Story poll for january 2020

:sickos: :sickos: :sickos: :sickos:

e: aww, pebblesnatch and gun girl are winning :smith:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 19, 2020

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Did you just "ironically" vote for mating rituals pt2?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i absolutely did not vote ironically for mr2.

there's zero irony in my desire for fantasy smut!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
What's wrong with mating rituals? That poo poo is funny.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I imagine that after digesting the feedback she got last time that the mating rituals chapter will end up being utterly hilarious, but I also don't want to inflict that on people grossed out by it. Tough choices.

E: I really want a silly gay vampire chapter but it's way near the bottom :smith:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 19, 2020

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I voted for Pebblesnatch and the gun one.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Huh, looks like Into the Mire's site is down? At least, I can't reach it, there's a message about it being suspended.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cicero posted:

Huh, looks like Into the Mire's site is down? At least, I can't reach it, there's a message about it being suspended.

That's weird. Might be a technical issue. I'll tap the writer on the shoulder and see what's up.

edit: Host migration, nothing serious.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 21, 2020

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
(Newest Practical Guide chapters) Hi Tancred. Bye Tancred

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Cicero posted:

I love how Lithium's server migration landing page says account suspended instead of "updating nameservers" or some poo poo. I knew the migration was happening and STILL crapped my pants.

Thanks for the heads up though. I always appreciate notes about site issues because I'm in a nonstandard time zone and American readers tend to spot stuff when I'm snoozin'.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Oo Koo posted:

Poor kid.
My genre savvy senses were twitching when the priest was leaning over him but Cat felt it was normal enough, and then it sank in

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Excited for the wandering inn coming back for us non-patreons.

Bit nervous about the next chapter of the gods are bastards, as with all the build-up it can't just be a straightforward chapter of "gently caress terfs, gently caress terfs, and oh look here's the goddess to personally say gently caress terfs." It'll be something with the archpope or something.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Excited for the wandering inn coming back for us non-patreons.

Bit nervous about the next chapter of the gods are bastards, as with all the build-up it can't just be a straightforward chapter of "gently caress terfs, gently caress terfs, and oh look here's the goddess to personally say gently caress terfs." It'll be something with the archpope or something.

I strongly suspect that Trissiny is going to confront them with Avei's judgment much like she did to Basra, only for Avei to say "terfs are good, actually" in public and in front of hundreds of people, because something something Justinian loving with the gods and this whole thing was a setup to destabilize another religion. This will of course prompt the collective gaggle of protagonists to start going after Justinian more directly and transition the story into endgame. Or something like that. The weird subordination of the Eserites is probably related too, if Justinian is able to turn the gods' wills to his own.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

I strongly suspect that Trissiny is going to confront them with Avei's judgment much like she did to Basra, only for Avei to say "terfs are good, actually" in public and in front of hundreds of people, because something something Justinian loving with the gods and this whole thing was a setup to destabilize another religion. This will of course prompt the collective gaggle of protagonists to start going after Justinian more directly and transition the story into endgame. Or something like that. The weird subordination of the Eserites is probably related too, if Justinian is able to turn the gods' wills to his own.
Well in that case it's clearly time to call Arachne.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
to celebrate TWI coming back, I've found some absolutely :magical: fan art

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Murder hole, or Mrsha hole?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Reading this chapter of Ward while eating lunch was probably a mistake.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So I read through Mother of Learning, it was pretty good except for the occasional typo or "I'm pretty sure they meant another word that phonetically sounds the same, but isn't that word". Is that one dead or is the author still writing?

Starting on The Gods are Bastards now while I wait on my non-free-fiction writers to get the next installment published (a bunch of trash sci-fi/fantasy books). Anything I should keep an eye out for or is that particular one a mistake and I should be reading something else?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Mother of Learning is still alive, the author decided to write the last few chapters as a batch. Last target date I heard of was the 26th of this month. The author is not a native English speaker (he's Croatian), so yeah there are occasionally little oddities in the writing, and I'd argue that he sometimes struggles with 'voice'.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cicero posted:

Mother of Learning is still alive, the author decided to write the last few chapters as a batch. Last target date I heard of was the 26th of this month. The author is not a native English speaker (he's Croatian), so yeah there are occasionally little oddities in the writing, and I'd argue that he sometimes struggles with 'voice'.

It's really well written if English isn't their native language, then.

Do you mean that they sometimes forget who said what? Because in the last few chapters (and maybe others, but I'm not going back to nit-pick too much at this point), I'd have to stop with a "wait, what?" whenever a line of dialogue between characters didn't scan properly.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

No, I just mean some characters don't sound different enough in their dialogue. The most obvious example being Lichman, while I didn't expect him to be throwing around thees and thous, when he was talking with Z&Z his way of speaking didn't feel very different from theirs, which felt weird to me, given their respective backgrounds.

This obviously isn't something that's exclusively the problem of non-native writers, though I suspect that makes it quite a bit harder.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cicero posted:

No, I just mean some characters don't sound different enough in their dialogue. The most obvious example being Lichman, while I didn't expect him to be throwing around thees and thous, when he was talking with Z&Z his way of speaking didn't feel very different from theirs, which felt weird to me, given their respective backgrounds.

This obviously isn't something that's exclusively the problem of non-native writers, though I suspect that makes it quite a bit harder.

I don't know, seems like any sufficiently long-lived semi-active immortal being would keep up with "modern" languages just to keep from getting bored, if not for any other reason.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Starting on The Gods are Bastards now while I wait on my non-free-fiction writers to get the next installment published (a bunch of trash sci-fi/fantasy books). Anything I should keep an eye out for or is that particular one a mistake and I should be reading something else?

I think tgab is great. It's certainly not without flaws, and the first book is very much "slowly introduce the cast and their quirks", but I absolutely adore what the author does with most of the characters, and the premise and setting are really interesting and unique.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I really like TGAB but the discord made me feel supes uncomfortable at times esp with the recent trans plotlines (and if you’re right, TSP, ahhhh). Prose is super clean and clear and the characterization is great. It def gets bogged down sometimes but the most recent books have been much better about that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So I read through Mother of Learning, it was pretty good except for the occasional typo or "I'm pretty sure they meant another word that phonetically sounds the same, but isn't that word". Is that one dead or is the author still writing?

I found TGAB utterly uninteresting. I hope you enjoy it more.

Since you asked for alternatives & I don't know of any web steampunk that's good...
Practical Guide to Evil is very good and has a huge amount of content
He Who Fights With Monsters is great fantasy with a strong comedic element
Forge of Destiny is good Xianxia

Actually, Girl Genius is entertaining steampunk (it eventually gets repetitive but until then it's fun and its a Phil Foglio comic)

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 23, 2020

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Who's Phil Foglio?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Who's Phil Foglio?

He's an artist with a distinctive style and at least genre-famous. It seemed worth mentioning because if you've seen any of his art at all, you probably already know if you want to see more. He did a bunch of Magic the Gathering art, art for the MYTH series of books, a bunch of magazine comics (Dragon, etc...).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LLSix posted:

He's an artist with a distinctive style and at least genre-famous. It seemed worth mentioning because if you've seen any of his art at all, you probably already know if you want to see more. He did a bunch of Magic the Gathering art, art for the MYTH series of books, a bunch of magazine comics (Dragon, etc...).

he fuckin rules

Wade
May 11, 2009

I'm hip
Stoked I found this thread, it's given me a solid half dozen things to read that I'd probably have missed otherwise.

One serial I've enjoyed that I didn't see mentioned in the last thirty or so pages here is Heretical Edge. It starts out seeming like a pretty basic 'girl gets recruited to a secret school for monster hunters' and goes some pretty wild places from there.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Hawkperson posted:

I really like TGAB but the discord made me feel supes uncomfortable at times esp with the recent trans plotlines (and if you’re right, TSP, ahhhh).
if you mean the TERF thing I was talking about, the goddess in question showed up and told the TERFs to get hosed

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Wade posted:

Stoked I found this thread, it's given me a solid half dozen things to read that I'd probably have missed otherwise.

One serial I've enjoyed that I didn't see mentioned in the last thirty or so pages here is Heretical Edge. It starts out seeming like a pretty basic 'girl gets recruited to a secret school for monster hunters' and goes some pretty wild places from there.

I read the a bunch of this. It’s pretty okay, but the main thing I remember is more the creepy villain and body horror stuff more than the characterization, which always felt kind of bland. It’s also really Mary-sue-y in that the protagonist gets super powerful but that is sort of the story hook.

But it’s been a while since I read it. I think the author already makes a mass effect X XCOM fanfiction that was dumb and fun. Lots of lesbian romance but my impression was the author might actually be one, as opposed to a dude who doesn’t want to describe penises (which are gross and gay!).

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Penii are pretty gross and dumb looking so I get it.

He who fights with monsters is so slow even though it updates five times per week. Feel like he should really combine his chapters and go for a two per week release schedule or something. Still fun though!

Last Angel is really loving grimdark space battles and epic fuckery and honestly really well written. You guyses should really give it a read. It’s second book is wrapping up it seems like but there’s enough hooks for a third book too.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Affi posted:

Penii are pretty gross and dumb looking so I get it.

He who fights with monsters is so slow even though it updates five times per week. Feel like he should really combine his chapters and go for a two per week release schedule or something. Still fun though!

Last Angel is really loving grimdark space battles and epic fuckery and honestly really well written. You guyses should really give it a read. It’s second book is wrapping up it seems like but there’s enough hooks for a third book too.

Can vouch for Last Angel, surprisingly well written
Without revealing too much, book 1 feels like System Shock 2 and book 2... I don't really have a comparison for.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

tithin posted:

Can vouch for Last Angel, surprisingly well written
Without revealing too much, book 1 feels like System Shock 2 and book 2... I don't really have a comparison for.
A pair of plucky underdog sisters having space adventures while they fight an evil empire with the friends they made along the way.

Friends like, uh, Sammuramāt, a young adventurous princess with a keen interest in bugs! And a pirate queen!

You could also call it "A Series of Unfortunate Events Happening to Nasham."

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 23, 2020

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

if you mean the TERF thing I was talking about, the goddess in question showed up and told the TERFs to get hosed

Yeah I saw last night and I’m somewhat relieved, but still kind of wary that there might be fallout from that somehow (and screw the person in the comments going “but what about the feelings of the bigots?!”)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

90s Cringe Rock posted:

A pair of plucky underdog sisters having space adventures while they fight an evil empire with the friends they made along the way.

Friends like, uh, Sammuramāt, a young adventurous princess with a keen interest in bugs! And a pirate queen!

You could also call it "A Series of Unfortunate Events Happening to Nasham."

Im also surprisingly more and more on the compact of species side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oo Koo posted:

The author has really been doing a good job on the horror elements of fighting the Dead King / being in his way.