Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If they don't have Lan going "you loving what?" When Nynaeve finds them just give it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Might as well just blow through it, it’s not gonna be near as popular as GoT and only gonna last like 2 seasons.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
With how lovely an ending Fain got, does he even need to be in the series? And without him you can lose the dagger. Shadar Logoth still needs some screen time for other stuff, but you can just have other dark friends or forsaken influencing the White Cloaks and Fain can just disappear.

I don't know if Fain has been cast and I don't necessarily want to see him gone but losing him would maybe help streamline some of the story.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Inspector 34 posted:

With how lovely an ending Fain got, does he even need to be in the series? And without him you can lose the dagger. Shadar Logoth still needs some screen time for other stuff, but you can just have other dark friends or forsaken influencing the White Cloaks and Fain can just disappear.

I don't know if Fain has been cast and I don't necessarily want to see him gone but losing him would maybe help streamline some of the story.

Fain already got cast. Also the dagger is a big thing for Mat's plotline, without the holes in his memory he wouldn't have ended up with the memories of all the great generals

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also also rand's wounds are kind of a big deal andbthe dagger makes one of them

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah both of those points make sense but don't seem that difficult to write around. Does Rand really need 2 unhealable wounds for his story to make sense?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I got the impression, without it having been explicitly said, that the two wounds fighting each other is what cemented the idea of using Shadar Logoth to cleanse Saidin

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It did but that seems like the sort of thing that's more easily communicated in a book than a show. Also the odds of the show getting that far before being cancelled are not great.

bloom fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 23, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Honestly this is the first thing I’ve seen that has me really concerned for the show. There is more than enough content in book one for a season of television.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

bloom posted:

the odds of the show getting that far before being cancelled are not great.

That's a dumb reason to cite for doing or not doing anything. If the show gets cancelled then nothing matters, so you can only assume that you won't be while planning the series out.

What you CAN infer from the pacing is that they want those highly iconic sequences to try to keep interest and viewers. TEoTW's end is cool and can be freaky but Falme is really the first really uniquely WoT-ish ending setpiece. Another 2 book season would get us to the first full out Power battle with Asmodean in Rhuidean and the Two Rivers battle.

And if the series can make it to the end of S3 at Dumais Wells then it's home free.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 23, 2020

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I think shoving book 1 and part of 2 into one season makes sense. You can get the wonder girls into the white tower training. Cliffhanger the Seanchan Liandrin betrayal maybe.

Alot happens in book 1 that can be moved to other places. Maybe we meet Bayle as captain who takes the wonder girls towards Tear. Or who take Mat out of Tar Valon.

It's better to get people hooked with action and quick plot then to bore people and get dropped after a season imo.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The Lord Bude posted:

Honestly this is the first thing I’ve seen that has me really concerned for the show. There is more than enough content in book one for a season of television.

Book one is arguably one of the best of the books, so rushing to get into TGH which is also great but not quite as formulaic as book 1 is baffling.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

That's a dumb reason to cite for doing or not doing anything. If the show gets cancelled then nothing matters, so you can only assume that you won't be while planning the series out.

What you CAN infer from the pacing is that they want those highly iconic sequences to try to keep interest and viewers. TEoTW's end is cool and can be freaky but Falme is really the first really uniquely WoT-ish ending setpiece. Another 2 book season would get us to the first full out Power battle with Asmodean in Rhuidean and the Two Rivers battle.

And if the series can make it to the end of S3 at Dumais Wells then it's home free.

This is understandable I suppose, but I think it weakens S1, keeps S2 about the same, in order to make S3 stronger. That seems odd given I don't think they already signed up for 3 seasons of this.

Anias fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 23, 2020

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for all we know, jeff bezos is a huge fan of wheel of time and will personally fund it to the end no matter what and we'll let him do it before beheading him with a guillotine and shooting his headless corpse into the sun on a spacex rocket

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Johnny Joestar posted:

for all we know, jeff bezos is a huge fan of wheel of time and will personally fund it to the end no matter what and we'll let him do it before beheading him with a guillotine and shooting his headless corpse into the sun on a spacex rocket

Vacuole the rich

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Jeff Bezos is da'tsang.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If he was he'd be jerking himself off in front of the cast and crew like he did for the expanse.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I get a lot of complaints about book one from people I get to read this. People say it's a slowly paced rip off of Lord of the Rings and I have to tell them that the series does get a lot weirder and more unique after that.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Colonel Cool posted:

I get a lot of complaints about book one from people I get to read this. People say it's a slowly paced rip off of Lord of the Rings and I have to tell them that the series does get a lot weirder and more unique after that.

They're not wrong.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm all for some truncation as long as we get to the good parts. There's a lot of fluff that works well when written but is unnecessary in a visual format. When you break it down the main plot of EotW is pretty straightforward and can be told in 4 hours with some skill. Let's hope the production team is up to that task.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like they're going to have to show a lot more channeling and magic fireworks and stuff in the first season than Book 1 really gets to, if they want to develop an audience.

With the exception of the prologue, it isn't until Book 2 that all the pyrotechnics and ninja swordfighting (which is what will be the signature look of the TV show, let's be honest) starts to get going.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Data Graham posted:

I feel like they're going to have to show a lot more channeling and magic fireworks and stuff in the first season than Book 1 really gets to, if they want to develop an audience.

With the exception of the prologue, it isn't until Book 2 that all the pyrotechnics and ninja swordfighting (which is what will be the signature look of the TV show, let's be honest) starts to get going.

If they do both the Winternight trolloc attack and Moiraine's Manetheren story the first episode will be reasonably representative, I think. You've got trollocs vs villagers, Matrix agent-style Myrddraal, some fireball-throwing from Moiraine, some really loving flashy destruction from Queen Eldrene. You gotta build up to the ghosts, ninjas, men in black and the dragon-riders.

Toss in some Baalzamon nightmare and E1 is a pretty solid hook.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 23, 2020

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

If they do both the Winternight trolloc attack and Moiraine's Manetheren story the first episode will be reasonably representative, I think. You've got trollocs vs villagers, Matrix agent-style Myrddraal, some fireball-throwing from Moiraine, some really loving flashy destruction from Queen Eldrene. You gotta build up to the ghosts, ninjas, men in black and the dragon-riders.

The Trolloc attack will definitely be flashier in the TV show over the books since you will want to show it happening. In the books having Rand show up after it's over is fine but you have to show more for TV.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well since it's supposed to be Moiraine centric I'd expect we see the attack from her perspective then Rand comes up dragging Tam and we'll hear/see about what happened to them rather than the other way around.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm curious to see how they'll do grey men in the show. I always liked the way they were casually written into background descriptions in the books, it'll be interesting to see how they adapt that on screen.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Colonel Cool posted:

I'm always wondering about this, since I've read both WoT and LoR and for me at least, both stories are nothing alike. This sounds more like people not enjoying fantasy coming up with something on the spot to prevent you from forcing more fantasy upon them

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would have to assume it has something to do with 'group of people hurried out on adventure with a spellcaster/etc.' but that's kind of a vague plot hook anyways and shouldn't be definitive

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
A wise old wizard picks up a bunch of hicks from a tiny village and takes them on an adventure because their simple rural nature makes them uniquely suited to surviving a bunch of orcs and beating the big bad who lives in a mountain.

I think there might be some similarities.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You could say the same thing about A New Hope too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean, yeah. Fuckin Merlin. It's not a new story.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
All those stories are just different turnings of the wheel. But really there's loads of interviews where he talks about how much he was paying homage in the first book, and how he wanted to do his own unique twist on an initially familiar setting

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

bloom posted:

A wise old wizard picks up a bunch of hicks from a tiny village and takes them on an adventure because their simple rural nature makes them uniquely suited to surviving a bunch of orcs and beating the big bad who lives in a mountain.

I think there might be some similarities.

The only wizard I remember is Moiraine, and she is only in a very technically sense "old". (I always imagined her to look like, super hot, so I didn't ever make the Merlin/Gandalf connection. :v: )

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Libluini posted:

The only wizard I remember is Moiraine, and she is only in a very technically sense "old". (I always imagined her to look like, super hot, so I didn't ever make the Merlin/Gandalf connection. :v: )

I know Moiraine falls in the "technically 5000 years old" category(although iirc she's not actually that old for an aes sedai) but she is very much the archetypal wizard character in the first book.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You're talking to the guy who thought for years that "pillow friends" was just a completely benign euphemism for girls being friends with each other

If you'd time travel back to teenage me and tell me Moiraine was supposed to be a wizard, I'd probably look at you with this confused, dumbfounded look of complete incomprehension and say something stupid like "But she is a girl! She can only be a sorceress, not a wizard! Wizards are old guys with long beards!"

Also I would say this in German, as I couldn't understand English back then.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Moiraine is actually pretty young, right? She's supposed to be in her 50s or 60s I believe.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Moraine was born in 956 NE, so she's like 42 when the series starts.

Libluini posted:

Thomdril Merrilin

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You could say the same thing about A New Hope too.

Because they both use the same trope for the same reason. It's nice to have at least one character who is mostly ignorant of the setting so you can reveal it through them.

Also, starting from naive/sheltered allows built in character growth.

The Wheel of time series is all about leaning heavily on tropes and myths, but upending them slightly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

both moiraine and siuan are noted to be relatively young for when they got raised to being aes sedai, and then from there you have to consider it's only been like, what, 18-20 years since then as rand and the others grew up?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yes they're both raised young because they are strong channelers and they were in the room when Gitara Moroso has her Foretelling at the moment Rand is born.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Because they both use the same trope for the same reason. It's nice to have at least one character who is mostly ignorant of the setting so you can reveal it through them.

Also, starting from naive/sheltered allows built in character growth.

The Wheel of time series is all about leaning heavily on tropes and myths, but upending them slightly.

Even better, both WoT and Star Wars started out with the creator wanting the hero to be a grizzled old veteran, but eventually changed them into a naïve young kid because the story just worked better that way. Something something relatable character pro-ta-GON-ist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My favorite wot joke is and remains

Ta'veren: in the Old Tongue, "Protagonist".