Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
It's too blurry for me to see clearly but it looks like it's going around the back? But the place it should be attached to is on its right side skirt anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

New on PB today it's the slightly odd wing pack for Deathscythe from Glory of Losers.

https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000011347/

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

RillAkBea posted:

New on PB today it's the slightly odd wing pack for Deathscythe from Glory of Losers.

https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000011347/

Duo got real jealous of Heero in the manga, huh?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Ok, the way that ball joints are “locked in” by rails rather than stick into a hole on the MG Barbatos inner frame is loving genius. Those front skirts are never popping out.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm a bit behind, is there a brief for the 30mm build? Not sure I can get a kit in time unless if find a UK seller.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm a bit behind, is there a brief for the 30mm build? Not sure I can get a kit in time unless if find a UK seller.

The brief is two easy steps;

1: Purchase and build a 30MM kit, along with any other accessories or paint you wish.

2: Gunpla Is Freedom. Build what you want.

Also you could always import from somewhere like HLJ.com. It'll probably save you a bit if you bundle some accessory packs in with it anyway.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Now is a good time to grab some kits too, since the Aerial Warfare Alto and Space Portanova are out/almost out and they come with some of the cooler accessories bundled in.

The claw arm is my favorite thing out of the whole line.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Schubalts posted:

A couple days old post, but this dropped on Gundaminfo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al4wBd2Y-M0

Is anybody else seriously considering ordering this, because wow.

Goddamnit, I forgot to preorder this last week and now preorders seem to be closed everywhere.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Somebody was asking if there was a radome bit to scavenge for cheap, and it turns out the answer is yes, but -

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1219907608397500416

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Guy I know you don't skip leg day but that doesn't mean you skip arm day instead.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I just got my kit for the group build in the post today from Gundam Mad.

Some of the kits are out of stock and shipping is going to be a little spotty until the end of February (apparently it's mostly couple running the site and they've just gotten married, so a support team is shipping stuff like once a week), but they're my favourite UK seller. Decent range and they actually sort the store by what's in stock.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Also coming out after the contest ends, desert bases

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1214743704788819969?s=20

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

grassy gnoll posted:

Somebody was asking if there was a radome bit to scavenge for cheap, and it turns out the answer is yes, but -

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1219907608397500416

If it werent loving late for the group build, UGH.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And it'll only be in green and blue for the longest time. drat it my kitbash needs desert colours and yellows. I mean I could paint it but I'm lazy and currently lack a desk big enough for that.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 23, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Gripweed posted:

Also coming out after the contest ends, desert bases

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1214743704788819969?s=20

Oh goddamn, want.

I was gonna start building a winter/desert diorama for my Desert Nemo to lounge in while I was home and had access to my parents' woodworking gear, but then I had to buy a car and welp, there went all my time. And then I thought, I'll have my dad cut out the basic pieces based off of my designs and mail them to me!

Then he tells me he's going in for cataract surgery in a week.

:sigh:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
So I wasn't a huge fan of the 30MM kit designs, but I bought some anyway because I want to be part of the gang. Now I'm fighting the urge to buy a bunch of accessory packs because I want to customize them all. :sigh:

EVGA Longoria posted:

Duo got real jealous of Heero in the manga, huh?

Looks more like revenge for that time Heero stripped Deathscythe of parts to repair Wing..

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Glory of the Losers gives every Gundam at least one accessory pack that let's it do the job of one of the other Gundams. Hopefully we'll get kits of Sandrock's missile pack, Heavyarms flight pack, and Epyon's double flight pack

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Glory of the Losers gives every Gundam at least one accessory pack that let's it do the job of one of the other Gundams. Hopefully we'll get kits of Sandrock's missile pack, Heavyarms flight pack, and Epyon's double flight pack

Personally I'm hoping for the Tallgeese Flugel because it's the Tallgeese with the 90s-anime-as-heck angel wings from Wing Zero EW, and really what more could you ever ask for?

Though I guess I would drop a dollar on the Sandrock Armadillo Armor though, yes.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Anyone know what the cheapest way to get a bunch of clear display arms would be? Something similar to this:

But without the base? This is $6.80 or so on HLJ but I'd rather not spend ~$24 just for some display arms for floating parts

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
This is an option. Still comes with bases but I don't think anyone is gonna sell you just the arms. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Action-Base...rAAAOSwxG9b2D3z

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Excellent, thanks. Way too late for what I need them for but I'll spend $8 any day for a future investment

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Zodack posted:

Anyone know what the cheapest way to get a bunch of clear display arms would be? Something similar to this:

But without the base? This is $6.80 or so on HLJ but I'd rather not spend ~$24 just for some display arms for floating parts

I don't know if this will work for what you're doing, but there's the Figure-Rise Jet Effect. It comes with three small arms for holding bits

https://www.hlj.com/figure-rise-effect-jet-effect-clear-blue-bans58104

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Oh goddamnit, I just received a P-Bandai Hrududu II kit (from Advance of Zeta) that's sitting on my desk at home and now I'm contemplating ordering a TR-6 Haze'nthley II Rah kit. Why in the goddamn hell did they make the new AoZ kits P-Bandai? Does Bandai not want to make fistfulls of money off of these kits? They have to make fresh tooling and molds for all of them anyway, why not just make them standard HGUC kits?

:<

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Tell me about it the Aoz kits are all some of the best looking kits around. Like I get all the niche kits that only some like but they're too good to not get a general release.

I know it's cause they can charge what they want and always sell out of what they make until they get reprinted but at least give other markets the availability to easily order them without reseller mark ups.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Queadlunn posted:

Oh goddamnit, I just received a P-Bandai Hrududu II kit (from Advance of Zeta) that's sitting on my desk at home and now I'm contemplating ordering a TR-6 Haze'nthley II Rah kit. Why in the goddamn hell did they make the new AoZ kits P-Bandai? Does Bandai not want to make fistfulls of money off of these kits? They have to make fresh tooling and molds for all of them anyway, why not just make them standard HGUC kits?

My guess is that since those suits only show up in an old manga, Bandai figured they wouldn't have a ton of appeal to casual consumers.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

My guess is that since those suits only show up in an old manga, Bandai figured they wouldn't have a ton of appeal to casual consumers.

Possibly true, but if they sold well there are something like a dozen or more variants that they could make, using most of the same core parts.

Puddin posted:

Tell me about it the Aoz kits are all some of the best looking kits around. Like I get all the niche kits that only some like but they're too good to not get a general release.

I know it's cause they can charge what they want and always sell out of what they make until they get reprinted but at least give other markets the availability to easily order them without reseller mark ups.

I know I'm one of the suckers that keeps buying them. I've got a TR-6 sitting in a box for the last few months since I got back from Taiwan just waiting for this box to arrive today.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Gripweed posted:

It's this. The people who are into them are the sort of people who will jump through whatever hoops necessary to buy them anyway.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I’m hoping things improve when their factory expansion is complete.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Zodack posted:

Not sure if they have this specific style, but I usually get my stands and display parts off Aliexpress. Might take forever to get here but I tend to order in bulk so I always have a few on hand, in various colors. So far they've worked just fine, and the only issue I've had was that sometimes you have to trim excess plastic off the parts or sand down a few pegs.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

The core TR-6 Woundwort is so tiny!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Queadlunn posted:

I have the regular Haze'nthley II sitting on the pile(TM) and the box is actually slightly bigger than the MG Barbatos!

Unfortunately it looks like this kind of sales model is working very well for PB Hobby, as following the success of the HG-AoZ line, they brought out 2 more PB only lines, the 'F90 A-to-Z Project' and 'Side Story Mobile Suit' which retroactively includes every PB that was in just one manga/game and has already gone whole hog on a line of new stuff. On the upside it does at least look like these PB only lines are going to be semi-regularly stocked as they've mostly stopped listing the wave number on the AoZ and F90 kits and aren't tagging them as 're-sale' either.

Edit: I forgot they also have the G-Unit project coming too!

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 24, 2020

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Built my 30MM kits yesterday. I used the dark blue armor from the Alto Blue with the white and gray frame pieces from an Alto Black, and gave it a Diver Ace backpack/weapons. Had a hell of a time getting the backpack on before I realized there was an adapter piece I needed to use in order to get it to sit comfortably on the Alto's back. It looks like something that you might get if they started mass-producing mobile suits based on 00's design, like a 00 Dagger or something.

(Oh man I just noticed how many spots I missed while panel lining)

I wasn't sure if the remaining parts were going to look good together, but I built the second Alto anyway and realized it was basically just Vidar's color scheme so I gave it some guns and called it good enough.

I also found Gundam cookies while I was at Nijiya, shopping for a different thread challenge. Currently trying not to eat them all just to get the stickers inside. :3:

Currently trying to decide how else to customize these. The temptation is to just keep buying more kits and accessories, but I already have a backlog of stuff to build. Maybe someday I'll get around to it and find some spare parts that look sick as hell on these guys, but I'm not holding my breath.

Couple more pics here: https://imgur.com/a/sR5E2I2

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oooh, I forgot the Diver Ace pack had those swords. I might need to get them for my overboosted Alto.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Bees on Wheat posted:

Not sure if they have this specific style, but I usually get my stands and display parts off Aliexpress. Might take forever to get here but I tend to order in bulk so I always have a few on hand, in various colors. So far they've worked just fine, and the only issue I've had was that sometimes you have to trim excess plastic off the parts or sand down a few pegs.

poo poo, thanks for this. I buy a lot of supplies off of Aliexpress - dropper bottles, ink cups for small quantities of paint, pipettes, eyeshadow applicators for weathering pigments, etc., but I never thought to look for stands. I just ordered a bunch of clear vertical stands with the claw clasps in order to stabilize regular standing models and a couple of the suction cup ones. I use Nendoroid suction cup stands so I can stick HGs on the walls of the Detolf, but they only protrude just a bit, so options are limited. I'll probably cement the suction cup ones in place just because I'm paranoid about Chinesium but that solves a niche. Plus they have runner stands for like $11 shipped.

Edit: FINALLY, even if it's bootleg, someone's producing the ZAFT stand that came with the MG Providence. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...rchweb201603_53

MJP fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 24, 2020

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
I bought the chickenlegs astronaut. I'll slip it into my next shipment so it should arrive about the end of february, start of march.
I don't have any real plans for it though. So it will probably just become a straight build.

This week I finished a kit of the edgiest Mazinger. Well, until ZERO came along with its infinite time-loop of edgy misery.
I'm talking about the Moderoid Mazinkaiser SKL.

https://mazinger.fandom.com/wiki/Mazinkaiser_SKL_(Mecha)

Getting it build wasn't too hard. Some glue in places, but most of it was just snapped together. The wings and the face were prepainted, which is always a plus.
Though for anyone else who wants to build one I would advise caution when handling the head. The crown is very fragile and so are the horns. I only lightly bent the horns which isn't too bad, but I almost tore of part of the crown. More specifically one of the two lower extensions that cover the neck. It's now held together by glue. Also, while the horns are painted gold, the plastic itself is dark grey, so you will have to hide the nubs with some paint of your own.
The parts of the wings came in separate bags and are likewise fragile. Now I haven't damaged them myself, but they're so thin that I didn't dare jam them back into the box and left them at home after my first session.
(On a sidenote: I don't like the boxes Moderoids come in. You open them by hinging a flap, removing not just the top of the box, but also one of its sides. This just isn't as sturdy as a good solid lid found on regular boxes when you try to close it again.)

And finally I'd like to mention that it's loose in places. The guns are very insecurely mounted to the chest despite having some decently sized pegs. I thickened them up with some paint which seems to have improved things.
But the hands are garbage. They don't grip the sword-handle at all, the wrist is loose and floppy which makes holding a pose that doesn't have the sword rest on the ground a frustrating challenge. They're also made up out of 3 separate pieces each, which aren't supposed to be glued cause they have to be assembled around the handle and seem to be designed to fall apart if you even gently nudge whatever they're holding. (or pretending to hold at least)

Likewise, the wings slot into the back very lightly and love to pop off.

As for the overall appearance, the model itself has been redesigned when compared to the version seen in the series.
Mostly in the form of additional panel-lining and what I assume are parts taken from the earlier regular Mazinkaiser mold to streamline production.
(There's enough leftovers in the box to make most of a Kaiser blade and the Mazinkaiser's forearms minus joints.)

As for the changes, I'd say there are both positives and negatives. Let's start with the positives.
1: The guns mounted on the chest now form a face, which is awesome.
2: The spikes sticking out of the shoulders have been replaced with a pair of knives.

As for the negatives.
1: The sword is now a gun. Apart from being completely redundant due to SKL already having a pair of pistols strapped to its chest,
it is double redundant because said pistols must be plugged into the sword to form the grip and trigger.
The worst part of it is a square piece of plastic just sticking out the side for the horizontal grip. I'm not a fan of the folding tip of the sword either.
It's too complicated for something that used to know exactly what it was for. Disemboweling robots while looking like the jaw-bone of some prehistoric monster.
I do like the spinal column the teeth are embedded into though.

2: This is the worst one for me. The red fins on SKL's forearms are actually spare magazines for the pistols. So when it ran dry, the fins would pop out and slot into the gun's grip. Because of this, the fins had the same shape as what was seen on the guns themselves.
Now however, the fins are shaped radically different, being these massive back-wards hooks. This means the spare magazine gimmick is no longer part of the design, and I just think it doesn't look good. They're too big and get in the way of the articulation.

The finished model.
All I'd done at this point apart from assembly, was painting the eyes on the two skulls. Those being the cockpit on top of the head and the gold skull sitting on the chest.

After I finished building, I wasn't satisfied. It was missing something. It was time to do what would most likely turn out a bad idea and make some changes.
Step 1; Knife meet face.:black101:
I remember SKL taking a spear to the eye in episode 2 and running the rest of the show (including the epilogue) with this massive cut in its face. To replicate that, I simply worked it over with a knife for a bit, cutting away a piece of the red crown, then continuing the cut down towards the mouth-grill. I then put black paint on the stressed white edges along the cut I'd made. I also hid the eye with more paint as getting in that deep with the knife was proving to be difficult. At first I wanted to paint a red dot where the eye had been, but I couldn't get in properly for precision work, so I left it black.
The cockpit is actually pre-painted in a sort of beige, but the plastic is as before dark gray bordering on black, leaving ugly nub marks where snipped from the sprue. I don't have beige, so I went with white paint instead.

Other changes I made include, in no particular order.

I painted the guns.
First I did the eyes, and after that I did some of the bolts in grey. Finally, I painted what used to be the replaceable magazines. With that gimmick gone, I figured I might as well focus on the other thing they'd been used for. Pistol-whipping.
(There are hands meant for holding the pistols, but these are basic and don't permit the proper gun-kata pose with one pistol pointed up and the other down. There are no hands for holding them by the barrels either.)

I painted the inserts and teeth on the chest.
Normally these are hidden beneath the pistols, but I don't like stickers so figured I might as well in case I ever plan on posing it gunslinger-style. I also tried my hand at some more battle-damage by scraping out a wound along the abdomen, then rubbing chrome into it.

And speaking of chrome, I've rubbed more chrome all over with a cotton stick. The end result is mostly some very uneven panel-lining.

I figured the sword would also be used as a shield, so I drilled some craters into the side to indicate bullet impacts.
And I dirtied it up a bit. The edge got worked over with file so the paint would pool better and stop it from looking pristine. I did the same thing to the shoulder-knives.

The most notable change to the arms was modifying the fins.
I snipped away the part that extends backwards to make them a bit less prominent, then painted what was left. They're still big and get in the way of articulation, but I like this simple shape a lot better myself. I also painted the knuckle guards on its hands. I did another cut on the left arm where it could have caught a bladed weapon, but this didn't really come out that well.

I think that about covers most of it. The legs I left pretty much as before. I tried some very light scrapes with chrome rubbed into it, but the result was too clean so I didn't make any more after the first two or three.

So final result (minus the wings which I left at home).

I've got to say I had fun with this and was surprised at how much longer it took to complete once I started going outside of the manual's instructions. I do need a lot more practice on things like damage effects though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Posted this in the discord as well but I'm coming closer to finishing the build of my first kit!

Still have the alt hands and weapons to go and some final clean up touches. Then I'll start weathering. I did notice the joints are really hard to put together from leg to torso for example, they really need sanding down.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oooh, I forgot the Diver Ace pack had those swords. I might need to get them for my overboosted Alto.

Yeah, they look pretty dope but unfortunately the Alto doesn't have anywhere to store the blades when not in use if you want to swap weapons out. You need the shoulder bits from the 00 Diver for that. :sigh: There were also some parts I couldn't use for this build, but I did manage to fix the GN drives to the legs with a bit of plastic putty. I was pretty proud of that; they really look like they actually belong there.

MJP posted:

Edit: FINALLY, even if it's bootleg, someone's producing the ZAFT stand that came with the MG Providence. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...rchweb201603_53

Welp. Added to cart. :homebrew:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bees on Wheat posted:

Yeah, they look pretty dope but unfortunately the Alto doesn't have anywhere to store the blades when not in use if you want to swap weapons out. You need the shoulder bits from the 00 Diver for that. :sigh: There were also some parts I couldn't use for this build, but I did manage to fix the GN drives to the legs with a bit of plastic putty. I was pretty proud of that; they really look like they actually belong there.

You should consider adding the Commander Armor pack for yours. it's white, and the spikey shoulders and chestpiece would blend well with your blue-and-white design.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Picked up the Flight Type Navy Alto 30MM kit today, and found out there's actually a backstory in the manuals now.

Apparently, the Earth got hit by a weird space event, so everybody started making giant robots. Then Earth got hit with another weird space gate thingy and human looking aliens invaded.

The Alto series is the human mechs. Portanovas are from space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

the new System Weapon Kit includes the worst gun I have ever seen