Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

The North Tower posted:

Older Italian guy I work with scoffed at it not being “real literature”. I followed up and it seemed like it was just a ‘women=inferior’ usual amount of idiocy.

I’m reading Gargantua and Pantagruel and it’s like a cartoon. I wish the Ren & Stimpy guy wasn’t a sex-pest and had made this into a 100 episode series, instead. The scene-to-scene changes in size and scope of how big things are, the absurdly large and specific numbers (six hundred thousand and fourteen dogs peeing on some lady), the debate which is 4 pages of people sticking their fingers into their faces and making gestures, etc. I finished Don Quixote not too long ago, next is Simplicius, and after will be Tristram Shandy. Any other recommendations for this kind of work?

Sot Weed Factor by John Barth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Anything by Pynchon, V. is especially playful. The Man Who Was Thursday, Celine’s Journey to the End of the Night.

mason & dixon is the most rabelaisian pynchon

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

thehoodie posted:

I didn't realize this was the name of another book until Literary Hangover's most recent ep (which I haven't listened to yet :gonk: )

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

CestMoi posted:

the golden rear end by apuleius is the original picaresque 'stuff just happens' and it owns.

The Satyricon is pretty good too. The beginning and ending have been lost, but it's a very episodic story anyway. The highlight is a dinner party by Rome's most vulgar nouveau riche.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The North Tower posted:

Older Italian guy I work with scoffed at it not being “real literature”. I followed up and it seemed like it was just a ‘women=inferior’ usual amount of idiocy.

I’m reading Gargantua and Pantagruel and it’s like a cartoon. I wish the Ren & Stimpy guy wasn’t a sex-pest and had made this into a 100 episode series, instead. The scene-to-scene changes in size and scope of how big things are, the absurdly large and specific numbers (six hundred thousand and fourteen dogs peeing on some lady), the debate which is 4 pages of people sticking their fingers into their faces and making gestures, etc. I finished Don Quixote not too long ago, next is Simplicius, and after will be Tristram Shandy. Any other recommendations for this kind of work?

Please read Mulata by Miguel Angel Asturias. Thank you.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Lex Neville posted:

is a pretty popular take, actually

Seems so. Onward to REAL literature about a professor who’s sad because slightly fewer of his grad students want to gently caress him and he’s about to turn 48.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The North Tower posted:

Seems so. Onward to REAL literature about a professor who’s sad because slightly fewer of his grad students want to gently caress him and he’s about to turn 48.

that stuff is bad as well.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

lost in postation posted:

Water Margin reminded me strongly of Rabelais. The unabridged text is a little intimidating but it's loads of fun throughout.

Which translation did you read? I've got the FLP edition cos it was cheap, but I don't know how good it is.

Rabelais guy, read Journey to the West and Jin Ping Mei.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Safety Biscuits posted:

Which translation did you read? I've got the FLP edition cos it was cheap, but I don't know how good it is.

I read it in French, sorry! That said, the Shapiro translation is pretty highly regarded afaik.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

ulvir posted:

a woman who worked at the bookshop in Bergen's house of literature also scoffed at Ferrante

that's a nice bookshop, btw. I went there once and the lit mag display wall alone was worth the trip.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

The North Tower posted:

Gulliver's Travels, obvi.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
btw the genre you're looking for is called Menippean satire

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Just started Rabbit, Run. Never read any other Updike. Seems like an exercise in making GBS threads on Americans for 300 pages?

also wow this dude really likes to describe light doing things

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Just started Rabbit, Run. Never read any other Updike. Seems like an exercise in making GBS threads on Americans for 300 pages?

also wow this dude really likes to describe light doing things

former(?) forums poster tricia lockwood wrote a big rear end updike thing for lrb recently
https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v41/n19/patricia-lockwood/malfunctioning-sex-robot

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Tree Goat posted:

former(?) forums poster tricia lockwood wrote a big rear end updike thing for lrb recently
https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v41/n19/patricia-lockwood/malfunctioning-sex-robot

awesome I will read this thank you

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thehoodie posted:

fyi it's insanely, surrealistically rapey. Like, pretty much every character is either raping someone or preparing to rape someone/be raped on any given page.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
My SO has become a full-on Vannhead after reading Aquarium and Halibut on the moon. She already ordered Bright Air Black, but wants to read something not quite as bleak before it.

The reason she loves Vann is the depth of emotion in his writing. Does anyone have good tips on authors who have this depth, but preferably on some other topics than generational trauma, suicide and depression?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

sebmojo posted:

fyi it's insanely, surrealistically rapey. Like, pretty much every character is either raping someone or preparing to rape someone/be raped on any given page.

Yeah, it's a loving great book

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

sebmojo posted:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished Notes from Underground. I really love these books about complete loving losers who think they are above everyone. Any other's to recommend? (Have read Pale Fire, Lolita and The Loser which also have similar vibes of what I'm looking for)

Also all these Russian books constantly reference Pushkin. What Pushkin should I read?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

derp posted:

Just finished Notes from Underground. I really love these books about complete loving losers who think they are above everyone. Any other's to recommend? (Have read Pale Fire, Lolita and The Loser which also have similar vibes of what I'm looking for)

Also all these Russian books constantly reference Pushkin. What Pushkin should I read?

A Confederacy of Dunces
Around half of the stories from Tenth of December by George Saunders
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Factotum by Bukowski
The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
The Toy Collector by James Gunn is pretty good dark middle-brow lit from a guy that would go on to make genre flicks. He wrote it during his Troma days. S'about a guy that steals prescription drugs from his hospital job so he can buy nostalgic collectibles while he constantly fucks up his life and alienates everyone around him.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Franchescanado posted:

The Toy Collector by James Gunn is pretty good dark middle-brow lit from a guy that would go on to make genre flicks. He wrote it during his Troma days. S'about a guy that steals prescription drugs from his hospital job so he can buy nostalgic collectibles while he constantly fucks up his life and alienates everyone around him.

How, uh, self-aware is this?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

derp posted:

a bunch of pages back there were some good answers to a similar question, so click to see what else people suggested:

Peel posted:

what are some good books prominently featuring hypocrites and/or narcissists

gonna stick with dead souls and correction tho

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

derp posted:

You will continue to miss references until you've read all of Pushkin, but Yevgeni Onegin is the major work, and I like Roger Clarke's translation

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

How, uh, self-aware is this?

Pretty self-aware in many ways. Like I said, it was written over five years, during his Troma days (published in 2000) when he was living paycheck to paycheck in NYC. It is a very bleak book. It has more in common with Burroughs's Junky and Welsh's Trainspotting, or, for a film analogy, kinda like Good Time but without a heist element. Just a book about a severely depressed guy, loving over everyone around him, recalling memories of a crappy childhood with trauma and neglect, covering his wounds with totems of nostalgia, while still convincing himself that he's better than everyone around him. It's a strange outlier in his career, since he really never got anywhere as dark or as grounded as his novel. Kind of a shame he'll probably never write something as good as this, now that he's bouncing back and forth between DC and Marvel's films stuff.

It's not all bleak. It has a dark and vulgar sense of humor throughout.

It's polarizing, but I've read it multiple times at various stages in my life, and it holds up. There's a couple of book reviews out there where fans of his Marvel stuff read it and it broke them.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 28, 2020

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

derp posted:

Any of Bukowski's books should fit the bill. I think I liked them all equally, but it's been a while. Mostly a snapshot of the beat generation but if he were alive today he'd probably be at my door to bone up me jaw by typing this.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 28, 2020

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

There's a couple of book reviews out there where fans of his Marvel stuff read it and it broke them.

link

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

derp posted:

Envy by Yuri Olesha and Zeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo. Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov has powerful total loser vibes, although I wouldn't say the protagonist thinks that highly of himself.

quote:

Eugene Onegin, followed by a collection of short stories (especially Tales of Belkin and Queen of Spades).

Speaking of which, I'm starting my reread of EO today.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

derp posted:

Hunger has a guy like that, also go for Woodcutters and (arguably) crime & punishment

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Vernon Subutex by Virginie Despentes has a loser as protagonist. The titular character is a failed record shop owner, barely surviving in Paris, but also feeling above everyone else that can afford stuff like food or a place to live. It’s dire

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

ulvir posted:

Hunger has a guy like that, also go for Woodcutters and (arguably) crime & punishment

oh yeah, the motherlode of supercilious failures is bernhard's bibliography

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Franchescanado posted:

Pretty self-aware in many ways. Like I said, it was written over five years, during his Troma days (published in 2000) when he was living paycheck to paycheck in NYC. It is a very bleak book. It has more in common with Burroughs's Junky and Welsh's Trainspotting, or, for a film analogy, kinda like Good Time but without a heist element. Just a book about a severely depressed guy, loving over everyone around him, recalling memories of a crappy childhood with trauma and neglect, covering his wounds with totems of nostalgia, while still convincing himself that he's better than everyone around him. It's a strange outlier in his career, since he really never got anywhere as dark or as grounded as his novel. Kind of a shame he'll probably never write something as good as this, now that he's bouncing back and forth between DC and Marvel's films stuff.

It's not all bleak. It has a dark and vulgar sense of humor throughout.

It's polarizing, but I've read it multiple times at various stages in my life, and it holds up. There's a couple of book reviews out there where fans of his Marvel stuff read it and it broke them.

Welsh's novella A Smart oval office is a bit like that, it's loving devastating.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

None of them are amazing, but here's a few:

The actual funny reviews are people who collect toys who wanted a book about collecting toys:

sebmojo posted:

Welsh's novella A Smart oval office is a bit like that, it's loving devastating.

Oh poo poo, this sounds fun. Thanks!

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

derp posted:

portnoy’s complaint

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I see that Nabokov did a translation of EO...why on earth would i not want to get that one?

And also thanks for all the loser suggestions, so many to pick from

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

derp posted:

I see that Nabokov did a translation of EO...why on earth would i not want to get that one?
Because it barely pretends to be "verse".

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
And Nabokov had very strong and very particular views on what a good translation should be like, which is always a danger sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This reminds me of when I recommended Geek Love to a blogger and his review of it was "I thought this was going to be a cute nerd romance but it turns out it's the other kind of 'geek,' oh no"