Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

the new System Weapon Kit includes the worst gun I have ever seen

That's actually a rerelease of an old kit, the most recent one was System Weapons 010 and then they stopped the line years ago. And it's probably one of the best ones in the line, that gatling gun is really sweet. The shield's pretty grenade-y though.

edit: Dug out my old pictures of my customized Kampfer Amazing that uses them;

I called it the Kampfer Stupendous! The stock isn't for shouldering the gun, it's there to act as a counterweight to the big fuckoff barrel. Tuck it under the arm and use one of the included hands to hold it steady like it's spraying death at whatever's unlucky enough to be in front of it.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

Spin guns in Borderlands 2 always sucked unless they were Torgue.

Gunpla-adjacent but I liked this conversion I came across.

He's purging at three times normal speed!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Sniper chain gun?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gripweed posted:

:wrong:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The Gatling rifle is actually cool and good lucking.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Working on a Megami Device kit for a local contest and just snapped both upper arm joints off when trying to do some pose testing. I'm so used to gunpla being sturdy I just assumed I'd be fine.

I'll have to glue them in place. No more arm posing for this gal.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Spin guns in Borderlands 2 always sucked unless they were Torgue.

Gunpla-adjacent but I liked this conversion I came across.

He's purging at three times normal speed!

Doubling down on the image of the "fascism is bad" bullets arcing over the head of the dope going "cool space guy!"

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Gripweed posted:

the new System Weapon Kit includes the best gun I have ever seen

ftfy

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with spot-cleaning gundams before decal application? I want to make sure that I get good decal adhesion for some of the weirder decals, but I don't want to disassemble the models and then wash, rinse and dry the parts--mostly because half the time i do this, i end up never coming back to the kit.

But I was thinking that since I'm not airbrushing, and since the bigger decals generally adhere pretty well regardless, if I might split the difference by just cleaning certain spots in place with a mild cleanser (maybe a light degreaser like 409, or an alcohol-based cleaner for lenses) and wiping them off with a wet q-tip and drying. With some rare exceptions, the runners are usually pretty clean and oil free out of the box, so I'm just wondering if full degreasing them is really necessary for anyone but a perfectionist.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Yawgmoft posted:

Sniper chain gun?

spoken like someone who never missed a snipe and wished they fired a few more

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

spoken like someone who never missed a snipe and wished they fired a few more

much like my posting

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should consider adding the Commander Armor pack for yours. it's white, and the spikey shoulders and chestpiece would blend well with your blue-and-white design.

I'm thinking about it. Have it saved in my cart for next time I order stuff from Newtype.

chiasaur11 posted:

Picked up the Flight Type Navy Alto 30MM kit today, and found out there's actually a backstory in the manuals now.

drat, if I had seen that kit I would have just ordered that instead of swapping parts around from multiple kits. I guess it would have defeated the purpose of making these things highly customizable, though..

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(I actually saw this at a Gunpla Bar in Osaka, the owner was very cool and gave me a Heat Hawk brush, a cool badge, some stickers, and a tiny silver Zaku statue)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Visited a local gunpla store I saw briefly once at the mall but didn't have time to enter previously. They're a lot better stocked than I thought, have some paint supplies (unfortunately not much in terms of airbrushing supplies but there's other stores for that), and plenty of hobby and non-gunpla plamo. drat it, have to resist getting sucked in, especially with all the 30MM things coming out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argas posted:

Visited a local gunpla store I saw briefly once at the mall but didn't have time to enter previously. They're a lot better stocked than I thought, have some paint supplies (unfortunately not much in terms of airbrushing supplies but there's other stores for that), and plenty of hobby and non-gunpla plamo. drat it, have to resist getting sucked in, especially with all the 30MM things coming out.

It's too late; If you're lying to yourself, and us, you're already planning a purchase.

Give in and submit to Huey Hog bloodshed :unsmigghh:.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Taintrunner posted:

(I actually saw this at a Gunpla Bar in Osaka, the owner was very cool and gave me a Heat Hawk brush, a cool badge, some stickers, and a tiny silver Zaku statue)

Do you remember the name of the place?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Waffleman_/status/1221459960934158336

Now I just need to wait for a good time to build.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sazabi posted:

Do you remember the name of the place?

Gunpla Bar Axiz! It's a bit hard to find, I stumbled into it on accident.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Waffleman_/status/1221459960934158336

Now I just need to wait for a good time to build.

Why? You should only need 10 minutes to put it together :v:.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, I had to go to work shortly after the delivery. I might pop it open tomorrow between errands.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, I had to go to work shortly after the delivery. I might pop it open tomorrow between errands.

Clearly, Bandai needs to go beyond the 30 Minute Mission concept and create a line of Gunpla designed to be built with one hand while you're driving.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
30mm just needs more option kits with stuff like this

and more weapons variety. To a degree you can already supplement it with existing weapon and option parts from the Build series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My boy!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
30MM should have just made all option parts universal instead of separating them into Alto/Portanova parts.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I just want some leg option parts. I know they're coming, but pretty much everything released so far focuses on the upper body. I don't want my 30MMs skipping leg day.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I came home from getting RG Zeta Gundam and Red Astray because the Gunpla bug bit me once again (Also, if you are in California near Orange County (specifically Fullerton), Robot 4 Less is a cool and good store)

Then I remember, wait, don’t I have a MG Shining Gundam that I have been sitting on with only the arms done?

So I went back to work on that and got the legs done. Hopefully I will knock out the rest within the week, then I can get started on the RGs. Got to admit I am a bit nervous on how those will go if there are even more, smaller parts but it is neat to see how everything comes together.

One question about MG though: Do they usually have screws involved? That is the one annoyance I have with my current MG kit, but it is an older model (2002 it looks like?) so maybe that changed.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 27, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I came home from getting RG Zeta Gundam and Red Astray because the Gunpla bug bit me once again (Also, if you are in California near Orange County (specifically Fullerton), Robot 4 Less is a cool and good store)

Then I remember, wait, don’t I have a MG Shining Gundam that I have been sitting on with only the arms done?

So I went back to work on that and got the legs done. Hopefully I will knock out the rest within the week, then I can get started on the RGs. Got to admit I am a bit nervous on how those will go if there are even more, smaller parts but it is neat to see how everything comes together.

One question about MG though: Do they usually have screws involved? That is the one annoyance I have with my current MG kit, but it is an older model (2002 it looks like?) so maybe that changed.

Nope. MGs have almost entirely abandoned screws for more than a decade now.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Kurui Reiten posted:

I just want some leg option parts. I know they're coming, but pretty much everything released so far focuses on the upper body. I don't want my 30MMs skipping leg day.

Okay I know it sounds weird but one of the things that bugs me the most about these kits is the feet. They look tiny and weirdly proportioned. Gimme some big chonkin' Kingdom Hearts kinda feet instead. I have SD kits with bigger feet than this. :colbert:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

The G Gundam kits in particular had a screw-together frame system so they're very screw heavy, but this:

chiasaur11 posted:

Nope. MGs have almost entirely abandoned screws for more than a decade now.
I do pine for the screws now and then though.

On your RGs though, if you hate small parts then I hate to say it, but you're probably gonna have a bad time with RG Zeta. Astray Red Frame is solid and fairly simple though.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I am so mad that we got the Mobile Doll May before we got the WaDom Pod kit. The only thing is that the Mobile Doll May actually looks kinda cool. I'm a sucker for teal stripes on black.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MJP posted:

I am so mad that we got the Mobile Doll May before we got the WaDom Pod kit. The only thing is that the Mobile Doll May actually looks kinda cool. I'm a sucker for teal stripes on black.

It's not that unreasonable when you realize there's an existing Mobile Doll kit to base May's off but no HG WaDom.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't think Sarah and May share any parts

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

I don't think Sarah and May share any parts

The general anatomy and body proportions are functionally the same though, so it acts as a basis for designing the shapes of the joints and such.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Would you guys recommend the Godhand nippers? I have been using my current nippers to try to remove as much of the plastic tab as possible currently. My previous experience with the Xacto knife was...well, it wasn't bad, but I am still scared of losing a fingertip.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yes. They're really that good.

Just gotta treat em right. Use regular nippers for removal from sprue, switch to GH for clean up.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The answer for Godhands is always yes. They're night and day. Just treat em right and you're golden.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Thanks. The ones I want are the Ultimate 5.0 ones, yes?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUGEO9X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bp0lEbXAMPN3H

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Puddin posted:

Just gotta treat em right. Use regular nippers for removal from sprue, switch to GH for clean up.

+1 +1 +1

I didn't know this and after a while the nippers got like, misaligned or something. All the cuts got worse after that. Always use cheap, thick nippers to remove from the sprue! I use a $15 pair of Tamiya nippers.

I lost another pair of Godhands to rust of all things. Was carrying them in my bag and got caught in the rain. Pockets of rust emerged a few days later and my attempts to remove the rust just made the blades more brittle until the blades got notched and that was the end. Please store your Godhands in a dry place!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My previous "good" Xuron nippers ended up becoming my tree-removal nippers, and the Godhand only gets used for finishing. It really is worth it. I'm super terrible at trying to trim the extra sprue with a knife, especially if the parts are small and hard to hold. (Blue food service bandaids are highly recommended, btw. They stay stuck and are a little bit thicker and smoother than a standard bandaid, so it's more likely your knife will skim off the surface.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I use cheap nippers and an xacto knife to clean and trim down to the surface. I sometimes sand down the last bit of the nubs but I usually just use the knife for close in work.