Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

skip the ending of part 6, pucci fast forwarded past the last episode guys uh oh it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Aurora posted:

skip the ending of part 6, pucci fast forwarded past the last episode guys uh oh it's fine

Don't skip it

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Part 6 is still my favorite

So, I got through Love Love Deluxe.
Jesus Christ.
This I'll put under spoilers because I don't really know how far I am.
So, thoughts in random order:

Norisuke is a bad guy and his stand probably has more abilities because otherwise it loving sucks.

I appreciate the Bug Facts given to me throughout the gambling part. Jobin's kinda scary.

Rock People encyclopedia is the funniest poo poo and I honestly wish there were more pages with random facts about them.

It's not a secret to anyone, but I like that Araki really likes to draw hosed up bodies. Part 7 was especially weird in that regard, but here we have Puzzley King Nothing, various transformations and Rock Humans

I really hope that Kira just trolled the surfer with "are you a man of the land or a man of the sea" and the guy just ate his fingers for no reason.

Not sure how to feel about Tsurugi. They act like a child for a second and then turn into a weird perverty spy. Maybe it's just Araki not knowing how to write children (again, if we took out the ages from manga, who the gently caress is gonna think that Giorno is 15 and Lucy is 14?)

That Dog! loving rules and barely looks like anything which I'm sure is a joke at this point. There were covers featuring Iggy, and he finally looks like a dog, after all.

Going to just believe that Josuke is Josefumi because Araki rarely does fake-outs, which leads me to believe that this is why Jojolion isn't one mystery, but like a hundred of them.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 22, 2020

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My favourite thing about Josuke being Josefumi/Yoshikage is that the story has kinda just settled on only Kira being relevant anyway

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I'm still wondering if we'll ever find out why Josefumi had the Joestar birthmark.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dragonwagon posted:

I'm still wondering if we'll ever find out why Josefumi had the Joestar birthmark.

Probably not, it seems like a thing that was only there to explain how Josuke has a birthmark if Kira's body is still intact.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they both have the birthmark so i dunno why the fusion of the two would have somehow not gotten it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wanna know where the photo came from!!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SBR-verse Joseph also slept around a lot and he had siblings who also probably slept around a lot.

There are entire towns with the Joestar birthmark at this point.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstAidKite posted:

I just wanna know where the photo came from!!!

My first thought was Karera photobombed someone else's pictures but it's most likely just a selfie

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Funky Valentine posted:

SBR-verse Joseph also slept around a lot and he had siblings who also probably slept around a lot.

There are entire towns with the Joestar birthmark at this point.

I can't wait for part 9, Crazy Noisy Joestar Town.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

overmind2000 posted:

Probably not, it seems like a thing that was only there to explain how Josuke has a birthmark if Kira's body is still intact.

Well, Josuke did get two extra balls from Kira (uless Josefumi already had 4 balls and for some reason it's a twist I haven't read up to)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Vookatos posted:

Well, Josuke did get two extra balls from Kira

Correct. He also got half of each eyeball from Kira.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Correct. He also got half of each eyeball from Kira.

And tongue.

And while they both had the birthmark, the final amalgamation has a sorta mix of the 2 iirc

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Does anyone have an estimate for how close to done part 8 is? Like, a matter of a few more months, or possibly a year+?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Years, At least two more I’m guessing

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Araki gave an interview last year that indicated that everything about where we are now with the hospital is supposed to be the final arc in a "We're in Cairo", "Bites the Dust is about to activate", "We're at the Colosseum" kind of way. But with a monthly schedule that can still be 1-2 years plus.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thanks for the answers! yeah that's the sense I got for where the story was at but didn't know what that meant as far as release schedule and whatnot.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Has Araki made any noises about a part 9? Or is he done (again) with JoJo?

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Welp, I caught up with Jojolion.
What the gently caress.

At least now I understand the 89 year old meme. I can just imagine Araki giggling every time he wrote it.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

I've always felt like I understood this panel but the more I look at it, the less I do. Kira is presupposing that the triangles are similar here but that's not necessarily the case, right? Really he would have to do something like comparing Josuke's known height to the height of his finger from his perspective, instead of just deciding that Josuke's distance from him must be relative to his height

e: Wait, I think it works if Kira happens to be standing where Josuke appears to be the same height as his finger from his perspective and I'm just dumb. Anyway, we sure don't get panels like this anymore huh?

somepartsareme fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 27, 2020

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I feel like I like Jojolion more than quite a few people here. Read some posts about it from way back, and it never occured to me that this is a bad mystery or that Josuke is boring. I don't think I would've liked to spend 100 chapters with a guy going "who am I" and barely getting anywhere. Rokakaka is weird, but I like it because instead of a singular villain, we have different factions with their own motives. Some stuff isn't explained or got dropped, and that's annoying, sure. The biggest one is Norisuke being loving creepy in the beginning, but unless he has some secret plan, it seems he and Josuke are getting along well. Smaller things are expected, since it's Araki, and he can just change his mind and go with weirder poo poo.

somepartsareme posted:

Anyway, we sure don't get panels like this anymore huh?
Part 7 had some like this, where during Valentine's Big Speech almost every bubble had weird emoticons. "GUARANTEE OK" loving slayed me. And while there's not many gags like that, Araki is wonderful at visual humor. Doctor Wu, as loving creepy as he was, made me laugh a lot. First you see the "DOCTOR" scribbled on his badge, but then it zoomes out to show he's got two, and the next panel reveals the third one on his back.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

somepartsareme posted:

I've always felt like I understood this panel but the more I look at it, the less I do. Kira is presupposing that the triangles are similar here but that's not necessarily the case, right? Really he would have to do something like comparing Josuke's known height to the height of his finger from his perspective, instead of just deciding that Josuke's distance from him must be relative to his height

e: Wait, I think it works if Kira happens to be standing where Josuke appears to be the same height as his finger from his perspective and I'm just dumb. Anyway, we sure don't get panels like this anymore huh?
I was legit bummed we didn't get this whole spiel in the anime.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Technowolf posted:

Has Araki made any noises about a part 9? Or is he done (again) with JoJo?

I'm sure there'll be a Part 9, I just wonder if he'll take a break to design or go straight into it like he did between 7 and 8 which is nuts to me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

I was legit bummed we didn't get this whole spiel in the anime.

Yeah, that and the similar thing during the superfly fight getting cut was sad, I was looking forward to seeing both of those get adapted.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
They also cut the narrator just turning up outta nowhere in the middle of RHCP to exposit about how cool Akira's guitar is

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, that and the similar thing during the superfly fight getting cut was sad, I was looking forward to seeing both of those get adapted.

God I was so hype for the calluses. You can start fires with them.... use them to call birds...

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Oh my loving god, I just realized that Gappy decided to get hosed up by the rain to get to the hospital and cheat the whole dangerous chase bullshit! I know this is probably obvious, but I just assumed that was his way of prolonging and getting out of the whole situation.
He's a good jojo, and I can't wait to see what sorta crazy bullshit comes next!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So when's the reveal that Gappy is also part Johnny and that the bubble actually just being a thread that spins is an extension of that and he realizes how to spin to win :v:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

While we're on the subject of things DiU cut, let's not forget Cheap Trick ordering 20 pizzas

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SteveMightSay/status/1223071839922147330

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

It's really gross he doesn't say boner.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/asikoh009/status/1229795301566734336

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Well, after months of reading I finally finished Steel Ball Run. It's difficult to gauge how it compares to the other Jojo parts since I've only watched parts 1 through 5 (not read). That said it was still very good. I really enjoyed how the made the cast simple by only having a duo again rather than a whole crew. Both the protagonists are very likable, and while Gyro clearly is the "leader", Johnny doesn't come across as a push over. The stand battles were also awesome. It really says a lot that when the World makes a surprise appearance it is seen as just another above average stand rather than the end all be all.

The only things that bothered me was that the series was far too "stand of the week" focus, as chapters not focusing on a sole stand battle were few and far in-between. I also disliked how Johnny failed to defeat Dio at the end. I know that it was cool to subvert expectations, show that Dio's really formidably is his smarts, and displaying how capable Lucy is. But it just didn't feel like it fit. I'm also likely beating a dead horse with this but it was weird seeing a 14 year old sexualized so much. Also lol at the deathrow kid dying by a cold anyway at the end.

Overall, one of the best parts and best manga I've ever read.

I'd rank the series like so:

4 > 7 > 2 > 3 > 5 > > 1

Waiting on the inevitable Part 6 anime.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If I had one serious criticism of Araki's writing style, it's that he should write parts of the story that aren't 'and then they were attacked by another enemy Stand user'. Every part from SDC onwards suffers from enemy of the week fatigue at some point, and for my money VA was sunk by it. It's okay to give your characters some downtime, and even have them react to things other than people trying to kill them!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

multijoe posted:

If I had one serious criticism of Araki's writing style, it's that he should write parts of the story that aren't 'and then they were attacked by another enemy Stand user'. Every part from SDC onwards suffers from enemy of the week fatigue at some point, and for my money VA was sunk by it. It's okay to give your characters some downtime, and even have them react to things other than people trying to kill them!

Every part should have an "italian restaurant" episode.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
This is why part 4 is in fact the best part

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also lol at the deathrow kid dying by a cold anyway at the end.

Such is the nature of 「Fate」

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

somepartsareme posted:

This is why part 4 is in fact the best part

Nah, 7, it has more banter and downtime than any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm also angry that we never see the racers "Kanye" and "Nellyville".