Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drone posted:

Halfway through the RLM Re:view I started to kinda get the suspicion that their thoughts were so negative about it purely because, at this point after so many years of panning new Star Trek/Star Wars media, people kindof expect them to pan. It's hard to imagine, in 2020, what a positive Re:view video looks like.

Also nerd outrage gets clicks, unfortunately.

It's really sad to check out other threads on SA where the video's been posted and see people go "wow, this show must really suck then, never gonna watch it now" based on Mike and Rich's word alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's really sad to check out other threads on SA where the video's been posted and see people go "wow, this show must really suck then, never gonna watch it now" based on Mike and Rich's word alone.

Yeeeeeeeah but isn't that kind the purpose of reviews? You find people's whose taste you generally agree with to give advice about which products to invest your time in? With the sheer saturation of media, I don't blame people for not bothering with something that gets a poo poo review from a trusted source.

But I'd agree that having a single outlet for your recommendations is a terrible idea and limits your exposure to things you may actually enjoy.

Same with criticism after the fact. If I come out of a film hating it, the first place I go is positive reviews to see what people got out of it. I may not be swayed, but that just confirms my instincts and is valuable in its own right.

e: that said, if the review is the same length as the episode, well you may as well watch the episode and make your own drat mind up. I like long form stuff plenty, but that's retrospective and needs a bit to say, which is why this review falls flat to me.

In conclusion, land of contrasts, etc...

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 28, 2020

MrData
Jun 28, 2008
I know it's a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but I can't be the only one annoyed at the use of holograms in modern scifi? No imagination is shown here, just repeat whatever sci-fi show has done before. How is watching something on a half-transparent screen, where your living room is visible through the screen, complete with 1920's phone style sound, preferable to a 1990's flat screen TV?

So much bad writing in this first episode, but enough neat things (like the archives) to hold my attention.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Watching that review from rlm right now and I have questionssssssss. A lot of them.
Why in hell they nitpicking only dubious things? I don't even want to start on what they, presumed TREKKIES got wrong about loving TNG! I did. They are bad.

:redflag:"Picard never was friends with Data, he tolerated him". JLP was never on-screen friends with anyone on the ship (he finally opened up a bit in the end of All good things and joined the poker night) besides some slight compassionate moments with Beverly and always took his affections elsewhere. Because he is a Starfleet officer who runs this ship. That cut to when Data's shuttle explodes and they cut to Picard being 'unaffected' by presumed Data's death and telling Geordi to go get some rest they got poo poo to do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfQdf93e63I&t=228s. Picard is The Captain of Enterprise. He can cry, grieve, bang his head on a bulkhead all he wants but by 0800hrs (and not a second sooner or later) he will be on the bridge commanding the drat ship. And he has same high standards for anyone on his ship. This is who Picard is.

:redflag:Next cut to the reporter asking if Picard ever doubted in Data to which Picard laughs and says No, followed by a cut of 'Data doing questionable things' with a few appearances of Lore. Did these guys even watch ST TNG? Or the whole premise of shown episodes in which Data is trying to be human and resolve something on his own, or being controlled or is NOT DATA but Lore is alien to them? That's what the Data's arc about, about Data and his search of being more human via acting more human, making his own decisions and facing the consequences. Or being replaced by Lore and being believed by the team because they trust him and treat him as equal. Even that captain that 'tolerates him' trusts him.

:redflag:Laughing at their own lame joke about Picard and Data having sex with Borg Queen. 'Audience laughed'. Yeah, right. Re:view target audience of neckbeard fedoras are jumping in joy because of mention of 'intercourse' and how it is pivotal in Picard+BorgQueen+Data resulting in their 'daughter' Dahj. Riiiight. All that bullshit because we saw a borg cube for a brief moment and romulans have taken it. Should be because sex in 'First Contact'.

:redflag:JJTrek red substance and Romulus' sun going nova. And trying to explain what really happened in ST:P with cuts between JJTrek and Inner Light for 'filling the holes'. We still not have any explanation besides JJTrek but cmon guys you call yourselves trekkies, go loving watch the 2009 movie or read memory alpha, not just 'oh I remember spock doing something alone yada yada'. Or not. Or it should have destroyed the galaxy but only romulus and remus exploded. Ugh.

And thats the first 12 minutes of the 're:view'. I'm honestly not going to waste more time on the people who pretend to know anything about trek but seemingly just skimmed through first links of googling star trek trivia.

edited some phrasing and minor errors but without any :effort: whatsoever.

ps.
All that I see about these guys is 'fairly known youtube channel' are being salty and butthurt because they are 'the trekkies' who were not invited to premiere, or have requested a pre-screening and were denied due to being 'too insignificant' and now trying to sink the ship.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 28, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MrData posted:

I know it's a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but I can't be the only one annoyed at the use of holograms in modern scifi? No imagination is shown here, just repeat whatever sci-fi show has done before. How is watching something on a half-transparent screen, where your living room is visible through the screen, complete with 1920's phone style sound, preferable to a 1990's flat screen TV?

Yeah that bugs me too, especially since 90s Trek always used fully opaque holograms that are clearly superior.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

One thing I did like about the RLM Re:view was their dig at Jay for not knowing poo poo about Star Trek.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

All that I see about these guys is 'fairly known youtube channel' are being salty and butthurt because they are 'the trekkies' who were not invited to premiere, or have requested a pre-screening and were denied due to being 'too insignificant' and now trying to sink the ship.

I seriously doubt that, if there's one thing they hate more than new Trek/Wars it's sycophantic fan culture and the they roast the jilted lover type of fan you described regularly.

I agree with your point re: the Picard / Data relationship though. That was a very narrow reading of the character.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 28, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Lizard Combatant posted:

I seriously doubt that, if there's one thing they hate more than new Trek/Wars it's sycophantic fan culture and the they roast the jilted lover type of fan you described regularly.

I dont know, never watched a full episode of them but this is what they seemed as from first look.

(ironic, right? haha)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I dont know, never watched a full episode of them but this is what they seemed as from first look.

(ironic, right? haha)

Hah point taken.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So have they already straight up said Picard doesn't take place in the jj alternate timeline where Romulus' sun still exploded? I feel like it casually hand-waves all the problems people seem to be having like why the federation are dicks now, why earth is seemingly a dystopia instead of a utopia, why does Picard love Data when before he just had moderate respect for him? At the end of the day I think i'm just able to pretend that is the case and turn off my nerd brain and just enjoy the show, I watched a review on youtube of the first episode and the dude said Data having 5 Queens was because "the future is female" and I'm just like wow dude take a deep breath.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Drone posted:

Halfway through the RLM Re:view I started to kinda get the suspicion that their thoughts were so negative about it purely because, at this point after so many years of panning new Star Trek/Star Wars media, people kindof expect them to pan. It's hard to imagine, in 2020, what a positive Re:view video looks like.

Also nerd outrage gets clicks, unfortunately.

They just did a pretty positive re:view on Mandalorian, so it's not hard to imagine at all!

I dunno, they are nitpicky nerds but I don't really think their complaints about Picard are all that out there. They are wrong about some things and use some bad faith clips WRT the Data stuff, but I don't think they are being performative or all that unfair to the show. It all depends on how dedicated you are to the old ideas of Star Trek, no matter how outdated they are, and they are obviously very dedicated to them, so of course they're going to pick apart all the things they disagree with. I mean at least it opens with Rich Evans saying it isn't bad, which is a far step above Discovery.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 28, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

del: misread a post.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So have they already straight up said Picard doesn't take place in the jj alternate timeline where Romulus' sun still exploded? I feel like it casually hand-waves all the problems people seem to be having like why the federation are dicks now, why earth is seemingly a dystopia instead of a utopia, why does Picard love Data when before he just had moderate respect for him? At the end of the day I think i'm just able to pretend that is the case and turn off my nerd brain and just enjoy the show, I watched a review on youtube of the first episode and the dude said Data having 5 Queens was because "the future is female" and I'm just like wow dude take a deep breath.

Picard cared deeply for Data the same as as he grew to for all the members of his senior crew, Earth is still a utopia, and the Federation turned mildly dickish in foreign policy after suffering a huge very central attack which massively crippled Starfleet. Did you watch the terrible RLM review?

Anyway, Picard takes place in the prime timeline, it's been stated.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Discovery was mostly just "and they have this really cool technology that does this" without thinking anything of it. Then someone realizes "oh poo poo, that didn't exist in TOS and our show takes place right before that." The solution was always "Wow, turns out that technology really sucked rear end, and the federation never used it again." They probably decided to throw them into the future so they could finally do cool poo poo without having to constantly worry about "BUT KIRK NEVER HAD THAT!"

I like your imagining of the writers' room like a scene from The Hangover.

"We're not done with this scene yet, anyone got any peyote left?"
"No but we can get more tomorrow"
"Tomorrow...tomorrow that's it, we'll throw them into the future woo hoo crack open that other 40 pounder of vodka, we. are. done.!"

One Nut Wonder posted:

I would shoot waves and waves of cum if Q showed up.
John DeLancie's son played Q in a Voyager episode so bringing him back could be one way they get around the aging of the continuum.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 28, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Picard risked his life to save Data in First Contact. He makes it very clear how important Data is to him then and there.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Just off the top of my head, Picard invites Data to come check out the Dixon Hill program in "The Big Goodbye", and offers him advice on acting on the holodeck in "The Defector" and "Devil's Due". The idea that they weren't friends and only interacted as colleagues is ridiculous.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And of course the biggest and most blatant one: Data loving DIED specifically to save Picard’s life. Even if they weren’t friends prior to that (they were), it kind of changes the way you view a person if they straight up sacrifice their life for you. And Picard has had 20+ years to ruminate on this and wrestle with survivor’s guilt. So yeah no loving wonder he became obsessed with Data to the point where he’s showing up in his dreams on a nightly basis.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

just another posted:

How did the Federation know about the supernova long enough in advance to start building an evacuation fleet but not long enough for everything to be down to the wire?

I usually don't care about EU stuff all that much but I tracked down the prelude comic book they made out of curiosity and it says that Starfleet spent four years helping evacuate planets before withdrawing from the mission.

They only found out a few years in advance because the Romulans kept it a closely guarded secret.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Seemlar posted:

I usually don't care about EU stuff all that much but I tracked down the prelude comic book they made out of curiosity and it says that Starfleet spent four years helping evacuate planets before withdrawing from the mission.

They only found out a few years in advance because the Romulans kept it a closely guarded secret.

This is a bad taste in worldbuilding but still something.
Makes RLM's shitrant even less viable.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

This is a bad taste in worldbuilding but still something.

I don't think you should be expected to read a tie-in comic.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
You aren't expected to. How long the Federation knew isn't actually important or relevant to the story Picard is telling, the tie in just has an answer if you do want to know.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Watching that review from rlm right now and I have questionssssssss. A lot of them.
Why in hell they nitpicking only dubious things? I don't even want to start on what they, presumed TREKKIES got wrong about loving TNG! I did. They are bad.

:redflag:"Picard never was friends with Data, he tolerated him". JLP was never on-screen friends with anyone on the ship (he finally opened up a bit in the end of All good things and joined the poker night) besides some slight compassionate moments with Beverly and always took his affections elsewhere. Because he is a Starfleet officer who runs this ship. That cut to when Data's shuttle explodes and they cut to Picard being 'unaffected' by presumed Data's death and telling Geordi to go get some rest they got poo poo to do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfQdf93e63I&t=228s. Picard is The Captain of Enterprise. He can cry, grieve, bang his head on a bulkhead all he wants but by 0800hrs (and not a second sooner or later) he will be on the bridge commanding the drat ship. And he has same high standards for anyone on his ship. This is who Picard is.

:redflag:Next cut to the reporter asking if Picard ever doubted in Data to which Picard laughs and says No, followed by a cut of 'Data doing questionable things' with a few appearances of Lore. Did these guys even watch ST TNG? Or the whole premise of shown episodes in which Data is trying to be human and resolve something on his own, or being controlled or is NOT DATA but Lore is alien to them? That's what the Data's arc about, about Data and his search of being more human via acting more human, making his own decisions and facing the consequences. Or being replaced by Lore and being believed by the team because they trust him and treat him as equal. Even that captain that 'tolerates him' trusts him.

:redflag:Laughing at their own lame joke about Picard and Data having sex with Borg Queen. 'Audience laughed'. Yeah, right. Re:view target audience of neckbeard fedoras are jumping in joy because of mention of 'intercourse' and how it is pivotal in Picard+BorgQueen+Data resulting in their 'daughter' Dahj. Riiiight. All that bullshit because we saw a borg cube for a brief moment and romulans have taken it. Should be because sex in 'First Contact'.

:redflag:JJTrek red substance and Romulus' sun going nova. And trying to explain what really happened in ST:P with cuts between JJTrek and Inner Light for 'filling the holes'. We still not have any explanation besides JJTrek but cmon guys you call yourselves trekkies, go loving watch the 2009 movie or read memory alpha, not just 'oh I remember spock doing something alone yada yada'. Or not. Or it should have destroyed the galaxy but only romulus and remus exploded. Ugh.

And thats the first 12 minutes of the 're:view'. I'm honestly not going to waste more time on the people who pretend to know anything about trek but seemingly just skimmed through first links of googling star trek trivia.

edited some phrasing and minor errors but without any :effort: whatsoever.

ps.

“Remember when he stabbed your staff psychiatrist in the elevator because he was having dreams?” is an extremely funny line.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Seemlar posted:

You aren't expected to. How long the Federation knew isn't actually important or relevant to the story Picard is telling, the tie in just has an answer if you do want to know.

Ok, but responding to

I'd say it is if not knowing makes the inciting incident confusing or seemingly out of character.

It's not a major hangup for me, but it is a warning sign of potential half baked intrigue, or people doing things out of character for plot's sake. We'll just have to see where it's going.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I’ve watched a handful of RLM reviews over the years and I’ve never understood why goons hold them in such high esteem. They aren’t funny or insightful, I feel like I’m missing a joke here.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't think you should be expected to read a tie-in comic.

It is not expected but we are talking about nitpicking ultrafans who know how many cats played Spot by episodes. For the storytelling it is okay.
In other words - you are not expected to know how much this process takes IRL.
They knew, they tried to help but because of the attack the plans were disrupted and ultimately scrapped, which led to Picard's disgust with SF. We know Picard, we know how he values life and that 900 million lives were at stake and we can see why it was so important for him.

It just happened and was the cause. Nothing half-baked in my books.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

marktheando posted:

I’ve watched a handful of RLM reviews over the years and I’ve never understood why goons hold them in such high esteem. They aren’t funny or insightful, I feel like I’m missing a joke here.

They used to be funny, and reasonably insightful in the sea of bad takes on youtube, but these days they're just... Old and angry.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm still holding out hope and waiting for a RLM redemption storyline. :(

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

It is not expected but we are talking about nitpicking ultrafans who know how many cats played Spot by episodes. For the storytelling it is okay.
In other words - you are not expected to know how much this process takes IRL.
They knew, they tried to help but because of the attack the plans were disrupted and ultimately scrapped, which led to Picard's disgust with SF. We know Picard, we know how he values life and that 900 million lives were at stake and we can see why it was so important for him.

It just happened and was the cause. Nothing half-baked in my books.

I don't know how many cats played Spot.

I also haven't read this comic, so I don't know how much more background it gives.

But the Federation, an organisation of hundreds(?) of planets, scrapped all plans to render assistance to the Romulan evacuation after an admittedly major setback.
A move that Picard calls out as a disgrace (implying something could still be done, however reduced in scale), and a major departure from what we've previously seen of the Federation.

That's the info we get in the show.

That's the inciting incident for Picard's starting point this season and (presumably) the wider plot.

We're given an explanation as to why it was scrapped in the micro ("shipyard attack"/"allocation of resources to an old adversary") but not the macro, as to what caused this shift in Federation ideology that this is the response to a setback, or why they even needed convincing before the shipyard attack.

That's what I think people are taking issue with, it's a major change that I suspect will never be addressed.

So when you said it was addressed in the comic, I thought wow, that's really burying the lead.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 28, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I think RLM might reduce their criticism if the show doesn't end up being about superweapons and destroying the Federation (still worried that it might end up like that). I do wish that they'd give the fans just a little more world-building though - what is happening to Starfleet makes perfect sense in the context of the aftermath of the Dominion war and sadly, as that was all on a 90's show no one watched, it will never be mentioned.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RLM is still pretty good and funny when they aren't being pedantic Star Trek nerds, which, contrary to popular belief, only happens like two or three times a year.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Lizard Combatant posted:

So when you said it was addressed in the comic, I thought wow, that's really burying the lead.

This is unfortunately becoming the norm in sci-fi for the last decade or so. Specifically for Star Trek, a number of I would think very important facts about Star Trek 2009/JJ Trek were revealed only in the prequel comic, such as Nero's ship being enhanced with Borg technology (which is why it's big and spiky) and apparently him communing with V'Ger of all things to find out where Spock was in the Kelvin-verse, as well as the technology level disparity being explained as recovered scans from the Kelvin fast-tracking Federation tech to lense-flare levels.

Again, all of this was in the prequel comic that I certainly did not read, but it sure seems important!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I will never read a comic from a sci-fi property, I made the mistake of reading Trek graphic novels as a kid and I won't subject myself to that again. They need to keep exposition in the confines of the drat show/movie.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Zutaten posted:

This is unfortunately becoming the norm in sci-fi for the last decade or so. Specifically for Star Trek, a number of I would think very important facts about Star Trek 2009/JJ Trek were revealed only in the prequel comic, such as Nero's ship being enhanced with Borg technology (which is why it's big and spiky) and apparently him communing with V'Ger of all things to find out where Spock was in the Kelvin-verse, as well as the technology level disparity being explained as recovered scans from the Kelvin fast-tracking Federation tech to lense-flare levels.

Again, all of this was in the prequel comic that I certainly did not read, but it sure seems important!

Is it? I'd argue none of that stuff matters for the story or setting personally.
As much as I didn't care for that film, I'm now extremely thankful none of that made it in. I don't think I could have taken that in a cinema going experience.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Zutaten posted:

I think those are perfect examples of why tie ins aren't important actually.

Like all the stuff in it like Data being resurrected and captain of the Enterprise, Nero preemptively killing V'Ger so the original timeline events could never happen, the 'explanations' for technology levels in the movie... none of that stuff matters in the slightest. The most charitable thing to say about it is that it's trivia for a Wikipedia page.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Thom12255 posted:

I think RLM might reduce their criticism if the show doesn't end up being about superweapons and destroying the Federation (still worried that it might end up like that). I do wish that they'd give the fans just a little more world-building though

I agree with this, and really, really hope it's not going that path. I'm hoping the Romulans are literally trying to reclaim Romulan drones, or something along those lines.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

And of course the biggest and most blatant one: Data loving DIED specifically to save Picard’s life. Even if they weren’t friends prior to that (they were), it kind of changes the way you view a person if they straight up sacrifice their life for you. And Picard has had 20+ years to ruminate on this and wrestle with survivor’s guilt. So yeah no loving wonder he became obsessed with Data to the point where he’s showing up in his dreams on a nightly basis.

This is an excellent point that I wanted to make but I was phone posting and had like 45 seconds earlier.

gently caress red letter media.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MichiganCubbie posted:

I agree with this, and really, really hope it's not going that path. I'm hoping the Romulans are literally trying to reclaim Romulan drones, or something along those lines.

That could be interesting. Your empire massively depopulated and the Borg defanged, it would be appealing to try to "reclaim" some of those taken in order to flesh things out a bit.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Picard was willing to become Locutus again so Data could be freed.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is it? I'd argue none of that stuff matters for the story or setting personally.

Seemlar posted:

I think those are perfect examples of why tie ins aren't important actually.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what matters and what doesn't matter in terms of back-story in huge properties like this and Star Wars. I'm definitely guilty of weighing wikipedia apocrypha a bit too heavily, but that's because my personal bias leans towards fun facts being important.
For what it's worth, I personally thought the first episode of Picard was reasonably easy to follow, and I have the sneaking suspicion that armchair reviewers often miss the obvious because they're too busy writing down hot takes and not actually watching the episode. And since this is prestige television and not old school serialized self contained episodes, I assume we have a whole season of plot development ahead of us that will answer these questions. Or more likely deem them unimportant.

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Is the setup that complicated? Starfleet put together a huge evacuation fleet, it got blown up with the rest of the shipyards, the Federation decided 'screw that, we're not putting together a second fleet just to save the Romulans, besides, we need to deal with these rogue synths', Romulus goes kaboom. Does the exact timeline of how long building an evacuation fleet took matter?