Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hawkperson posted:

Yeah I saw last night and I’m somewhat relieved, but still kind of wary that there might be fallout from that somehow (and screw the person in the comments going “but what about the feelings of the bigots?!”)

I have never been happier to be wrong, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
AYMTAV4 44-48 out

quote:

Han De profoundly closed his eyes.

“The right person in the wrong place can make all the difference... in the world.”
Yeah! Tell 'em, H-Man!

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Today’s HWFWM Patreon (yes I have a problem) chapter ends with a troll on his readers that made me laugh out loud.

“I guess we’ll just have to wait and see,” Jason said. “I don’t imagine we’ll be using them until the trials are over, though.”

“That would be the sensible approach,” Clive agreed. “People are going to get impatient to find out what they do, though.”

“Yeah,” Jason said. “I’m willing to bet there are a bunch of people who’ll be annoyed at how long it takes to reveal what the awakening stones we’ve found here do.”

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Today's Katalepsis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1tDpkpnzT8

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Zheng/new character.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Zheng/new character.

Zheng/Kimberly, the dangerhorny is real.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Zheng/Kimberly, the dangerhorny is real.
Poly! Poly! Poly!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Really Praem is already a one-person poly machine- if I understand correctly her personality basically congeals like a neural network that uses her friends' behavior and personalities as a training lexicon, and given how 99.5% of her roommates are thirsty weirdos I'm anticipating goofy nonsense of the highest order as she matures.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Really Praem is already a one-person poly machine- if I understand correctly her personality basically congeals like a neural network that uses her friends' behavior and personalities as a training lexicon, and given how 99.5% of her roommates are thirsty weirdos I'm anticipating goofy nonsense of the highest order as she matures.

I am not 100% sure of this, I mean where did the maid thing come from? Unless somebody has a yet unvocalised maid fetish.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The maid outfit had to come from somewhere.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Patrat posted:

I am not 100% sure of this, I mean where did the maid thing come from? Unless somebody has a yet unvocalised maid fetish.

In reality I'm assuming that she learns from her friends instead of copying them, and the maid thing is part of her developing a distinct and unique personality. For comedy purposes, however, I'm kind of hoping that every goofy fetishistic thing she does is a dark mirror of whomever it would embarrass the most. I mainly like the latter because it means that every time she walks in with a new and offputting fetish, everyone in the house has to go "...oh god, which one of us is she copying from."

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

You know, I may have subconsciously had that scene in mind. Not gonna rule it out.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hungry posted:

You know, I may have subconsciously had that scene in mind. Not gonna rule it out.

Literally the only thing that isn't improved by a goofy scene from a Guy Ritchie movie is another goofy scene from a Guy Ritchie movie, and honestly even that's debatable.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Mother of Learning finale has been delayed to Feb 2. Yes, that day.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cicero posted:

I guess I get it, I mean, I'd go for the pun too if I was them.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

According to the patreon comments, it was coincidence. He's definitely aware of it now, though.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The latest Patreon TWI was okay. Kinda boring, and a bit confusing. So there is this scene where Lyonette sees herself in the door/scrying orb, but I thought the door was now in a protected hallway outside of the main inn, according to the previous chapter.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cicero posted:

I don't get it at all

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
mother of learning is a web serial about repeating one day over and over. February second is groundhog day. Groundhog Day (1993) is a film about one man experincing a day repeating over and over.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

MoL is about repeating a month, not a day, but yes. Groundhog Day is the most well known example of a time loop story.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Does TWI ever stop introducing new characters? I'm in the 4th arc, absolutely did not care for the flos chapters and last night I saw there's yet another perspective and I just put it down like OK there are enough people now and the story hasn't really gone very far for the amount of words I've read, is this ever going to pick up or just meander forever?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Btw, if you never watched Groundhog Day, you are missing out. One of Bill Murray's best.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Does TWI ever stop introducing new characters? I'm in the 4th arc, absolutely did not care for the flos chapters and last night I saw there's yet another perspective and I just put it down like OK there are enough people now and the story hasn't really gone very far for the amount of words I've read, is this ever going to pick up or just meander forever?

It slows down, a lot. It's more like over time it's slowly introducing the major political players of the world, or characters that are personally relevant to the outworlders, and the outworlders that are significant enough that they're going to inevitably end up in a crash course with the main characters someday. Once it hits a certain saturation, and all of those characters have all the groundwork necessary laid, the number of new characters and the time spent on the non-core cast becomes more reasonable.

Some of the ''new characters'' are more like short stories voted for by patreon members that don't NECESSARILY have main plot relevance (though chances are at some point many of them will probably at the least have a cameo) and you only get a small handful of chapters for, ever, and then their story is either finished or wrapped up for a very long time until a 'sequel' is voted for on patreon.

Sometimes the new character is just for one of those chapters where you get to see how incredibly weird a situation or character we already know is from an outside point of view, or to show how something the main characters did had consequences they weren't aware of, and they're not actually going to stick around as perspective characters beyond that one or two chapters. (Though, again, the list of side-characters patreon members can vote to get a chapter for is pretty large, so if they're popular enough..)

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 28, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bhodi posted:

it definitely stops introducing new major perspectives and pares down the prominence of some of them as things go along. it does genuinely get a little bloated for a while, but then it slims back down. after that there are a lot of interlude type chapters where a minor character you already know shows you the world from their perspective, but only a few major perspectives, and chapters start sometimes containing more than one perspective at a time (which makes the flos chapters especially more tolerable).

but honestly, TWI is a very slow burn story where the "overall plot", to the extent that there is one, is not going to be resolved any time soon. just enjoy each chapter as a short story instead of zooming through them waiting for the part where it picks up, because it does not have a traditional introduction-action-resolution structure as a whole story, though individual chapters or books might.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

I don't get it at all

I just thought everyone was referring to the fact that it was 02-02-2020 but i didn't get the joke.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Man, gently caress the Gods Above in Practical Guide. They can just be needlessly petty sometimes. At least with Below you know where you stand

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jade Mage posted:

Man, gently caress the Gods Above in Practical Guide. They can just be needlessly petty sometimes. At least with Below you know where you stand

It helps to remember that our perspective is mostly from the villains. Of course the Gods Above seem like dicks.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LLSix posted:

It helps to remember that our perspective is mostly from the villains. Of course the Gods Above seem like dicks.

To be fair, even the "real world" gods of most religions are dicks, regardless of whether they're supposed to be "good" or not.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
This one seems entirely on Cat though maybe I'm missing something.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

asur posted:

This one seems entirely on Cat though maybe I'm missing something.

Oh it deffo is, but just the Apostle and Apostate parralel is just vicious

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Has TWI switched to a Weds + Sun schedule?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Has TWI switched to a Weds + Sun schedule?

no, pirateaba just goes to bed at a reasonable hour now, so instead of staying up till 6am to finish the chapters, she goes to bed and writes through the day of release to get them out.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
TWI 7.03:

When Ksmvr asked, it was really funny all things considered.

When Bird asks the question, in Pallas, with the entire world watching..... the entire world collectively shits itself.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

no, pirateaba just goes to bed at a reasonable hour now, so instead of staying up till 6am to finish the chapters, she goes to bed and writes through the day of release to get them out.

Ah the previous two were released after midnight so I thought I'd missed an announcement somewhere.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Grimalkin :allears:

And I get the feeling the Punishment Cell was a mistake.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 29, 2020

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Kalas posted:

TWI 7.03:

When Ksmvr asked, it was really funny all things considered.

When Bird asks the question, in Pallas, with the entire world watching..... the entire world collectively shits itself.

This chapter was great, especially the end.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Been reading the Wandering Inn and am now mostly caught up (finished book 6, will let it go for a while, at least through book 7 before I return). I like it! However, I am a little disappointed by a lot of book 6. It just felt very unfocused. And previous books did bounce around a lot, but I felt like they at least had more of a climax. The real problem is everything in Riverfarm. I was already very down on Emperor chapters, and the witch stuff was just not good. Felt like nothing happened except maybe providing an excuse to get Ivolethe back, and I didn't actually want her back. She was cool, but I would have rather not had her ever appear in person again. Also Ryoka was just there while things happened. Not so good. On the plus side, Ryoka's return was generally very positive (Fierre is great), and Pisces was in top form. He's definitely very cool, as are the rest of the Horns, and that's my favorite group to focus on. The Antinium are a close second. While Emperor and King are near the bottom of the list.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Caught up with Ward chapters. The characters continue to be the best part of that series, and the interludes are always interesting. I really liked the recent Moonsong one. I'm sad for Tristan. I really liked his character, but it makes sense for a teenager to end up reacting the way he did after finally fully coming to grips with the impact his past crime will have on his life going forward. It was just a tremendous gut punch to have him inadvertantly cause the death of one of his other old Reach teammates like that (and also poor Byron having to suddenly wake up to his power killing said teammate). I also really liked the stuff with the patrol people + Rain from Gilpatrick's perspective, and how they ended up actually having a pretty big impact on things. It's neat to get a view into the sort of things that motivate Gilpatrick, and how Rain specifically might have significance to him given his background. I also hope that Chris manages to figure something out. I lol'd at him being a tsundere with giving the healing syringe to Victoria.

PracGuide being back is also good. I'm really wondering if/when we'll see the other shoe drop with Akua. It's hard to tell if the stuff with Akua emotionally reacting to stuff is acting on her part. I feel like it would be best if it weren't acting, simply because "character who is so great at acting/deceiving that you can literally never know anything for certain" is a really lame trope and it doesn't really make sense for Akua to not have been affected by spending so much time with Catherine etc - she's not a sociopath. But she also fits pretty neatly into what Aisha said about Sahelians "being so likable and useful" (though that's in Praesi contexts so I don't know if it really makes sense to fully apply it to Akua, since Akua is constantly exposed to very different people). It's also hard to think of a way for an Akua betrayal to even fit into the current situation with the campaign against the Dead King.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 1, 2020

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
akua will betray cat and become a hero by vanquishing the biggest villain of a generation, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

PracGuide being back is also good. I'm really wondering if/when we'll see the other shoe drop with Akua. It's hard to tell if the stuff with Akua emotionally reacting to stuff is acting on her part. I feel like it would be best if it weren't acting, simply because "character who is so great at acting/deceiving that you can literally never know anything for certain" is a really lame trope and it doesn't really make sense for Akua to not have been affected by spending so much time with Catherine etc - she's not a sociopath. But she also fits pretty neatly into what Aisha said about Sahelians "being so likable and useful" (though that's in Praesi contexts so I don't know if it really makes sense to fully apply it to Akua, since Akua is constantly exposed to very different people). It's also hard to think of a way for an Akua betrayal to even fit into the current situation with the campaign against the Dead King.

I certainly don't expect Akua to betray at this point. It would be a really strange (and admittedly disappointing) turn after everything that's happened. I don't think she's fooled by what Cat wants for her, but it doesn't matter if she willingly puts herself into that role and plays it to its fullest.