Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dr Gero and 19 can beat up Nappa and Vegeta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Counter: Gero and a rebuilt 19 sticking around as hard guerilla fighters who steal energy until you're just weak enough would be some cool poo poo and proto-Moro

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Let's not forget that Dr. Slump won an award in that one Super episode for inventing a machine that can grant any wish. Just let him do a few improvements and you probably don't even needs the Dragon Balls anymore.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Earth's Good Timeline End is essentially becoming a Mortal Level Rank #1 Universe because it will be an infinite Heaven paradise

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Burkion posted:

Who'd win the name argument there

Goku for 'name my first kid after my grandpa' or Bulma for 'name my kid after underwear'

extremely late but, Gohanes

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Black August posted:

It's incredible to realize that Gero created successful infinite-energy post-humans with nanomachines, combination Raiden+Armstrongs, still able to improve like humans but never able to tire

and now one of them has had a kid with the World's Strongest Not-Post-Human

Marron is essentially the future and will one day down the line mingle with Saiyan blood in lineage, meaning earth will eventually be Human+Saiyan+Android with some divinity thrown in there from Bulla

Fast forward a 1000 years and humans are going to be loving next level

Unfortunately, infinite energy apparently isn't that special. The new Seven Eleven Android also has it and he came from space.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Really strong energy > infinite energy in Dragon Ball too apparently

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Darth TNT posted:

Unfortunately, infinite energy apparently isn't that special. The new Seven Eleven Android also has it and he came from space.

Just wait til he reveals that he’s ANDROID #711

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

multijoe posted:

Really strong energy > infinite energy in Dragon Ball too apparently

I mean, in most fights being able to take down your opponent quick > outlasting your opponent. You need to specialize a lot on defense to win by outlasting your opponents.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I'm just considering a scenario where the timeline get jumbled a little and Frieza comes to Earth and get mashed by Android 18.

Robo-Frieza is bragging about his cybernetic enhancements and Gero just starts laughing his rear end off.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yes, but imagine if Freiza got crafty as hell, and while near-dead on earth decides to enhance his own cybernetics with some of Gero's stuff, and ends up with semi-infinite energy on top of his ki.

An alternate permanently mecha-Frieza with Android powers would be scary as poo poo

Caros
May 14, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

dr.gero and 19 probably could have probably taken down frieza if they played their cards right.

All it takes is freeza throwing one death all at them and he is probably in for a bad time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Black August posted:

An alternate permanently mecha-Frieza with Android powers would be scary as poo poo

I only watched like half of that recent Heroes anime but isn't that basically what Cooler is now? ie stupidly strong mecha-Frieza but he can only push himself so hard before his implants malfunction

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

amigolupus posted:

Let's not forget that Dr. Slump won an award in that one Super episode for inventing a machine that can grant any wish. Just let him do a few improvements and you probably don't even needs the Dragon Balls anymore.

I mean, that one episode of Super demonstrated that Bulma is 99% of the way there anyway.

And for the rare thing that she can't just throw ludicrous amounts of money and SCIENCE! at to solve, it takes her about an hour to just summon Shenron herself.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I only watched like half of that recent Heroes anime but isn't that basically what Cooler is now? ie stupidly strong mecha-Frieza but he can only push himself so hard before his implants malfunction

Yes, but he's also under Fu's control, which Freeza wouldn't ever accept (neither would Cooler but he doesn't get much of a choice here).

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I uh haven't really been following Heroes outside of like 3 episodes
I know there was Golden 5th Cooler and Golden 4th Cooler and why didn't they just skip to Golden Mecha 5th Cooler like the loving Digimon he is and let him be The Alien + The Terminator + Shredder + Mugen Palette_12

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Black August posted:

I uh haven't really been following Heroes outside of like 3 episodes
I know there was Golden 5th Cooler and Golden 4th Cooler and why didn't they just skip to Golden Mecha 5th Cooler like the loving Digimon he is and let him be The Alien + The Terminator + Shredder + Mugen Palette_12

Probably because Metal Cooler has never been shown in his transformed state, and Heroes wasn't willing to make that up.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Probably because Metal Cooler has never been shown in his transformed state, and Heroes wasn't willing to make that up.

Cooler was never shown in a Golden form and Heroes had no issue making THAT up.

Heroes is completely willing to give non-canon characters new forms and fusions, they just try to spread them out for marketing reasons.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm watching the original Dragon Ball for the first time, only just finished the second episode but this is really good! Should have done this ages ago.

How much longer after Z did Funimation dub this? It feels way closer to the Japanese version (I get that impression anyway) than the initial Z dubs probably were, also the OP and ED are English versions of the Japanese songs rather than something like Rock the Dragon. Also surprised that they didn't censor Goku's seemly constant nudity.

EDIT: I did read a few volumes of the manga a few years back, watching episode 3 and some of this filler with Pilaf is weird. He didn't appear until the end of the first hunt for the Dragon Balls and they've inserted him and his team as recurring antagonists and there is a scene in episode 3 showing some villagers worshipping him in a village in front of his castle. I never got the impression (from what I remember of the manga) that he had anyone else other than Mai and Shu. It's weird that they seem to be trying to make him more a big deal than the joke he actually is.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 26, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

I'm watching the original Dragon Ball for the first time, only just finished the second episode but this is really good! Should have done this ages ago.

How much longer after Z did Funimation dub this?

I don't have an exact production schedule but based solely off wikipedia, DB was dubbed in '01 and Z finally concluded in the west in '03. Sooo, same time?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was watching the original Dragon Ball on Toonami/Adult Swim before the Buu Saga proper started airing

So yeah, the re-dub of Dragon Ball is way more recent

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Jesus Christ what is wrong with Recoome's English voice???

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Siegkrow posted:

Jesus Christ what is wrong with Recoome's English voice???

Which one? I think he's had three.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
You do well! Huh huh. You do well.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I unno, it was bad in Budokai and it is bad in kakarot, it is just, Jesus, I dunno. Bad.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nanigans posted:

You do well! Huh huh. You do well.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Team Four Star were the only ones to ever give Recoome a good voice

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Siegkrow posted:

I unno, it was bad in Budokai and it is bad in kakarot, it is just, Jesus, I dunno. Bad.

The Ocean dub tried to do an Arnold Schwarzenegger-ish tough guy voice with him from what I remember. When Funimation picked it back up years later, Sabat tried to imitate the voice, for consistency's sake, but it became more a moronic strong guy voice because Sabat was really new then. Since then, they've kinda just been sliding more and more down the "embarrassingly dumb meathead" scale, and so current dub Recoome might as well have a concussion 24/7.

Give it a few more years and he won't even form words, he'll just giggle and groan.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I liked ocean dub Recoome.

https://youtu.be/D2dH-VD0aQw

Funi Recoome can go to hell.

https://youtu.be/_-8i3wnmLW4

Straight to hell. :colbert:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

The Ocean dub tried to do an Arnold Schwarzenegger-ish tough guy voice with him from what I remember. When Funimation picked it back up years later, Sabat tried to imitate the voice, for consistency's sake, but it became more a moronic strong guy voice because Sabat was really new then. Since then, they've kinda just been sliding more and more down the "embarrassingly dumb meathead" scale, and so current dub Recoome might as well have a concussion 24/7.

Give it a few more years and he won't even form words, he'll just giggle and groan.

He kinda sounds like someone making fun of the mentally ill :(

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I love picking vegetables from my garden.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Siegkrow posted:

He kinda sounds like someone making fun of the mentally ill :(

I didn't want to say it directly, but, yeah, pretty much.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've only just done the Goku vs Captain Ginyu fight in DBZ: Kakarot, but some of the story fights so far have been brutal.

Like, taking on more than one person is pretty annoying ask the time because you're constantly interrupted. On top of that though the story bosses seem to be able to shrug off most of your attacks that prevent you from even doing a basic combo. Then they launch into back to back supers that are nigh impossible to block or avoid.

Is there some basic fighting mechanic I'm missing or is it like this right up until the end of the game?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Kin posted:

I've only just done the Goku vs Captain Ginyu fight in DBZ: Kakarot, but some of the story fights so far have been brutal.

Like, taking on more than one person is pretty annoying ask the time because you're constantly interrupted. On top of that though the story bosses seem to be able to shrug off most of your attacks that prevent you from even doing a basic combo. Then they launch into back to back supers that are nigh impossible to block or avoid.

Is there some basic fighting mechanic I'm missing or is it like this right up until the end of the game?

Things I've learned:

Ending a melee combo with Triangle/Y will give you Ki back and knock away enemies. This can be abused pretty easily, letting you do a lot more supers than you otherwise would with just standard charging.

That Guard + Square/X move will basically cancel out any damage you would take for about a full second, even slightly after the animation ends, so use it as you get the feel for the timing of enemies doing that "stand there with super armor and charge up a big melee attack" thing. Where they've got red electricity around them. You can't cancel that attack, but you can cancel the damage.

You can't just spam moves that do Stun damage over and over, but you can certainly drop a bit of melee in between them. Though, once you use your Hyper Mode mechanic or whatever, where you can chain Super moves, you can absolutely chain Stun damage moves over and over, and you can abuse that maliciously.

Don't waste Ki to do the Guard + Circle/A move that takes you behind opponents, they've either got super armor going, they have a damage aura, or you just run into their guard. There's no major advantage to doing it, and it wastes so much more Ki then just getting the gently caress out of the way.

On that note: When a big rear end attack is coming, get out of the way. You can guard through it, but you'll still take damage and it'll probably break your guard anyway. There's no shame in just boosting away and avoiding it altogether, you're not going to dump a ton of damage on them in return for eating a big beam to the face. Don't forget you can hold R2/Right Trigger to move vertically, too.

Sometimes a fucker is just a big wall of HP. Use items, unless you're trying to do some self-imposed challenge. There's no penalty for using items in-game, and you can just set them to a D-Pad menu that slows time when you open it. Just abuse them, it's not worth the headache of trying to tough it out when they don't bother to heal you between fights.

Again, on that note: Opening one of your menus in a fight, be it Supers, Items, etc, activates Slow Down (unless you turn that off), but you can still move. If you need to dodge an attack real fast, it doesn't hurt to open a menu to get some more reaction time.

Final note: Stun break, Stun break, Stun break. If you're one on one with a big wall of HP, focus on stun breaking them. You can do a lot more damage when they're stunned. As Goku, at least early on, a really good strategy seems to be stun break, Hyper Mode, Kaioken, and then dump a Spirit Bomb in their face. It'll do big damage. Honestly Spirit Bomb is kind of OP, and if you're using the Triangle/Y combo ender to get back Ki, you can spam the gently caress out of it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Miching Mallecho posted:

I liked ocean dub Recoome.

https://youtu.be/D2dH-VD0aQw

Funi Recoome can go to hell.

https://youtu.be/_-8i3wnmLW4

Straight to hell. :colbert:

I remember watching DBZ when it first came out and was convinced that Raditz's WATCH THE BIRDIE was the name of a devastating attack that we never got to see

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Things I've learned:

Ending a melee combo with Triangle/Y will give you Ki back and knock away enemies. This can be abused pretty easily, letting you do a lot more supers than you otherwise would with just standard charging.

That Guard + Square/X move will basically cancel out any damage you would take for about a full second, even slightly after the animation ends, so use it as you get the feel for the timing of enemies doing that "stand there with super armor and charge up a big melee attack" thing. Where they've got red electricity around them. You can't cancel that attack, but you can cancel the damage.

You can't just spam moves that do Stun damage over and over, but you can certainly drop a bit of melee in between them. Though, once you use your Hyper Mode mechanic or whatever, where you can chain Super moves, you can absolutely chain Stun damage moves over and over, and you can abuse that maliciously.

Don't waste Ki to do the Guard + Circle/A move that takes you behind opponents, they've either got super armor going, they have a damage aura, or you just run into their guard. There's no major advantage to doing it, and it wastes so much more Ki then just getting the gently caress out of the way.

On that note: When a big rear end attack is coming, get out of the way. You can guard through it, but you'll still take damage and it'll probably break your guard anyway. There's no shame in just boosting away and avoiding it altogether, you're not going to dump a ton of damage on them in return for eating a big beam to the face. Don't forget you can hold R2/Right Trigger to move vertically, too.

Sometimes a fucker is just a big wall of HP. Use items, unless you're trying to do some self-imposed challenge. There's no penalty for using items in-game, and you can just set them to a D-Pad menu that slows time when you open it. Just abuse them, it's not worth the headache of trying to tough it out when they don't bother to heal you between fights.

Again, on that note: Opening one of your menus in a fight, be it Supers, Items, etc, activates Slow Down (unless you turn that off), but you can still move. If you need to dodge an attack real fast, it doesn't hurt to open a menu to get some more reaction time.

Final note: Stun break, Stun break, Stun break. If you're one on one with a big wall of HP, focus on stun breaking them. You can do a lot more damage when they're stunned. As Goku, at least early on, a really good strategy seems to be stun break, Hyper Mode, Kaioken, and then dump a Spirit Bomb in their face. It'll do big damage. Honestly Spirit Bomb is kind of OP, and if you're using the Triangle/Y combo ender to get back Ki, you can spam the gently caress out of it.

Awesome that helped quite a bit.

I even managed to beat second form Frieza with Gohan in an apt plot way by excessively pummelling him with charged supers to guard break him.

I take it there's no real way to do crowd control though? Especially when you're fighting solo.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Kin posted:

I take it there's no real way to do crowd control though? Especially when you're fighting solo.

Pretty much, so far as I can tell. The best advice for taking on three opponents at once while solo is basically item spam, and if that doesn't help, wait until you're a handful of levels higher to retry the fight. They don't care if they're off screen, they WILL attack you. Except for Training Spot fights and story fights, I think you can come back and do group battles later with a party, so don't sweat it if you don't have to. Sometimes just having some meat shields can turn the tables, even if the enemies are like 5 levels or so above you.

On that note, too, don't be scared to go get Chi-Chi to cook you a full course meal. Meal boosts add up, and the ingredients for the better ones become easier and easier to find in the wild as the game progresses. Don't bother hoarding for the late game ones, you'll get to them when you get to them.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

I remember watching DBZ when it first came out and was convinced that Raditz's WATCH THE BIRDIE was the name of a devastating attack that we never got to see

I was certain that I saw that attack names on the wiki as well, but I can't find it. Did I dream that

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

I was certain that I saw that attack names on the wiki as well, but I can't find it. Did I dream that

Here you go. The Dragon Ball Wiki is always removing & updating attack names based on whatever Heroes or Xenoverse decides to pull out their arses so it can be hard to keep up with what alot of characters moves are 'actually' called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

multijoe posted:

Here you go. The Dragon Ball Wiki is always removing & updating attack names based on whatever Heroes or Xenoverse decides to pull out their arses so it can be hard to keep up with what alot of characters moves are 'actually' called

a fun thing i learned the other day talking to a friend who did localization work on xenoverse is that she was consulting the wiki for attack names, meaning the wiki having silly names for attacks is self-perpetuating