Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Thom12255 posted:

In the US I use Lensrental.com which I've never had a problem with for cameras/lenses.

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon-600mm-f4l-is-ii

It appears that they'd charge you about $360 in total (plus the delivery, tax and insurance) for a week of use with that lens so the UK company seems to be legit too though I don't know why they expect you to give them the entire value of the lens for the duration but perhaps because they don't offer insurance of their own like Lensrental does?

Yeah so essentially I'd have to give them the value of the lens and then if something happened to it they'd take that money and then i'd have to negotiate with my own insurance who might value the lens differently and might give me the lens which I don't want to buy at that price want rather than the cash value of the lens back.

edit:
I just rang these guys and it is much simpler, insurance is included, slightly pricer but all up front costs.

http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/product/canon-ef-600mm-f4-l-is-ii-usm

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I used Brent when he had a rental service, and never had to do anything like that either.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I would not trust a company that I had no prior relationship with to hold that much of my cash.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

jarlywarly posted:

Yeah so essentially I'd have to give them the value of the lens and then if something happened to it they'd take that money and then i'd have to negotiate with my own insurance who might value the lens differently and might give me the lens which I don't want to buy at that price want rather than the cash value of the lens back.

Are you trying to say “security deposit”, or am I misunderstanding everything?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

XBenedict posted:

Are you trying to say “security deposit”, or am I misunderstanding everything?

my understanding is security deposit would be held in trust not just paid as if I was buying the lens with the promise of getting it back when the lens was returned which is was the Wex guy was saying, maybe I misunderstood.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Fools Infinite posted:

I think amazon drive has a drop box style interface available if that fits your workflow.

That's kind of what I was thinking of too. As long as it's somewhat integral it could be okay for my use as a hobbyist. I'll have to monkey around with it.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Any of you guys use Autopoles/Varipoles? I'm thinking about picking some up (probably the Impact Varipole) along with a crossbar to temporarily mount seamless paper backdrops and maybe eventually some canvas ones. Please talk me into / out of this idea.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Side rant; I'm part of a local Facebook photography group and it's pretty :rolleyes: how the most trite, HDR+clarity to 11, cheesy stuff gets a lot of attention and the rare, truly neat photographs sort of just go back to the void, unnoticed. Not even talking about my own stuff, here.

I have to look for a better group :ohdear:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
just post your stuff here and get your rear end kicked like everyone else

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Atlatl posted:

just post your stuff here and get your rear end kicked like everyone else

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Side rant; I'm part of a local Facebook photography group and it's pretty :rolleyes: how the most trite, HDR+clarity to 11, cheesy stuff gets a lot of attention and the rare, truly neat photographs sort of just go back to the void, unnoticed. Not even talking about my own stuff, here.

I have to look for a better group :ohdear:

This is every Facebook photography group.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've made token efforts at looking for local photography groups and it's pretty goddamn bleak. I'm sure some of them are fine people and I have seen some decent work but they're all boomers or stay at home moms.

Like, hanging out with photographers is cool and necessary but I need peeps I can relate to.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Side rant; I'm part of a local Facebook photography group

I’ve found the source of the problem here.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

XBenedict posted:

I’ve found the source of the problem here.

lol. Agreed.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I decided to join a local group when I moved a few months back (to a rural'ish area). Lasted about a week. Which was disapointing as I was hoping that it'd allow me to meet people in the area to collaborate with.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I'm pretty cynical, some photographers want people to imagine that their photos congeal from their personal pure talent and involve no technical side at all and as such are not very keen to talk shop lest it give people a view behind the curtain.

Ultimately despite Instagram, Facebook etc you have to take photos for yourself (unless you get paid for them obvs) because outside of a few nerds who take similar images other people (especially other photographers) are generally not that interested in your photographs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No one is interested in MY photographs, that's true. :v:

However I do devour other photographer's work and always want more of it. But it's less about feeding the social media engine and is more about studying the images I like and trying to incorporate the techniques I find into my own shots because learning picture taking in a vacuum is a giant waste of time.

I assume I'm not the only one with that opinion!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

xzzy posted:

No one is interested in MY photographs, that's true. :v:

However I do devour other photographer's work and always want more of it. But it's less about feeding the social media engine and is more about studying the images I like and trying to incorporate the techniques I find into my own shots because learning picture taking in a vacuum is a giant waste of time.

I assume I'm not the only one with that opinion!

You're not indeed but some people just don't want to share.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

buy more photo books

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i just bought some steve fitch books, very excited to look at them

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought Adam Gibbs' book because that's the kind of photos that make me all tingly.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

I like and trying to incorporate the techniques I find into my own shots because learning picture taking in a vacuum is a giant waste of time.

Curious, how do you and others here do this?

For me, I typically only do it when I'm branching out into a new area of photography. I find a bunch of photos I like, and try to replicate them.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i look at photo books like the pillar

imo looking at things only when you're trying out a new "area" of photography is selling yourself short, photography is vast and there's so much to explore in places you think you've covered

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I couldn't give much of a explanation because the whole process is 100% subjective based on my own library of photos. I see someone else's picture I really enjoy, pull up an example of something similar I've done, and identify bits from both I do and don't like. Then next time I'm out with the camera I try to eliminate the stuff I don't like and incorporate more of the stuff I do like.

It's also fun to take other people's photos I don't like (not necessarily bad photos, just ones that don't resonate) and think about what it would take to make it an image I would enjoy more. Lighting, a different crop, adding or removing elements, etc.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i'm feeling like talking about photo books so here's some pictures from a book i can't afford, lee friedlander's "america by car"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

This one is pretty neat.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The "my first DSLR" thread is archived, so I'm gonna ask here. Please let me know if there is a better place.

My wife has an old Nikon D80 with a kit lens. I picked it up this week and started playing around. I'm having fun! I guess this camera is about 13 years old now. If I'm serious about moving forward as a hobbyist, am I wasting my time learning fundamentals on this D80? Have there been enough advances in DSLRs that I should think about buying something newer?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Ehud posted:

My wife has an old Nikon D80 with a kit lens. I picked it up this week and started playing around. I'm having fun! I guess this camera is about 13 years old now. If I'm serious about moving forward as a hobbyist, am I wasting my time learning fundamentals on this D80?

no

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ehud posted:

The "my first DSLR" thread is archived, so I'm gonna ask here. Please let me know if there is a better place.

My wife has an old Nikon D80 with a kit lens. I picked it up this week and started playing around. I'm having fun! I guess this camera is about 13 years old now. If I'm serious about moving forward as a hobbyist, am I wasting my time learning fundamentals on this D80? Have there been enough advances in DSLRs that I should think about buying something newer?

Do not replace that camera yet. If it is still functional, it will tell you everything you need to know about if you want to go further. Consider a used 50mm f1.8 to let you have some more capability at low cost.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

torgeaux posted:

Do not replace that camera yet. If it is still functional, it will tell you everything you need to know about if you want to go further. Consider a used 50mm f1.8 to let you have some more capability at low cost.

my man!

Whether or not I should upgrade from the kit lens was gonna be my next question. I’ll look into some lenses that fit the criteria you mentioned.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ehud posted:

my man!

Whether or not I should upgrade from the kit lens was gonna be my next question. I’ll look into some lenses that fit the criteria you mentioned.

There are lots of good lenses out there, but a used 50 1.8 is cheap, versatile, and basically future proof.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ehud posted:

To build on what others said: just go shoot. It was a step above the entry level when new, and should still be able to take good-looking photos even now. Just don’t expect it to be great at night or in the dark.

Go get a 50 mm f/1.8 lens or a 35 mm f/1.8 lens and have fun. Take a few thousand shots and you’ll know where you need to improve the gear.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

harperdc posted:

To build on what others said: just go shoot. It was a step above the entry level when new, and should still be able to take good-looking photos even now. Just don’t expect it to be great at night or in the dark.

Go get a 50 mm f/1.8 lens or a 35 mm f/1.8 lens and have fun. Take a few thousand shots and you’ll know where you need to improve the gear.

poo poo, forgot that in Nikon world the 35 1.8 was similarly priced, right?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The DX (for crop sensors) Nikon 35mm 1.8 is a good lens for the money, and is probably a more useful focal length than 50mm on a crop body. It is also the only non-specialty DX prime Nikon makes.

A Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 isn't a ton of money used either.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Fools Infinite posted:

The DX (for crop sensors) Nikon 35mm 1.8 is a good lens for the money, and is probably a more useful focal length than 50mm on a crop body. It is also the only non-specialty DX prime Nikon makes.

A Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 isn't a ton of money used either.

Yeah, I was Canon boy before the Fuji shift, and it ain't the same in canonland. I'd not get the sigma yet, it replicates the kit and if he's looking to give his interest before putting real money in, use the kit for a while.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

So a used version of this may be my best all-around newbie lens upgrade?

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-Focus-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ehud posted:

So a used version of this may be my best all-around newbie lens upgrade?

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-Focus-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0

It’s a good one to start with.

If you have a 17-50 zoom lens on the camera now, it should have markings that indicate when you’re zoomed to both 35 and 50. Use it and think about which you’d like the most. In photo hobby money, $200 is nothing, but that’s once you’re far down the rabbit hole.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I just took three photos and only two of them saved to the memory card. I then got a bit tinfoil hat and took 5 more photos. Went to try to review them and it took a very long time to load them. Suspecting my memory card might be dying?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Thanks for everyone's help. It just so happens a local guy had a Nikon 35mm 1.8 for sale. Just got it home and am currently shooting pictures of fruit under my kitchen lights lol

Tomorrow will be a fun day :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

huhu posted:

I just took three photos and only two of them saved to the memory card. I then got a bit tinfoil hat and took 5 more photos. Went to try to review them and it took a very long time to load them. Suspecting my memory card might be dying?

Likely. I've been happy with the Sandisk Extreme Plus cards I have. 64GB for $25 for the SD version with really good read/write speeds.